Author Topic: The Ozzy Thread  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Anxiety35

Re: The Ozzy Thread
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 10:35:55 AM »
Good voice turned into a unique voice with the help of audio magic. When you hear classic Ozzy (80's era) it's all over his records. Not so much with Sabbath but definitely in his solo work.

His persona helped with his stardom. He put great musicians & producers around him to put out some great music. Add good music to a personality and you have staying power. Randy Rhoads is the big reason for his solo success. That's why he's still touring at 70 years old.

The album that got me into Ozzy was No More Tears. I was a kid and when I first heard the song No More Tears on the radio. The crunch of the guitar in that song did it for me. Became a Zakk Wylde fan too. I think No More Tears is some of his best work as a singer. His best solo record? Hard to say. Blizzard, Diary, NMT, Ultimate Sin are the top 4 for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but other than Diary, I very much prefer Ozzy with Sabbath, and at this point I can't imagine a Sabbath song from that era without his vocals.  I'm a big "cover" fan, myself - I love love love Beatles covers for some reason - but I just don't find that most bands can really do the Ozzy-era Sabbath justice.  Yeah they were "heavy" but that wasn't all of Sabbath's charm, and Ozzy's trebly vocals were the PERFECT complement to the musical sludge. 

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else, but other than Diary, I very much prefer Ozzy with Sabbath, and at this point I can't imagine a Sabbath song from that era without his vocals.  I'm a big "cover" fan, myself - I love love love Beatles covers for some reason - but I just don't find that most bands can really do the Ozzy-era Sabbath justice.  Yeah they were "heavy" but that wasn't all of Sabbath's charm, and Ozzy's trebly vocals were the PERFECT complement to the musical sludge.

I agree. I always thought Ozzy was perfect with Sabbath. I like the Sabbath material more than Ozzy solo records.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »

I agree. I always thought Ozzy was perfect with Sabbath. I like the Sabbath material more than Ozzy solo records.

I just listened to Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath while blowing snow, and man, are those records solid, top to bottom.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »
Well in Ozzy news...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-osbourne-diagnosed-with-severe-upper-respiratory-infection-entire-european-tour-postponed/?fbclid=IwAR0gEph5FOzcaWUhLvh5flsUT_d2-T4B7LuRngsOoYmMqoFP25jMbh66dzc

His health has gotten worse and he's had a string of unfortunate things happen lately. Besides that, if you search YouTube for videos of his tour over the past year or so (after Black Sabbath hung it up), it's horrid. Everything is tuned way low and his singing is really awful. I'd hate to pay good money to hear that poor quality of a performance.

Ozzy needed to retire when Black Sabbath did. I hate saying that. If he needed anything telling him it was time to hang it up, it's the chain of events leading to the cancellation of the European leg of the tour.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 04:32:10 PM »
I got a little bit into Ozzy way more later than most of you. It was somewhere between 2005 and 2006. The band I was playing at the time wanted to cover "Gets me through", so I listened to it and I liked it. Then I watched the Budokan DVD and listened to the classics. For many years I only knew those songs, then about 3 years ago I finally listened to Diary of a Madman and I loved it. I still have to listen to the other albums.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 05:12:26 PM »

I just listened to Vol. 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath while blowing snow, and man, are those records solid, top to bottom.

Back when those albums were released, that would have meant something very different!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 05:22:24 PM »
 :lol

Nice!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 05:29:15 PM »
Well in Ozzy news...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-osbourne-diagnosed-with-severe-upper-respiratory-infection-entire-european-tour-postponed/?fbclid=IwAR0gEph5FOzcaWUhLvh5flsUT_d2-T4B7LuRngsOoYmMqoFP25jMbh66dzc

His health has gotten worse and he's had a string of unfortunate things happen lately. Besides that, if you search YouTube for videos of his tour over the past year or so (after Black Sabbath hung it up), it's horrid. Everything is tuned way low and his singing is really awful. I'd hate to pay good money to hear that poor quality of a performance.

Ozzy needed to retire when Black Sabbath did. I hate saying that. If he needed anything telling him it was time to hang it up, it's the chain of events leading to the cancellation of the European leg of the tour.

I thought he was fine over the summer live, considering his age of course, but you are right about the now series of illness and cancellations.  Maybe it's a sign.  He should be serious about "no more tours" for his own health. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2019, 06:44:21 PM »
Ozzy and Priest touring together would have been awesome 30 years ago. 

Now, not so much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2019, 07:16:48 PM »
Believe it or not, I only saw Ozzy once in my life. January 20, 1996.

The date is also notable because that was the day I met my wife. (Not at the concert ;D)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 08:16:49 PM »
I had tickets to see Ozzy ONCE.   

We only bought tickets to see Metallica.

Rumors were that Ozzy was getting blown off the stage (and in some cases, even booed) because the audience wanted more Metallica and less him.  (ala Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath on the Never Say Die tour).   

We were debating whether we wanted to A) leave as soon as Metallica was over, or B) stay and try to boo Ozzy off the stage. 

Ozzy cancelled several shows (including the Seattle show) for "laryngitis" and Metallica subsequently left the tour to star headlining their own. 

This would have been my last and only opportunity to see Cliff before he died.   

Happy ending: I did get to see Metallica headline the Puppets tour with Metal Church opening in what was one of Jason's very first shows.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 10:01:42 PM »

The date is also notable because that was the day I met my wife. (Not at the concert ;D)

I saw him a few weeks after that. It was my first concert and I worshiped the guy like a dumb teenager. Slowly I started to learn that he doesn't write any of his own lyrics, he tried to murder his wife, and screws over everyone he works with. I was bummed and stopped listening but then when Bob Daisley finally went public with everything, he gave me a whole new respect for the Blizzard of Ozz band and the music that was created and Ozzy sang along with.

Now I gotta say that I love everything Ozzy performed on through Ozzmosis (Ultimate Sin not as much). I think it's interesting that pretty much anything Ozzy has done that does NOT have the contributions of Daisley or Geezer is pretty much crap.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2019, 01:03:39 AM »

Back when those albums were released, that would have meant something very different!

:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2019, 11:43:35 AM »

That was my wedding day!

I only saw Ozzy twice.  My first rock concert in April 1984 on the BatM tour and two years later on the Ultimate Sin tour with Metallica.

I kinda wish I'd gone to see him when he started touring with Sabbath again, but oh well....

Rumors were that Ozzy was getting blown off the stage (and in some cases, even booed) because the audience wanted more Metallica and less him.  (ala Van Halen opening for Black Sabbath on the Never Say Die tour).   

My friends and I went to the June 14, 1986 show at Long Beach Arena.  There were only two more Ozzy/Metallica shows after the one I saw (one more at LB Arena the next day and one in Daly City two days after that).  After that Metallica played a couple of festivals in Europe and then came back to the states before returning to Europe.  The cancelled Seattle dates were June 21/22, so only a week after the show I saw.  I don't recall Ozzy being booed off the stage, but it's the only show where I really recall the opening band blowing the headliner away.  I also recall Ozzy's set being really short (no more than 70 minutes) and lackluster.  I was also pissed at him because my friends and I had stood in line for several hours at a record store signing, and Ozzy bailed out early, just as we were getting near the front of the line.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2019, 11:46:23 AM »

Sounds also like Iron Maiden playing before Black Sabbath during Ozzfest 2005.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2019, 12:36:54 PM »

I supposed a certain Mrs. Osbourne did not take that quite well during that time and would do something to humiliate Maiden, wouldn't she.........

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »
oh she would never take matters into her own hands now would she....

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2019, 01:31:48 PM »
I supposed a certain Mrs. Osbourne did not take that quite well during that time and would do something to humiliate Maiden, wouldn't she.........
Yeah, I was at that show. Filthy cunt. To their credit Maiden played an inspired set throughout all of the intrigue. While we didn't get many of the staples it was still one of my favorite Maiden shows for Bruce being so pissed off the whole time. I'd seen Bruce sit off the front of the stage calmly trying to convince people not to fight. After that I'd seen him single people out to be beaten to a pulp.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2019, 01:33:39 PM »
In other Ozzy news, according to FCSO he "is now breathing on his own." Sounds like that respiratory infection was worse than they'd let on. Hope he recovers well, but it's sounding kind of bad for the guy. Between the staph infection and now pneumonia it's looking like his body isn't really keeping up the way it should.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2019, 09:20:45 AM »
All 2019 Ozzy dates have been cancelled or postponed

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ozzy-osbourne-postpones-all-2019-tour-dates/

damn, him and Megadeth at MSG was a concert I was really looking forward to this summer