Author Topic: Counting down Neal Morse's best 25 albums!!!!  (Read 10492 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Counting down Neal Morse's best 25 albums!!!!
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:38:15 PM »
Since I will be seeing the Neal Morse band on the 27th this month, I thought it would be fun to count down my favorite 25 records that Neal has done, meaning ones that he has played a huge role in (Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, solo work, Flying Colors and Neal Morse Band).

The Great Adventure will not be featured since it is too early to fairly rank in.

I spitballed this list in about five minutes, so this is more for fun and an excuse to talk about all of these albums, so feel free to chime in, disagree, agree, whatever, Neal fans!!

Here goes nothing...

25. Lifeline

A good record, but not one I revisit a lot.  The long epic, So Many Roads, is really the one song I listen to on any kind of regular basis, and even that is one that feels a bit too long (the middle part could have been shortened a little).  The title track is a good song, but is also one that is way too long.  There are a few other songs I would deem as pretty good, but nothing essential.  Seems like most Neal fans agree that this is his least best prog album ever, which I obviously concur with. This was the easy choice to put at 25.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:32:34 AM by KevShmev »

Offline DTA

Re: Counting down Neal Morse's best 25 albums!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 01:37:53 AM »
God’s Love is really the only low point on this one, but I agree it has sort of a “least-best” vibe to it compared to the rest of his stuff.  So Many Roads is on the weaker end of the spectrum of his epics too. Curious to see this list though, I’m guessing Bridge Across Forever, V, or Similitude as the number 1 spot.

Online Mladen

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 02:13:19 AM »
Yep, this is the one I would also put at the bottom of my list.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
I actually really like Lifeline. There’s a couple short songs that are just ok (and I can’t stand Leviathan) but overall it’s maybe in my top third of Neal stuff. But So Many Roads is my favorite of his epics possibly, so that song kind of carries the album for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 09:25:31 AM »
I actually really like Lifeline. There’s a couple short songs that are just ok (and I can’t stand Leviathan) but overall it’s maybe in my top third of Neal stuff. But So Many Roads is my favorite of his epics possibly, so that song kind of carries the album for me.

Good to see that I am not the only one who dislikes Leviathan.  I still can't believe that got played on multiple tours.

Yep, this is the one I would also put at the bottom of my list.

Smart man.  :coolio

Curious to see this list though, I’m guessing Bridge Across Forever, V, or Similitude as the number 1 spot.

Stay tuned!  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 09:31:34 AM »
24. Second Nature

The second album by Flying Colors is good, even really good at times, and there are certainly some standout tracks, but it's an album I have never really been able to wrap my arms fully around. Mask Machine is a catchy modern rock-sounding tune, Peaceful Harbor is a majestic prog wonderment, and One Love Forever is fun as heck, but even those are songs I rarely feel the need to revisit.  Oddly, Neal's proggy A Place in Your World, while being a solid tune, sounds like a song that wouldn't have been good enough to make one of his solo albums, and Neal's section in Cosmic Symphony brings the song down a little (Casey's parts, the first and third parts are great).  For whatever reason, while less than great Neal stuff is still pretty good, he and the band both seemed off their game a bit on this one, yet still gave us, what I would call, a good album. 

Online Mladen

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 11:17:41 AM »
I'm surprised to see this album so low, but then again, it was slightly underwhelming. I liked it at first but it didn't have too much staying power, most likely because it didn't differ a lot from other Neal's works. It was much more prog and less pop than the debut, which made the band not so special anymore.

Also, I just now realized that, not counting The Great adventure, Neal released 25 studio albums throughout his entire career. This isn't top 25, this is effectively all 25 ranked.  ;D

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 02:04:16 PM »
I bought both Flying Colors albums, but never really got into them despite trying.  The only song I occasionally go back to is the last one from Second Nature.

Offline DTA

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 05:33:31 AM »
I kind of always forget that FC exists when talking about Neal Morse albums. I definitely agree with SN being number 24 on this list, though I might even put it dead last in my own personal ranking. The first album blended pop/rock with a tiny bit of prog into an interesting and unique mix that felt fresh. Second Nature just feels a bit more forced and the privy moments feel shoehorned in. The repetition of the into theme of Open Up Your Eyes drives me nuts. They do the same shit in TA’s Kakeidoscope album epics and it’s purely to make the running time longer for whatever reason. Peaceful Harbor and A Place In Your World are excellent and Cosmic Symphony has cool moments too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 07:31:36 AM »

Also, I just now realized that, not counting The Great adventure, Neal released 25 studio albums throughout his entire career. This isn't top 25, this is effectively all 25 ranked.  ;D

Exactly.  :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2019, 07:36:20 AM »
23. Life & Times

A nice little record that Neal released nearly a year ago, nothing on this record wows me, but most of it I enjoy quite a bit.  Manchester by the Sea, Good Love Is on the Way, Old Alabama and Selfie in the Square are my favorites, as as well as He Died at Home, which is one of the most interesting and crushing songs Neal has ever written.  This is on of those "chilling on a Sunday afternoon" kinda records.  Not one that will wow you, like his prog albums, but a very enjoyable catchy record.  I dig it.

Offline DTA

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 08:01:52 AM »
Life & Times is probably my favorite of his solo non-prog releases. Livin’ Lightly and Old Alabama are the only weak spots for me but Lay Low, She’s Changed Her Mind, and You + Me + Everything are some of my top tracks throughout his entire catalog of pop songs. Great album. I think I’d rank this higher than a lot of his prog-releases also.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 08:10:35 AM »
Livin' Lightly has a nice vibe musically, but I think it would have been better suited in the middle of the album, as it comes off as a kind of a bland opening track.  I do like She's Changed Her Mind quite a bit; I guess I overlooked that one in my write-up.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 08:15:31 AM »
A question: Aside from TNMB, Transatlantic, and Flying Colors, I haven't heard any of his solo stuff. Are they somewhat similar in sound and style to the previously mentioned bands?

Since I really like The Neal Morse Band I thought I would check out his solo albums but don't know where to start.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 08:28:00 AM »
A question: Aside from TNMB, Transatlantic, and Flying Colors, I haven't heard any of his solo stuff. Are they somewhat similar in sound and style to the previously mentioned bands?

Since I really like The Neal Morse Band I thought I would check out his solo albums but don't know where to start.

The solo prog albums are similar to the Neal Morse Band, except that they don't have Eric and Bill, and Neal handles most of the electric guitar work, except for when he had guest soloists like Roine Stolt, Steve Hackett, Paul Gilbert, Kerry Livgren, etc.  Opinions will always vary, but it seems like One, ? and Sola Scriptura are his most well-loved solo prog albums (and are all single albums, so easier to digest).

As for his solo non-prog albums, stay tuned to this thread to see which one I would recommend first (anyone who has seen me talk about it will know which one I will rank the highest). ;)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »

Online Mladen

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »
Life & Times was my soundtrack for 2017, it's such a lovely album. I would definitely place it much higher. I'm surprised It's not too late will be ranked above it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
Life & Times was my soundtrack for 2017, it's such a lovely album. I would definitely place it much higher. I'm surprised It's not too late will be ranked above it.

Not to spoil stuff too quickly, but while I think they are similar in quality, It's Not Too Late has slightly higher highs (I will touch more on that when I feature that record).

:tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »
22. It's Not Too Late

Yep,I like this one slightly more than Life & Times.  The Wind and the Rain is a tremendous song (listen to this on a rainy day and tell me otherwise), and songs like I Am Your Father, So Long Goodbye Blues and The Change are very nice as well. It does have a few misses in the second half, and the sound quality is a tad off at times for some reason (it doesn't sound bad, just not as good as usual), but this is still quite enjoyable.

Offline DTA

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2019, 10:50:25 AM »
It's Not Too Late is a good album, but I probably would've cut a few songs to make a more concise, strong collection (Broken Home and The Eyes Of The World and possibly Leah), but the quality is still really high throughout. I love All The Young Girls Cry, The Change, So Long Goodbye Blues, and I Am Your Father also. I think Neal plagiarized himself by reusing the same melody from Something Blue in Outside Looking In.

Online Mladen

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
My favorites on this one are Oh Angie and The Eyes of the word. However, the album as a whole really drags and it's a chore to listen to. If I made a list, I think only Lifeline would be below it.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2019, 06:21:35 PM »
I’ve yet to get Life and Times. Didn’t love Songs From November so I skipped it. Haven’t heard it’s not too late in ages. Maybe it’s time to revisit the singer songwriter stuff and get Life and Times...

Nows the time because I stopped listening to the Great Adventure a couple days ago (want it to be fresh ish when I see it in a few weeks).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
I think Neal plagiarized himself by reusing the same melody from Something Blue in Outside Looking In.

I can't believe Neal Morse would reuse one of his own melodies...:lol ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:44 AM »
21. Kaleidoscope

Similar to Second Nature, this album is loaded with good melodies and whatnot, but for some reason, which I cannot put my finger on, it doesn't quite come together.  I probably listen to the shorter songs from this more than the epics, neither of which I ever listen to anymore, and even the short ones, I rarely visit these days.  It's definitely a good record, but considering the quality of the first three TA albums and how well each has held up, this one was hard to not think of as disappointing.

Offline DTA

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 06:26:42 AM »
I think Neal plagiarized himself by reusing the same melody from Something Blue in Outside Looking In.

I can't believe Neal Morse would reuse one of his own melodies...:lol ;)

I'm not sure I've noticed any outright repetition that isn't within a conceptual recycling of themes, but this one stood out as it's identical. Maybe he realized it was wasted on the backend of a solo album nobody really listens to and decided to reuse it, or maybe he didn't even realize it (more likely imo)

Offline DTA

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 06:33:47 AM »
21. Kaleidoscope

Similar to Second Nature, this album is loaded with good melodies and whatnot, but for some reason, which I cannot put my finger on, it doesn't quite come together.  I probably listen to the shorter songs from this more than the epics, neither of which I ever listen to anymore, and even the short ones, I rarely visit these days.  It's definitely a good record, but considering the quality of the first three TA albums and how well each has held up, this one was hard to not think of as disappointing.

I agree with you about the epics, I think they're pretty weak. SO MUCH REPETITION to create a longer song rather than inserting new parts. That's the biggest downside with MP's "write an album in a week" format. He's obsessed with creating long songs but since there's a time-crunch, it winds up being repetition that creates the length.

I honestly hope they don't keep reviving TA to create albums like this. SMPTe and BAF were legendary; The Whirlwind was a good exciting return after a long hiatus. But Kaleidoscope just feels like them going through the motions. If they decide never to make another album and maybe just tour every few years, I think that would be good. Plus, Roine is devoid of ideas and I can't imagine Pete is brimming with ideas that he wouldn't rather use in Marillion.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2019, 06:44:08 AM »
Black As The Sky is easily my favourite from this album.

Online Mladen

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 07:47:15 AM »
I've only recently become aware that this album in fact didn't age too well. I was never crazy about the shorter songs. The title track was a huge favorite of mine back in the day, but it really is Transatlantic by numbers. Into the blue, however, is more original and daring, but it's still not as memorable. As a whole, the album is solid, but not a favorite of mine neither.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 07:53:09 AM »
I strongly disagree with the placement of Kaleidoscope, but that's my opinion. Special albums are able to take you back to a special place in time and this album does that for me. I was able to see this tour twice within a few weeks. Once at the Keswick Theater and then at PNAS.
After boarding the ship in Miami and settling in, I got a chance to chat with Neal before we set sail. He thanked me for supporting them both at the Keswick (over the years. He said that was a very special venue for him) and then on the cruise. I mentioned how hot it was on the deck by the stage and reminded him not to forget his sun screen! He smiled and said how very wise that was!
Transatlantic took the stage as we sailed out and I will never forget the sun on my face as they played "into the blue" and my pure joy as I started one of the best weeks of my life! Based on that memory, my list would place this album up near the top!

Offline busty sinclair

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:28 AM »
yeah i'm a HUGE fan of kaleidoscope as well especially the epics

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2019, 09:03:53 AM »

I completely agree.  There is some really good stuff on the album.  But for reasons that are hard to articulate, it just fall far short of the first three.  And I agree with Zydar about the favorite song.

Going back to Lifeline, I largely agree with the description of that one as well.  I can't even tell you the last time I listened to it.  As for the individual songs, I know Leviathan really well because he has played it so frequently and it has ALWAYS been one of the few Neal songs I do not like at all.  I don't even really recall how any of the other songs go, aside from the odd line or two here and there.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
I really like Kaleidoscope and think it works best when I listen to the whole of it. I think I have a special appreciation because I've only seen Transatlantic once and it was during this tour. One of my favorite shows ever.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2019, 12:43:21 PM »
I honestly hope they don't keep reviving TA to create albums like this. SMPTe and BAF were legendary; The Whirlwind was a good exciting return after a long hiatus. But Kaleidoscope just feels like them going through the motions. If they decide never to make another album and maybe just tour every few years, I think that would be good. Plus, Roine is devoid of ideas and I can't imagine Pete is brimming with ideas that he wouldn't rather use in Marillion.

Agreed.  Many keep clamoring for more Transatlantic, but the Neal Morse Band is kicking ass as is and I would rather Neal save all of his best prog stuff for that.  Like I said before, Kaleidoscope is a good album, but it definitely has that "I guess it is time for us to make an album, so here ya go" feel to it. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2019, 03:16:31 PM »

Agreed.  Many keep clamoring for more Transatlantic, but the Neal Morse Band is kicking ass as is and I would rather Neal save all of his best prog stuff for that.  Like I said before, Kaleidoscope is a good album, but it definitely has that "I guess it is time for us to make an album, so here ya go" feel to it.

I can sort of get that vibe, but it doesn't change my mind that I think Kaleidoscope is a fantastic album. Granted, it still ranks 4th in my TA Album ranking, but it's not a huge drop off from the other three. In fact, in the last 5 years since its release, I've probably listened to it more than the first two, which I probably burned myself out on in the preceding decade or so since discovering Transatlantic. I also probably burned myself out on The Whirlwind, which is probably my favorite, but I've laid off of it for awhile, so as a refresher, I still put on Kaleidoscope every now and then. It's still different and fresh enough to me to stand apart of together with their other three albums. They all have their own unique character traits and I love them all for that!

As for a fifth album, I definitely do NOT want them to do one "out of obligation", so if it means waiting another 2 or 3 years til they hit the studio again (or one last time), I'd be patient.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 03:51:06 PM »
I wouldn't say it is a "huge" dropoff.  But I wouldn't say it is an insignificant one either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."