Author Topic: Two Different Reactors Who Fell In Love with DT (and is now their favorite band)  (Read 1679 times)

Offline adamack

TL;DR - Check out Jamie Horsley and Christ Reacts for their DT reactions.

I've been watching two different YouTube reactors over these past few months who devote a day of each week to a new DT song, or sometimes a whole album.

I know the whole reaction thing could be seen as a bit of a fad, but I really wanted to share these here for a specific reason. Some of you can probably relate to this, and others probably don't care.

Growing up, it was always a special feeling to share a common interest with friends. It was even cooler to get your friends into things that you like. Heck, that is one of the reasons we love these forums so much - to share things we find, share ideas, lists, etc. with a community.

There was always a void when sharing DT though. My whole life, I've never found one person who liked DT. A couple friends actually loved "Home" (with a chorus like that, it's easy to see why), but beyond that, listening to DT was an experience I had by myself.

So I started watching some DT reaction videos recently, and it has been amazing to see people fall in love with the band. To some level, it has filled that void of sharing my love of DT with someone who has never heard them. I found two different channels - Jamie Horsley and Christ Reacts. They have been reacting to DT for a few months or so now.

Jamie reacts to LOTS of bands, with multiple uploads per day, yet it's DT that has become his favorite. If you check him out, I recommend starting from the beginning, as he was able to devote a lot more time into breaking down the lyrics in his first videos. Also, it's great to see his first reactions to the band. His first reaction was Octavarium, then A Nightmare To Remember if you wanted to start there. He uploads a new DT vid every Sunday.

Christ Reacts did SFAM in its entirety, and it became his favorite album ever. He uploads a new DT video every Thursday.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with either of these people, aside from being a subscriber and fan of their videos.

(Ugh, sorry. I never plan to write novels, I swear!)

Offline Art

Will check them both out  :tup

Offline adamack

Will check them both out  :tup

Awesome! I look forward to them every Thursday and Sunday. Jamie is currently reacting to the entire Awake album (in 3-4 segments) so the next part of that will be Sunday. And I believe Scarred should be one of the ones coming up :metal

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

I watched Jamie Horsley checking out Octavarium. That was indeed awesome.
Like you said, he has that vibe of talking to one of your friends.

Offline adamack

I watched Jamie Horsley checking out Octavarium. That was indeed awesome.
Like you said, he has that vibe of talking to one of your friends.

Yes absolutely. There's just something so cool about seeing someone listen to DT for the first time, and loving it.

Offline geeeemo

I Loved watching Jamie listening to Octavarium! I feel like that every single time I hear this song. And the anticipation of knowing what was coming next..I was smiling the whole time!   :laugh:
I agree sharing DT is hard to come by. I am always trying to turn people on to DT - even people I barely know -because I feel like they are missing out!  Octavarium is the best song I have ever heard. I hope to see that song live one day.... :hefdaddy

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
I've been following both of these and enjoy them

Offline adamack

I Loved watching Jamie listening to Octavarium! I feel like that every single time I hear this song. And the anticipation of knowing what was coming next..I was smiling the whole time!   :laugh:
I agree sharing DT is hard to come by. I am always trying to turn people on to DT - even people I barely know -because I feel like they are missing out!  Octavarium is the best song I have ever heard. I hope to see that song live one day.... :hefdaddy

Glad you enjoyed it! And yes I too have been trying to find someone to turn people on to DT since high school so I feel this is the next best thing.

Agreed about Octavarium. I know there is no such thing as a universal “best song ever” due to subjectivity, but Octavarium  is the one song that I feel could come closest to wearing that crown. I’ve always had this feeling that it will gain its deserved recognition in 20-30 years when future generations are discovering new music.

Offline adamack

I've been following both of these and enjoy them

Great to hear!

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

People love to shit on reaction videos, but it's so much fun to see someone else experiencing the same joy that I did when I heard those songs or bands for the first time. I get that it isn't the highest quality content, but it's an interesting perspective and often it makes me appreciate songs like I haven't heard them before. Watching the excitement is infectious.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline flintdragon

Wow... Just watched the Octavarium one.

I can't believe I'm going to start watching Reaction videos now... thanks a lot...

Offline adamack

People love to shit on reaction videos, but it's so much fun to see someone else experiencing the same joy that I did when I heard those songs or bands for the first time. I get that it isn't the highest quality content, but it's an interesting perspective and often it makes me appreciate songs like I haven't heard them before. Watching the excitement is infectious.

Agreed. There are some awesome reaction channels  out there. I think one of the things that gives these vids a bad name is how some (maybe even most) reactors either over exaggerate their reaction, or they don’t share their true opinion on a song and just act like they love everything to appeal to everyone.. There are also some channels who just listen to the song, say “that was a good song, in the comments below let me know what you want me to react to next.”

The cool thing about channels like Jamie’s is that he will devote a whole 15-20 minutes afterward to break down all of the lyrics, and even sometimes do a bonus reaction of the live version of the song.

It’s a crazy idea overall. 20 years ago, who would have thought we would be spend hours watching people listen to songs, or watching people play video games? But when done right, as you said, seeing their excitement is just an amazing feeling!

Offline adamack

I can't believe I'm going to start watching Reaction videos now... thanks a lot...

Ha, nice!! Really happy that you are enjoying these too. I honesty didn’t know if other people on DTF would dig them. He really loved Six Degrees too (the song), so if you have a spare 40+ minutes check that one out. Hell, he has loved almost every DT song so far, aside from Paralyzed :p

Offline flintdragon

Ha, nice!! Really happy that you are enjoying these too. I honesty didn’t know if other people on DTF would dig them. He really loved Six Degrees too (the song), so if you have a spare 40+ minutes check that one out. Hell, he has loved almost every DT song so far, aside from Paralyzed :p

Not sure if others felt the same way but your original post really struck a chord with me.  DT is such an important part of my life yet I have no one IRL who understands it the way I do.

Offline adamack

Not sure if others felt the same way but your original post really struck a chord with me.  DT is such an important part of my life yet I have no one IRL who understands it the way I do.

Really glad others can relate to this. For me, I could never quite comprehend how NOBODY I’ve ever met can love their music the way I do. I guess that’s just part of being individuals, but it has always sucked not being able to take a car ride with a friend and both just rock out to some DT.

There is one silver lining to this though. This is an extreme example, but things can tend to lose their appeal when the masses catch on. I used to love the band Ghost (their first 3 albums), but now that they are basically a mainstream radio band, their music has changed a bit from what it used to be and I find that I don’t listen to them anymore.

But bands like DT and Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson will ALWAYS occupy that “niche” kind of space, where it takes a special kind of listener to gravitate toward their music, just because it can be so inaccessible at times. So I do appreciate that we DT fans will never have to deal with all the things that come with a mainstream fan base.

Still though, if I had just ONE IRL DT fanatic friend, I think things would have been a lot more fun.