Author Topic: Running/Exercise Thread  (Read 3150 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Running/Exercise Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2019, 08:44:29 PM »
I've noticed more and more as I age wheras in the past I could counteract my poor diet choices with my running regiment....that my running regiment no longer can stave off the poor choices I make in my diet....so, I guess I'm at that age now (43) where my diet is going to become more important than my exercise regiment.

Sweet, so I've got 8 years still do be able to counteract a shit diet with my training.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2019, 08:46:44 PM »
I've noticed more and more as I age wheras in the past I could counteract my poor diet choices with my running regiment....that my running regiment no longer can stave off the poor choices I make in my diet....so, I guess I'm at that age now (43) where my diet is going to become more important than my exercise regiment.

Sweet, so I've got 8 years still do be able to counteract a shit diet with my training.  ;D

Good luck.  :lol  it’s a pain in the  :censored having to discipline myself to eat better.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 08:54:16 PM »
Last saturday, I ran a half marathon.  In 2 weeks, I have another one.  I'm just happy that we are starting to get real spring weather.  At 57, I can't get any better anymore.  In fact, I have been going downhill for quite some time now. :lol But nothing brings me more joy when I go running or training at the boxing gym or the CrossFit gym.  Ah yeah, music is probably the only thing that matches that.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 03:27:50 AM »

Good luck.  :lol  it’s a pain in the  :censored having to discipline myself to eat better.

This!
I'm trying to eat less suger. Suger is such addicting crap!
Eating more things like rice, chicken, veggies, eggs, fruit, Skyr (kind of yoghurt), nuts (like cashew e.o.)

Moslty I workout 3 times a week.

Tuesday: Barbell workout
Thursday: Running
Saturday: Barbell workout

Running, means 10km at the moment. Try to speed it up before adding another km.
Average speed is ca. 12.5 km/h

Barbell workout is a circuit of 8 rounds.
1 round is:
8 reps Benchpress
8 reps Squat
8 reps Barbell Row
8 reps Deadlift
8 reps Overhead Press
60 sec rest.

Lifting 40kg (except overhead press: 30kg)
When the weight is getting comfortable, I'll ad another 2.5kg.

Love doing this.
Makes me sweat like hell.

btw, I'm 31 years old and already start to notice how important a good diet is...

« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 03:33:01 AM by Dreamdrummer »
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 06:31:20 AM »
Last saturday, I ran a half marathon.  In 2 weeks, I have another one.  I'm just happy that we are starting to get real spring weather.  At 57, I can't get any better anymore.  In fact, I have been going downhill for quite some time now. :lol But nothing brings me more joy when I go running or training at the boxing gym or the CrossFit gym.  Ah yeah, music is probably the only thing that matches that.

Good job man  :tup   I agree....love this spring weather. I’m finally back to almost a normal routine.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2019, 10:43:06 PM »
Hey guys, quick question. Background first... I am not in to exercising at all. I mean AT ALL. Never have been. I also don't eat particularly healthy, but don't feast on a ton of junk either. If anything my wife thinks I don't eat enough. I am 6'1 and 170-175, and while not overweight by the numbers, I have zero muscle or tone and carry all my weight in my belly.

My last job was fairly physical and would keep me on my feet and physically active throughout the day. I am now unemployed and will be a SAHD with my almost 2 year old for a while. I am never going to be buff or ripped. That is not my goal. And I am not committed enough to devote much time to exercise. But I'd like to lose a little bit of the flab around my middle.

I would be happy to hear any suggestions you experts may have for exercises a lazy person like myself can do around the house during my new free time to help with my belly.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2019, 01:42:17 AM »
Hey guys, quick question. Background first... I am not in to exercising at all. I mean AT ALL. Never have been. I also don't eat particularly healthy, but don't feast on a ton of junk either. If anything my wife thinks I don't eat enough. I am 6'1 and 170-175, and while not overweight by the numbers, I have zero muscle or tone and carry all my weight in my belly.

My last job was fairly physical and would keep me on my feet and physically active throughout the day. I am now unemployed and will be a SAHD with my almost 2 year old for a while. I am never going to be buff or ripped. That is not my goal. And I am not committed enough to devote much time to exercise. But I'd like to lose a little bit of the flab around my middle.

I would be happy to hear any suggestions you experts may have for exercises a lazy person like myself can do around the house during my new free time to help with my belly.

There’s two things you need to know if you want to lose weight:

1- First, it’s really a simple thing at its core. Expend more calories than you take in. Burn the energy you eat plus more so the excess calories don’t get stored as fat for later use. So, in short, eat right (this is probably most important as if your diet is terrible, you’ll never burn off enough energy) and exercise.

2- The second thing pertains to the bolded above. If you’re going to lose weight, you have to commit to it. Make a schedule and stick to it. It’s only 30 minutes of activity a day that’s generally recommended, so you should be able to fit it in to your new found time. It’s also far too easy to put things off if you’re not feeling it. A rest day here and there is fine, but most times, force yourself to go. You’ll find it gets easier the more you do it.

That said, probably the easiest thing you can do is just get out and walk the neighborhood. Put your kid in the stroller and go out for a couple miles, or around 30-40 minutes. You’ll burn just as many calories as if you ran the same distance, it just takes a little longer. Plus you’ll be modeling a healthy habit for your kid in being active.

Good luck!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2019, 06:10:56 AM »

The good news is your BMI (Body mass index) is 22.4 which is in normal range, so you are at a good starting point. Here's a chart for perspective: 

I'm 5' 10'' and 157 pounds and Here's my routine:

Diet - I reduce sugar and carbs as much as possible, so no soda or juice. No junk food. I eat a variety of proteins (Steak, chicken, fish, eggs ect) and that's the main part of what I eat. Red meat in moderation. If I do eat carbs (Pasta, bread, rice) then I eat brown rice or whole wheat pasta and bread. I do whey protein drinks twice a day, and if I exercise, I have it right after.

Cardio- I've been able to reduce belly fat with cardio. I got a $250 dollar elliptical machine for my place and I absolutely love it. I've always hated cardio, but this thing is easy, convenient and comfortable to use. I do around 15 mins at least 3 times a week. Now that's just me, if you want to just jog around the neighborhood or do a treadmill, that works too. I just know that elliptical is easier on the knees, so that's what drove that decision.

-Even just walking around the neighborhood or the local park would be a good start as well. Burning belling fat I found works best when you get your heart rate up, as with cardio exercise. Just walking around has its limitations.

Weight lifting - This helps build muscle. I do all free weights, using a weight bench and standing. If you never lifted ever in your life, I would probably start with 20 pound dumbells and see how they feel. Then I do the following.

1. Dumbell flies (on the bench)
2. Bent over rows (on the bench)
3. Shoulder press
4. Tri-cep kick backs
5. Bi cep curls
6. Shoulder shrugs
7. Dumbell press (on the bench)
8. Behind the back

There's video of all those weight exercises on youtube so you can see how they are done. And you can add and remove what you want to. And if you want to build muscle, you MUST consume protein. I recommend Gold standard whey protein. Its quick and easy.

That whole routine has worked well for me, so try out what you think you would like and then from that build your own routine personalized to you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »
I've been off the exercise bandwagon since last July... house hunting, house selling, and moving simply consumed virtually all of my free disposable time.  I did a little bit of steady-state cardio (stationary bike) occasionally, but otherwise virtually nothing.  However, somehow I lost 9lbs from Jan-Apr this year.  I think it was a combination of being in constant motion (packing, moving, unpacking etc...), and a low caloric intake simply due to being so busy, I didn't realize how much I was (or was not) eating.

This weekend, we're finishing up house setup - storage/workout room being the last room in the house to get done.  Within a couple of weeks, I'll be able to get back in to a routine.  Since I'm at my lowest weight since I was like ... 14 (seriously, I was a fat kid, and never got below 183 in the peak of my exercise routine back in 2008 - I'm as of this morning), I can jump right back into lifting.  Think I'll start with some bodyweight exercises first, and get my muscles used to being worked again.

@ Chris.... there are a LOT of bodyweight exercises could do as a starting point - squats, pushups, burpees, lunges, situps ... I'm sure all of us here could rhyme off a few dozen different types of movements.  Just listen to your body.  Start slow, and be patient.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2019, 07:22:36 AM »
I find the whole BMI thing to be a useful guide, but I wouldn't put a lot of thought into it since all it takes into account is your weight and height.  Using the BMI, John Cena would be considered fat.  :lol :lol

I have gotten back into lifting the last two weeks, albeit lighter lifting.  I was never a heavy lifter, but I used to lift 5-6 days a week, so getting back into has been easy.  Being 45 now, the more I work out, the less certain little aches and pains bother me, so I need to keep at it. 

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »
There are tons of free apps out there that I like to use. I'm cheap and a data nerd.

Food - there are tons of calorie counters. I use fitbit since I wear one, there is also myfitnesspal which is very popular.
Cardio - I would recommend starting with a couch to 5k. It starts you off easy and works you up to being able to run. Lots of free apps out there, even ones with story lines. My husband really enjoyed Zombies, Run!
Work outs/weight training - I found Nike has a free app with a ton of built in work outs that have a great variety. I usually start with a mile run on the treadmill as a warm up and then find one of the workouts on the Nike Training app.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2019, 12:20:51 PM »
Thanks guys (and gal!)

That said, probably the easiest thing you can do is just get out and walk the neighborhood. Put your kid in the stroller and go out for a couple miles, or around 30-40 minutes. You’ll burn just as many calories as if you ran the same distance, it just takes a little longer. Plus you’ll be modeling a healthy habit for your kid in being active.

This was going to be my first plan. Kid isn't a big stroller person, (neither of mine were) so I'll have to see how long she wants to sit in one.

Since I'm at my lowest weight since I was like ... 14 (seriously, I was a fat kid, and never got below 183 in the peak of my exercise routine back in 2008 - I'm as of this morning)

Funny, I was too. I was the boy who would want to wear my t-shirt in the pool and had my boobs made fun of a couple times. I worked a catering job in my early twenties and got up to around 210.

@ Chris.... there are a LOT of bodyweight exercises could do as a starting point - squats, pushups, burpees, lunges, situps ... I'm sure all of us here could rhyme off a few dozen different types of movements.  Just listen to your body.  Start slow, and be patient.

I know all the movements but I feel like a goofus doing them by myself without any sort of video reference. Any recommendations for any youtube videos? I know there are probably about a billion, I just don't know where to start.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2019, 12:35:29 PM »
Try looking up exercises on bodybuilding.com and watching the videos. They show proper form for whatever exercise you could think of. Helped me a lot when I was first getting into exercise and weight loss.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »

I know all the movements but I feel like a goofus doing them by myself without any sort of video reference. Any recommendations for any youtube videos? I know there are probably about a billion, I just don't know where to start.

The Nike Training app includes video instructions for all movements. It really is a great app.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2019, 07:28:23 PM »
Sorry Katt, but bodybuilding.com blows.

Chris, check out AthleanX.com. I guaran-damn-tee you won’t be disappointed. A lot of his old videos he’s got some great routines
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2019, 08:37:47 AM »
I mean the site itself sucks but idk that's how I learned a lot of movements and it's worked wonders for me. Granted I also was fresh out of high school and weightlifting class, too, so I had that knowledge...

I always get much more invigorated about weightlifting and cardio when the weather starts to warm up, so lately I've been going to the gym before work in the morning and sometimes even twice in one day. I started using Brooks shoes, the Adrenaline GTS series, about 6 years ago and I buy a new pair every year. However for Christmas last year I treated myself to a different series of Brooks shoes, the Ghost 11, and I think they're the prettiest shoes I've ever owned. I baby these things and only put them on when I get to the gym and do my workout. SUPER COMFORTABLE. I might be sticking with the Ghost line from now on.

Going to try to get back to walking/running outside. In the summer, taking a few hours to jam to music and walk out in the countryside is so relaxing. I have a super sweet tooth so I often joke about working out to afford being able to eat like crap, but I want to get back to the best shape of my life by the end of this year, which is possible. I'm not fat by any means but I have some stubborn belly fat to burn and a naturally round face that I can't stand, so we'll see if I can get back to where I was in 2014.

Good luck everyone. Stay safe and get healthy.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
Yeah the Ghost shoes are sexy.

Speaking of shoes, have any of you ever tried running in barefoot/minimalist shoes? I've been trying to figure out whether this is just a fad or if it might legitimately help decrease repetitive stress injuries like shin splints and runners knee, which I haven't been able to shake for a while now.

My hunch is that barefoot shoes force us to use better form and posture, which may be good long term, but that we may be able to return to the comfort of our running shoes once we relearn correct form and posture. Any takers?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2019, 10:58:55 AM »

Speaking of shoes, have any of you ever tried running in barefoot/minimalist shoes? I've been trying to figure out whether this is just a fad or if it might legitimately help decrease repetitive stress injuries like shin splints and runners knee, which I haven't been able to shake for a while now.

My hunch is that barefoot shoes force us to use better form and posture, which may be good long term, but that we may be able to return to the comfort of our running shoes once we relearn correct form and posture. Any takers?

Avoid wasting money on "barefoot" shoes and just run barefoot. It's an amazing freedom. Unless you're doing your run on trails or straight gravel, your feet should be able to handle the terrain. I used to do it on just the sidewalk in my neighborhood, and even the occasional rock/pebble or broken acorn didn't cause any problems. It forces you to be more mindful of your foot strikes, and your foot can easily adapt to the occasional under foot debris. WARNING to anyone wanting to try barefoot style running: EASE into it. Build your miles starting small, and with small increments. I did 1.5 miles on my first barefoot run and literally couldn't walk for over a week because my calves we're basically locked up. Definitely not fun.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2019, 11:01:45 AM »

I seem to recall someone here that's a certified personal trainer that offered up any help to anyone that wants to come get it.
 :hat

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2019, 03:09:28 PM »
You gotta have brass balls to run barefoot on the sidewalk. Way too much debris from trees, rocks, even broken glass for me to risk that. Might get away with it at the high school football track.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2019, 03:20:55 PM »

Avoid wasting money on "barefoot" shoes and just run barefoot. It's an amazing freedom. Unless you're doing your run on trails or straight gravel, your feet should be able to handle the terrain. I used to do it on just the sidewalk in my neighborhood, and even the occasional rock/pebble or broken acorn didn't cause any problems. It forces you to be more mindful of your foot strikes, and your foot can easily adapt to the occasional under foot debris. WARNING to anyone wanting to try barefoot style running: EASE into it. Build your miles starting small, and with small increments. I did 1.5 miles on my first barefoot run and literally couldn't walk for over a week because my calves we're basically locked up. Definitely not fun.

Thanks for the advice, I'm definitely going to give it a try. I used to live and run on suburban roads where I wouldn't have worried so much, and I'll be moving back that way soon, but this past year I've been living in a smallish town in which my typical 3-5 mile morning jog takes me through strip mall parking lots, peoples unkempt front lawns facing a 45 mph, high-traffic road, and a half-mile loop on a boardwalk that's visibly splintering. There's a decent track at the local high school though, which sounds better suited for short distance work to strengthen the feet anyway.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »
My feet are so sensitive I don't like to be barefoot, mostly at all  :lol

But I'm definitely on the exercise bandwagon after being off it for a long time.  I have an exercise bike and some dumbbells/bench in my basement, but since I am pretty out of shape, I'm not doing too much just yet and easing into it.  Just ride my bike for a bit after work for now, but I plan on pushing my biking further and adding some weight exercises as well.

Honestly though, my diet is this:

1- First, it’s really a simple thing at its core. Expend more calories than you take in. Burn the energy you eat plus more so the excess calories don’t get stored as fat for later use. So, in short, eat right (this is probably most important as if your diet is terrible, you’ll never burn off enough energy) and exercise.

Just cut down on my calorie intake by a large amount, add in some cardio and weight, and the pounds should shred off easily.  I did this before about 10 years ago and lost 55 pounds in 6 months.  But then, I was unemployed (and no kid) so I had a lot of free time to do cardio twice a day.  Now, it's tougher as work has me consumed but if I put in the effort, it will happen and that's just what I am committing to for now, but in the effort even if it's not too much today but as long as it's getting done and I am adding to it over time as my body adjusted.  I would love to lose 30 pounds in that same 6 month timeframe.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2019, 05:09:16 PM »
Chris, check out AthleanX.com. I guaran-damn-tee you won’t be disappointed. A lot of his old videos he’s got some great routines

Saw some of this guy's videos and liked what I saw. Will give these a go for a week or so and see how I feel.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2019, 04:47:28 AM »

Saw some of this guy's videos and liked what I saw. Will give these a go for a week or so and see how I feel.

He posts really informative videos at least once a week, usually 2 or 3 times.  And there are some REALLY good ones from before his following really blew up.  Just subscribe to his YT channel and you can find a ton of gold.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »
I did my first trail run in 30 months. Running is difficult right now  :loser:.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »
Running is difficult right now

Yeah...I'm right there. I started running in 2007 when I had reached my heaviest weight I'd ever been (217 lbs... I'm 5'-6" so not a lot of room to 'hide' that weight) so I started running and exercising and ended up at that time dropping 63 lbs

Anyway, I really took to it as some of you might know from my posts throughout the years. really got in to trail running....just running in general. I consider it just as much mental therapy as exercise. For a solid 10-12 years I ran three or four times a week....anywhere from 5-8 miles at a time and have averaged 2 ir not 3 races a year to boot. About two years ago I started playing in a men's ice hockey rec league one a week and I've noticed since then that's when my health has taken a hit.

I had a pretty bad groin injury pop up that had never been an issue in the entirety of my running career....then, I had a trail half marathon that I was supposed to run on Sept. 7th and woke up for it and my lower back was barking big time. Like, hurt to walk type barking. That had never happened either. I didn't run that race and since then I may have ran maybe 5 or 6 times. I'm still playing hockey on Sunday nights and occasionally on Mondays as well....but this lower back deal I had pop up is still kind of lingering in the background. Like to the point of.....sorry for the description here.....even wiping when on the toilet is difficult to perform without a level of discomfort.

I thought maybe my weight was the issue as I'm about 10 lbs over where I historically linger at weight wise....but I'm starting to think that maybe...just maybe...my age and level of activity over the past decade plus may be starting to catch up to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2019, 10:22:35 AM »
Yup...we're all there.  About a month ago, while deadlifting, I must've tweaked something on my left side at the back of my hip.  It wasn't a sharp pain that I instantly noticed, but after that workout there was a dull ache that just has not gone away.  I had an elbow thing (golfers elbow) creep up on me a few years back, and linger for about 9 months.

#sigh.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »
I had an elbow thing (golfers elbow) creep up on me a few years back, and linger for about 9 months.

DUDE! that was another thing. I had 'tennis elbow' from about Thanksgiving last year to February-ish. Holy Cow!! I always thought tennis elbow was some no big deal type injury. That crap friggin' hurt to the point of tears sometimes. Can't straighten your arm....zero grip strength....it was brutal. Me being stubborn I refused to not play hockey each sunday because I had paid for the session....so even if it felt better by thurs/fri it'd flare back up after games on sunday.

To this day it still lingers but it's not debilitating. I use an e-stimulator I bought at Walmart to use electrical therapy on it. Freaking aging man....it's for the birds.