Author Topic: Paris 2002  (Read 1499 times)

Offline samzam23

Paris 2002
« on: January 29, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »
Ok guys so I'm new around here and I only got into DT as of late but I have to say that I'm fn loving it! The question I have is: does anyone know where I can listen to the October 23rd 2002 show in Paris? I believe it has the only modern rendition of 'Your Majesty' and I'm dying to hear it. So far I haven't found it anywhere and I thought you guys could help. Thanks a lot!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Paris 2002
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 01:41:44 PM »
Unfortunately, there is not an official release available commercially, so there is no legal way to get it.  The initial limited edition of the book, Lifting Shadows, included a CD that had Your Majesty from that show.  If you can find a copy of the book on Ebay or something, that is the only way.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline samzam23

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
And do you know if any bootleg of that show exists?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 02:40:25 PM »
None that can legally be traded. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:02:30 PM »
Not to sound ungrateful, but I gotta say that CD is rather disappointing.  When I first got Lifting Shadows, I looked through the "Images" book and read the "Words" volume and then stuck it on the shelf for a long time, but I don't think I noticed the CD was there until a year or two ago when I saw a reference to it here or at the old MP forums.  I said, "hey, I've got the first edition of LS, but I don't remember any CD."

Two songs from "The Majesty Demos" that are fairly widely available (Another Won and Two Far).

A radio remix of Status Seeker.

A reject from FII (Don't Look Past Me) with JLB vocals added after the fact.  This would be cool if this were a better song.

A live version of my least favorite song from I&W (Under a Glass Moon), which isn't on the Live at the Marquee CD, but which I think is on the DVD.

A killer version of Caught in the Web done live for Bruce Dickinson's radio show (best thing on the CD).

You or Me (which is widely available and vastly inferior to You Not Me that made it onto FII).

A live outtake of Burning My Soul (this isn't bad, but it's not high on my list of favorite songs).

A REALLY long and boring version of Through Her Eyes, which is available over the ending credits on the LSFNY DVD.

The aforementioned version of Your Majesty, which IMO is nothing special.

The WDADRu version of Metropolis Part 1 (the full concert is available on YouTube).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:46:33 AM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 04:50:53 PM »
Not the best compilation CD especially since I had about half or more of those songs already but as a bonus to something I would have bought even without it? Awesome.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »
Honestly, I haven't heard the Lifting Shadows version of Your Majesty, but it MUST have rerecorded vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »
Honestly, I haven't heard the Lifting Shadows version of Your Majesty, but it MUST have rerecorded vocals.

AFAIK it doesn't. And it's not the best haha
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 08:41:38 PM »

I just listened to it, and I doubt it. The vocals, of what I can hear from being buried under the guitar and other instruments, aren't that great-sounding. If they wanted to make it sound good, it would not have sounded like this. And I doubt they knew before hand that this song would be released on a special disc that came with a biography, so there probably wasn't much done to the track after the fact. Sounds pretty raw and live to me, with no re-recorded parts or over-dubs (because, really, why would they? It was a one-off performance anyway).

The best thing about this set, IMO, are the live outtakes from LATM and OIALT, both of which helped me fill-in my complete-show versions of those concerts. I have to wonder, though, if the vocals on UAGM were re-recorded like most of the other vocals on LATM? Either way, with 9 songs, it's still not a full show, but it's a pretty good chunk of it! Still missing Ytse Jam (w/Drum Solo), Take The Time, and the WFS/LTL encore. At least we have the killer NYC show from that tour, complete and with ACOS!

-Marc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »
I just listened to it, and I doubt it. The vocals, of what I can hear from being buried under the guitar and other instruments, aren't that great-sounding. If they wanted to make it sound good, it would not have sounded like this. And I doubt they knew before hand that this song would be released on a special disc that came with a biography, so there probably wasn't much done to the track after the fact. Sounds pretty raw and live to me, with no re-recorded parts or over-dubs (because, really, why would they? It was a one-off performance anyway).
I'd be willing to bet that it came from MP's 2-track DAT recording of the show, since he taped every show that way. And honestly, I don't know how much time they took before hand to prepare for the song. I know JL had a lyric sheet, and I'm sure JR had transcribed the keys. The rest of the guys were probably able to run thru the song a few times during soundcheck to nail it down.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 08:37:37 PM »
Not to sound ungrateful, but I gotta say that CD is rather disappointing.  When I first got Lifting Shadows, I looked through the "Images" book and read the "Words" volume and then stuck it on the shelf for a long time, but I don't think I noticed the CD was there until a year or two ago when I saw a reference to it here or at the old MP forums.  I said, "hey, I've got the first edition of LS, but I don't remember any CD."

Two songs from "The Majesty Demos" that are fairly widely available (Another Won and Two Far).

A radio remix of Status Seeker.

A reject from FII (Don't Look Past Me) with JLB vocals added after the fact.  This would be cool if this were a better song.
A live version of my least favorite song from I&W (Under a Glass Moon), which isn't on the Live at the Marquee CD, but which I think is on the DVD.

A killer version of Caught in the Web done live for Bruce Dickinson's radio show (best thing on the CD).

You or Me (which is widely available and vastly inferior to You Not Me that made it onto FII).

A live outtake of Burning My Soul (this isn't bad, but it's not high on my list of favorite songs).

A REALLY long and boring version of Through Her Eyes, which is available over the ending credits on the LSFNY DVD.

The aforementioned version of Your Majesty, which IMO is nothing special.

The WDADRu version of Metropolis Part 1 (the full concert is available on YouTube).

Couldn't disagree more with almost all of the above, especially with the comments which I've bolded.  I hotly object!! But hey, to each their own (opinion).  :P

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 08:43:02 PM »

It's cool they played a rare song, but that version isn't that great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 09:02:10 PM »

It's cool they played a rare song, but that version isn't that great.

James is flat most of the time on that version, but that's not his fault, the song was written for a very different singer / vocal range.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."