Author Topic: Why is time passing so fast today?  (Read 2225 times)

Offline WildRanger

Why is time passing so fast today?
« on: February 04, 2019, 08:43:08 AM »
People who are a way older than me said that when they were kids and young a time didn't pass fast as today, rather slow.
Today me and nearly every person I know, regardless of age, claim that they feel a time is passing so fast.
Sometimes I do nothing special the whole day and I don't even feel that day, how fast it passed.

What's the matter with time today? What's your explanation?
Does time today pass much faster than 50 years ago?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Why is time passing so fast today?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 08:48:31 AM »
The location of black holes nearby our solar system have increased our rotational pull, thus increasing the experience of time.

In 50 years, time will be going so fast that it'll only be 30 years from now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:56:20 AM »
The explanation is that as each year passes, every years becomes a smaller and smaller span of your lifetime, and therefore it feels shorter and shorter.

When you're a kid, say in the first year of school, a year it's just 1/7 of your entire liftetime so far. It never, ever ends and then comes summer and whoah! three loooong months of freedom!

Then you grow older and older and by now a complete turn of the Earth around the Sun is just 1/35th, 1/40th of your lifetime. That's why it feels faster.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »
every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
I think part of it is that we are in a time where everybody is busy. With the advent of technology, there's always something going on. There are many options we have to fill our time and we take advantage. Time goes by faster when we're occupied.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
Pay closer attention and things may slow down. Otherwise, it's just getting faster.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 09:43:59 AM »
Time really started flying for me once we started having kids....ie....we got a lot busier. Seems like as our life has gotten busier the months do fly by. Plus, with my job being centered around construction project work.....our construction schedules speak in terms of months like when things are due to come in....be completed etc etc. So when I have a job that's 'only' a 6 month duration.....that seems to go by fairly quickly given the benchmarks that need to be hit.

I do like senecadawg2's suggestion though. There's something to be said for 'unplugging' a bit and stepping out of the 'race' and trying to soak in life. But like I said....for my wife and I at least.....we're smack in the middle of just a straight on blitz of raising three kids. Time is laughing at us as it bolts right past us.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 09:54:58 AM »
The explanation is that as each year passes, every years becomes a smaller and smaller span of your lifetime, and therefore it feels shorter and shorter.

When you're a kid, say in the first year of school, a year it's just 1/7 of your entire liftetime so far. It never, ever ends and then comes summer and whoah! three loooong months of freedom!

Then you grow older and older and by now a complete turn of the Earth around the Sun is just 1/35th, 1/40th of your lifetime. That's why it feels faster.

Took the words out of my mouth. That is the only logical explanation I have read about why times seems to go faster as we age. Also, it doesn't help that we are in an age where things happen so quickly and everyone wants things to happen instantaneously.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »
It's all relative to your age. It has nothing to do with modern times. Once you have kids especially, it's very easy to see how tie flies. My oldest is turning 10 in a couple weeks. How the hell do I have a 10 year old kid?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 10:55:57 AM »
It's all relative to your age. It has nothing to do with modern times. Once you have kids especially, it's very easy to see how tie flies. My oldest is turning 10 in a couple weeks. How the hell do I have a 10 year old kid?

I mean....from a biological perspective? I can show you some Monty Python skits to explain it quite well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 11:16:48 AM »
Getting older scares me, not getting older by itself but more how days and months seems to go by like nothing and how stressed I feel sometimes that I don't have kids at my age and at the same relieved that I don't have kids.

Last year I mixed up my age and wholeheartedly belived that I was turning 37 but I was infact turning 36, I was genuinely so happy and relieved.
I wasn't too happy when I genuinely turned 37 this year and last years birthday felt like yesterday.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 12:10:17 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »
I have to stop and think twice about how old I am a lot of the time. Your age seems to mean less once you're past 30. Maybe it's just because I don't want to think about how old I've gotten.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 12:56:04 PM »
I have to stop and think twice about how old I am a lot of the time. Your age seems to mean less once you're past 30. Maybe it's just because I don't want to think about how old I've gotten.

Every so often I'll take a good honest 'look' at myself in the mirror and it really sets in that I'm actually 43. Still seems weird to realize that.....and I'm sure it'll only get stranger as that number increases.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 02:09:41 PM »

Every so often I'll take a good honest 'look' at myself in the mirror and it really sets in that I'm actually 43. Still seems weird to realize that.....and I'm sure it'll only get stranger as that number increases.
I'm 37 and feel that way sometimes. I certainly look older than I used too. A few wrinkles around the eyes and stuff like that. Definitely more aches and pains than there used to be. I'm certainly not old by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't feel young anymore. I think all the time about how to enjoy every day for what it brings instead of always looking forward to the weekend, or the next vacation or whatever. I think really focusing on today would help time slow down, but it's difficult to do with the drudgery of the daily grind.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 02:34:17 PM »
I noticed time "speed up" a lot once I was out of school (which for me lasted until I was 28!).  Sports seasons, exams, breaks, big projects (all on the academic calendar) were mileposts on the passage of time, and fairly granular at that.  Once I lost the academic structure was when I suddenly had the feeling of "where the hell did the time go?"
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 03:55:43 PM »
I think that days turn into weeks into months into years.

I work longer and crash harder and I've lost living in the moment that makes life seem to fly right on by.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 05:11:40 PM »

Someone asked me how old I was last week and I legit had to pause and think  :lol  It kind of hit me like holy shit, I'm getting old and the time is flying and I don't seem to realize I am already 34. 

I guess it just has to do with getting older

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 02:07:54 PM »
Life is short.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »
Time doesn't exist. The illuminati just want to make you think it does. #TimeTruther

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »

I'm 37 and feel that way sometimes. I certainly look older than I used too. A few wrinkles around the eyes and stuff like that. Definitely more aches and pains than there used to be. I'm certainly not old by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't feel young anymore. I think all the time about how to enjoy every day for what it brings instead of always looking forward to the weekend, or the next vacation or whatever. I think really focusing on today would help time slow down, but it's difficult to do with the drudgery of the daily grind.

There's a point - that only you can decide, or notice - where the "wow, I'm [37, 43, whatevs], where did the time go" changes to "wow, I'm [whatevs], and for all practical purposes I'm more than halfway there."  That's the moment that really hit me (I'm 51) and when time REALLY started to turn into one of those Bugs Bunny clocks that spins and spins.   

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 04:00:22 PM »
every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time

plans that either come to naught, or half a page of scribbled lines (forum reference anyone)

I often tell people that I understand those lyrics more and more... I don't feel like I missed the starting gun though, just ignored it.

Took the words out of my mouth. That is the only logical explanation I have read about why times seems to go faster as we age. Also, it doesn't help that we are in an age where things happen so quickly and everyone wants things to happen instantaneously.

Word.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »

This is the reason, I read this some time ago and it stucked with me. I was going to post this but these explanation is clearer than anything I could come up with.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »
I'm sure it's different for everyone, but I don't buy the "each year is a smaller slice of your life" explanation.  That would require a very cognizant recognition of the breadth of the span of your life.  We can't be bothered to read a fucking newspaper, you mean to tell me we're grasping the complexity of the totality of our lives?   

I think it has more to do with something King said; it's about living in the moment versus not.   I remember working at the Hartford Civic Center as a security guard, and there was one shift that NO ONE wanted:  it was the top of a stair well, and you literally had to sit on a folding chair in this 12 foot by 12 foot stair landing and make sure the "kids" didn't sneak in the door.  In hindsight it was dumb as shit (anyone could have been rolled or rapes or whatever) but I always took it. I'd slip a paperback in my pocket and - before iPods and phones and shit - I would bring my little "Walkman" cassette player.  The five hours was a welcome break; no school, no relationships, no work (you know what I mean), no nothing except me, my thoughts, my prayers (yes), my book, my music.   And it still dragged, but it was a moment in time.   

I'm exceedingly patient like that; I like myself, and have zero problem being alone.  And yet, even I find myself fidgeting after a while.  Where's my phone?  Did someone try to get in touch with me?  Did I miss a text?  Did TAC post the results in that roulette?   Did Trump say something stupid (again)?   And with all that filling my minutes, I find that <SNAP!> it's Friday already.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:42 AM »
but its monday  :biggrin:

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
That's how fast time is passing!   :)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 08:23:49 AM »
It may sound apparentrly counter-intuitive, but maybe at young age the bulk of our time was time of discovery, leaving deep marks. The more we age the more the percentage of routine increases, and maybe we tend to digest rather than taste, letting everything flow faster.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 04:46:13 PM »
I'm very glad you asked, Wildranger. According to the greatest living 'philostopher' known to mankind, Quentin Robert DeNameland, time is of affliction.

Quote from: Quentin Robert DeNameland
Well, folks, as you can see for yourself, the way this clock over here is behaving, TIME IS OF AFFLICTION! This may be cause for alarm among a portion of you, as, from a certain experience, I tend to proclaim: 'THE EONS ARE CLOSING!'! Now what does this mean, precisely to the layman? Simply this: 'MOMENTARILY, THE NEED FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF NEW LIGHT WILL NO LONGER EXIST!'

Of course, some of you will say: "Who is HE to fell me from this light?" But, in all seriousness, ladies and gentlemen, a quick glance at the erratic behavior of the large, precision-built TIME-DELINEATING APPARATUS beside me will show that it is perhaps only a few moments now! Just look how funny it's going around there! Personally, I find mechanical behavior of this nature to be highly suspicious! When such a device doesn't go normal, the implications of such a behavior bodes not well! And, quite naturally, ladies and gentlemen, when the mechanism in question is entrusted with the task of the delineation of time itself, and if such a mechanism goes on the bum, or the fritz... well, it spells trouble!

I trust this helps.

Also, if you want time to slow down for you, simply wait for Indiscipline to post his next episode of Scenes From His Memory.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens