Author Topic: Bill and Ted Face the Music  (Read 12788 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Bill and Ted Face the Music
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
Yea. I’m just gonna wait.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2020, 08:20:47 PM »
Alright, I kind of loved everything about this movie. I genuinely laughed out loud a bunch of times, and the fact that so much time has gone by and Bill and Ted were old as fuck worked excellently and to the movie's favor. I have nothing bad to say. It was fun. It wasn't cheap. It wasn't filled with half-assed call backs to the first two movies. I thought the daughters nailed their roles. I think they handled Carlin in the most appropriate way they could have, and I thought the soundtrack was great.

"Disappointed" isn't anywhere on my radar right now.

Kudos to Keanu for being such an awesome sport and doing this film despite the fame he's achieved. Props to so many of the cast members from the first two films for coming back.

Applause all around. Given the circumstances and the time since the first two movies, I have nothing to complain about.

This is a proper trilogy.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »
I watched it today.  Rented it for $18.99 because I'm gonna buy it later on physical media.  No idea when, but I will, because I have the first two on DVD.  So I couldve spent another six bucks and "owned" it, but that's still just a downloadable.  Actually, I'm not even sure how that works; I've never bought something 100% virtual before.  But because I'm gonna buy it later, I saved a few bucks this time.

I figure you'd spend that much at a theater for two people, and that's not possible right now for most people.  Sure, $20 sucks for one person, but most rentals will be for 2 or 3 or more people, so it works out.  It's not the same as a theatrical experience, but it's what we have.

Anyway, I liked it.  Not a cinematic masterpiece any more than the first two were, but a fun time, and I laughed out loud a few times, just sitting there by myself.

I liked the second movie as much as I liked the first, and I can say that this one is comparable.  Not quite as strong, but up there.  Just as the second movie had to come up with a few new crazy things in the spirit of the crazy things in the first movie, we went another step beyond that here, and it worked.  It wasn't flawless, but again, they weren't trying for an Oscar here.

Missy did not disappoint.  I don't think people realize it, but Amy Stoch was 30 in the first movie, 32 in the second.  Do the math.  We wondered who'd she be married to this time, and the "twist" here made sense, and also did not disappoint.

As expected, it took about ten seconds of Alex Winter and Keanu Reeves on screen together, and all I saw was Bill and Ted.  Older, been through a lot of life, some good times and some bad times, but most definitely still Bill and Ted.

SPOILERS

I like how "Little Bill" and "Little Ted" turned out to be girls, but they're clones of their dads anyway.  The father-daughter theme had a natural extension with Rufus' daughter, and her ongoing feud with her mom was fun.  I can see how some would see it as "pushing the feminist agenda" or whatever shit they want to make up, but it didn't bother me.

I saw the twist with Preston/Logan coming from a mile away, but that's okay.  What I wasn't quite as satisfied with was how they actually executed it.  It seemed like the band that the girls put together could've been a little more interesting.  But I liked that they combined the idea of getting people from different points in time with getting various musicians and got musicians from various points in time.  And it was the girls doing it, not Bill and Ted, who had they own adventure to deal with.

The reunion with Death was surprisingly touching.  The constant "reunions" between Bill and Ted and their older selves was weird, silly, and still somehow touching as well.  That's one of the things I meant about them going a bit further with the weird/silly stuff, in the spirit of the first two movies and yet different.

So jamming in C major at 113 bps is the universal tune.  If everyone just jammed together in C major at 113 bps, the world could come together.  Cool.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #108 on: September 06, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »
Noice. Just wrapped up #2. Don't care what anyone says. That movie is solid.

I watched all three yesterday.  The first was just so effortless.  Great set ups and payoffs.

The second...it's fine.  From the very start...the ridiculous outfits worn by Rufus's students.  Featuring the flash-in-the pan Faith No More guy as one of history's great musicians.  Having Missy now married to Ted's dad and the total flip-flop of Ted's dad's demeanor.  The non-non-non-non stuff didn't bother me as much this time, but the whole surreal afterlife/hell sequence didn't work well (except for the scenes where they played games with Death).  And Station(s) was just plain weird.  It's not bad; it just tried to hard too be the first one.  And I thought the whole Rufus disguised as Pam Grier was very well done.

My initial opinion on the third is positive, but I want to give it another watch (which I'll do soon since my wife wants to watch as well).

It wasn't filled with half-assed call backs to the first two movies. I thought the daughters nailed their roles. I think they handled Carlin in the most appropriate way they could have

I agree (particularly with the highlighted).

Props to so many of the cast members from the first two films for coming back.

One of the weirdest (in a neither good nor bad way) things about these movies is that they had three different actresses play each of the princesses.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 06:34:34 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2020, 03:14:22 PM »

Kudos to Keanu for being such an awesome sport and doing this film despite the fame he's achieved. Props to so many of the cast members from the first two films for coming back.

He's an actor . it's literally his job.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2020, 03:37:54 PM »
Of course it's his job, but he's not required to take every role offerred to him.  He could easily have passed on it, no one would've blamed him.  It actually made more sense to not do a Bill and Ted sequel nearly 30 years later.

But Keanu is like one of the coolest guys in the world, and he loves the character(s), and was up for it if the script was good.  They finally put something together, so he did it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »
Kudos to Keanu for being such an awesome sport and doing this film despite the fame he's achieved.

Did he take some sort of discount to do it or something?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2020, 08:27:20 PM »
Kudos to Keanu for being such an awesome sport and doing this film despite the fame he's achieved.

Given that the entire movie was supposedly made for $25M ( https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2020-08-28/bill-and-ted-face-the-music-hendrix-mozart-armstrong ), I'd say he probably did.  He apparently has a history of taking pay cuts to get movies made (took a pay cut so that Al Pacino could be in Devil's Advocate and did the same so that Gene Hackman could be in The Replacements).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2022, 12:24:29 PM »
So...I was going through a drawer of stuff yesterday and found this stuff from when I went tot he filming of the battle of the bands scene from Bogus Journey (which, at that time, had the working title "Bill & Ted Go to Hell").

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2022, 03:38:18 PM »
Pretty cool.

Also, they misspelled Wyld Stallyns, so that makes it a real collector's item!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2022, 07:53:57 PM »
Pretty cool.

Also, they misspelled Wyld Stallyns, so that makes it a real collector's item!

Yeah...I'd be curious what it might go for (although I doubt I'd ever sell).  There were probably only a couple hundred of these to begin with, and who knows how many folks kept them?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2022, 06:37:54 AM »

What an awesome thing to have! I bet there aren't many of those floating around!

Given that the entire movie was supposedly made for $25M ( https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2020-08-28/bill-and-ted-face-the-music-hendrix-mozart-armstrong ), I'd say he probably did.  He apparently has a history of taking pay cuts to get movies made (took a pay cut so that Al Pacino could be in Devil's Advocate and did the same so that Gene Hackman could be in The Replacements).

I'm super late to respond to this, but this is true.

https://www.dkoding.in/trending-today/keanu-reeves-giving-away-his-matrix-earnings-to-the-films-crew/

He took $75M of the money he received from The Matrix  and gave it to the crew.

The worldwide box office for the second and third Matrix films totalled more than $1.2 billion. After everything was said and done, Keanu reportedly gave away an estimated $75 million. Each member of these teams received a one-million-dollar bonus, making them all millionaires on the spot. Keanu didn’t stop with the special effects and costume crews though. He also gave Harley Davidson motorcycles to the entire stunt team on ‘The Matrix’ sequel.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2022, 12:20:02 PM »
Just an FYI, the blu-ray trilogy is on Amazon for only $15 at the moment. I just snagged one despite having 1 and 2 on DVD

Bill & Ted Face the Music/Bill&Ted Bogus Journey/Bill&Ted Excellent Adventure (3 Film Bundle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KBTQ4PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_9PAGQTAEWNDWADPSV84G

Offline jammindude

« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2022, 01:18:17 PM »
Just an FYI, the blu-ray trilogy is on Amazon for only $15 at the moment. I just snagged one despite having 1 and 2 on DVD

Bill & Ted Face the Music/Bill&Ted Bogus Journey/Bill&Ted Excellent Adventure (3 Film Bundle) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KBTQ4PQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_9PAGQTAEWNDWADPSV84G

I’ve been waiting for this. I wasn’t even aware that a physical release it come out yet. But I ordered it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude