Author Topic: The TAC Classic Rock Radio Listening Party  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
Re: The TAC Classic Rock Radio Listening Party
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2019, 03:24:15 PM »
Whole Lotta Love - Ah, the solo that wants you to learn it everytime you spin it. Nobody - except Hendrix and sometimes Cream - has stretched the blues to its sexiest consequences. Love it, once I realised it's not a tune, but a mood piece, where the mood is greasy hanky-panky fornication.

You Give Love a Bad Name - Great riff, great hook, fit for a Rocky flick training montage (and, let's admit it, there is no higher honour for a straight rock tune). Maybe it's because I lived it bigbro-vicariously, but I never understood the hate towards the so-called "hair metal". It was good rock, just coated in glittery slime and delusion like everything and everybody culturally relevant were during those years.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »
I remember hearing nasty stories about Jon Bon Jovi that he drank buckets of semen during concerts. I have no idea WTF was up with that, I remember being revolted, and not quite sure at age 10 WTF that was anyway. But the story about it - shit, I remember that.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

LOL!  I seem to recall a very similar story about David Bowie, and there was also the story about Richard Gere and the gerbil (there's even a Snopes article debunking that one).  Not sure where this stuff comes from!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 05:28:14 PM »
How about Gene Simmons getting into a fight with Shaun Cassidy and beating him up with his demon boots?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2019, 05:45:13 PM »
Never heard the stories about JBJ or Gene.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2019, 06:02:39 PM »
So today driving around, it was double shot Twosday.

I stopped and enjoyed these two classics:

I don't have a lot of personal memories tied to early Foreigner. I did have Head Games on 8 track, but I was finding out that I was more of a hard rock kid. I remember enjoying all of their radio hits and never really changing the channel until they started softening up. But their first three albums are pretty decent. And I have always thought that Lou Gramm had an awesome voice.

Foreigner-Hot Blooded

Anyway, I couldn't help but think how dumb these lyrics are:
"But you've got to give me a sign, come on girl, some kind of sign
Tell me, are you hot mama? "
  :lol

Still it's dumb, but highly enjoyable. It's probably been 20 years since I sat through this song.

Foreigner-Double Vision

TBH, I have always loved this song. It hits the spot. Again, I never really got into Foreigner, but I highly respect their early albums. This is a great song. I'm sure you guys will have more to say about it than me, but again, after probably never listening to this track from in its entirety in at least twenty years, it was all so familiar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2019, 06:30:04 PM »
Had a Foreigner Greatest Hits CD at some point. Heard them on 102.5 here all the time. Can't imagine going out of my way to listen to them now. Still some good tunes though.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2019, 07:13:47 PM »
Lou's voice was so damn powerful.   I just loved seeing them live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »
There are only a few Foreigner songs I actively turn on anymore, neither of which are these featured here, but they are good, solid tunes.  I probably just heard them too many times back in the day.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2019, 08:38:19 PM »
Had a Foreigner Greatest Hits CD at some point. Heard them on 102.5 here all the time. Can't imagine going out of my way to listen to them now. Still some good tunes though.

Foreigner ARE a greatest hits type band for me .    On one hand I rate them very highly (and Lou Gramm is one of THE great vocalists) but on the other hand almost all their albums are half killer, half filler at best and so they didn't get near my DTF Top 50 despite me regarding them very highly.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline T-ski

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2019, 08:51:36 PM »
Pretty sure I have Foreigner “Classics” on cassette somewhere.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2019, 12:27:45 AM »
I have some fond memories in regards to Foreigner, mostly because the song I Want To Know What Love Is was played a lot at dancing parties and this was the slow song, where you cling to each other.  ;D

I have the first five records and enjoy them once in a while. The hits are mostly great, the rest I wouldn't necessarily call filler, although there are some. Some cool deep cuts too but most records are a bit uneven. And Lou Gramm could sing.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2019, 08:17:06 AM »
They did a greatest hits collection titled Records in the early '80s.  That was another one where I forgot to send in the stupid Columbia House card on time, so it showed up in my mailbox a few weeks later.  I wasn't into Foreigner at the time, so I'm not sure why, but I opened it and listened instead of returning it.  I ended up liking it and playing it quite a bit.  I never did go farther and buy any of their studio albums.  But they had some really great hits.  The two that you mentioned are definitely fun songs, TAC.  That album I had had a live version of Hot Blooded, so that is the version I am most familiar with.  Anyhow, good songs.  But if you were going to listen to Foreigner, I have to still give you a Fail for not listening to their best song:  Juke Box Hero.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2019, 08:40:26 AM »
I remember hearing nasty stories about Jon Bon Jovi that he drank buckets of semen during concerts. I have no idea WTF was up with that, I remember being revolted, and not quite sure at age 10 WTF that was anyway. But the story about it - shit, I remember that.  :rollin :rollin :rollin

LOL!  I seem to recall a very similar story about David Bowie, and there was also the story about Richard Gere and the gerbil (there's even a Snopes article debunking that one).  Not sure where this stuff comes from!

I heard that one about Rod Stewart. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2019, 08:46:18 AM »
I was never a huge Foreigner fan, though I LOVE Juke Box Hero.  I just remember being in 8th grade and being very insecure; sort of a fringe, part-time member of the cool group.   One time I was sitting while my friend (who was too cool for school and still his; if he wasn't my best friend, I'd hate him) was talking about his "girlfriend" and he said something like "Uh, dating (so-and-so) is so hard.  It's just head games." And I remember thinking "I want to play head games!  I want to!" (Not with my friend; with so-and-so).  Ah, the teen age years.  Not a pretty sight. 

I know have one of those five-CD sets with the first five records, and they're pretty good.  It's still hard to reconcile that the guy from King Crimson is in that band, and harder still to reckon the kind of clout Mick Jones has in music (produced Van Halen and Billy Joel). 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »
I've seen Foreigner a handful of times. The first was with Lou (with Foreigner opening for Journey at Jones Beach in 1998 or 1999), the other two over the past 10 years or so with Kelly Hansen. I also saw Lou as a solo act once. I always respected them as a hard rock band. Good stuff. Not a huge fan, but I have a greatest hits compilation of their songs somewhere.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Foreigner-Hot Blooded

. . .

Foreigner-Double Vision

. . .

These were two of the earliest rock songs I was exposed to, and I still have the Records greatest hits package that was released in 1982.  The lyrics to Hot Blooded are pure 70s cheese, but you can't help but sing along when it comes on the radio, and main guitar riff is a classic.  Double Vision is also really good.  My two favorite Foreigner songs are Juke Box Hero and Long, Long Way from Home, which has the distinction of being virtually the only rock song with a saxophone that I like (the only other one I can think of is DT's Another Day).  I think it's either a bari or tenor sax, but the sax work on the song is really good.  My old band briefly toyed with playing a cover, but we couldn't figure out how to arrange it for guitar, bass and drums in a way that did the song justice.

That's it!  It was Rod Stewart, not Bowie.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »
I cringe everytime I hear Hot Blooded.  Those lyrics, damn.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2019, 03:23:25 PM »

And that's saying a lot coming from you! :rollin

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »

And that's saying a lot coming from you! :rollin

I just wonder how these lyrics were perceived when it came out.  I mean the protagonist is blatantly telling this 'hot mama' to ditch her man to go and fuck him cause he can't control his hard on, like there and then.  it just seems quite, I don't know, bold. 

To me, the lyrics are in a way are more offensive than say WASP's Animal or even Priest's Eat Me Alive.  Call me crazy.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2019, 03:52:14 PM »
  I mean the protagonist is blatantly telling this 'hot mama' to ditch her man to go and fuck him cause he can't control his hard on, like there and then. 

What's wrong with that? Makes perfect sense. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2019, 03:53:52 PM »
 :lol  Yeah, I guess.....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »
Seriously, I said it's been like 20 years, but it's probably been a lot longer since I've sat through the entire song. And that's what the thread is about.

But I was thinking that these might be the stupidest lyrics I've ever heard. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2019, 04:15:35 PM »
It's not like a rock star can't use that line. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2019, 05:09:52 PM »
That's after his brain aneurysm.   He gained a lot of weight and never sang the same.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
But I was thinking that these might be the stupidest lyrics I've ever heard. :lol

On so many levels.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:32 PM »
I have literally never given two seconds of thought to those lyrics. I am generally not a "lyric guy." If they sound good in the context of the song, they don't have to be Chaucer. Reading through them now I don't even think they are that bad for a generic rock song about sex from the late 70s.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2019, 06:49:37 PM »
I have literally never given two seconds of thought to those lyrics. I am generally not a "lyric guy." If they sound good in the context of the song, they don't have to be Chaucer. Reading through them now I don't even think they are that bad for a generic rock song about sex from the late 70s.

Classic Cool Chris lines from the Junior Prom no doubt!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2019, 07:48:15 AM »

I kind of agree.   Kiss has lyrics just as suggestive (maybe more).   

But no doubt stupid.  Why would she want to bone someone with a fever of a 103?   And what woman would fall for the line "you make me sing... for your sweet sweet thing"?  What woman wants her entertainment center referred to as "thing"?   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2019, 11:05:47 AM »

It was Marc Almond Of Soft Cell in the uk.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2019, 07:18:41 PM »
Tolerant of Fool in the Rain?  Jeez, that is only the best song on the record. :coolio :hat

True, after I'm Gonna Crawl, In The Evening, Carouselambra, South Bound Suarez, and All Of My Love.  (I haven't forgotten Hot Dog, but I might give you that one).

I love this album, though I gather not many people do.

Least favorite album though I still like most of it is Presence. Even enjoy Coda.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »
The one thing I always think of when listening to Led Zep is the variety of styles of music they could do.  That was the 70's.  Today's band seem limited in the styles and sound they can play around with.  Zep could do blues, rock, country,reggae, prog.  Only a handful of bands are this adventurous as it was in the 70's.

Strangely, Zeppelin is one of the very few bands that I like the studio cut more than the live ones in many cases.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2019, 07:22:50 PM »
The one thing I always think of when listening to Led Zep is the variety of styles of music they could do.  That was the 70's.  Today's band seem limited in the styles and sound they can play around with.  Zep could do blues, rock, country,reggae, prog.  Only a handful of bands are this adventurous as it was in the 70's.

I don't think it is matter of them being limited of what they can do as it is whether they either want to do that style or the public response to that style change.  Also it may come down to their fans, record labels, promoters, etc. willing to embrace that switch-up in styles and have the fans not call them sellouts, etc.

I mean imagine the reaction some people may give to DT if they incorporate reggae or country in their music.  It may be even worse than the responses regarding The Astonishing.

Not me. I'd welcome that. But then I love the music of The Astonishing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2019, 07:31:38 PM »
Btw, I wasnt clear enough. I was talking about popular music of today.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
So a couple of songs I heard over the last day. Not sure if one qualifies for Classic Rock status, even though it is 25 years old.

Blind Melon-No Rain

OK, so it's not exactly Classic Rock, but it's still 25 years old. First off, I love this song. I have always loved this song. Always found it enjoyable. Love the rolling guitar lines once the song gets going. I just find it really catchy. One thing I will also say is that I bought this CD in a used CD shop and it f'n blew chunks. Big time. Man does this album suck. But No Rain is a diamond in the rough.

The Animals-House Of the Rising Sun

"There is a house in New Orleans, they call the Rising Sun"
Man that still gives me chills when I hear Eric Burdon sing that line. When I was a kid, this was an old song! :lol But holy shit, it is still amazing. The Animals have some great tunes, and there was an underrated latent heaviness about them.