Author Topic: Holy Crap all the anti Mangini You tube posts are annoying!!!  (Read 4040 times)

Offline bill1971

Holy Crap all the anti Mangini You tube posts are annoying!!!
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:56:09 AM »
There is a guy who basically covers DT songs on drums. He's a very good drummer but basically just fills over the songs. He just covered Paralyzed and people are saying how they wished he drummed for DT instead of Mangini!
Good lord.

Anyhow, it's really puzzling. I can see if someone prefers MP's style over Mangini but the hate is sickening

Offline erciccio

Re: Holy Crap all the anti Mangini You tube posts are annoying!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:59:33 AM »
There is a guy who basically covers DT songs on drums. He's a very good drummer but basically just fills over the songs. He just covered Paralyzed and people are saying how they wished he drummed for DT instead of Mangini!
Good lord.

Anyhow, it's really puzzling. I can see if someone prefers MP's style over Mangini but the hate is sickening
Why care about a bunch of nerds?
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 12:12:03 PM »
Good lord.

Good point.
Logically you are correct but I still get annoyed. :)

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »
He'd completely destroyed FITL  :lol

But it's always the same thing.. He overplays any shit in a Mangini-era song and everyone says "Oh my God, much better than the original and  yada yada yada"  :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 12:54:00 PM »
I don't get that YouTube channel. The first two videos I saw were kinda fun for the lulz of it, but now I'm kinda getting the impression of a sad impersonator.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 03:20:35 PM »
Welcome to the internet.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »
I don't get that YouTube channel. The first two videos I saw were kinda fun for the lulz of it, but now I'm kinda getting the impression of a sad impersonator.

Yeah, he could definitely pass for Portnoy. The video should be called "Paralyzed if played by Mike Portnoy".

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
If we're thinking about the same youtube channel, the guy honestly seems like a Mangini fan as well, at least from some of the video descriptions. He sure plays the new stuff Portnoy-ish-ly, which is kind of interesting to me (a good source of visualizing the "what if").

That being said, I'm with you. I do not get the Mangini hate at all. Literally different strokes in this case, but I'll support and love what MM does in and for DT forever. Who cares if some people are stuck to the past?

Offline bill1971

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 04:56:29 PM »
I think that drummer is a Mangini fan too. He just mimics his look and playing style after Portnoy. It's the people in the comments that are against Mangini.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
I think the issue is
If these songs are 100% Mangini
Why making a Portnoy impersonation to play them?
Dress as Portnoy when you fcking play Portnoy songs, not Mangini's, you're only triggering trolls.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »
I think the issue is
If these songs are 100% Mangini
Why making a Portnoy impersonation to play them?
Dress as Portnoy when you fcking play Portnoy songs, not Mangini's, you're only triggering trolls.

People don't like Mangini, but they love Portnoy. Maybe that's the answer.

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2019, 12:38:12 AM »
Just watched Paralyzed, this guy is atrocious to the point of being ridiculous. This is the most pointless overplaying I have ever seen. OK, he's perfected MP's style, but MP doesn't overplay - his fills are always at the right spot and augment the song, instead of hampering it.

Thumbsdown-ed the video instantly, sorry.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 03:56:09 AM »
Good lord.

I'm sure Mangini isn't going to lose any sleep over it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 08:14:12 AM »
Good lord.

I'm sure Mangini isn't going to lose any sleep over it.

Exactly. He's the drummer of one of the biggest prog bands ever. Has the administration and respect of his band mates, all top notch musicians and maybe 100 people online don't like him. I think he can live with that. :)

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 03:23:40 AM »
Nice recent FB post by Mangini:

"Oh gosh, the negative comments don't bother me as their data is usually wrong about what, or how things happen. Opinions are opinions. When people are used to something, it is usually the most comfortable zone and we don't like being taken out of our zones. I'm understanding like that. However, most will be silenced when they hear Pale Blue Dot and I think everyone will be shocked with they hear another couple of songs not yet heard and you'll know why when you hear them- and why they were not put out first. I believe that this record 'may' be the best received of all I'm on though once the whole thing is heard. It is the only one I contributed actual music for and I was involved with mic placement and some frequency suggestions that got used, so it means the most to me anyway. I'm not really looking for more than a majority of thumbs up. I don't like it so much when a band puts one out and headlines read, "this is our best!" It usually isn't and cannot be if people have had favorites for years or decades. Those moments can't be replaced. As long as it gets an overall thumbs up, I'll be happy."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2019, 03:24:45 AM »
Great guy  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Pettor

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2019, 03:41:46 AM »
Well this is the internet/Youtube climate in general. It's loud and a few people can make a lot of noise. Most people just don't comment. Sadly people like Mangini don't deserve it.

It's like we created this thing that if you don't yell "shit" even when it's just a small preference you somehow are not (or believed to not be) heard. But in general people are very positive and weirdly when negative commenters face reality it sounds quite different.

Offline Art

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:29 AM »
Youtube comment sections are pure crap. I've learned to ignore it.

Offline genome

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2019, 04:21:37 AM »

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2019, 04:37:25 AM »
I think it isn't a Internet/Youtube thing, but a fan thing. Internet/Youtube have only amplified the voices.

Steve Morse is another good example of an exceptional musician who has been getting that kind of shit for 25 years. Even before the internet thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »
"...I was involved with mic placement and some frequency suggestions that got used"

To open another can of worms, am I the only person surprised by that comment? I don't think I've ever heard of a band where the drummer isn't the one directing the sound engineer about mic placement. The way MM worded it it sounds like this album is the first time that happened.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 10:04:14 AM »

"Oh gosh, the negative comments don't bother me as their data is usually wrong about what, or how things happen. Opinions are opinions. When people are used to something, it is usually the most comfortable zone and we don't like being taken out of our zones. I'm understanding like that. However, most will be silenced when they hear Pale Blue Dot and I think everyone will be shocked with they hear another couple of songs not yet heard and you'll know why when you hear them- and why they were not put out first. I believe that this record 'may' be the best received of all I'm on though once the whole thing is heard. It is the only one I contributed actual music for and I was involved with mic placement and some frequency suggestions that got used, so it means the most to me anyway. I'm not really looking for more than a majority of thumbs up. I don't like it so much when a band puts one out and headlines read, "this is our best!" It usually isn't and cannot be if people have had favorites for years or decades. Those moments can't be replaced. As long as it gets an overall thumbs up, I'll be happy."

Beautiful!!!!! Well stated.  A true world class musician and human.  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
Good lord.

I dunno, people seem to put a lot of stock into what the nerds here say.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 12:50:43 PM »
"...I was involved with mic placement and some frequency suggestions that got used"

To open another can of worms, am I the only person surprised by that comment? I don't think I've ever heard of a band where the drummer isn't the one directing the sound engineer about mic placement. The way MM worded it it sounds like this album is the first time that happened.

That caught my attention as well, and yeah it does seem weird.

I guess I can see both sides.  Sure, MM is a world-class drummer, but the sound engineer is the expert at capturing a good drum sound in the studio.  This is his domain; the best drummer in the world will not necessarily know what it takes to get a good drum sound.  (And no, I'm not going comment on the sounds of MM's drums in DT thus far.)

But to come out and say he made some suggestions and they actually listened to them this time, wow.  It does sound like this isn't how they did it before now, and he's slipping in a little regret about that.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 12:55:53 PM »

Ok, Bosk and others will people be silenced once they hear Pale Blue Dot? Is it that different? Is it just a Sound of Contact cover?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 01:46:43 PM »
Mangini's playing is out of control on that song. As is on most of the other songs on the album. S2N holy smokes.
any rock can be made to roll

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 03:48:54 PM »
Mangini's playing is out of control on that song. As is on most of the other songs on the album. S2N holy smokes.

I'm one of his more outspoken critics here (just as far as his drumming in DT goes, really like the dude himself) and I don't understand the philosophy that his drumming in one song or even one album will somehow invalidate my criticisms. I don't like his drumming on DT, but I really like his drumming on Illumination Theory. Does that mean my dislike of it on the rest of the album is invalid? No. I can hold both opinions. So I hope this doesn't turn into a "LOOK AT THIS CRITICS! THIS WILL SHUT YOU UP!" because for critics, such as myself, we can like something someone does, even when we dislike most of what he does.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 06:23:38 PM »

I'm one of his more outspoken critics here (just as far as his drumming in DT goes, really like the dude himself) and I don't understand the philosophy that his drumming in one song or even one album will somehow invalidate my criticisms. I don't like his drumming on DT, but I really like his drumming on Illumination Theory. Does that mean my dislike of it on the rest of the album is invalid? No. I can hold both opinions. So I hope this doesn't turn into a "LOOK AT THIS CRITICS! THIS WILL SHUT YOU UP!" because for critics, such as myself, we can like something someone does, even when we dislike most of what he does.

Cool. Different tastes, outspoken critics. Nothing wrong.

For me the real problem is that most people don't like him because they can't like him, after all he is in Portnoy's place. It could be any other drummer. In fact, it is very easy to perceive these two kinds of criticism.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »
I was going to type "it's been nine years!" but then I remembered that there's still people who bombard Yes' Facebook posts moaning about Jon Anderson. Alas.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:10 PM »

That's another one I'm really looking forward to hearing. Only 10 days to go :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »
I was going to type "it's been nine years!" but then I remembered that there's still people who bombard Yes' Facebook posts moaning about Jon Anderson. Alas.  :lol

A comment in a Yes video on Youtube: "Yes is not Yes without Jon Anderson"

Posted by "Tempus Fugit"  :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:59 PM »
The guy probably doesn't even realize the irony.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »

I understand your critic, and of course it's legit, but that's not what you read on youtube.

You have people there writing that Mangini can only play 4/4... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

It's a form of "disease" that affects many people on the web...the inability to accept that times goes by, summed up with the inability to accept that there is someone "better" than your idol. (yeah, you might like Portnoy more, but there is no doubt that Mangini is a better drummer from all kinds of "technical" perspectives..)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:20:17 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:38 AM »
Stop reading YouTube comments.

Easy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 06:16:05 AM »

90% of all trolling from youtube comes from people who have never seen Mangini live, but when they experience this killer of a drummer  they just say what the hell happened now ???? jazz, swing, death, metal, blues, he can play everything.