Author Topic: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results  (Read 71904 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
???: ___ ________ - Q_ ___ ___ Q_ _ _qq____
???: _qq__q__q_ - __________

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Well, there it is

Puppies: Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yep :lol

TAC: ___ ___i____ - O_ ___ ___ o_ _ _oo____
Puppies: Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet

Letters guessed: ZQOI

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
The Reticent - On the Eve of a Goodbye

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Moonsorrow huh..

I may steer clear of harsh vocals in the finals. I never seem to pick the right ones.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
you say, sending The Reticent
would not know how moonsorrow pans out for Puppies, it's heavier than primordial for sure & almost entirely harsh vocals I think? where as primordial is mostly cleans with an edge to them sometimes. folky black-ish metal stuff all the same

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Primordial won me over because of how epic the vocals were.

I haven't listened to anything yet, just got back from the Avantasia show. I'll start listening tomorrow, first results on Tuesday I think.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
First round is closer than I thought it would be. Last listen to both of the albums, and then I'll do the results, should be up in about four hours.

Get your next albums ready.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Puppies_On_Acid: Moonsorrow - Verisäkeet

I expected this to be a badly produced black metal, like I usually do, but instead this is a pretty fun record with a different folk themes under the guitar lines and relentless growls. This reminds of me a more laid back Ensiferum, except it's not really laid back for too often, is it? I distinctintly remember the moments where blast beats kick in, and sometimes the singer is just mindlessly screaming things, but whenever the music is back up by a folk melody, preferably played on string instruments, I enjoy it. Needless to say, my favourite moments are actually acoustic ones, but there is a lot of good heavier stuff too—Haaska is probably my favourite in that regard with that angry screaming chorus.

What I didn't enjoy is that the album blurs together for me. Probably four listens isn't enough—especially since I fell asleep during my second listen on Monday morning commute—but the fact is there are only five songs, and four of them have at least few different sections. In the middle of Pimea I feel I'm already tired of the record a bit, and that's only 35 minutes in. The acoustic sections draw my attention back, but it's difficult to stay alert until the very end of Jotunheim, when acoustic Kaiku finally kicks in. I guess some transitions could also be better, and I wish they added more cleans to the music—perhaps I'm just oversaturated with growls because of this roulette, but I think some songs needed some more cleans to go along with acoustic sections, perhaps.

All in all, surprisingly, I liked it. This album does an admirable job of creating the epic atmosphere laced with folk melodies and pours a heavy dose of growls all over it, and it keeps doing that for the whole 70 minutes (well, maybe excluding the last track). I never wanted to skip any of it, and while my attention may have wandered in the second half a few times, this was enjoyable enough that I may return to this album in the future.

7/10

TAC: The Reticent - On the Eve of a Goodbye

I expected this to be polished prog metal concept album—speaking of which, I remember you said you were saving Daydream XI for this round too, do you just plan send concept albums until you win?—but this is, in fact, a bit raw and yet very technical in places, and these growls are even more aggressive than on Moonsorrow. This album keeps a good balance between cleans and growls, in my opinion, showcasing it early with The Girl Broken. I'm a bit disappointed this isn't a full-cleans concept album like Mercy Falls or The Old Man and the Spirit, but this still kept my curiosity peaked—although, like with Moonsorrow, I fell asleep during my third listen on my Monday evening commute. I really should just sleep more, guys.

Once again, I feel the album reaches its peaks with quiet and atmospheric sections, and I like the singer (is there one or more?) when he's not trying to be technical or cookie monster, but when he's singing emotionally, whether in the beginning of the album ("and I dutifully wait" on The Hypocrite, I think?) or in the grand climax ("you don't have to do this" on The Decision). But I mostly—mostly—like the contrast between softer and heavier sections, although I must say, sometimes it's a bit overdone (The Postscript is a song I outright dislike). I like sudden appearances of instruments like a freaking saxophone on The Confrontation, too. There's a lot I like, actually. I think the whole ending from 2 Hours Left to the end is pretty brilliant.

What can I say, man, I'm a sucker for concept albums. Even with one song and a few other sections I don't like, this was more interesting than Moonsorrow. This is ambitious and mostly well done, and I will definitely return to this album in the future, I think it will happen pretty soon too. I don't think I can take too much of prog metal like that—it's definitely too heavy in some places for my tastes—but when they go emotional, or when they strike that perfect balance between cleans and growls, this is when this album shines. In fact after four listens I'm surprised how much I like it, and I think it may grow on me even more.

8/10 (closer to 7.75, but eh, let's call it an eight)

TAC 1 : 0 Puppies

Send your second albums!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Nice. That's a great album. I'm glad you liked it.  I sent it to Puppies in his roulette too.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I've been spinning that Reticent album recently and it's not that heavy, even at its loudest moments, imo :P I dig the heavier/more jagged stuff in the back half though

Corn

• DTF.org Member
If I had to lose with Moonsorrow, I'm glad it was against The Reticent. That's a nearly 10/10 album for me.

Your assessment is pretty fair concerning Verisakeet. I was afraid the score may suffer because of how long it is. It definitely took me way more than 4 listens to consider it my second favorite album of all time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
What's #1?
Or is that a spoiler for the next round

• DTF.org Member
What's #1?
Or is that a spoiler for the next round
Number 1 is Marillion - Marbles. Marillion is on his banned list unfortunately.  :yeahright
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
By the way I sent.

Congrats on winning Evermind's Roulette TAC!  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Huh, that's interesting  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
By the way I sent.

Congrats on winning Evermind's Roulette TAC!  :corn

I don't think so. I expect to be tortured the shit out of. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, and Evermind, get a good night's sleep before the next round! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm fairly sure I already know the winner after one listen, but meanwhile, here's what was sent. Results likely tomorrow or maybe even later today.

TAC: Farmakon - A Warm Glimpse
Puppies: Jeff Buckley - Grace

• DTF.org Member
Congrats TAC! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Congrats Pup!  :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
The confidence our finalists exude is overwhelming. :neverusethis:

Clearly, my submissions would've kicked both your asses.  Damn Eurythmics!!!  Should've gone with Bonnie Tyler.  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Yeah I sampled that Farmakon album and I actually kinda dig it so I'm pretty sure that means ev hates it

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah I sampled that Farmakon album and I actually kinda dig it so I'm pretty sure that means ev hates it

You, my friend, are correct.

I'm going with the shorter writeups to keep the pace here, and I'm skipping the fourth listen for these two, but I'm entirely sure which album is the winner here, and I know it's not going to change with one more listen.

TAC: Farmakon - A Warm Glimpse

This album feels like a shallow copy of The Reticent in a sense they're also trying to be technical prog, they're also alternating cleans with growls, except the emotional bits aren't there, and the transitions honestly feel like the songwriters were going "oh hey, let's fuck with the listeners and go into a complete different direction without any build-up" for 90% of the time. I can't even count the amount of times I was like "the hell?" during this record. The problem with the clean vocals here is that I also don't quite like them, and therefore the only parts I'm enjoying are the climactic heavier moments and the guitar solos when they give them time to breathe and not simply doing a groovy lick or two with the cymbals beneath it. Flowgrasp is a good example of a good guitar solo in the song, and Pearl of My Suffering is a good example of a heavier moments working on that record, but beyond that, I'm thoroughly unimpressed. To be honest, I've listened to this for exactly two and a half times (third time was going over my favourites from the record), and I already know this album doesn't hold a candle to the other one in this round.

I feel like this one have some potential to grow, considering some good sections here and there, but I doubt I will return to it in the future—my impression from the first two listens is not that positive.

4.5/10

Puppies_On_Acid: Jeff Buckley - Grace

I only knew Hallelujah from this album before you sent it to me, and I have exactly one question: why the hell is Hallelujah, of all songs, is the hit here? Because as much as I'm used to it, and kinda like it (at least the verses), this album easily has three or four songs I like more. This is becoming a trend, but my favourite moments on this album are the quiet ones—and thankfully, there's a lot of them indeed. I don't like the ending of Mojo Pin, or the rocking Eternal Life, but when we're talking the title track (which should've been a damn hit instead of Hallelujah), or Lilac Wine, or Last Goodbye, or Lover..., I'm all over this record, mostly. I think this is a good example of a subtle rock record that has excellent songwriting for most of the time, laid back yet intense when needed. In fact, the run from the second to the seventh track is pretty phenomenal, I think.

This album also feels to me like it's got more to offer than I was able to get from it after three listens, but unlike Farmakon, this one is actually the one I will return to. This has a lot of acoustic stuff that's up my alley, and unlike some of the older stuff Chad and Stadler sent me, I feel a connection there. This might be something I didn't know I was looking for. It is very good in some places, mediocre here and there, but overall it amounts to good in my book. I'm looking forward to explore this album further once this is over. And actually yes, I think this is better than Moonsorrow, too.

7.5/10

TAC 1 : 1 Puppies

Alright folks, I thought TAC would have this in the bag after The Reticent but I guess not. Bring on your last albums and let's finish this.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:37:36 PM by Evermind »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Ok. I’ll send something tonight.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
It'd better be something like The Reticent and not like Farmakon. :biggrin:

The Reticent is awesome though. I keep returning to it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Didn't see that coming.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

• DTF.org Member
Woohoo! I didn't get swept!

I'll look at my options and send something within the next few hours.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
OK, so I sent. I really wanted to send Vektor - Terminal Redux, but wasn't sure Evermind would like it. So I sent something else. We will see if I made the right choice soon enough.... :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid