Author Topic: 2019 MLB Thread  (Read 15184 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: 2019 MLB Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »
Apparently that contract is iron clad. NO opt-outs, and a no-trade clause. Wow, dude must really love Philly.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2019, 03:25:38 PM »
Dude has to have like five opt-outs in that deal. If he does't have at least a couple, he's dumb.

"Harper's deal includes a no-trade clause and has no opt-outs, league sources told ESPN, indicating that he is committed to the Phillies for possibly the rest of his career."  http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26105394/sources-phillies-finalizing-deal-harper

Absolutely insane.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline dparrott

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »
These Marlins ST jerseys are gorgeous in the sun.  In the right light they almost match their old teal color.  They need to wear these in the regular season.

Their white uniforms need work though, not enough color.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »
Mike Trout and Angels working on a monster extension. One less year and a hundred million more than Harper just got

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2019, 09:15:11 AM »
Baseball contracts are so ridiculous.  This is just more proof of why they need a salary cap.

Trout is great, but what a waste. He will now spend his entire career on a team that has shown it is incapable of surrounding him with a team good enough to contend.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2019, 10:26:25 AM »
Hey...did y'all know that the regular season starts tomorrow?

For real.  The Mariners and A's will be playing two regular season games in Tokyo on Wednesday and Thursday...at 2:35 a.m. Pacific time...when precisely no one will be watching.  The teams will then return to play a few more spring training games before the regular season begins for real...err...resumes next Thursday (and, in fact, the Mariners will play "split squad" spring training games on Thursday and Friday, likely becoming the first MLB team to play both a spring training game and regular season game on the same day).

Are there folks who really think this is a good idea?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline T-ski

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2019, 11:40:25 AM »

For real.  The Mariners and A's will be playing two regular season games in Tokyo on Wednesday and Thursday...at 2:35 a.m. Pacific time...when precisely no one will be watching.  The teams will then return to play a few more spring training games before the regular season begins for real...err...resumes next Thursday (and, in fact, the Mariners will play "split squad" spring training games on Thursday and Friday, likely becoming the first MLB team to play both a spring training game and regular season game on the same day).

America's pastime, played in Japan. Stupid.

Obviously the only people who think this is a good idea are those who ok'd it. 
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2019, 12:52:14 PM »

America's pastime, played in Japan. Stupid.

Obviously the only people who think this is a good idea are those who ok'd it.

I sort of understood when they shipped the Dodgers and Diamondbacks to Australia a few years ago.  They want to develop interest in a country where baseball isn't a big deal.  Whether that trip accomplished anything, I don't know, but I can at least understand it.  But baseball is huge in Japan.  Japan has its own major professional league, and teams of MLB players play exhibition games in Japan every year or almost every year.  Sending teams to Japan makes no sense at all to me.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »
What's everyone's thoughts on the Red Sox / Yankees games being played in London?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2019, 01:20:46 PM »
What's everyone's thoughts on the Red Sox / Yankees games being played in London?

the same as any Red Sox/Yankees game.....don't care.  :laugh:

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2019, 01:43:26 PM »

the same as any Red Sox/Yankees game.....don't care.  :laugh:

:flame:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 03:49:37 PM »

It makes some amount of sense in that playing high profile games in a non-baseball country might help grow the sport (although I can't really see England becoming a baseball hotbed).  It's also not as bad as going to Japan or Australia; the travel time won't be much longer than a trip to Los Angeles or Seattle.  On the other hand, it's smack in the middle of the season, although each team has two days off before and after the series (the Sox will be in Boston before and in Toronto after the series, and the Yankees will be in Toronto before and at the Mets after the series).  If I were a Sox fan who regularly attended games, I wouldn't be thrilled about losing two home games against the team's biggest rival, and I don't think I'd be thrilled about it if I were a player.  All and all, not as bad as shipping a couple of teams to Japan during spring training, but I can't see that there's much of an upside to it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 04:09:34 PM »
One of the biggest rivalries that brings the show overseas and I'm ok with it.  Especially since it seems to be on again with last years playoffs and the offseason the Yankees had.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2019, 05:31:47 PM »
My gf's dad is actually flying out for one of the London games. And my gf and her dad are going to opening day at Fenway next month. The jealousy is real.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2019, 06:40:29 PM »
Goldschmidt and Cardinals agree on extension. (5) years, $130 million. Great deal for both sides.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline T-ski

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »
Happy Opening Day everyone!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2019, 08:57:51 AM »

To you as well. Looking forward to the games!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2019, 10:55:52 AM »

To you as well. Looking forward to the games!

Likewise, but...

Opening day is, for me, a total non-event.  Dealing with parking and traffic in and out of Dodger Stadium is bad enough for a normal game, but it's such a nightmare on opening day, which always seems to be a day game.  Not this year, but it's often 90 degrees at game time, which I guess is preferable to what's happening in Chicago and some other cities at this time of year, but it's pretty miserable.  I went to an opening day around 20 years ago, and it kinda sucked, and you would be hard pressed to pay me enough to go to another one.  Also, because it's a day game, I find myself not paying attention.  And, of course, it's only 1 of 162 games.

What I'm really looking forward to is the return of Heidi Watney and Quick Pitch on the MLB Network.  Hopefully she'll be back full-time this year.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2019, 11:07:51 AM »
Sure to be wrong predictions

AL East - 1. Boston 2. New York 3. Toronto 4. Tampa Bay 5. Baltimore
AL Central - 1. Minnesota 2. Cleveland 3. Chicago 4. Detroit 5. Kansas City
AL West - 1. Houston 2. Oakland 3. Seattle 4. L.A. 5. Texas

NL East - 1. Atlanta 2. Philadelphia 3. Washington 4. New York 5. Miami
NL Central - 1. St. Louis 2. Milwaukee 3. Chicago 4. Cincinnati 5. Pittsburgh
NL West - 1. L.A. 2. Colorado 3. San Diego 4. San Francisco 5. Arizona

World Series - Houston over St. Louis

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
Yankees 1-0!

Nice stomping of the Birds.  :metal

I'll play along:

AL East - 1. NYY 2. Boston 3. Toronto 4. Tampa Bay 5. Baltimore
AL Central - 1. Cleveland 2. Detroit 3. Chicago 4. Minnesota 5. Kansas City
AL West - 1. Houston 2. Oakland 3. Texas 4. L.A. 5. Seattle

NL East - 1. Atlanta 2. Philadelphia 3. NYM 4. Washington 5. Miami
NL Central - 1. Chicago 2. St. Louis 3. Milwaukee 4. Cincinnati 5. Pittsburgh
NL West - 1. L.A. 2. Colorado 3. San Diego 4. Arizona 5. SFG

World Series - Yankees over Cubs

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
Just a ho-hum opener for the Brewers....

Yelich 3-run bomb.
Starting pitcher hits a HR.
Lorenzo Cain takes away a game tying HR for the final out.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 04:08:36 PM »
Bryce Harper is, at the moment, 0-3 with 2K.  The Phillies are up big, so maybe the boo-birds in Philly will give him a pass today.

Speaking of being up big, the Dodgers are pounding the Diamondbacks 7-1.  I heard the first couple innings while I was at lunch.  Dodger batters forced Zack Greinke to throw 30 pitches in the first inning and chased him after only 3.2 innings.  Meanwhile, Hyun Jin Ryu is through 6 with only 82 pitches and the only blemish being a solo HR by Adam Jones.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
Phillies offense is gonna be exciting this year!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2019, 06:50:43 PM »
Dodgers with 8 HR's!!! New OD record

I said I wasn't going to be a Marlins fan but dammit those colors are too good in the light.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2019, 11:07:45 AM »
Wow, Trout narrowly avoided an injury in the first game after signing for 430mil.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
Paul Goldschmidt ended the Brewers perfect season by hitting 3 HR's Friday night.

Maybe next year.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »
Just watched the show on MLB Network where Billy Ripkin spends time with big league coaches for a day in Spring Training. Holy shit was that an fantastic show. The segment with Ron Washington was particularly awesome

I'm sure they'll repeat it but if you get a chance to watch it, you really should.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
That Red Sox / Mariners game tho

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
Red Sox starting pitching is hot garbage so far in 2019.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2019, 04:44:03 PM »
Red Sox starting pitching is hot garbage so far in 2019.

Holy shit that is no lie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2019, 04:54:04 PM »
Major hangover.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
Major hangover.

It's just the starters though.

The offense and bullpen has been fine.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2019, 06:44:40 PM »
Yelich has homered in the Brewers first four games.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »
Yelich is off to a fantastic start.

Phillies start the season 3-0 by sweeping the defending division champs. Up next... Harper's return to D.C.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
Derek Jeter gift basket