Author Topic: 2019 MLB Thread  (Read 15176 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: 2019 MLB Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2019, 07:55:21 PM »

Pure gold!!!  If the Dodgers marketing department has any sense, they'll make 50,000 t-shirts and distribute them next time Bumgarner pitches against the Dodgers in LA.

The Dodgers didn't, but they didn't have to.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dodgers+get+it+out+of+the+ocean+shirt&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL-IyCuvniAhWTIDQIHe4IDQ8QsxgILQ&biw=1600&bih=736

The interwebs was buzzin about the Rays exploring a "split season" between TB and Montreal, however the city of St. Pete probably won't let them do it.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2019, 10:09:19 AM »

Pure gold!!!  If the Dodgers marketing department has any sense, they'll make 50,000 t-shirts and distribute them next time Bumgarner pitches against the Dodgers in LA.

The Dodgers didn't, but they didn't have to.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dodgers+get+it+out+of+the+ocean+shirt&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiL-IyCuvniAhWTIDQIHe4IDQ8QsxgILQ&biw=1600&bih=736

Yup.  I got mine, AND Muncy wore one during batting practice at least once or twice.  Doesn't look like anything happened during yesterday's game, and Bumgarner will be in another uniform soon, so this is probably the last we'll hear of this.

The interwebs was buzzin about the Rays exploring a "split season" between TB and Montreal, however the city of St. Pete probably won't let them do it.

When does the team's lease at its current facility expire?  The team is averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 14,000 per game and can barely manage 25,000 with the Yankees in town.  All this despite being in or within striking distance of first place all season.  If St. Pete wants to keep the team, then St. Pete should support the team.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »

When does the team's lease at its current facility expire?  The team is averaging somewhere in the neighborhood of 14,000 per game and can barely manage 25,000 with the Yankees in town.  All this despite being in or within striking distance of first place all season.  If St. Pete wants to keep the team, then St. Pete should support the team.
I read this morning that the current lease goes through 2027, so they're going nowhere soon. Mayor has already said no way they're letting them out of the lease.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2019, 01:14:11 AM »
Bumgarner will be in another uniform soon, so this is probably the last we'll hear of this.

There's been mention of him going to the Dodgers!  :lol DRAMA BOMB :corn

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2019, 08:37:24 AM »
If I cared about baseball at all anymore, that moment with Pujols last night in his return to St. Louis would have been awesome, but my love for baseball is all but totally gone. :( :(

Offline T-ski

« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
the Brewers pitching staff is a mess.

also, Yelich is pretty good.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2019, 10:16:53 AM »
If I cared about baseball at all anymore, that moment with Pujols last night in his return to St. Louis would have been awesome, but my love for baseball is all but totally gone. :( :(

Yep. You and me both. How the tides have changed now that the media in St. Louis are begging the Cardinal ownership to take notice of how the Blues have ran their team.

Trading/getting rid of popular players in order to improve themselves....making daring moves to improve. The Cardinals ownership group has habitually taken advantage of this fan base by just playing middle of the road baseball and middle of the road tactics when it comes to building a team. I think the fan base is finally getting sick of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline dparrott

« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2019, 10:33:45 AM »
Marlins fans are saying the same thing.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #113 on: June 24, 2019, 11:39:19 AM »
Bumgarner will be in another uniform soon, so this is probably the last we'll hear of this.

There's been mention of him going to the Dodgers!  :lol DRAMA BOMB :corn

I can't see that happening.  We don't need him, and other teams are guaranteed to be willing to give up more than the Dodgers would.

It was a cool moment, but it seemed like it totally got overblown by the end of the series with Pujols and Molina slobbering over each other and exchanging jerseys.  The other thing that kinda ruined it for me was when they showed the highlights on MLB Network and they put up someone's tweet in the corner of the screen about how the STL fans giving Pujols a standing ovation demonstrated that STL fans are the best fans in baseball.  That dialog is so overblown and a bunch of nonsense.  There isn't an MLB city in which Pujols wouldn't have gotten exactly the same reception.

On another note:  The Dodgers swept the Rockies on three consecutive walk-off homers - all by rookies.  Best record in baseball and a 13 game lead in the division!!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: June 24, 2019, 04:31:20 PM »
Pujols and Molina are as good a friends as you will find in MLB, so all of their interactions this weekend were authentic and cool to see.

As for the "best fans in baseball" stuff, Cardinals fans have a long-standing great rep for a reason.  I am not saying we are the best fans in baseball, just that it's a well-earned compliment.  There obviously is no way to measure that kind of thing. 

Offline dparrott

« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2019, 10:31:39 PM »
Y'all see two different girls ran after the Dodgers' Bellinger for hugs while he was on the field? It's Belli-mania!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
Y'all see two different girls ran after the Dodgers' Bellinger for hugs while he was on the field? It's Belli-mania!

That's creepy and criminal. It is never okay to run on to the field to do anything.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2019, 03:40:02 PM »

That's creepy and criminal. It is never okay to run on to the field to do anything.

Right?!  Just ask Tom Gamboa.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2019, 11:30:57 AM »
Anyone else watching the London game?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline dparrott

« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2019, 07:24:33 PM »

Yea I watched the beginning of it, that was crazy.  It's fun with that many fans, a lot of them got foul balls or home runs.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2019, 08:40:09 PM »

I watched the first couple innings and then bits and pieces after that.  The first inning was just awful, and the score indicates things didn't get much better.  Terrible example of baseball.  Hope the pitching shows better tomorrow.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2019, 07:09:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/MLHHlIyWIVo?t=399

Classic Earl Weaver!  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2019, 12:29:30 AM »
The National League's starting outfield for the ASG -- Bellinger, Yelich and Acuna -- is the youngest starting outfield since Aaron, Mays and Frank Robinson in 1957.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2019, 06:10:50 PM »
The National League's starting outfield for the ASG -- Bellinger, Yelich and Acuna -- is the youngest starting outfield since Aaron, Mays and Frank Robinson in 1957.

Cool piece of trivia. That ‘57 outfield combined for a cool 2,001 career homers.  :o

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
Real nice ceremony for Tyler Skaggs before the Angels game tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2019, 11:39:52 PM »
What an incredible performance by the Angels tonight.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2019, 06:59:56 AM »
Oh shit, a combined no hitter! WOW!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2019, 08:23:44 PM »
So I'm watching the Angels/M's game tonight (because the Sox are getting their ass kicked) and Pujols comes up and the graphic says that
he is 18th on the all time hit list. At #17 is someone called Paul Waner.

Now I am 50 years old, and have followed baseball pretty damn closely for 40 of those years. I don't think I have ever heard of Paul Waner.  :facepalm: :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2019, 05:22:48 PM »
Watching the Sox/Dodgers on ESPN. Can A-Rod and Jessica STFU!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
So I'm watching the Angels/M's game tonight (because the Sox are getting their ass kicked) and Pujols comes up and the graphic says that

Now I am 50 years old, and have followed baseball pretty damn closely for 40 of those years. I don't think I have ever heard of Paul Waner.  :facepalm: :lol

I just checked his stats on Baseball-Reference.com and he was a legit hitter.  Not a home run guy by any means, but he retired with a .333 career batting average and 605 doubles and 191 triples.  In 15 seasons with the Pirates (that may be why you had never heard of him), he averaged .340 and somehow drove in 131 runs in his second season while hitting only 9 home runs.  And, he hit 40 triples in his first two years.  In 1927, his Pirates team hit 54 home runs, 6 less than Babe Ruth in that same season.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:08:45 AM by romdrums »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
Watching the Sox/Dodgers on ESPN. Can A-Rod and Jessica STFU!

I thought the booth with Aaron Boone and Jessica Mendoza was really good.  When Mr. J-Lo showed up, it became unbearable (even though I like Matt Vasgersian).  The most annoying thing was that they had a whole row of Green Monster seats going to waste for J-Lo and kid.

I know who he is, but I'm really big into baseball history.  For obvious reasons, he doesn't get the pub of his contemporaries, Ruth, Gehrig, Greenberg, etc.

The interesting thing about the all-time hits list for me is that there are on seven "active" players with more than 2,000 hits (I have "active" in quotation marks because Jose Reyes, Matt Holliday and Brandon Phillips are still listed as active despite being unlikely ever to play another MLB game).

Pujols has 3,143, Miguel Cabrera has 2,762, Robinson Cano has 2,528, and Nick Markakis has 2,329.  Cabrera might make it to 3,000, but Cano and Markakis won't, which means that (other than Cabrera), it'll be the better part of another decade before someone else hits the 3,000 hit mark.

The top five guys on the list under age 30 are

Starlin Castro - 1,536
Jose Altuve - 1,483
Eric Hosmer - 1,390
Freddie Freeman - 1,386
Mike Trout - 1,282

All of these guys are 29, except Trout, who's 27; all are in their 9th year, except Freeman, who's in his 10th.  I found an article from May 2018 that predicted Altuve will hit the 3,000 hit mark in 2028 and that Trout will do it the following season.  Seems reasonable to me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2019, 07:25:45 PM »
I have to say that I have a lot of respect for Aaron Judge.

I was telling my son, and I described him as it's basically Gronk playing baseball. Except, Judge carries himself respectfully and humbly, whereas Gronk carries on like a jack ass.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2019, 09:03:07 PM »
The Brewers may have the next great hitter in baseball in Keston Hiura.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2019, 11:31:19 AM »
The Brewers Dodgers may have the next great hitter in baseball.

or

Offline T-ski

« Reply #134 on: July 29, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »
The Brewers Dodgers may have the next great hitter in baseball.

or

neither of those are Gavin Lux.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »
neither of those are Gavin Lux.

Indeed, but lots of guys mash at AAA.  Will Smith has homered in 1/8 of his MLB at-bats, including a walk-off and had 6 RBI after being called up a few days ago.  Beaty has been clutch AF.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
I feel confident Hiura will be a better hitter than either of them.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2019, 12:25:41 PM »
Based on what they've done so far, it's hard to argue against any of them.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2019, 08:13:39 AM »
I love the haul the Indians got for Trevor Bauer yesterday.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-trade-reds

Puig is a solid rental and Reyes is under team control for 3 more years.  Indians did a heck of a job in lengthening their window of contention.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2019, 11:43:59 AM »
I love the haul the Indians got for Trevor Bauer yesterday.

https://www.mlb.com/news/trevor-bauer-trade-reds

Puig is a solid rental and Reyes is under team control for 3 more years.  Indians did a heck of a job in lengthening their window of contention.

Not sure how I feel about this.  I have a bet with a guy at work that Puig will hit more homers this season than Bryce Harper.  In part, I made that bet based on Puig playing in Cincinnati, but I'm concerned about his playing time and also whether Jacob's Field is is as conducive to homers as is the Reds' stadium.  So far, Puig is up 22-18, but it'd suck of this trade causes Puig to have a less than stellar last third of the season.