Author Topic: The TAC Classic Rock Radio Listening Party  (Read 5399 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
The TAC Classic Rock Radio Listening Party
« on: February 08, 2019, 07:57:31 PM »
So, when driving to work, I really don't listen to a ton of music. I actually listen to sports talk radio quite a bit. But when my ears need a break from it, I usually pull up a music radio station to see what's playing.

I tune into 94 WHJY in Providence. I have been listening to HJY since 1981, and it is where I learned of so many bands that I love today.

So every now and then when I flip over, it'll be a song that I've heard a million times, like Led Zeppelin, and sometimes it stops me in my tracks. Like I can totally remember listening to these songs as a wide eyed kid.

This happened to me yesterday and I thought about making a thread about it. Then it happened again today.

So my plan is every other day or so, or as needed, I thought I'd post what I've heard and how I felt about it. Kind of like Kev's Song Of The Day Threads.

Feel free to comment, give your own accounts, or whatever...

Yesterday these 2 songs transported me back in time:

AC/DC-Back In Black

It's criminal how little I listen to this album, considering its influence on a 12 y/o TAC. But the title track stands out above all. I love its arrangement. Guitar solo, additional breakdown, and the amazing outro. Angus Young is amazing. To me, it's his finest work.

If I had one vote for the Greatest Hard Rock song of all time, my vote goes to Back In Black.

Pearl Jam-Jeremy

I was already out of college when Pearl Jam's debut album came out. I had a copy of Ten, and while I thought it was OK, on the whole, Pearl Jam was a just miss for me. Still, Pearl Jam might just be the band I respect the most that I'm not into. They do have a number of songs I like, but at my core, I'm a metal guy.

But I have always loved Jeremy. Musically I love the way it builds and that last minute or so is incredible. Eddie Vedder is just ridiculous on this. His performance is amazing.
Now I'm not sure who Jeremy is, but he seems to be a kid with issues. I found it quite moving when it came out. But now as a parent , it hits me even harder. Jeremy is an amazing song.

...and today..

Pink Floyd-Hey You

I am only a casual fan of Pink Floyd. I love Wish You Were Here and Animals. I do not care for The Wall, but Hey You always stops me in my tracks. This song really pulls me in. It is classic Pink Floyd, and is much more immediate, even though it's mellow. I don't have to wade through endless hypnotic music. It has a great understated solo by Gilmour, and Waters reaching the climax with "Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all". Incredible.

Tesla-Modern Day Cowboy

On a Sunday night in the fall of 1986, I was driving back to college after spending the weekend at home. I remember stopping for gas and when I turned the radio on, there was this incredible song I'd never heard before. It sounded like 70's Aerosmith, but with an 80's sound. It was so cool, from the open hi hat, to a great solo. The vocals were fantastic. I couldn't wait for the song to end to find out who it was. Well, the DJ just played another song, and I didn't find out. When I got to my dorm room about 45 minutes later, I literally called the station's request line to find out who that was. I bought the album that week, and tesla would become one of my favorite 80's bands.
The were both classic and original all at once. Such a great balance.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The TAC Classic Rock Radio Listening Party
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:04:56 PM »
I got Back in Black with The Wall. What a combo in diversity.  Both resonate with me to this day.

Jeremy is a song that was so jarring but so engaging that it brings out so many emotions.  I was lucky to see them on this tour.

Hey You.  What can I say what an amazing song from an amazing album and how lucky was I to see this played on The Division Bell tour.

Hearing that Tesla song brings me back to playing  tackle football with my buds. They played that album every time we played. It reminds me that my nickname was John Riggins.  I never ran around my buddies.  I ran through them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
As overplayed as AC/DC is, Back in Black is one of their songs I never get tired of hearing. :metal

Hey You is a classic of course, and I was lucky to see on the Division Bell tour as well.

Not a fan of Pearl Jam or Tesla.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 08:10:39 PM »
Joe, I appreciate your post. Love the football memories. And that's how I was feeling. Some of this music you just take for granted, but a lot of it is so foundational.

Funny you bought those two albums together. I usually bought tapes in pairs too.

Not a fan of Pearl Jam

Musically, I'm not either, but I respect how they go about things. Rotating setlists, etc.. A few years ago, they played three shows in Mansfield, and basically played their discography over the three nights. That's cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ruba

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 08:12:19 PM »
The AC/DC album I grow up with was For Those About to Rock (We Salute You), and I'd say it's their best even though Bon Scott is my favourite AC/DC vocalist. You know, AC/DC has kept the same basic sound over the years (with some exceptions, Ballbreaker has some great songs that doesn't sound that much like you'd think AC/DC does). Back in Black (I listened to it back in 2009, wait was it a decade ago?) had never the same effect on me. But it's probably all about nostalgia.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 08:12:47 PM »
Yep, I respect PJ's tendency to do not the predictable, and who didn't love them going after Ticketbastard?  I am not just a fan of Eddie Vedder's voice; that is a hill I just cannot climb.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 08:14:56 PM »
The AC/DC album I grow up with was For Those About to Rock (We Salute You), and I'd say it's their best

I love Spellbound. One of the top Brian era tracks.
I would've loved to have heard Spellbound with Back In Black's production.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 08:15:13 PM »
I am not just a fan of Eddie Vedder's voice; that is a hill I just cannot climb.

That's my problem with Pearl Jam. I can tolerate Jeremy and Even Flow enough to like them, but with another vocalist they'd be among my favourite 90s songs.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »
Tim. It's funny how we relgto music when it affects us.

I destroyed my Back in Black album and asked it again for my birthday in 1994. I got it with Queen- The Works.

I can't remember to take out the track, but I can'
 remember stuff like this.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Ruba

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 08:16:10 PM »
Also Tim, if you're going to have a real-life party, I'm in!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 08:19:18 PM »
Also Tim, if you're going to have a real-life party, I'm in!

:metal

This is it, brother!!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:21:42 PM »
Get your partying in now.   It's Tim's bedtime.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 08:28:07 PM »
 :lol

Shut up old man!

Offline Ruba

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 08:28:20 PM »
I've never listened to Tesla before. But the song you recommended is pretty good 80s hair metal. Enough complexity and not too much cock rock.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 08:29:50 PM »
I've never listened to Tesla before. But the song you recommended is pretty good 80s hair metal. Enough complexity and not too much cock rock.

Ruba, you should check Tesla out. They're not hair metal at all. They are a 70's band trapped in an 80's band body. They did have some sappy stuff but overall, Tesla f'n rocked.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 08:33:06 PM »

They were the 1st band of the 80's that didn't let makeup and Auqanet be their #1 priority and put music first.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:45:23 PM by kingshmegland »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 08:38:14 PM »
Yeah Ruba, just spin Mechanical Resonance, their first album. It's incredible.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 08:45:51 PM »
Well, the 80s hard rock songs around here (Finland) that play on the radio are Bon Jovi, the hits from Back in Black, Here I Go Again, Rock You Like Hurricane, Alice Cooper's Poison and probably some Mötley Crüe (personally hate 'em), so I don't know so much about that genre. I've listened to some Tesla right now and they actually remind me of Queensrÿche's rockier songs, so it's all good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 08:54:55 PM »
Well, the 80s hard rock songs around here (Finland) 

We looked hard at Finland for The TAC Family Summer Vacation next summer. It ended up not being in the cards, but it made it to the semi finals.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 08:58:49 PM »
Well, the 80s hard rock songs around here (Finland) 

We looked hard at Finland for The TAC Family Summer Vacation next summer. It ended up not being in the cards, but it made it to the semi finals.

Nice. We have one national rock station that plays mostly Metallica, Red Hot Chili Peppers, System of a Down and everything that is left over is mostly Volbeat or Sabaton. There's also one hard rock/stadion rock focused stadion, but it only broadcasts in bigger cities. If you're coming here, I'd recommend you'll have your own music with you.

But anyway I've never been to Lapland to see the midsummer sun, but around here (Joensuu) sun still never really sets either around summertime.

So where're you going then?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 09:01:42 PM »
I always have my own music with me!

We were looking at a place in Tampere, among others.

We are planning a trip to Italy in 2020. that's where my oldest son wants to go for graduation. I was hoping to scale back next summer, but my wife...

Anyway, we're staying in the states going to San Diego.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 09:07:46 PM »

We are planning a trip to Italy in 2020. that's where my oldest son wants to go for graduation. I was hoping to scale back next summer, but my wife...

Tampere is one of my favourite Finnish cities and a home for many great Finnish rock bands (who of course sing in Finnish  :lol). There is a good amusement park called Särkänniemi, a place to visit if you have any younger children.

But of course, Italy is sure a nice place to visit, for both culture and entertainment. Never been there myself.

Sorry if I'm being too intrusive, but where do you live yourself?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »
I did a top 20 PF songs a while back and think I had Hey You at 2 or 3. I love it that much. I was always bummed it got cut from the Alan Parker film but understand why it was.

When the aliens land and ask us what Hard Rock is, Back in Black is the song we should play for them.

Never got in to PJ, which is blasphemy around here, but I always liked Jeremy.

I should have been more in to Tesla than I was.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:15 PM »
Yeah Ruba, just spin Mechanical Resonance, their first album. It's incredible.

Have to admit it's been years since I put that in the CD player.  Never bothered with anything after the second album. Decent stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 04:19:27 AM »
Back In Black is just perfect for the band given where they were at in their career circumstances, and perfect for the genre at the time.  Top 20 album of all-time on my list.

Hey You, just one piece of an overall masterpiece.  For many years, The Wall was my desert-island album

Pearl Jam... <hits skip>

Modern Day Cowboy.  Although my introduction to Tesla was thru TGRC, this is my favorite song by them.  Just some killer rock.  Great description of them Tim - 70s band in an 80s body.  They are to the 80s what Aerosmith was to the 70s.  Sure, they had a couple of 'glammy' songs (looking at you, Love Song) that caught the video airwaves, but otherwise they are NOT glam/hair metal at all.  @ Ytse, I adore Psychotic Supper (though it has some filler), but Bust A Nut is where they lost me.  I've tried a couple of their 2000s-era albums, but Keith's voice is nothing like it was in the 80s.

Looking forward to following this thread.  Keep 'er goin TAC!  Maybe pass the baton to others every so often, as I'm sure all of us fogeys have a story around 'that moment' with about a thousand different songs.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 05:31:22 AM »

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 05:51:03 AM »
Fogey thread? I'm in.  ;D

That Back In Black is just classic.

Hey You is nice and for years The Wall was my go to Pink Floyd record. Now it's either Animals or Wish You Were Here.

Pearl Jam is okay for me, some songs I like, some not so much.

For Tesla, Psychotic Supper is just unbeatable, regardless of one or two filler songs. And I really like Bust A Nut, not sure why people don't seem to like it, it's not that different from the rest.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 06:36:09 AM »
4/4 there for me, though like you Tim I’m not a PJ fan at all. That was a good song. I do have Ten in my collection but only because my ex wife left it behind.

Back In Black is great, though whole album is.

I’m a casual Pink Floyd fan but that’s one of their best.

Tesla are a big favourite of mine. They didn’t make my top 50 but maybe should have. The first three and half of Bust A Nut are awesome. Not much any good after that. They made going acoustic cool too with Five Man Acoustical Jam.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 06:47:12 AM »
I should have been more in to Tesla than I was.

You're welcome!

Have to admit it's been years since I put that in the CD player.   

Yeah, that's the point!

I'm sure all of us fogeys have a story around 'that moment' with about a thousand different songs.

And I hope to hear them. Again, that's what this is about.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »
The AC/DC album I grow up with was For Those About to Rock (We Salute You), and I'd say it's their best

I love Spellbound. One of the top Brian era tracks.
I would've loved to have heard Spellbound with Back In Black's production.

This.  Obviously I love both, and the "hits" on BiB are legendary, but I MUCH prefer the deeper cuts on FTATR ("Spellbound", "Evil Walks", "COD", and especially "Night Of The Long Knives").

Pearl Jam:  I like the Stone Gossard Pearl Jam way more than the Eddie Vedder Pearl Jam (they transitioned around... say, No Code). The early PJ was so Kiss/Sabbath/The Who driven that it was really a fresh surprise (they were very different than the Cobain/Mudhoney "I hate the world and the world sucks and fuck the jocks that beat me up in high school").

Tesla: I LOVE that song; there was a girl at school that liked them and particularly that song.  That's a good memory right there, let's leave it at that.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 09:57:30 AM »
Back in Black -  We may spend a lifetime searching in vain for an appropriate label for this tune, or we may search for the thesaurus definition of Rock Song, finding Back in Black.

Hey You - Peak Roger if we exclude Animals. A very high peak.

Jeremy - Add a sprinkle of Neil Young and Stadler's description of Pearl Jam mirrors exactly my own. I listened to Ten shortly after release, and I had the clear impression I was witnessing the last of the mithological classic rock bands for outsiders.

Modern Day Cowboy - Focking infectious and classic "listen to this while driving at your own peril" song. Tesla were extremely good, and they happened at least ten years too late for their own good. Also, Love Song is great.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »
In a pub before tonight’s Celtics game I heard so many candidates for this thread. Will post when I get home after tomorrow ‘s Bruins game.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 08:45:37 PM »
What a crappy game to see Tim.  I'm sorry.  Boy is this team letting us down.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 09:06:50 PM »
Yeah, you Boston sports fans have it rough. :P :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »
What a crappy game to see Tim.  I'm sorry.  Boy is this team letting us down.

You got the f'n W. Quit whining.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion