Author Topic: Running/Exercise Thread  (Read 3179 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Running/Exercise Thread
« on: February 02, 2019, 10:19:12 AM »
Apologies if a thread like this already exists—I scanned through the first few pages of threads and didn't see anything that fit the bill.

I've recently discovered a passion for running. I'd say it's my greatest hobby at the moment and has been for a few months now. I didn't get into it for any particular health reasons—just for the fun of it—though I really admire that mindset as well. For me, it's more about finding solace away from other responsibilities. Especially with long runs on the weekend, I've found it's a great time to catch up with myself, listen to new albums (or even audio books), and keep my senses sharp. I haven't raced yet, but I'm building up the fitness to eventually take on the marathon. Long-term goal would be an ultra-marathon.

Anyone else, past or present, interested in this stuff? If not running, maybe a different, exercise-related passion not covered in the golf thread?  :smiley:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Running/Exercise Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
Yep. Started running in 2007 for health reasons. Just to start exercising. Now it’s a part of my life. I NEED to run at least 3 days a week for my mental health. I notice when it’s been a day or two I get cranky. I know it’s good physical exercise but nowadays it’s just as much for my mental state as well.

I got into Trail Running about 7-8 years ago also. It’s a blast! In fact, I have a 10k trail run on the 17th this month then a half marathon trail run on March 3rd. If you haven’t tried Trail running I highly suggest it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
Did a couch to 5k last year and then followed that up with a 5k to 10k program. Haven't done any actual races, but I'm really enjoying it. Now I'm focusing on speed rather than distance since I'm pretty slow.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »
That's great. I'm also trying to up my speed, but it's the gradual process that I've enjoyed the most. After playing lots of team sports growing up and always feeling the pressure of having to perform for the group as a whole, something I love about running is the absolute independence of it, including going as fast or slow as I'm feeling on the day.

Yep. Started running in 2007 for health reasons. Just to start exercising. Now it’s a part of my life. I NEED to run at least 3 days a week for my mental health. I notice when it’s been a day or two I get cranky. I know it’s good physical exercise but nowadays it’s just as much for my mental state as well.

I got into Trail Running about 7-8 years ago also. It’s a blast! In fact, I have a 10k trail run on the 17th this month then a half marathon trail run on March 3rd. If you haven’t tried Trail running I highly suggest it.

I know exactly what you're talking about—so much of the benefit is mental.

And yes, I love running on trails! I was doing that pretty consistently before I almost stepped on what looked like the same cottonmouth a couple times in a row, always a couple miles into an out-and-back trail. I didn't have health insurance at the time and it spooked me pretty badly, but now that I'm covered I'm starting to get back out there again.

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:27:41 PM »
Been running for the past 6 1/2 years or so since meeting my wife. Took it up to lose some weight as well as get the girl - double benefit! We’ve done plenty of races since then of all distances, most recently the California International Marathon this last December.

I too get the need to move the legs fairly frequently, though these rainy Oregon winter doldrums make it tough to motivate sometimes this time of year. I’m a bit of an oddity in that I prefer road running to trails. I just like being able to zone out and go my pace when on the road vs. having to watch out for things to trip on or break your ankles on the trail. But really, I’m not opposed to either style.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 07:59:51 AM »
Oh yeah.....I still like a good ‘road’ run. You’re right, you can kind of drift off a bit. You do that for a second or two on a trail run and your busting your  :censored ha ha ha. Which I’ve done a few times.

I don’t run for speed much these days. I’ve unfortunately entered in to the realm of there’s always something hurting or aching. If it’s not a knee it’s an ankle....or a calf muscle...etc etc. I can usually run 6 miles in an hour on the road...maybe 5 or a bit more on the trails. I’m not even close to being a ‘fast’ runner. My goal these days is to 1. Finish the races and 2. Stay healthy doing it. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »
I used to hit the gym 4-6 days a week.  Now I am lucky if I get there more than a few times a month. >:( :(

Enjoy being under 40, those of you who are, because once the big 4-0 hits, little aches and pains creep up and never seem to fully go away. 

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »

Enjoy being under 40, those of you who are, because once the big 4-0 hits, little aches and pains creep up and never seem to fully go away.

Good to know. I just turned 39 a month ago. Even still, I’ve had an occasional recurrent issue in my low back and right hamstring the past couple years. Nothing major, but still an annoying nag. Not looking forward to things eventually getting worse with more frequent injuries that last longer.  :lol

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:52:05 PM »
I would have been SO into this thread in the past. I was/AM totally obsessed with running. I had major hip surgery 2 years ago and haven't been able to get past continuous issues that keep me from being able to really get back into it. I miss it SO MUCH, I get incredibly jealous when I see people out running. I daydream of running on my favorite trails. But I still haven't given up, and I work towards it every day. And I'm glad other people are enjoying it as well.  :tup

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 03:27:35 PM »
I would have been SO into this thread in the past. I was/AM totally obsessed with running. I had major hip surgery 2 years ago and haven't been able to get past continuous issues that keep me from being able to really get back into it. I miss it SO MUCH, I get incredibly jealous when I see people out running. I daydream of running on my favorite trails. But I still haven't given up, and I work towards it every day. And I'm glad other people are enjoying it as well.  :tup

Aw man, that's rough. I hope you're able to get back to it soon. I was having issues with shin splints for a while and felt bitter whenever I drove by people running on the side of the road, so I understand that jealousy well. :lol Of course hip surgery is so much worse, but I feel you.

Stay strong dude.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 06:59:10 AM »
I've been jogging since I was 20 and I'm 57 now.  I do half marathon (3 last summer).  I don't imagine myself not running anymore.  During the winter I still run on the treadmill since it's freezing hell here.  I had to slow down since a couple of years because injuries were happening and had to accept that I can't push as much all the time like I have always do.

It's one of the best moment of my day.  I do it with my dogs but as they got old, I'm more often alone or occasionally with a partner from the boxing gym or the CrossFit gym where I go.  I like to here my feet hitting the ground and my breathing rythmn.  I do wear earphones and listen to some great music but mostly I just like hearing what surround me.  Ducks, water, wind, birds.

I do get older but I see myself doing that for a good 20 years.  I might have to alternate that with some walking one day.  But for now, I feel fit, loving it.  My favorite hobby with playing music.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 07:09:21 AM »

Man, I can really understand your feelings.  It's my biggest fear when I think of it.  I could not see myself not running.  In 2001, I broke my right leg while playing hockey.  Very much damaged, I was 6 months off of working and it took me 2 years to get back to run slowly and short distances.  I hope you'll be able to run again.  Even if it's very short distances, just doing it and maybe getting all your body in a comfortable motion with your hips.  Just do it, one step at a time. 

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 12:07:39 PM »
I go to the gym about 4 times a week, but when my wife had her knee replacement surgery, I bought an Echelon spin bike and now I ride the bike at 4:00 a.m. and then go to the gym and hit the machines and then the steam room.  The bike is so convenient especially when I do not feel up to going the gym, but still want to exercise.  I do have to pay a monthly fee for the Echelon spin classes, but well worth the money.

When I got the bike all of the family members wanted to try it out sometime, but that did not happen.  I know all about those good intentions, so I will not judge them.  I just told them the spin bike is not going to turn into a place to hang your coat.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 06:04:57 PM »
I started running ten years ago (I'm 38 now).

Like a lot of people, my initial motivations were simply to get in shape. I had slowly let go of myself in the decade since graduating high school. Working lots of hours, traveling all around the country with bands...one thing led to another and before I knew it, a decade had flown by and all I had to show for the time was about 45 extra pounds.

And so I started to run. Slowly. And after a painful Summer where I slowly built up my endurance, I ran my first mini-triathlon, and as they say, the rest is history.

I've run 4-5 days a week for the past ten years. I've run tons of races (5ks, Marathons, a ton of Ultras and even a brutal 50 miler), and prefer trail running to all others.

I enjoyed watching myself get in better and better shape as my thirties wore on, and everything was going swimmingly until a trip to the emergency room last year led to pretty startling esophagitis diagnosis that ultimately led to an insane surgery (due to the presence of pre-cancerous cells...seriously, wtf??? I'm only 37 I thought to myself over and over again) which was accompanied by a 'no lifting weights' for 6-12 months order from my team of doctors.

"What can I do?" I asked. I was told that literally, the only exercise I was allowed to do was running. That is if I 'could' run.

I will never forget waking up in the hospital bed and instantly understanding what they meant. I was in so much pain. I literally couldn't walk. And I was on a liquid diet for the next two months.

Guys, let me tell you, there is nothing more depressing than watching your hard-earned physique literally disappear before your very eyes. It was freaking horrible.

But, I could still run. And so, a week later, my wife dropped me off at the gym, and I hobbled for 8 minutes on the treadmill before I waved the white flag. Onwward and upward I thought to myself. It sucked to have to start over, but I was overjoyed that I still could move. It's insane how a hospital stay can completely re-wire your perspective on things.

And now, about a year later, I am back. And beyond happy to be running. Every morning I get up, lace up my shoes, and can't wait to hit the road/trail/treadmill (depending on the weather). The best part is that, at 38, I am routinely within seconds of PR's I set in high-school.

No, on second thought, I take it back. That's not the best part. The best part is I'm just happy to be able to move my legs.

I know it's hard to find the time...but seriously, to everyone here, I highly recommend making running/the gym a priority and working backwards from it.

Do it while you can!

Offline red barchetta

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 06:16:26 AM »
Hi, I'm happy for you that you're able to run.  As I get older, I can't perform as well as I use to be.  There are days, I can be as fast as when I was in my 40's but it's only on a very good day.  Performance is a lesser part of the whole thing now.  I had to accept that.  But on a scheduled official race, I'm certainly aiming for the best I can do on that day and it still does happen on occasions when I just do my regular jogging here in the city.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 07:07:29 AM »
Great post William Munny—it often takes a crisis for me to appreciate what I've got, but reading your story has given me a big dose of healthy perspective. And, of course, I'm glad you've still got it. Long may it continue.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
This is probably the opposite of most, but I'm extremely thin. And this year I'm finally making an effort to fix that a bit. I've been working out a few times a week for a couple months now. So it feels good to have that routine.

On the subject of cardio though, I've spent a lot of time working on stamina in ITG, so there's that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 08:55:19 AM »
@WilliamMunny - Very glad that you're able to get back in to it. I can't imagine what that scenario must have been like.

Although it's not as drastic as your scenario......for the first time in my 'exercise' life (since 2007) I've been facing some lingering issues. I pulled my right groin playing hockey last December and it's just not healing. Now, I've not done it any favors because I know I haven't rested it properly...but it is lingering. Strange thing is that it's not my groin so much any longer....that pain resided and worked it's way into my lower abdomen....from what it feels like its the lowest set of muscles in my abs. They don't 'hurt'...but are just sore. constantly. It's the kind of soreness you'd get the day after a good ab workout but would typically go away. Yet....this just persists. It's annoying.

I can still run...it's not crippling....just 'there'. It only really hurts when I am laying flat like getting out of bed or sitting up from a chair. It's odd.

Oh and....i've had freaking tennis elbow for about three months now. Talk about annoying. Like I said...I'm not doing myself any favors because I'm still playing hockey once a week and running a few times a week. I have a 10k trail race on the 17th this month then a half marathon trail run on March 3rd that I still really want to do. My fight right now is with pride and doing the right thing or keep being stubborn and pretending these issues are just going to vanish.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »
GMiller, you really need to take some time off. One of the things most people don't think about when working through an injury is how it will effect the rest of your body. Weak links in the kinetic chain cause other muscles to pick up the slack and do more work than they should. Honestly, in my professional opinion (performance trainer) you shouldn't do either of those races. At the very least skip the near race and see if you can heal over the next month. That time off might make the task of a half marathon no longer doable with lack of training, but there's always more races to run. My brother had knee pain but got a lottery spot in the NYC half. We went and he did his 28* half marathon, and promptly came home to find out he needed surgery to repair his meniscus.

I had major hip surgery (arthroscopic repair of extreme labrum tear, femoroplasty, acetabuloplasty) almost 2 years ago, and problems related to the injury for 1.5 years before that. I've had numerous occasions where I would strain my glute or hamstring by doing too much, and end up taking as much as 3 months off doing NOTHING (the slowest a person can move and still move forward). I realized something... When people say to themselves, "What's the worst that can happen," they very rarely answer the question accurately and truthfully. After countless setbacks because of stupid trivial shit, I adapted the question... "Is it worth it?" As someone that's suffered the consequences too many times to count now, the answer is NO. Take the time off and get healthy, because you've got a lot of years left and I imagine you'd like to spend them running. Being smart now can do you a major favor in the future.

Online Snow Dog

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »
Gmiller, have you seen a physical therapist yet for what you describe. I may be biased since I’m a PT myself, but it might not be a bad idea. They can identify where you are tight or weak and give you some exercises to address those deficits, as well as look at your running gait pattern to also give you some things to focus on during training runs. As a runner myself, I know it’s tough to just stop completely, and a PT can give you some advice on how to keep running while also addressing the issues you’re facing, or also help you make the call if you really should rest it for a short while as well. In any case, I hope those pains go away at some point. Nagging aches suck!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 10:48:47 AM »
GMiller, you really need to take some time off. One of the things most people don't think about when working through an injury is how it will effect the rest of your body. Weak links in the kinetic chain cause other muscles to pick up the slack and do more work than they should. Honestly, in my professional opinion (performance trainer) you shouldn't do either of those races. At the very least skip the near race and see if you can heal over the next month. That time off might make the task of a half marathon no longer doable with lack of training, but there's always more races to run. My brother had knee pain but got a lottery spot in the NYC half. We went and he did his 28* half marathon, and promptly came home to find out he needed surgery to repair his meniscus.

I had major hip surgery (arthroscopic repair of extreme labrum tear, femoroplasty, acetabuloplasty) almost 2 years ago, and problems related to the injury for 1.5 years before that. I've had numerous occasions where I would strain my glute or hamstring by doing too much, and end up taking as much as 3 months off doing NOTHING (the slowest a person can move and still move forward). I realized something... When people say to themselves, "What's the worst that can happen," they very rarely answer the question accurately and truthfully. After countless setbacks because of stupid trivial shit, I adapted the question... "Is it worth it?" As someone that's suffered the consequences too many times to count now, the answer is NO. Take the time off and get healthy, because you've got a lot of years left and I imagine you'd like to spend them running. Being smart now can do you a major favor in the future.

After the hip surgery, did they tell you that you couldn't run any more? Just curious. I used to run and loved it. I was in a car accident a year ago and messed up my back and hip. Chiropractic care has really helped me, I'm almost back to feeling normal a year later, but one thing my chiro said is that he wouldn't recommend me running anymore. My right hip was completely out of alignment which was causing it to wear unnaturally. His thought process is that the impact of running just wouldn't be good for it.

It's killing me to not run. As you guys have mentioned, it was a huge mental benefit for my life. It was how I relaxed mentally. I'd love to be able to do it again.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 02:56:39 PM »

Thanks for the feedback...really. I appreciate it. I 'know' this is the approach I should take. What I'm battling is my pride and the fact that I only have (8) games to go in this session of hockey and I'm wanting to get my moneys worth. But, as you say...I could really end up hurting myself. It's such a weird injury because it 'hurts' just enough for me to know that 'something' is wrong....yet, it's not so crippling to where I can still go run 5 miles and I barely notice while I'm running. Even playing hockey (I've taken the past two weeks off) I can get around....it's always the 'after' effect of cooling down where it really rears it's head again. Both the groin and my elbow.

Gmiller, have you seen a physical therapist yet for what you describe. I may be biased since I’m a PT myself, but it might not be a bad idea. They can identify where you are tight or weak and give you some exercises to address those deficits, as well as look at your running gait pattern to also give you some things to focus on during training runs. As a runner myself, I know it’s tough to just stop completely, and a PT can give you some advice on how to keep running while also addressing the issues you’re facing, or also help you make the call if you really should rest it for a short while as well. In any case, I hope those pains go away at some point. Nagging aches suck!

Not yet. I've been looking for the right place to go. I just haven't put a ton of effort into it. Historically I've healed quickly on these little aches and pains so I haven't seriously considered a doctor until the past week or two. I've been holding out that it'd just 'go away'  It doesn't look like that's gonna happen.

Online WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »

I will second this big time. Rest never seemed to work for me. But after I spent some time (and a small fortune) with a PT some years back, I was put on a routine that allowed me to work through my IT band and hip issues.

Knock on wood, but my legs have been good ever since.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »
After the hip surgery, did they tell you that you couldn't run any more? Just curious. I used to run and loved it. I was in a car accident a year ago and messed up my back and hip. Chiropractic care has really helped me, I'm almost back to feeling normal a year later, but one thing my chiro said is that he wouldn't recommend me running anymore. My right hip was completely out of alignment which was causing it to wear unnaturally. His thought process is that the impact of running just wouldn't be good for it.

It's killing me to not run. As you guys have mentioned, it was a huge mental benefit for my life. It was how I relaxed mentally. I'd love to be able to do it again.

I was never told that I SHOULDN'T run. In fact, I was never told, "Your life will never be the same." lol There are protocols for returning to running from the specific surgery I had, but the real problem has been the amount of "damage" I did to surrounding muscle groups while my hip was getting worse. That's why I was stressing REST to GMiller. Being in good physical shape can kinda "hide" some problems, or at least disguise how serious it actually is. So, I'm a personal trainer/performance specialist/golf fitness specialist. I would train hard, and do A LOT of core work specific to golf. I had two doctors and two PTs tell me that my level of fitness (specifically in my core area) compensated for my injury and ultimately allowed it to get WAY WORSE over the course of my activity. That was due to the compensations by surrounding muscles groups, doing WAY more than they were ever supposed to. My hamstring and glute have never really been the same. I can deal with "hip" pain, and other than the occasional "stop you in your tracks/take you to your knees" pain, I don't really let my actual HIP stop me from doing much. It's the muscles that just can't keep up, no matter what I do. Every time I start to pull myself out of the hole, I do something stupid and find myself falling down to the bottom of a pit of despair, where all hope goes to die...

So I say again, don't YOLO yourself by saying, "What's the worst that can happen?" Think about what you could potentially lose, and ask yourself, "Is it worth it?"

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback...really. I appreciate it. I 'know' this is the approach I should take. What I'm battling is my pride and the fact that I only have (8) games to go in this session of hockey and I'm wanting to get my moneys worth. But, as you say...I could really end up hurting myself. It's such a weird injury because it 'hurts' just enough for me to know that 'something' is wrong....yet, it's not so crippling to where I can still go run 5 miles and I barely notice while I'm running. Even playing hockey (I've taken the past two weeks off) I can get around....it's always the 'after' effect of cooling down where it really rears it's head again. Both the groin and my elbow.

Let me tell you a story... I remember doing a huge core workout (650+ reps) in the summer of 2015. It left me feeling perpetually tight in my left side, and I had almost endless ITB issues (I also experienced some before the workout, so I believe the problem was already forming) that kept me from a lot of running (who wants to drive across town to a trail just to have a hot knife work it's way into my knee about a mile in?). Even though I felt this tightness, I still worked out, did core work, and spent the summer of 2016 improving my swing speed in golf. Doing only "on course" work, I got my swing speed WAY up, and my long drive that summer was 348 (firm and fast doesn't exist in Florida during the summer). But, I was literally stretching out my left side before every swing. Eventually, I realized that I should see a doctor, and scheduled an appointment for Nov. 2016. I figured at the very least that the doc would suggest I take some time off to try and heal any potential injury. So I set up one last round of golf about a week before, saying to myself, "What's the worst that could happen?" Well, the answer was, "Total devastation!" I remember my hips basically stopping mid swing as they just finally gave up on me. Good thing I had that doc appt! First step was to try PT before getting an MRI and exploring invasive procedures. I did 2 months of PT and was doing good. I went for a run in late Jan. 2017 and my hamstring just got ruined (AGAIN... same thing happened about 5 months earlier). So I decided to shut it down, finally listening to my body, although my condition continued to deteriorate. Two months later in mid March 2017 I hooked up with this woman (:hat :lol) and literally could not walk the next day. It was awful, and I was starting to get to a point where I COULD NOT remember what it was like to walk normal. I decided to finally get a MRI and saw the labrum tear (looked like a mass of tangled fishing line). My life has been completely devoted to getting my NORMAL back, every single day.

Don't let this be your life...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 09:11:10 AM »
I used to run when I was young.  By the time I hit my early twenties I developed a heart arrhythmia and running / jogging triggers it every time.  Its frustrating because I want to stay healthy and in shape but I can't do vigerous cardio vascular exercises without it being dangerous to me.  I also had to give up coffee and any other caffeinated drink as that would trigger heart palpitations too.
 I do get exercise at work since I'm a landscaper, but it's not the same as running. Jogging burns off the fat very quickly but I can't do that. So I've been battling weight gain as I'm in my forties now, but I'm still in ok shape managing to still fit into size 36 waist jeans, lol!  If I could run, I could go down to a 34 in no time.  Instead, I try to take my dog for a walk to the river almost every evening after work. 🐕
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2019, 06:20:07 PM »
Ran a 5k yesterday at a a local winery. Was great fun and got two glasses of wine at the finish line and a bottle to take home. It was an incredibly windy day though and one of the signposts got blown over so me and the group of 4 runners at the front accidentally took a shortcut! came in at 16:40... whoops!  :lol

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 06:21:21 PM »
Great stories guys. I love running! I've running since 2012, but I just took it seriously until 2016. I've run 4 half marathons, 1 marathon and a number of 5Ks and 10Ks. This years is going to be my 2nd marathon.

I'm 36 so I'm trying to reach my higher level before I hit 40. Right now I consider my self a good runner and I can't imagine my self not doing this anymore.

I love trail running but here in Mexico is not so easy to do because of crime and stuff like that, so my runs are almost exclusively in the city or running tracks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 11:54:40 PM »
I bought an elliptical machine a few weeks ago and I love it. My cardio has always been garbage, but now that its easy access at home, its getting better than ever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2019, 05:11:20 AM »
I could never run, but about a year and a half ago started and now running 4-5km in what I think is okay time.  Because I do a lot of weight work aswell, I always have tight sore legs, it's an ongoing problem and really affects my performance when I don't keep up with stretches and rolling.

As nattmorker said, I'm 34 and yeah want to try and get as fit as athletic as I can now.  I really enjoy the running and wish I could do it more.  I do a bit on the treadmill after my weights during the week, but the Sunday morning 5km run outside might just be my favourite part of the week.  Allows me to kind of eat whatever I want on the weekend too and maintain a decent physique.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2019, 05:50:27 AM »
A few years ago I got really concerned about my fitness, and started running and going to the gym. I was never too big on going to the gym, but I fell in love with running!

Fortunately the city I live in has a lot of great running tracks, so I bought a good pair of running shoes and just kept going. Tampere, the city I live in is sandwiched between two lakes, so last year I had this crazy idea to run around the smaller one! It was just about 30 KM (18,6 miles), and I did it in under five hours. As a former asthmatic I couldn't run the entire way, but after the trek I was feeling so good!

My goal for this year is to make it in 4 1/2 hours. My ultimate goal is to run a half marathon one day!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2019, 10:06:22 PM »
30Km!!  :eek

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 01:39:13 AM »
Stretching my legs was sheer torture the day after.. :lol Luckily I had a day off from work. But it was totally worth it, and I can't wait to do it again this year!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 04:17:44 PM »
Stretching my legs was sheer torture the day after.. :lol Luckily I had a day off from work. But it was totally worth it, and I can't wait to do it again this year!

You must have ate like a fucking king afterwards.  Could literally eat whatever you want and however much you want haha.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »
So, I did appreciate the great advice concerning the groin issue I was dealing with....but in typical fashion I ignored you all and just dealt with it while it worked itself out  :lol  I know I could benefit from seeking out a good physical therapist and really delving into some treatment.

My groin did heal up well enough to the point to where I now don't feel anything consistently bothering me...but I do notice it every now and then....but I think the method I've chosen...the 'ignoring it' method.....has done nothing but cause the irritation to immigrate to my right hip as that now barks at me from time to time.

I did run a 10k in February and the Trail Half in March.....and haven't missed any of my Sunday night Hockey games. Like I stated in my previous posts...the discomfort(s) aren't unbearable....just really noticeable and annoying but nothing that stops me from activity. So, I need to heed the advice and seek out a physical therapist to consult.

But I'm happy that the weather is turning as I'm looking to get back on the routine of running 4 or 5 days a week. It was a fun winter of eating and I captured a couple extra pounds so I've been watching the diet and have dropped a few pounds with my sights on dropping a few more. I'm not a tall dude....5'-7"....and my 'typical' weight is in the 165-170 range. I had gotten up to 191 over the winter but am now at 181, with spring hitting and my focus set I'm confident I'll get back down to 'playing weight' in the next month or two.

I've noticed more and more as I age wheras in the past I could counteract my poor diet choices with my running regiment....that my running regiment no longer can stave off the poor choices I make in my diet....so, I guess I'm at that age now (43) where my diet is going to become more important than my exercise regiment.