Author Topic: What are your favourite first 3 tracks off any given DT album?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline AboutToCrash

What are your favourite first 3 tracks off any given DT album?
« on: February 08, 2019, 02:26:09 AM »
I know this is a strange thread.. but I was talking to my friend earlier about it. As the first 3 tracks have been released for D/T I think it would be interesting to compare it to the first 3 off other albums. My favourite is probably SDOIT’s first 3, TGP->BF->Misunderstood, what’s yours?

Offline krands85

Re: What are your favourite first 3 tracks off any given DT album?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 05:01:37 AM »
Train of Thought (As I Am, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice) probably just edges out Images & Words (Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take the Time).

Not a huge surprise that those are my 2 favourite DT albums, though I&W is my number 1.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 06:46:51 AM »
Six Degrees. The Glass Prison (monster of a song) - Blind Faith (beautiful soloing) - Misunderstood (possibly my favourite DT song).

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:04 AM »
Six Degrees. The Glass Prison (monster of a song) - Blind Faith (beautiful soloing) - Misunderstood (possibly my favourite DT song).

This could be it for me too! Not 100% sure though...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 06:54:51 AM »
The first 3 on ADTOE (their best album ever ,technically speaking. That and DT12)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 07:53:29 AM »

Yeah, this gets my vote for sure. Three beautiful songs.

Offline Freeze

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 09:20:21 AM »
Pull Me Under - Another Day - Take The Time.

Online pg1067

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
The first thing that came my mind was whether, in considering SFAM, "Regression" counts.

I quickly scrolled through the albums, and there are some low moments in the first three tracks of just about every album.  "Innocence Faded" makes it impossible to consider Awake.  If I can overlook "Regression" and "Through My Words," then SFAM would probably be the easy winner.  TOT is a good candidate, but I'm not a fan of "This Dying Soul."  The first three tracks of ADTOE and DT12 are all at least pretty good, but for ADTOE none of them are in my top three songs for the album (although I know that's not really relevant).

Ultimately, I think I have to go with SDOIT.  I wasn't initially a fan of disc 1, but I eventually grew to love the first three songs.  "The Glass Prison" ranges from good to excellent and kicks ass throughout.  "Blind Faith" is probably a top 10 DT track for me.  "Misunderstood" is a bit of an oddball for me, but I really love it -- especially the crush of the second chorus, and James's performance is so strong throughout.  The outro is way too long, but that's where I pop out the disc and switch to disc 2 because the remainder of disc 1 is not good (TGD is probably a bottom 5 DT song).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline erciccio

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
Here is my full ranking, not including D/T because I will wait to listen to Paralyzed til the 22.
It would be probably in the top 3 though...even though I like but don't love the two singles I've heard.
I Just realized that in many cases the first songs are among the worst in  each album..:)

I&W: Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take The Time. I fell in love with DT thanks to this trio.
SFAM: Regression, overture, strange deja vu. They really get you into the story, mission accomplished!
ADTOE: On the back of Angels, BMUBMD, Lost ot forgotten. Quiet diverse and fun. None is a masterpiece though.
DT12: False Awakening Suite, The enemy Inside, The Looking Glass. I only like the Enemy Inside, but it's by far my favourite "metal" song from DT so...
Awake: 6:00, Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded. Don't like 6:00 at all, the other two are ok but not the best in the album
When Dream and Day Unite: A fortune in Lies, Status Seeker, the Ytse Jam. 2 goods songs, not bad for a debut album.
Six Degrees of Inner Turbolence. The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Misunderstood. Cut the songs by 50%, and you would get a good start. May be cut the Glass Prison by 80%...I would never be able to listen to these 3 in a row without skipping.
The Astonishing: Descent of the Nomacs, Dystopian Overture, The Gift of Music. I love The Astonishing, but it's better not to cut it to pieces...
Systematic Chaos : In the Presence of Enemies, Forsaken, Constant Motion. I don't like the album but the start is not bad...it get worse after.
BCSL: A Nightmare to Remember, A Rite of Passage, Wither. Too long the first one, average the rest.
Train of Thought: As I am, The dying soul, Endless Sacrifice. 2 Metallica rip-offs (much worse than the originals..) and 1 boring metal nonsense.
Octavarium: The Root of all evil, the answer Lies within, These Walls. Bah. Bah. Bah.
Falling into Infinity: New Millenium, You not me, Peruvian Sky. What an "horrible" (for DT) start...

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 11:53:13 AM by erciccio »
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline lovethedrake

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 11:00:47 AM »
I&W, SFAM, and SDOIT.   Not surprisingly my 3 favorite albums by DT by a wide margin.

I&W probably gets the nod for tracks 1-3 even though SFAM is my #1 favorite album by DT. 

Online pg1067

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 11:08:55 AM »
Here is my full ranking, not including D/T because I will wait to listen to Paralyzed til the 22.
It would be probably in the top 3 though...even though I like but don't love the two singles I've heard.
I Just realized that in many cases the first songs are among the worsts in each album..:)

I&W: Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take The Time. I fell in love with DT thanks to this trio.
SFAM: Regression, overture, strange deja vu. They really get you into the story, mission accomplished!
ADTOE: On the back of Angels, BMUBMD, Lost ot forgotten. Quiet diverse and fun. None is a masterpiece though.
DT12: False Awakening Suite, The enemy Inside, The Looking Glass. I only like the Enemy Inside, but it's by far my favourite "metal" song from DT so...
Awake: 6:00, Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded. Don't like 6:00 at all, the other two are ok but not the best in the album
When Dream and Day Unite: A fortune in Lies, Status Seeker, the Ytse Jam. 2 goods songs, not bad for a debut album.
Six Degrees of Inner Turbolence. The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Misunderstood. Cut the songs by 50%, and you would get a good start. May be cut the Glass Prison by 80%...I would never be able to listen to these 3 in a row without skipping.
The Astonishing: Descent of the Nomacs, Dystopian Overture, The Gift of Music. I love The Astonishing, but it's better not to cut it to pieces...
Systematic Chaos : In the Presence of Enemies, Forsaken, Constant Motion. I don't like the album but the start is not bad...it get worse after.
BCSL: A Nightmare to Remember, A Rite of Passage, Wither. Too long the first one, average the rest.
Train of Thought: As I am, The dying soul, Endless Sacrifice. 2 Metallica rip-offs (much worse than the originals..) and 1 boring metal nonsense.
Octavarium: The Root of all evil, the answer Lies within, These Walls. Bah. Bah. Bah.
Falling into Infinity: New Millenium, You not me, Peruvian Sky. What an "horrible" (for DT) start...

I don't know about "the worst," but I was sort of thinking along similar lines.

I&W was an interesting one.  "Pull Me Under" was my gateway into DT.  I was blown away when I heard it on the radio.  I really dug "Another Day" at the time as well.  Nowadays, however, I tend to start listening to I&W with "Take the Time."  Part of it, I think, is the anticipation of getting to "Metropolis" and LTL.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
Train of Thought (As I Am, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice).

I'd have to agree with this^ :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »
SDOIT
ToT
I&W

The rest are far behind, for me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 11:29:07 AM »

Absolutely. Following that, I'd have to give it to I&W or SFAM.

Offline Pettor

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »
May be cut the Glass Prison by 80%...

I actually feel a little bit offended by just reading that :D (and disagree 100%)

Anyway my personal is SDOIT with SFAM shortly after.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »

These are mine as well. I don't think there's a better three song run out there.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rab7

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 11:49:00 AM »
If I can overlook "Regression" and "Through My Words," then SFAM would probably be the easy winner.

Well if you count each individual track instead of each "scene", you'd have Regression, Overture 1928, and Strange Deja Vu

Offline Ruba

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 12:54:03 PM »
My favourite is probably SDOIT’s first 3, TGP->BF->Misunderstood, what’s yours?

This or WDADU (A Fortune in Lies -> Status Seeker -> Ytse Jam).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 01:01:11 PM »
Six Degrees for me as well. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »
Train of Thought-     As I am,  This dying soul and Endless sacrifice

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 07:41:24 PM »
Probably Black Clouds & Silver Linings for me. I love the way those tracks flow.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 08:31:47 PM »
It's a piece of cake.

I&W.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 08:53:35 PM »
When Dream And Day Unite
Six Degrees
Octavarium
Self-Titled

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 08:58:02 PM »
I'd go with Train Of Thought, and that includes skipping As I Am. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nemonius

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2019, 10:05:38 PM »
Distance over Time: Untethered Angel, Paralyzed, Fall into the Light

I'll get my coat.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 04:49:46 AM »
Images & Words for me and it’s not even close.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2019, 05:28:37 AM »
SDOIT. Followed by D/T.

I&W is pulled down by PMU. AWAKE is pulled down by IF.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2019, 06:52:04 AM »
Distance over Time: Untethered Angel, Paralyzed, Fall into the Light

I'll get my coat.
You don't need your coat  :biggrin: This was the first thing I thought when seeing the thread title. 

Given that people have mentioned their favorite DT tracks can change a bit over time, it's not that unreasonable to say this.  Personally, I like all the new tracks and they are my favorite right now.  To be fair, most of that is due to their newness, but still really solid tracks IMO.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2019, 07:30:16 AM »
Images, Awake and Scenes are the three obvious choices. If I only had to go for one of those, I'm picking the first three songs from Awake.

Offline Rammstein

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2019, 07:33:31 AM »
favorite tracks in no particular order

I&W: TTT, Metropolis, LTL
Awake: Voices, Mirror, Scarred
FII: HK, LITS, TOT
SFAM: SDV, FT, Home
Six Degrees: Glass Prison, Misunderstood, Solitary Shell
TOT: AIA, SOC, In the name of God
Octavarium: These Walls, SS, Octavarium
SC: In the presence of Enemies, Repentance, Forsaken
Black Clouds: ANTR, SF, Count of Tuscany
ADTOE: This is the life, Bridges in the Sky, Breaking all Illusions (!)
DT12: Enemy Inside, Behindert the veil, IT
Astonishing: A new beginning, Our new world, Moment of Betrayal
D/T: only heard UA and FITL

Offline DTA

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2019, 07:33:48 AM »
I might actually pick FII. I'm a huge New Millennium fan (I cannot understand why more people don't love this amazing, fun song). I think YNM is a great track and Peruvian Skies is also fantastic. All the other albums have a track in the first 3 that I'm not a huge fan of. WDADU would probably be my next choice, then SDOIT (purely on the strength of BF and Misunderstood, not a huge Glass Prison fan).

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2019, 07:44:31 AM »
Awake and FII would be up there for me - both have two songs I really like (6:00/IF and NM which is severely underrated and PS) and one song that’s a bit meh (Caught in a web and You not Me), but overall very cool. 6 degrees is worth mentioning, although I don’t love the album as much as others. Strip BF back a touch and have the Misunderstood radio edit and you’re looking good. Scenes and TA both have strong openings, and if you don’t count the nomacs as an actual track, then “the answer” bumps this up into one of my faves - a short but wonderful piece. SC is worth a mention too - probably 3 of the better songs from this one to open proceedings.

I actually think even at this early stage, that D/T is a very real contender for this one. Two great sounding metal songs and FITL which is a real gem in my book to kick off the album at a blistering pace and is right up there with the best of them I’d have to say :tup

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2019, 11:03:51 AM »
I&W: Pull Me Under, Another Day, Take The Time.
Solid first three on an album with no weaknesses. Ok, one weakness… I hate that rap crap at the start of TtT.

Awake: 6:00, Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded.
Top tier.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbolence. The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Misunderstood.
Great opening three despite being a little too long maybe. 

ADTOE: On the back of Angels, BMUBMD, Lost ot forgotten.
Solid

SFAM: Regression, overture, strange deja vu.
Don't care for SDV as much as the fanbase seems to.

DT12: False Awakening Suite, The Enemy Inside, The Looking Glass.
Eh... TLG is pretty good.

When Dream and Day Unite: A Fortune in Lies, Status Seeker, the Ytse Jam.
Good, nothing special.

The Astonishing: Descent of the Nomacs, Dystopian Overture, The Gift of Music.
Hard to evaluate as a standalone but a good way to open an album of this nature.

Train of Thought: As I Am, The Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice.
Would be a great threesome if not for some garbage vocal lines in TDS.

Systematic Chaos : In the Presence of Enemies, Forsaken, Constant Motion.
A great track, a fun track, and dreck.

BCSL: A Nightmare to Remember, A Rite of Passage, Wither.
Um… ok I guess?

Octavarium: The Root of All Evil, The Answer Lies Within, These Walls.
TRoAE is a fantastic opener, unfortunately there is quite a drop off after that.

Falling into Infinity: New Millennium, You Not Me, Peruvian Sky.
Terrible, though PS is rather good. But Stairway to Heaven couldn't save this 1-2 opener.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2019, 11:51:15 AM »
Gotta go with Images and Words as well.

Scenes from a Memory if we cheat and consider Regression + Overture + SDV / Words + Tragedy / Beyond this Life.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2019, 01:41:14 PM »
This is hard...
Images
Awake
Train
Dramatic
DT12

Those all start pretty strong for me.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?