Author Topic: Counting down Neal Morse's best 25 albums!!!!  (Read 10464 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Counting down Neal Morse's best 25 albums!!!!
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2019, 08:30:45 AM »
Shhhhhhhhhhhh! ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2019, 08:38:29 AM »
02. The Similitude of a Dream

This was tough to not put at number 1, and really it is like 1b.  The hype this album got pre-release was off the charts, aided by Mike Portnoy really talking it up, and my worry was that it wouldn't come close to matching the hype, but it not only cleared the bar, it did it with room to spare! 

Most double albums seem to have lags or down spots inevitably, as it is extremely difficult to keep the quality at a high level consistently over the course of two discs, but Similitude did the impossible.  It is a flawless record, in every way possible.  I am thrilled that I got to see this perform in full twice, one on the regular tour and then again at Morsefest in 2017.  To me, it was like seeing Dream Theater perform Scenes from a Memory back in 2000, as you could just tell that both the fans and the band knew that this was a really special album they were playing.  I have no doubt that the Neal Morse Band will continue to make very good/great records, for as long as they stay together as currently constructed, but I have zero expectations that they will ever top or even equal this record.  You can't top a once in a lifetime record.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2019, 09:00:30 AM »
This is the best one of The Neal Morse Band albums, but as much as I like it, I don't think I would even put it in top 10. There are a couple of snoozers in there, but for the most part, it's really good.

It's astounding that Neal can put out an album this "late" in his career and still have the fans single it out as one of the very best ones.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »
Such an amazing record, so many great songs on it. I haven't decided yet if TGA is better or not - right now they're pretty equal.

Favourites on this album are Makes No Sense, The Way Of A Fool, So Far Gone, Freedom Song, and The Mask.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2019, 06:03:28 PM »
I did a top 50 for Neal solo/NMB songs years ago (I think not long after the release of The Grand Experiment), and if I had to redo it now, I would probably include no less than 16 songs from Similitude.  That is how highly I think of the entire record.

Offline JPX

« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
Agreed, Similitude much like Scenes, is essentially perfect from start to finish.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: February 25, 2019, 12:44:45 AM »
I did a top 50 for Neal solo/NMB songs years ago (I think not long after the release of The Grand Experiment), and if I had to redo it now, I would probably include no less than 16 songs from Similitude.  That is how highly I think of the entire record.

I found it. I always enjoy your Top 50 songs threads, so this will be a fine read as a newish Neal Morse listener.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=46216.0

Offline DTA

« Reply #147 on: February 25, 2019, 05:19:33 AM »
Similitude is NMB's crowning achievement and they will likely never top it. TGA is really good, but it's never going to hit quite the same way as the first one.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: February 25, 2019, 09:45:48 AM »

I found it. I always enjoy your Top 50 songs threads, so this will be a fine read as a newish Neal Morse listener.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=46216.0

I suspect the list would be quite different today (of the ones in there that would still make the top 50). 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #149 on: February 25, 2019, 09:46:03 AM »
01. Bridge Across Forever

It was a tough call between this and Similitude for number 1, but ultimately I went with this because it has survived the test of time for a bit longer, plus it has Stranger in Your Soul, which is still the best song Neal has ever written (or co-written, depending on how much input the other members of TA had on this one).

Duel with the Devil
Suite Charlotte Pike
Bridge Across Forever
Stranger in Your Soul

Just looking at the track listing says it all.  Four magnificent compositions. 

The best Neal CD to date (IMO today, anyway ;) ). 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #150 on: February 25, 2019, 10:11:07 AM »
01. Bridge Across Forever

It was a tough call between this and Similitude for number 1, but ultimately I went with this because it has survived the test of time for a bit longer, plus it has Stranger in Your Soul, which is still the best song Neal has ever written (or co-written, depending on how much input the other members of TA had on this one).

Duel with the Devil
Suite Charlotte Pike
Bridge Across Forever
Stranger in Your Soul

Just looking at the track listing says it all.  Four magnificent compositions. 

The best Neal CD to date (IMO today, anyway ;) ).

Honestly, this might be my top Neal Morse album as well. It's easily my favorite Transatlantic album, and it has one of my favorite epics of all time "Stranger In Your Soul". Speaking of which, it was definitely not entirely written by Neal, as the part that Pete sings in the beginning (and Neal sings in the end, same melody, "I can hear it now..."). I believe some parts were also written by Roine, but it's been some years since I've watched the Making Of Bridge Across Forever DVD, but I remember that part about Pete's contributions.

It's really weird to listen to Neal's demo of SIYS, titled "Hanging In The Balance", and how there are so many parts not present in the demo that were in the final song, either brought in by other members or written during the sessions. It's an amazing amalgamation of the bands' talents!

Also, am I the only one that unfaded the ending of SCP and re-inserted the ending-jam that was a hidden track at the end of SIYS? I'm not sure why they decided to fade out SCP, the ending-jam really book-ends the song (since they left in the "Take 2" part at the beginning), and the sound-effects used afterwards flow really nicely into "Bridge Across Forever".

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #151 on: February 25, 2019, 10:24:42 AM »
Interesting list. I love how FANS' opinions on their favorite records can differ so much, and yet be similar at the same time. For instance, Similitude and Bridge would probably be in my top 3, at least top 5, yet SMPTe does NOTHING for me and would probably be last or close to it. Definitely my least favorite TA album. And then there's Lifeline, which gets last in your poll, but definitely would not be in mine. Middle of the road, for sure, but dead last? Not with The Way Home's melodies and the epics that are Lifeline and So Many Roads.

But good list, nonetheless. Tough to argue the top 2 spots.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #152 on: February 25, 2019, 11:21:25 AM »
Very interesting reading, I followed your countdown and it's was a fun reading. I'm not such an expert in Neal Morse's music. I've heard the 3 TNMB's albums, the 4 TA's, the 2 FC's, "?", "One" and "Life & Times".

I think I will continue with Sola Scriptura and Testimony. For what I've listened, my list would be:

14. Snow (This one almost did nothing for me)
13. V (At the end of the day is awesome, the rest is not bad I guess)
12. Life & Times
11. Kaleidoscope
10. One
9. SMTP:e
8. Bride Across Forever
7. Second Nature
6. Flying Colors
5. The Great Adventure
4. ?
3. The Grand Experiment
2. The Whirlwind
1. SOAD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #153 on: February 25, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »

Also, am I the only one that unfaded the ending of SCP and re-inserted the ending-jam that was a hidden track at the end of SIYS? I'm not sure why they decided to fade out SCP, the ending-jam really book-ends the song (since they left in the "Take 2" part at the beginning), and the sound-effects used afterwards flow really nicely into "Bridge Across Forever".

Honestly, I don't even consider that hidden track as part of the album anymore. I deleted it from my SIYS mp3 almost immediately at the time and never stick around for it when putting the actual CD in to play.  Those kind of hidden tracks are annoying 99% of the time (not clever). 

Interesting list. I love how FANS' opinions on their favorite records can differ so much, and yet be similar at the same time. For instance, Similitude and Bridge would probably be in my top 3, at least top 5, yet SMPTe does NOTHING for me and would probably be last or close to it. Definitely my least favorite TA album. And then there's Lifeline, which gets last in your poll, but definitely would not be in mine. Middle of the road, for sure, but dead last? Not with The Way Home's melodies and the epics that are Lifeline and So Many Roads.

Lifeline better than SMPTe? That is, um, interesting. :P

Very interesting reading, I followed your countdown and it's was a fun reading. I'm not such an expert in Neal Morse's music. I've heard the 3 TNMB's albums, the 4 TA's, the 2 FC's, "?", "One" and "Life & Times".

I think I will continue with Sola Scriptura and Testimony.

None of us are, really.  Some of us are just more-listened. ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #154 on: February 25, 2019, 11:47:02 AM »

Honestly, I don't even consider that hidden track as part of the album anymore. I deleted it from my SIYS mp3 almost immediately at the time and never stick around for it when putting the actual CD in to play.  Those kind of hidden tracks are annoying 99% of the time (not clever). 

That's a shame, I've actually hoped that the band would re-release the album, maybe remastered or remixed, and re-inserted the original ending back onto SCP, making it the full 17-minute epic. Ah well, guess I'll live with my edited version!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #155 on: February 25, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »
I sometimes feel like Duel and Suite overshadow Stranger a little bit, but it's still a good epic. And yeah, the album as a whole truly is great and worthy of number one.

Great thread, Kev, I enjoyed it quite a bit.  :tup

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #156 on: February 25, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
I put All of the Above just slightly ahead of Stranger in Your Soul, but BAF ahead of SMPTe.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #157 on: February 25, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »

Yeah, I know. But SMPTe does that little for me. All of the Above is pretty good, but So Many Roads is way better IMO. The lyrics speak to me more, for sure. Mystery Train and My New World are both okay at best (which, to be fair, Fly High and Leviathan are the same). The cover is and does nothing for me. That literally leaves We All Need Some Light, which is great, but definitely can't hold up a whole album against another one with Lifeline, The Way Home, and Children of the Chosen. So yeah, comparatively, for me, Lifeline is easily better than SMPT:e.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2019, 03:59:25 PM »
Good to see a lot of Neal fans enjoyed this thread. :tup :tup

Also, it is worth noting that 2112 has been my favorite song for 99.99999% of the time since 1992.  That other .00001% was occupied by Stranger in Your Soul for a brief spell in 2002 (before I mentally put 2112 back up top).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: February 25, 2019, 04:42:38 PM »
Kev, I don't know Neal outside of one great song he did with Ayreon. Didn't like what I've heard of Spock's Beard (got that's such a dumb name), never got in to TA, and never gave his solo work enough of a listen. I enjoy your musings on music though so followed this.

Also, 2112 has been my favorite song (favorite non-live studio album track anyway) from sometime also around the early 90s when I heard it for the first time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2019, 05:32:57 PM »

Yeah, I know. But SMPTe does that little for me. All of the Above is pretty good, but So Many Roads is way better IMO. The lyrics speak to me more, for sure. Mystery Train and My New World are both okay at best (which, to be fair, Fly High and Leviathan are the same). The cover is and does nothing for me. That literally leaves We All Need Some Light, which is great, but definitely can't hold up a whole album against another one with Lifeline, The Way Home, and Children of the Chosen. So yeah, comparatively, for me, Lifeline is easily better than SMPT:e.

You’re not alone, I feel the exact same way. Love me some Lifeline and def like it better than SMPT:e

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2019, 02:38:29 AM »
Since I'm really digging Life & Times - both the songs and the whole vibe of it - where to go next for a similar type of album? Songs From November?

Offline DTA

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:24 AM »
Since I'm really digging Life & Times - both the songs and the whole vibe of it - where to go next for a similar type of album? Songs From November?

Life & Times is a bit of an oddball in that it's pretty unique within his catalog. Songs From November is probably the closest equivalent, though I haven't heard some of his Christian ones. God Won't Give Up is also poppy but has religious lyrics which may not be your thing. I think it's fantastic and can tune out the lyrics.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2019, 06:09:21 AM »

Life & Times is a bit of an oddball in that it's pretty unique within his catalog. Songs From November is probably the closest equivalent, though I haven't heard some of his Christian ones. God Won't Give Up is also poppy but has religious lyrics which may not be your thing. I think it's fantastic and can tune out the lyrics.

DTA kinda nailed it, but I would also throw out there Songs From the Highway. Not as poppy or upbeat as L&T, but a very good acoustic album. My second favorite non-prog album by Neal, after Life & Times.
WELP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2019, 06:49:42 AM »
We all often talk about Neal often repeating himself, which is certainly the case. However, Life & times truly was one of a kind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2019, 07:13:09 AM »
True that. In fact, if you look at this last three proper solo albums - Momentum, Songs for November, and Life & Times - they are all pretty different from one another.  I think people get too stuck on separating his "prog" records from his other records, when in fact it is all Neal Morse.  It's like comments I have seen online about how the medley on the current tour covers all of the Neal Morse solo/NMB albums prior to The Grand Experiment, when, no, it actually doesn't.  It covers all of the prog albums.