Author Topic: Bill and Ted Face the Music  (Read 12773 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Bill and Ted Face the Music
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2020, 10:54:14 AM »
Will it be deep fake ? Archive footage ? New actor ? A doppelgänger? Interesting.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2020, 03:49:12 PM »
I don't know if "important" is the word I would use.  But...I mean, it's a Bill and Ted film.  Given the soundtrack for the second film, I was expecting that they would bring it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
I don't care about "name bands" being in the soundtrack.  If the music fits the scene and is good, it doesn't matter one bit whether it's by a band I've heard of, a band I've never heard of, or a bunch of guys hired to play "generic rock music" for a movie soundtrack.

When things start happening in a movie, and the music kicks in, I just want it to be good.  If it's a song that I know, it can even be distracting, unless the song itself is particularly appropriate for the scene, in which case it'll probably get a chuckle out of me.

Looking at the list, I recognize Weezer, Lamb of God, and Mastadon, and of course Wyld Stallyns (which is presumably actually performed by the aforementioned generic hired guns), don't know any of their music, and just figured I've never heard of the others because they're not in a genre I normally listen to anyway.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2020, 09:36:42 PM »
I don't care about "name bands" being in the soundtrack.  If the music fits the scene and is good, it doesn't matter one bit whether it's by a band I've heard of, a band I've never heard of, or a bunch of guys hired to play "generic rock music" for a movie soundtrack.

In general, for "a movie," I would tend to agree.  But this isn't just "a movie."  It's Bill and Ted, where the music being played is actually part of the story. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2020, 10:49:16 PM »
I think it fits for the time period that we are paying homage to. Think about it, in classic soundtracks from that era, you had a few very well-known bands mixed with a few bands you had never heard of. This was in attempt to give exposure to lesser known bands by using the draw of the bands who were known. I see no issue here. It’s exactly what I would expect.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline H2

« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2020, 05:48:33 AM »
The other night, I watched Bogus Journey for the first time. I love the first one and have seen it like ten times, and it's one of my go-to movies to show friends. I had heard that Bogus Journey wasn't very good and didn't have the same charm. But it totally did. I thought it was on par with the first one.

That said...I don't have super high hopes for Bill and Ted 3. It looks pretty bad. Keanu looks super weird. IDK. I will see it, but I hope old Keanu doesn't make me feel too sad.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2020, 08:13:29 AM »
I'm thinking it will be kinda like seeing Harrison Ford as Han Solo in the recent Star Wars movies.  He doesn't look like he did all those years ago, but in the same clothes, acting the same way, and you totally see him as the same character, just older.  Which is exactly what we have here.  When Keanu and Alex are together, acting like Bill and Ted, it'll be Bill and Ted again, just older.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »
I have 100% confidence in this movie, primarily because Keanu is onboard. I don't think he'd have agreed to do it if the script wasn't at least semi-solid. From the trailers I've seen, it looks like their daughters (in the movie) are going to nail their roles.

I'm not sure what kind of tribute to Carlin we're going to get. Isn't high IRL daughter playing Rufus' daughter in the movie. That might be the call back.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2020, 10:05:45 AM »
I'm thinking it will be kinda like seeing Harrison Ford as Han Solo in the recent Star Wars movies.  He doesn't look like he did all those years ago, but in the same clothes, acting the same way, and you totally see him as the same character, just older.  Which is exactly what we have here.  When Keanu and Alex are together, acting like Bill and Ted, it'll be Bill and Ted again, just older.

Exactly.  They're different...but the same!

The other night, I watched Bogus Journey for the first time. I love the first one and have seen it like ten times, and it's one of my go-to movies to show friends. I had heard that Bogus Journey wasn't very good and didn't have the same charm. But it totally did. I thought it was on par with the first one.

I haven't watched Bogus Journey in a long time, but I remember being disappointed.  I'll have to give it a watch before I see FTM.  One thing it has going for it is that I'm in it!*

* - In the audience of the battle of the bands scene and completely indistinguishable from anyone else in the crowd.

I have 100% confidence in this movie, primarily because Keanu is onboard. I don't think he'd have agreed to do it if the script wasn't at least semi-solid. From the trailers I've seen, it looks like their daughters (in the movie) are going to nail their roles.

I'm not sure what kind of tribute to Carlin we're going to get. Isn't high IRL daughter playing Rufus' daughter in the movie. That might be the call back.

I just saw that Erinn Hayes is playing Princess Elizabeth (Ted's wife) and Jayma Mays is playing Princess Joanna, both of which are awesome choices.  I think the daughters are going to carry the movie (or at least parts of it).  The actress who plays Bill's daughter is hot and seems to have some chops.  The actress playing seems to be an unknown and decidedly not hot.

According to Wikipedia, Kristen Schaal plays "Kelly, a messenger from the future who has a warning.  The character's name is based on Kelly Carlin, George Carlin's daughter, as a way to pay tribute to the comedian."  The Wiki article cites an interview with the writers for this.  It also says, "George Carlin will appear posthumously as Rufus through the use of repurposed archival footage from the first two films."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2020, 02:33:35 PM »

I haven't watched Bogus Journey in a long time, but I remember being disappointed. 

It's been a LONG time since I have seen it as well.  I wasn't "disappointed," but didn't think it was great.  It was kinda stupid, and wasn't as good as the first one.  But it wasn't trying to be anything other than what it was either, and you either like that sort of thing or you don't.  I was entertained, and thought the goofiness fit what they were trying to do.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2020, 03:36:48 PM »

I haven't watched Bogus Journey in a long time, but I remember being disappointed. 

It's been a LONG time since I have seen it as well.  I wasn't "disappointed," but didn't think it was great.  It was kinda stupid, and wasn't as good as the first one.  But it wasn't trying to be anything other than what it was either, and you either like that sort of thing or you don't.  I was entertained, and thought the goofiness fit what they were trying to do.

That's probably a better way of saying it.  The original "was kinda stupid" too, but stayed on the right side of the imaginary line in my head that separates funny stupid from just plain stupid.  Having to parse "non-non-non-non-heinous" was just a bit much.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »
I loved "non-non-non-non-heinous".  Heinous is the opposite of good, so to Bill and Ted something cool is "non-heinous".  Therefore something bad is "non-non-heinous".

The extra "nons" are just for emphasis.  When Bill whips out "non-non-non-non-heinous", he pauses after the first "non" and before the last one, grouping the middle two "nons" together to cancel each other out.  In doing this, he's actually making sure that there's an even number of them, because what happened was truly heinous.  I thought it was pretty obvious myself.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
That was literally my favorite joke in what was an otherwise lukewarm movie.

I love the way that Steve Vai used that quote from the movie in the reaper rap on the soundtrack

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2020, 12:08:21 PM »
I'm one of the few that like the second one more than the first. The scenes in hell, especially the grandma, or beating Death in silly games and him trying to cheat were just hilarious. Of course it was silly, but a kind of silly that makes me laugh out loud.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
I like them both pretty much equally.  So many times, a sequel doesn't live up to the original, and once in a while takes it further, but in this case, I just regarded Bogus Journey as more of the same.  And that's fine with me.  This isn't exactly high art.  But Bogus Journey does have something of a different tone from Excellent Adventure, so I guess I'm not surprised that it doesn't work for some people, or that some prefer it.

As for Face the Music, I'm not expecting high art here, either.  Just another silly adventure with some characters I like, who are not the brightest, but have good intentions and are basically good people.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2020, 09:55:06 AM »
I loved "non-non-non-non-heinous".  Heinous is the opposite of good, so to Bill and Ted something cool is "non-heinous".  Therefore something bad is "non-non-heinous".

The extra "nons" are just for emphasis.  When Bill whips out "non-non-non-non-heinous", he pauses after the first "non" and before the last one, grouping the middle two "nons" together to cancel each other out.  In doing this, he's actually making sure that there's an even number of them, because what happened was truly heinous.  I thought it was pretty obvious myself.

Right before Bogus Journey came out, my local newspaper published an article about it that included a "glossary," including "non-non-non-non-heinous."  I thought, "hmmm...they're taking something that was cool and pushing it over the top to the point of absurdity."  They didn't come up with anything new.  It was just "NOW WITH EVEN MORE ADDED WACKINESS!!!!"  Just didn't work for me, but I'll be watching again soon, so I'll reserve judgment.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2020, 11:05:09 AM »
I guess I can see why it doesn't work for everyone, but it was just the one time, and as I said, it was an exceptional scene and the extra "nons" were for emphasis.  Sure, if you take it out of context, it's just dumb.  Most of the Bill and Ted movies are dumb humor.

To me, it's kinda like Harold and Kumar.  They have this thing where they emphasize something by negating its opposite.  Kumar will say "Man, I'm high" and Harold will agree "I'm not low".  Kumar will say "You're worthless" and Harold will agree "I'm not worthwhile".  And of course the most famous one, Katie Holmes' tits in "The Gift".  How were they?  Well, think of The Holocaust; they are the exact opposite.  The Holocaust is something truly horrible; Katie Holmes' tits are the exact opposite of truly horrible.

I like stuff like that because it's the kind of quirky verbal banter that real buddies develop over time, so including them in buddy movies adds a degree of realism.  My buddies and I from back home have a few of these that make us laugh, and everyone else just groans or is confused.  Of course, to work in a movie, it also has to be funny and make sense.  For me, it (even number of "nons" = bad, odd number = good) does both, so it works.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2020, 11:18:07 AM »
Despite the first film being in my top 5 movies of all time, I remember hating the second one when I first saw it when I was probably 11yo or so. I didn't watch it again until my early twenties. For some reason it just clicked when I got a little older. I love the second one now.

Come to think of it, I think B&T2 is the only reason I don't completely hate KISS.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
To me, it's kinda like Harold and Kumar.

Who?

Katie Holmes' tits are the exact opposite of truly horrible.

I won't argue with that, but I'm not sure she has much going on in that regard, but I'm usually focused on other things with her.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2020, 05:14:23 PM »

Come to think of it, I think B&T2 is the only reason I don't completely hate KISS.

It's not even their song...

I don't like Bogus Journey much... I always thought it was weird how you never saw the time circuits in the second film. ( If I recall )...

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2020, 05:18:46 PM »
I was debating whether or not to mention that.  I was checking out some old Argent albums I'd downloaded a while back, and "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" came up and I freaked out just a little.  Also, KISS changed the lyrics a bit, which is why the title of the song was slightly changed.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2020, 05:49:08 AM »
I had no idea that wasn't a KISS original.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2020, 07:03:58 AM »
Hmmm the fact that it's not a total pile of cack wasn't a clue ?  :biggrin:

I never make fun of people for the music they like - only the bands themselves. But KISS - to me - are beyond shit.

I've never heard a single song that made me go " ahhhh ok ... "

And the fact that they're so blatant about being in it for the money and not the music.

It just puts me off them.

----

Unrelated but have you ever heard a cover version of a song and the only thing they havent changed is the words ? Like the music and vocal melody and phrasing is all 100% new.

it's like - just write new words and you've got your own song...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2020, 08:21:08 AM »
Unrelated but have you ever heard a cover version of a song and the only thing they havent changed is the words ? Like the music and vocal melody and phrasing is all 100% new.

it's like - just write new words and you've got your own song...

I have heard a few that were pretty different from the original, but I can't think of any that went as far as what you are describing. 

But speaking of lyrics, I did hear one recently where the cover band got the lyrics wrong in the chorus of the song.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »

Nor I.

I would say it's no less a pile of crap than anything else KISS was releasing in the late 80s and early 90s.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2020, 10:28:34 AM »

Nor I.

I would say it's no less a pile of crap than anything else KISS was releasing in the late 80s and early 90s.

Yeah. That quote baffled me as well. I didn’t know it wasn’t an original, but I also didn’t think it was one of their better songs from post-Elder comeback phase. The whole of creatures of the night is 10 times better than that song.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2020, 05:04:20 PM »
I reach for a handful of KISS songs often. Most of their output has been crap but the good stuff is absolutely classic, imo. GGRAR2U2 is not one of the tracks I reach for. :-)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2020, 11:47:52 PM »
The "good stuff?"  ???

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2020, 03:26:49 PM »
I left Friday night open and just cracked open the first movie's jewel case. Going to binge the trilogy  :metal

Party on, dudes :coolio

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »
I left Friday night open and just cracked open the first movie's jewel case. Going to binge the trilogy  :metal

Party on, dudes :coolio

We're starting on the first one shortly.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2020, 06:25:34 PM »
Noice. Just wrapped up #2. Don't care what anyone says. That movie is solid.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2020, 06:31:58 PM »
Damn, $20 just to rent the new movie, $25 to buy it... That's pretty shitty, tbh. Kind of makes me want to raise the black flag. A theater viewing would have been $10ish. I'd happily pay the $25 right now if it included the Blu-ray at my door upon release. I have a hard time paying $25 for a digital only copy.

I'm going to rent it anyway because I'm half drunk and hyped up, but damn. That's going to drive a lot of people away. Idk what they're thinking. I guess they're assuming non-solo viewers are going to be sharing/mooching off that $20, but still... I figured the cost to digitally stream would have been comparable to a movie ticket.

Edit: The $20 rental is available for 30 days as opposed to the standard 24-48 hour window. That makes it a little easier to swallow as I can get some repeat viewings with friends.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #102 on: August 28, 2020, 06:34:05 PM »
Damn, $20 just to rent the new movie, $25 to buy it... That's pretty shitty, tbh. Kind of makes me want to raise the black flag. A theater viewing would have been $10ish. I'd happily pay the $25 right now if it included the Blu-ray at my door upon release. I have a hard time paying $25 for a digital only copy.

I'm going to rent it anyway because I'm half drunk and hyped up, but damn. That's going to drive a lot of people away. Idk what they're thinking. I guess they're assuming non-solo viewers are going to be sharing/mooching off that $20, but still... I figured the cost to digitally stream would have been comparable to a movie ticket.

It’s for groups/families. If you wait a few months, the price will drop a decent amount.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2020, 06:36:31 PM »

It’s for groups/families. If you wait a few months, the price will drop a decent amount.

I get that. I edited my post as you were typing yours. For a 30 day rental, $20 isn't terrible.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2020, 06:39:46 PM »
I take that back. After the first watch, the rental goes away after 24 hours. Super lame.