Author Topic: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results  (Read 71926 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Thankfully I've got a couple of days to figure out a band for greatest hits. I'm literally racking no my brain trying to think of an act I have with more than a few albums that isn't banned. I might have to look back to the days before you were born.

You are a lucky fucking DOG!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Jeez, 30 minutes of music from the same band across 3 albums.  Now that is a challenge.

Considering the banned list, no fucking shit. I've probably got a dozen or so non-banned artists I could've considered  ... but they've only had 2 albums.  :facepalm:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think it may have something to do with my original dislike of growls, and I think Children of Bodom was pretty much the first band with harsh vocals I was introduced to, and well, when I say "introduced to", I mean I've listened to a song or two about ten or twelve years ago, don't even remember what songs they were.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I already had the image of the band in my head, and this song actually sounded pretty much as I expected it to sound, confirming this not quite favourable impression of the band I had.

So sending a Growlie Greatest Hits might be risky..?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I think it may have something to do with my original dislike of growls, and I think Children of Bodom was pretty much the first band with harsh vocals I was introduced to, and well, when I say "introduced to", I mean I've listened to a song or two about ten or twelve years ago, don't even remember what songs they were.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I already had the image of the band in my head, and this song actually sounded pretty much as I expected it to sound, confirming this not quite favourable impression of the band I had.

I wouldn't say so. I can't think of any bands beyond CoB and Manowar that I have preconceived notions about.

Although if it's 40 minutes of nothing but growls, it may turn out to be a bad idea. I honestly don't know. Depends on the music I guess.

Jeez, 30 minutes of music from the same band across 3 albums.  Now that is a challenge.

Considering the banned list, no fucking shit. I've probably got a dozen or so non-banned artists I could've considered  ... but they've only had 2 albums.  :facepalm:

Well, Puppies' banned list was also pretty huge and everyone managed. I'm sure there is at least one good band you guys can dig for this one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah, digging around a bit this morning, and it seems I've got a good number of options.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Beyond the veil of dreams (Round 7 Results)
« Reply #1020 on: March 31, 2019, 07:42:38 AM »
All three songs are in, going to listen to them now and then a few more times later in the day. Results coming in the evening, the rest of you folks, get your Greatest Hits compilations ready.

Have a hangman btw:

senecadawg2: __________ _____ ___ - _______o_
Indiscipline: M______ M___'_ _____ ____ - ______o__
Kattelox: ____ ___o - _o_o_ _____

Letters guessed: MO

Luoto waits 2
Bolsters waits 3

Gimme moR! *heavy devy riff*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: March 31, 2019, 07:46:47 AM »
senecadawg2: ____r_tt__ ____r ___ - _____t_o_
Indiscipline: M___r__ M___'_ __rt_ ____ - ____t_o__
Kattelox: _r__ ___o - _o_or _____

Letters guessed: MORT

Bolsters waits 1
Kattelox waits 2
TAC waits 3

How's the new Devin btw? Haven't had the time to listen yet.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 07:59:21 AM by Evermind »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
T

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1023 on: March 31, 2019, 08:01:56 AM »
How's the new Devin btw? Haven't had the time to listen yet.

I don't know! :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I wouldn't say so. I can't think of any bands beyond CoB and Manowar that I have preconceived notions about.

Although if it's 40 minutes of nothing but growls, it may turn out to be a bad idea. I honestly don't know. Depends on the music I guess.

Hmm..

I have a Growlie Greatest Hits and a Clean Greatest Hits. The Growlie GH has much better music IMO. I think you'll like both, but I'm not sure the Clean one will stand out in the group..

Can I use my Wild Card?? ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Sent for the Greatest Hits Round!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent for the Greatest Hits Round!!

As one of your Greatest Hits is literally the same song you sent me in Round 2, I'm afraid you'll have to come up with something else.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
A

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: March 31, 2019, 10:24:19 AM »
senecadawg2: ___ar_tt__ A___r ___ - A____t_o_
Indiscipline: Ma__r__ Ma__'_ _art_ _a__ - ____t_o__
Kattelox: Ar__ ___o - _o_or _____

Letters guessed: MORTA

Kattelox waits 1
TAC waits 2
Parama waits 3

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Sent for round 8
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent for round 8

Yup, you're good. The trick is not to send the song you already sent me in one of the previous rounds like Tim did!

I also know who's going to make it and who isn't, but I'll hold off posting results for another hour or two.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm so fucking stupid! :rollin

Next band incoming shortly Sent!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
well now we know what TAC sent for round 8  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Nah, he changed the band. :lol It was pretty hilarious though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Did Indiscipline send Marky Mark's Party Band? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
It was banned.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Eagerly awaiting my execution at the hands of the Evermind.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Ask and you shall receive.

Tiebreaker Results:

Indiscipline: Manfred Mann’s Earth Band – Questions

Easily my favourite song out of three here. Good vocals and great vocal melodies. From the sound of it, I bet it’s somewhere from 80s or even 70s, but as someone in the YouTube comments said, “good music doesn’t have an expiration date”, and I agree. This was a solid tune that grabbed me from the first listen. Nice ballad.

senecadawg2: Cigarettes After Sex – Affection

This reminds me of Goldfrapp – Stranger with its sultry atmosphere—definitely a whiskey and cat music. Not a mindblowing song, but it’s nice and relaxing, a good example of a chill song. I would’ve loved a bit more diverse or memorable vocal melodies, but this is still fine enough for you to make it.

Kattelox: Arch Echo – Color Wheel

Man, do you have giant balls sending me an instrumental in a tiebreaker. This is kind of nice, like, better than Nil by Mouth or Enigma Machine, but also not fantastic like Ommadawn was. As far as the instrumentals go, it’s nice—I especially like the quiet moments with keyboards driving the song forward—but unfortunately it’s not really enough to compete with the other two songs, although it was kind of close between this song and Affection.

Kattelox, on one hand I expected you to send me some great power metal, but I understand your reluctance to go that route after your first two songs didn’t score too well. It was interesting to see you coming up with those different genres from pop to jazz to death metal to instrumental progressive goodness. I guess our tastes are a bit more different than I initially suspected—something that I began noticing while playing in your second roulette. It was quite fun though—I could never guess where your next song would take me. Here’s your ranking (the bands I’m going to check out are bolded):

1.   Equilibrium - Unbesiegt
2.   Sons of Seasons - Yesteryears
3.   Indica – Eerie Eden
4.   Savage Circus – Evil Eyes

5.   Arch Echo – Color Wheel
6.   Aquaria – And Let the Show Begin
7.   Benny Goodman – Sing Sing Sing
8.   Florence + The Machine – No Light, No Light

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Round 8: Greatest Hits

Round 8 requires each one of 8 remaining participants to send a number of songs from the same band, essentially making it a Greatest Hits compilation. The idea is shamelessly stolen from Puppies’ roulette, only I don’t want it to be too long, so the requirements for this are as follows: all songs should be by the same band, the minimum length of the compilation is 30 minutes, the length limit is 50 minutes, and the songs should come from at least three different albums.

I totally expect this round to take longer than usual, so please try and send for this round in 72 hours from now on.

Just a reminder: from this point onwards, the scores don't matter. It's basically a playoff system now. The match-ups are as follows (the tiebreakers between upper places were decided based on the strength of your latest submission):

Luoto vs. senecadawg2
TAC vs. Indiscipline
Puppies_On_Acid vs. wolfking
LordCost vs. jingle.boy

Let's do this!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. It's affection, always (Tiebreaker Results)
« Reply #1039 on: March 31, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
katt's new icon:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1040 on: March 31, 2019, 12:19:11 PM »
Ooohh..matchups!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1041 on: March 31, 2019, 12:23:38 PM »
Damn.

Yeah, when I realized the power metal wasn't scoring well, I just did what I did in Pup's roulette, which is the equivalent of playing darts blindfolded. Our tastes are definitely quite a bit different; I was actually hoping the Arch Echo song would be nice enough to get me through to GH which is where I was gonna go nuts. Maybe next time. This was fun! Thanks for letting me play :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: March 31, 2019, 12:29:20 PM »
You can still send your compilation though! I'm fairly sure Tyrias planned to send his even if he was eliminated. I'll listen either after the roulette, or during the last two rounds if I find the time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1043 on: March 31, 2019, 12:33:19 PM »
Well, since Pup's concept album fell through (sorry Pup  :lol) I'll try. No promises though  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1044 on: March 31, 2019, 12:38:04 PM »
puppies you never reviewed the bonus album i sent you either  :corn

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1045 on: March 31, 2019, 03:40:08 PM »
Saved by the wonderful voice of mister Chris Thompson!

Tim, I have my Andrew Toney jersey ready  :corn

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1046 on: March 31, 2019, 09:00:02 PM »
Well, since Pup's concept album fell through (sorry Pup  :lol) I'll try. No promises though  :lol
I'm still waiting......  :yeahright

puppies you never reviewed the bonus album i sent you either  :corn
I just got home from vacation. I'll be getting to it soon hopefully. :soon:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1047 on: March 31, 2019, 11:13:02 PM »
So I basically have 4 different Greatest Hits albums made up (well technically 5, but someone stole Enslaved out from under me  :censored ). Anyways, I'm not sure how to pick. Do I go with the more moody, emotional artist. Or do I go with the melodic, but heavy. Or maybe the more technical and varied. Or should I go with the catchier, more hook oriented band.....?  ???
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1048 on: March 31, 2019, 11:19:28 PM »
melodic but heavy

ps PM me what bands you're deciding between, i'll tell you which one i think evermind would like most and since i'm guaranteed to be wrong you can safely pick one of the others

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: April 01, 2019, 03:15:58 AM »
I like this idea. :lol

You can also consider what Kade would send and go either similar or opposite direction.