Author Topic: 2019 MLB Thread  (Read 15180 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: 2019 MLB Thread
« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
I love the haul the Indians got for Trevor Bauer yesterday.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-trade-reds

Puig is a solid rental and Reyes is under team control for 3 more years.  Indians did a heck of a job in lengthening their window of contention.

Not sure how I feel about this.  I have a bet with a guy at work that Puig will hit more homers this season than Bryce Harper.  In part, I made that bet based on Puig playing in Cincinnati, but I'm concerned about his playing time and also whether Jacob's Field is is as conducive to homers as is the Reds' stadium.  So far, Puig is up 22-18, but it'd suck of this trade causes Puig to have a less than stellar last third of the season.

The Jake is a hitter's park.  Not quite the bandbox that Great American Ballpark is, but it's still hitter friendly.  Puig should do well there.  Remember, Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez used to mash there back in the day.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2019, 10:57:23 PM »
Dodgers needed relief pitching and got mostly infielders.  Wow.  I understand not wanting to give up big names or good prospects, but come on man, that's weak.  So much for a world series win this year. We'll be lucky to even get there.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2019, 11:04:30 PM »
I love the haul the Indians got for Trevor Bauer yesterday.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-trade-reds

Puig is a solid rental and Reyes is under team control for 3 more years.  Indians did a heck of a job in lengthening their window of contention.

Not sure how I feel about this.  I have a bet with a guy at work that Puig will hit more homers this season than Bryce Harper.  In part, I made that bet based on Puig playing in Cincinnati, but I'm concerned about his playing time and also whether Jacob's Field is is as conducive to homers as is the Reds' stadium.  So far, Puig is up 22-18, but it'd suck of this trade causes Puig to have a less than stellar last third of the season.

The Jake is a hitter's park.  Not quite the bandbox that Great American Ballpark is, but it's still hitter friendly.  Puig should do well there.  Remember, Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez used to mash there back in the day.

As a Reds STH, I'm not that happy with this on the surface. Granted, the Reds are trying to extend Woods, and with Bauer, Castillo, and Gray in the rotation next year that staff will be pretty damn formidable. But Puig fell in nicely here with the city, and in the clubhouse. My son was at the game last night, and when the brawl broke out and he stood up for his teammates, he said several Pirates players were yelling at him to calm down as he'd just been traded. Puig yelled back, "I don't give a fuck. Today, I'm a Cincinnati Red, and I wear this uniform and this is my team. Fuck you!"

Gotta love that attitude. Hate to see him go. 

But he was going to be a rental anyway.

Besides, the Reds tried to make a play for Bauer last winter, but the Indians wanted 2 of our top 3 prospects at the time.

I'm sure Bauers passion will play here well too.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2019, 10:32:34 AM »
Dodgers needed relief pitching and got mostly infielders.  Wow.  I understand not wanting to give up big names or good prospects, but come on man, that's weak.  So much for a world series win this year. We'll be lucky to even get there.

Some guy got on the Petros & Money Show yesterday and blasted the Dodgers for being so unwilling to trade prospects.  He said something like, "Great!  The Dodgers will once again win the World Series of prospects!"

That's a misguided point of view.  In 2017, we traded Willie Calhoun (who was talked about the same way as Alex Verdugo) as part of the package to get Yu Darvish.  While that trade obviously didn't work out in the end, it was a universally hailed move at the time it was made.

From what I heard, the Dodgers were willing to trade Ruiz (the catching prospect) but weren't willing to trade Gavin Lux (SS) or Dustin May (P).  I'm ok with that, mostly because there was no big name that changed teams.  Trevor Bauer and Zack Grienke being the two biggest names, and I wouldn't have wanted either of them.  Do we need relief help?  Yeah, but we did get a reliever (Adam Kolarek).  I've never heard of him, but who knows.  And it's not like the Pirates traded Vasquez to someone else.

I don't see anyone in the NL challenging the Dodgers this year.  The Brewers could, but they're down from last year.  The Astros and Yankees are the class of the AL, so this reminds me of 2017, and I think if the 2019 Dodgers had played in the 2017 WS, they win.  Hope springs eternal.

But Puig fell in nicely here with the city, and in the clubhouse. My son was at the game last night, and when the brawl broke out and he stood up for his teammates, he said several Pirates players were yelling at him to calm down as he'd just been traded. Puig yelled back, "I don't give a fuck. Today, I'm a Cincinnati Red, and I wear this uniform and this is my team. Fuck you!"

Gotta love that attitude. Hate to see him go.

Sounds about right.  He had a real nice tweet to the people of Cincinnati and his teammates yesterday.  I would not have been at all sad if he had stayed in LA.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »
Adding Greinke to a rotation with Verlander and Cole almost seems unfair to the rest of the AL West  :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »
So...

What is everyone's opinion on bench clearing brawls in Baseball?

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline romdrums

« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2019, 01:13:13 PM »
Largely pointless.  I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw a stat that said the Pirates have the most bench clearing incidents since 2015 or something like that.  The Indians had the fewest.  Speaking of the Pirates, that was the second bench clearing incident between them and the Reds this year.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2019, 01:17:09 PM »
So...

I won't say I don't occasionally find them interesting, but my position for a while has been as follows:

1. Charge the mound (as a batter) or leave the mound (as a pitcher) for the purpose of fighting and you get automatically and immediately suspended and fined.
2. Leave your defensive position for the purpose of becoming involved in a brawl and get automatically and immediately suspended and fined.
3. Leave the dugout or bullpen for the purpose of becoming involved in a brawl and get automatically and immediately suspended and fined.

Can't field a team tomorrow because your whole active roster got suspended?  Too bad.  These "brawls" where everyone feels some sort of compulsion to jog in from the bullpen, etc. are an utter waste of time.  If the pitcher and batter want to duke it out, let 'em.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »
Several times the Dodgers defense saved Jansen's ass.  Several times he was a base hit or HR away from a blown save.  Yes a win is a win, but I doubt they will get that lucky against a playoff team.  But then they could come in and blow dudes away.  That's the problem.  You never know what the pen's gonna do each game.

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2019, 02:41:30 PM »
A couple months ago, a guy at my office brought in a box from his garage with a bunch of old (70s to 80s) baseball cards.  Nothing apparently special, but earlier this week, he dug through it and found an unopened pack of Topps 1975 cards.  I did some googling and found that he probably could sell it for maybe $50 but that some cards in the 1975 set were worth a lot of money (in particular, George Brett and Robin Yount rookie cards), so someone else here was saying that he should open it.

Today, they came into my office and said that, if I agreed to eat the gum, I could open it.  Mind you that I wasn't advocating either way.  Nevertheless, I agreed.  The card with the most apparent value is the Cubs team card.  The gum was about what you'd expect.  It had already broken into several pieces, and it was a lot like chewing chalk.  After about a minute, I spit it out in the trash can and was left with a slightly dirty feel in my mouth until I had lunch.

Just in case y'all were wondering what 44 year old baseball card pack gum tastes like!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #150 on: August 11, 2019, 07:24:59 PM »
I went to Cincinnati to see the Cubs play today. It's been a long time since I've been to a pro sporting event of any kind, and I had a great time. Kris Bryant hit a 3 run homer in the later inning to put the Cubs into the lead. Seeing a player with that sweet of a stroke hit a long ball on tv is one thing, but seeing it in person is on a whole different level.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline romdrums

« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2019, 12:23:05 PM »
That was a great weekend from the Indians.  Went into Minnesota 2 games down and took 3 of 4 to end the weekend tied for first in the AL Central.  Twins had an 11.5 game lead on June 3rd, and the Indians have won 47 of 59 games in that time span, with their number 1 and number 1.A starters sidelined for all of that run.  Shane Bieber and Mike Clevinger have stepped up in a big way, and Zack Plesac and Aaron Civale look like the latest gems in the current run of Indians' starting pitching.  The stretch run is going to be sweet!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2019, 11:28:33 PM »
So...

I won't say I don't occasionally find them interesting, but my position for a while has been as follows:

1. Charge the mound (as a batter) or leave the mound (as a pitcher) for the purpose of fighting and you get automatically and immediately suspended and fined.
2. Leave your defensive position for the purpose of becoming involved in a brawl and get automatically and immediately suspended and fined.
3. Leave the dugout or bullpen for the purpose of becoming involved in a brawl and get automatically and immediately suspended and fined.

Can't field a team tomorrow because your whole active roster got suspended?  Too bad.  These "brawls" where everyone feels some sort of compulsion to jog in from the bullpen, etc. are an utter waste of time.  If the pitcher and batter want to duke it out, let 'em.

Trot Nixon has an answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJicsBBCOv8
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »
So...

Trot Nixon has an answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJicsBBCOv8

There's a name I haven't heard in a while!  I'm ok with that.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2019, 11:49:50 PM »
Not a fan of brawls.  Big waste of time I agree.

After getting blown out their last two games, the Marlins beat Dodgers 13-7.  That's a David v. Goliath style win. 

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #155 on: August 15, 2019, 11:59:39 PM »
Today I learned of some unwritten rules in baseball.

During the Twins game in the 9th inning, they were leading 13-5. Jake Cave was up to bat and the count was 3-0. Pitch is thrown and he swings at it, gets a hit and gets a single. Commentators started talking about how Cave needed to apologize to the pitcher for swinging on a 3-0 pitch. He hit his chest towards the pitcher to apologize.

Max Kepler is up next, he gets a 2-0 count, pitch is thrown and he gets beaned with a fastball. Commentary states that it was retaliation for the 3-0 swing.

How stupid. Because the pitcher can't throw a strike, the batter needs to hold back and not swing to get on base. I googled other unwritten rules and one of them is that if you get hit by a pitch, you shouldn't rub the spot you got hit because it's an insult to the pitcher.  :huh:
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline pg1067

« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
Today I learned of some unwritten rules in baseball.

. . .

How stupid.

That pretty much sums up my opinion about most, if not all, of the so-called "unwritten rules" of baseball.  It's one thing, with a big lead late in the game and you've got a guy on first and the batter hits a double, for the third base coach to hold the runner at third and not try and score him.  But there's reason for a batter to give the pitcher a gimme strike.  And to plunk a DIFFERENT batter in retaliation is even worse (especially in the AL where the pitchers only play half of the game and won't face reprisal themselves).  The other one that's supremely dumb is not trying to break up a no-hitter by bunting (especially if it's a close game).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2019, 10:37:26 AM »
Went to Petco Park on Wednesday. What a beautiful facility. Just drives home what a fucking dump Fenway is.

My only complaint is that Petco needs escalators. You have to walk a mile to go up or down a level. Elevators not withstanding..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2019, 02:43:24 AM »
Went to Petco Park on Wednesday. What a beautiful facility. Just drives home what a fucking dump Fenway is.

My only complaint is that Petco needs escalators. You have to walk a mile to go up or down a level. Elevators not withstanding..

Is it simply an age issue as far as your enjoyment of the park vs. Fenway?

The reason that I ask is because I've been in a few "modern" stadiums (Jacobs Field (Indians), Great American (Reds) and Hines Field (Steelers)), and I'd know/expect them to be better than some of the older places that I've visited in the past (Municipal (Indians old stadium) and Riverfront (Reds/Bengals old stadium)). However, I'm going to be making my first visit to Wrigley Field next month in Chicago to see the Cubs and Cardinals play. I don't expect Wrigley to have some of the modern amenities that the newer places have, but considering the history of the place I'm really pumped up about finally making my first visit to the place. I'd almost expect Fenway to hold that same kind of reverence to a Red Sox fan.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2019, 09:34:11 AM »
Well, I've never been, but you should be excited to go to Wrigley, and Fenway for that matter.

There's nothing like coming up the tunnel and seeing the Fenway field for the first time. Iconic for sure.

At Petco, all of the seats are angled towards the infield. At Fenway, the seats are angled whatever way the row is facing. Down the right field foul line, your seats are literally angled towards the outfield!

I like the nice open air feel of the new stadiums. At Fenway, you literally feel like you're in a tunnel moving around the ballpark.

Current ownership has actually done as well of a job as they can trying to create a much better atmosphere though. There are some open spaces in the upper deck down the right field line.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2019, 08:19:12 AM »
nobody wants to win the NL Central.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2019, 01:11:11 PM »

I just looked at the standings for the first time in a long time.

Dodgers with an 18.5 game lead -- and that's after dropping 2 of 3 to the Braves.  I hope whoever wins the central can at least take the Braves to 5 games int he NLDS.

Dodgers are on pace for a +270 run differential, which would be the greatest differential since at least 2003.

The Rays are 21 "games above .500" but still 9.5 games behind the Yankees (it feels like this has happened to them multiple times over the last decade or so).

The NL Central and the NL wild card are going to be messy down to the last day.

The Twins and Indians battle in the AL Central looks like it'll be a fun one.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #162 on: August 19, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »

It's SOOOOO bad. Just mediocre at best baseball. Were the Cubs, Brewers or Cards really any good at all they could have ran away with the division two months ago. It really does not matter. None of those (3) teams has a chance in  :censored of winning a series....they're that bad. It's not even fun to watch.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »

It's SOOOOO bad. Just mediocre at best baseball. Were the Cubs, Brewers or Cards really any good at all they could have ran away with the division two months ago. It really does not matter. None of those (3) teams has a chance in  :censored of winning a series....they're that bad. It's not even fun to watch.

I wouldn't say that. Any team can get hot at the right time, and become unstoppable. The chances probably aren't that great, though. I do agree with you guys that the division looks bad, though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #164 on: August 21, 2019, 11:19:32 AM »
And in other news, the Dodgers beat the Blue Jays yesterday.  The score was the same as that of Super Bowl 3.

At one point, the Dodgers' organist was playing Subdivisions by Rush.  He's VERY aware of what's going on in the park and on the TV broadcast, and it made me wonder if Geddy Lee was in the house (or if he just played it because Toronto was the opponent).

NL MVP Watch:

Bellinger:  .320 BA (6th), 42 HR (1st), 100 RBI (tied for 2nd), 1.091 OPS (2nd)

Yelich:  .333 (1st), 41 (2nd), 89 (9th), 1.117 (1st)

Alonso:  .271 (<30th), 40 (3rd), 97 (6th), .997 (5th)

Rendon:  .322 (5th), 27 (tied for 19th), 98 (tied for 4th), 1.007 (3rd)

Is anyone other than Trout being talked about for AL MVP (even though his team is likely to miss the playoffs for the eighth time in his nine seasons)?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2019, 10:37:10 AM »

I wouldn't say that. Any team can get hot at the right time, and become unstoppable. The chances probably aren't that great, though. I do agree with you guys that the division looks bad, though.

I'm so confident that the Cardinals have zero chance of making any type of noise that I told my buddy that if the Cardinals made it to the NLCS I'd eat a piece of dried dog poo. It's the safest bet I've ever made.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
Stop losing to the fucking A’s.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
Stop losing to the fucking A’s.

Will do! :tup

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2019, 11:47:01 PM »

I'm so confident that the Cardinals have zero chance of making any type of noise that I told my buddy that if the Cardinals made it to the NLCS I'd eat a piece of dried dog poo. It's the safest bet I've ever made.

Since I'm a Cubs fan, I hope that you're right. However, I want to see video if you lose the bet...  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2019, 01:00:54 AM »

At one point, the Dodgers' organist was playing Subdivisions by Rush.  He's VERY aware of what's going on in the park and on the TV broadcast, and it made me wonder if Geddy Lee was in the house (or if he just played it because Toronto was the opponent).

Yea he plays some great stuff and at great times.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #170 on: August 24, 2019, 06:41:03 PM »
I must say I hate the black and white uniforms this weekend.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #171 on: August 24, 2019, 11:25:57 PM »
That's the general consensus.  Terrible idea.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2019, 08:52:49 AM »
MLB "lets do a players only weekend where the players can put nicknames on their jerseys!"

MLB "lets make the uniforms white with white lettering!"

Fans "I can't read the names or see the logos"

MLB "isn't this great!"
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
Same goes with the hideous black ones.  I tuned in for two pitches the past two nights, and just couldn't take it.

So tired of all the gimmicky stuff for the NBA, NFL, and NCAA. 

Also, if you're going to design some of these so called 'special' unis, at least smoke some better weed.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »
MLB "lets do a players only weekend where the players can put nicknames on their jerseys!"

MLB "lets make the uniforms white with white lettering!"

Fans "I can't read the names or see the logos"

MLB "isn't this great!"

You nailed it. It took me several innings of the first Cubs game to figure out what Lester's nickname was, and he's pitching! The camera is on his back the most!

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history