Author Topic: Kanye  (Read 199 times)

Offline Harmony

Kanye
« on: June 02, 2019, 02:22:34 PM »
I'm debating with myself on where to post this.  So if bosk you think it needs to be moved, feel free.

I watched David Letterman's interview of Kanye West last night.  I should caveat this post by stating honestly that I am not a fan of KW and do not own any of his music, nor could I probably pick his music out of a lineup of rap songs.  I would say that I dislike him, but since I am so unfamiliar with his music and his 'hype' - outside of his bad manners at the Grammy's so long ago - I mostly just don't think about him much (at all).  So I was very ambivalent to even watch the interview.  But I like Letterman, so I watched it.

I came away from the interview feeling very sorry for Kanye but even sorrier for his kids.  I just think the guy is very mentally ill with his currently untreated bipolar disorder.  He seems to be trying to embrace the metaphysical aspects of healing - light, music, art - but he is so obviously wrapped up in his own ego and need to feel worshipped that I cannot help but think this guy is heading for the hospital soon.

He also fancies himself a victim and seemed to want to position himself squarely in this purview several times throughout which pretty much flied in the face of his stated desire to empower people with mental health issues and destigmatize them.  I felt he contradicted himself a lot in the interview actually.  In his favor - I will say that I did admire him when he made it clear that he thought the use of psych medication can be beneficial for people.  So he's not pretending like his methods would work for everyone.  But he has to realize that his methods will be emulated if for no other reason than he's a big star and people want to be like him.

Letterman got a tour of his home which I found oddly stark and white and linear.  Not at all what I expected.  His clothing collection I found quite intriguing.  He's got a lot of talent here, IMO, and while his clothing line isn't for me (and I'm not sure it was for Letterman!) I can most certainly see the appeal.  $1K for a pair of sneakers though?   :o

I think where he really lost me was when they were filming his Sunday morning 'worship' service which appeared to be pretty much a 'worship Kanye' session.  Some of his freeform rap got pretty darn close to word salad-like.  It was very strange.  Even stranger still to see not only Kim and the kids there, but Kris Jenner as well.  Hanging onto every word like it was the gospel itself.

Anyway, this isn't just meant to be a review of the interview.  It just got me thinking about how people can use mental illness to harness their creativity but often walk a razor thin line of falling into the trap of illness that he described of thinking literally every person is out to harm you and being crippled by fear, paranoia, and insecurity.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: Kanye
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16:02 AM »
It just got me thinking about how people can use mental illness to harness their creativity but often walk a razor thin line of falling into the trap of illness that he described of thinking literally every person is out to harm you and being crippled by fear, paranoia, and insecurity.

If it matters to you, I am fascinated by this as well.  There's another thread here somewhere about meeting celebrities (musicians, mainly) and I love doing that not because I'm a fanboy or a stalker, but because I think it's fascinating and illuminating to see and interact with people when the barriers/filters at least have a chance to fall away.  There are countless people that have sacrificed their mental health for their creative muse (some, like Cobain, paying the ultimate price).  In a slightly tangential way, we're watching someone - Howard Stern - publicly come to grips with this now (in the wake of his recent book release). 

Offline Harmony

Re: Kanye
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »
I think what I'm struggling with - and normally like I said, I never even think about Kanye in ANY way - is the notion that a person's mental health issue is literally being used by the people around the artist for fame and money.  Kanye even said something like [paraphrase] "Fans need to understand what's needed to produce crazy art.  There's a good chance it's coming from a crazy person."

Honestly, I don't think the fans or the managers or the record execs really care about his mental health.  They'll just use it to their own ends.  I think that's sad.  Obviously he's an adult and one assumes, competent.  And he's certainly not the only one - Carrie Fisher wrote extensively about her struggles with mental illness.  He may even be using it consciously.  But when he becomes manic, his judgment cannot be reliable to be in his own interests.  I have a relative who is possibly undiagnosed bipolar and she tells me when she's manic she gets shit done.  FAST.  But the crash afterward is debilitating.  Anyway, maybe that's where Kim comes in.  Who knows?  I just walked away from the interview feeling bad for him and his family and hoping that he'll get some real legit help before he winds back up in the hospital.

Oh and what he said about his last hospitalization and being forced to be restrained and alone at the height of his paranoia and fear was very poignant.  We take someone at their most vulnerable and tell them they can't have contact with any family member who can help ease their fears while we restrict them and medicate them?  Sounds like a form of torture to me.