Author Topic: WOW Jordan and Mike Portnoy reunite  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Stef1

• DTF.org Alumni
WOW Jordan and Mike Portnoy reunite
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:49:11 AM »

Have not seen this posted but it needs to be seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkPD8vsKgM
Bought a lump to my throat.

Offline adastra

!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 02:17:05 AM »
Whoa! :heart :heart :heart
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline MirrorMask

Re: WOW Jordan and Mike Portnoy reunite
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:37:02 AM »
You would have seen it if you'd have seen the topic about Mike in the General music discussion  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:00:09 AM »
Thousands of annoying Facebook comments by MP fanboys about reuniting MP and DT and how DT is shit without MP in 3.. 2.. 1..
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
It's cool that they did that, but it's too bad they didn't play something different.  I am rarely that keen on medleys, and I never liked the Instrumedley much at all (it's too random, bouncing from one song to another with no rhyme or reason).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:15 AM »
At least it was not a song with vocals and therefore we'll be spared the "X dude sang this better than James" comments.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 08:59:30 AM »

I love medleys. They are like a mini setlist all in one place.

So great to see these two playing together again.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »
Also, Dream Theater's FB page posted about it. Nice touch, after all there's nothing wrong or to be ashamed of to acknowledge both friendship, and a musical event which involves a present DT member and the most important of the past ones.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »
Also, Dream Theater's FB page posted about it. Nice touch, after all there's nothing wrong or to be ashamed of to acknowledge both friendship, and a musical event which involves a present DT member and the most important of the past ones.

Definitively a nice touch. But sad to read the comments. It's funny that many say that this is the real DT. It doesn't matter that JP and JM are not present.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:54 AM »
I couldn't have put it better myself.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »
At least it was not a song with vocals and therefore we'll be spared the "X dude sang this better than James" comments.

Except they probably wouldn't have. :P  They certainly didn't on the cruise last year and I remember how many people commenting that seeing each singer struggle made James look better.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »
Captain Obvious says it's just two friends enjoying themselves. Fun stuff.

It doesn't mean Peter Gabriel is going to reunite with Genesis.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 08:22:43 PM »

Definitively a nice touch. But sad to read the comments. It's funny that many say that this is the real DT. It doesn't matter that JP and JM are not present.

Sadly, some people have a double standard when it comes to these things.  For whatever reason, they undervalue the whole DT lineup sans MP and blindly praise eveything MP does. When DT played Paradigm Shift in 2012 with Mangini and Tony Levin as a one off thing, many people complained that how dare them play LTE music without Portnoy, that it is disrespectful blah blah. Then, MP started touring with PSMS and played Acid Rain in every show and they were like "he wrote that song too, he can play it anytime he wants" :facepalm: Same with the DT songs, he went out with a DT cover band made of Haken + Petrucci wannabe Eric Gillette and people were saying they were better than real DT. Their blind MP fanboyism is so strong they fail to see the last DT lineup with Portnoy in it also had other 4 guys who are still in the band today.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »

Yeah, if only the fans were as classy as the band.

I feel that's just some MP fanboy hyperbole. If by any means MP got on stage with JM, people would say that's the real DT, or if he got on stage with JP and so forth.

That being said, I agree to some extent with what some people say about that Instrumedley performance. It feels kinda like old-school DT. A heartfelt, fast as fuck (oh, MP) performance. DT kinda lost that after MP left (not bashing MM who I love dearly, or the MM-era DT which I also love very much); but that's the way things work. You win some stuff, and on the other hand you lose other stuff when you change things up. On a related note, holy shit Eric Gillette. He's truly JP's biggest and greatest apprentice. For some moments I was just listening to the YT videos and not watching it and I could swear I was hearing JP playing.

I also wish people would stop being so childish and annoying not only with the "IS THE REAL DT COMING BACK NOW PLS" comments but the "LTE PLS WE NEED THAT TO HAPPEN PLS" comments. I understand the desire fans have for an album of that caliber (I mean, I don't think there's a single DT fan that would not be excited about another LTE album) but that was NOT the point of that performance. As it was already said, that's just two old friends getting together and proggin' it out for old times sake. It does seem that moving on is something incredibly hard for people.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 09:25:07 PM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline PetFish

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 09:57:20 PM »
Yep, this was really cool to see.

The fact that official DT sources have been posting and commenting on it just shows how much class the DT side has had about the situation since day one.

Offline genome

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 05:00:14 AM »

To be fair, it would be weird if Gabriel went back to Genesis because he saw Rudess and Portnoy playing together.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 05:06:22 AM »

To be fair, it would be weird if Gabriel went back to Genesis because he saw Rudess and Portnoy playing together.

:rollin