Author Topic: 2019 MLB Thread  (Read 15179 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
2019 MLB Thread
« on: January 23, 2019, 06:33:40 PM »
I am not doing a poll!

Declare your allegiance in your first post in the thread!

Hot stove has been lukewarm this off season.
Top 3 FAs (Harper, Machado, Kimbrell) still unsigned.

HOF...Smith (deserved) and Baines(??) get in through back door
Rivera, Halliday, Edgar and Mussina get in
If Mussina gets in, why not Schilling? TAC stat comparison coming soon.

Can the Sox repeat? Mookie "avoids" arbitration with a 1 yr/$20mil deal.

Enjoy Peter Gammons while he is still alive. There is NO ONE better in ANY sport.

Harold Reynolds is growing on me like a fungus.

Oh, and TAC: Red Sox!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2019 MLB Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
I have not followed MLB closely for several years... so with that I say... Peter Gammons is still alive? Dang just looked him up, he is only 73. He looked 73 twenty years ago.

I am fond of Harold Reynolds, mainly because he is a former Mariner.

Speaking of... in 2019 the Mariners extend their streak of being the team with the longest playoff drought in the 4 major sports leagues.

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 12:15:55 AM »
Yankees fan since birth.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »
There's been a discussion the past few days about the HOF class in the 2017 thread (for some reason):  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=49536.175

I'm the youngest of five kids.  My father was born in Brooklyn.  All of my siblings were born on Long Island, and that's where the family lived until the late 1950s.  Almost immediately after the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles, my family moved from NY to CA (and then briefly back to NY before moving again to CA.  I came along in 1967, and some of my earliest memories are of watching Dodger games with my dad -- including the 1974 World Series, which was only two months before he died.

Needless to say, I bleed DODGER blue!!!

The Sox will or should be favored to repeat.  Did they lose anyone more significant than Joe Kelly?

The Dodgers will win the NL West again.  The Padres and Giants are trash, and the Diamondbacks seem to be having a fire sale despite being better than the Dodgers most of last season.  Only the Rockies seem likely to challenge the Dodgers.  No one else in the NL concerns me, so I think we'll have another season where whoever wins the AL pennant will be significantly favored over the NL winner.

The MLB Network is great, and I like (or at least don't dislike) pretty much all of their anchors.  Pedro Martinez and Harold Reynolds (in particular) do a great job breaking things down.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:16:13 PM »
YANKEES FAN FROM BIRTH. First game - 1979, Season ticket holder - 1998. Dad born in Brooklyn (not much of a sports fan), but my grandfather was a diehard Yankees fan. Born and raised on Long Island, you had two choices - Mets or Yanks. Despite the Mets being the better team in the mid-80s and early-90s, I stayed true to the Yanks. SO glad I wasn't swayed.

Favorite players (from when I first saw them) - Reggie Jackson, Don Mattingly, Derek Jeter, Aaron Judge.

2019 we take down the Red Sux and bring the WS trophy back home to the Bronx where it belongs. 10 years is way too long for this franchise.

In all seriousness though, its going to be tough for the Yankees to get to the World Series. Pitching has to be better, and we need more consistency from Stanton. And I really wish they would have moved lazy boy Sanchez. I can't stand that guy. He was a lazy bum in the minors, got reprimanded, worked to get right, and now here we are in the majors, and he did the same damn thing. Should have cut ties. Sure, I'll be happy if he catches decently, hits 30-35 homers and hits close to .300. I still don't want him.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:28:51 PM »
Dodgers fan since birth!  Three WS in a row baby, let's get it!

Miami's new look is interesting, but not enough to make me a fan.

AZ is getting turf this year.  That will be interesting to watch.

Some minor league teams have changed their names and look for this year too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:37:48 PM by dparrott »
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online T-ski

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 08:47:03 PM »
Brewers, Brewers, turning up the heat!

Just passed the one year anniversary of acquiring NL MVP Christian Yelich.

I also like a good beer.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 08:34:29 PM »
Let's go Reds!!  :metal :metal :metal
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
:GiantsMetal: :GiantsMetal: :GiantsMetal: :GiantsMetal:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »
The 2019 TAC Family Summer vacation is set!

2015: Dodger Stadium
2016: Coors Field Denver
2018: AT&T Park San Francisco

2019: Petco Park San Diego!!!!!!!!!!!!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 11:19:51 AM »
Let's go Reds!!  :metal :metal :metal

I'll be pulling for them -- specifically, Yasiel Puig (when they're not playing the Dodgers).  I have a bet with a co-worker that Puig will hit more homers this year than Bryce Harper.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 09:20:06 AM »
The 2019 TAC Family Summer vacation is set!

2019: Petco Park San Diego!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been to Petco a couple of times. I like it. I love San Diego. You guys will have a great time. Leave an entire day for the San Diego Zoo. Its so big, trust me, you'll need all day. Make sure to take some tours of the various ships that are docked. Pretty cool stuff. I felt the Gaslamp District is a little overrated.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »
RIP Frank Robinson.....one of the greats.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 01:42:51 PM »

Damn...he sure was!  Still the only player to win the MVP in both the NL and the AL, and twelve straight seasons at the start of his career with 20+ HR (followed by a 15 HR season and then six seasons with 19+ HR per year!).  Unquestionably among the best of the best in MLB history.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 10:26:17 PM »
I've been to Petco once, it's weird how it's right in the middle of downtown.  We're not used to that in L.A.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2019, 10:41:15 AM »

Amen.

Really looking forward to baseball season this year.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 08:51:01 PM »
Does anyone really believe this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-multiple-mlb-teams-offering-harper-over-dollar30m-per-year/ar-BBTJmeX?li=BBnba9I

I don't doubt it.  He wants the high annual salary AND an extremely long-term deal.  Teams are willing to give him the former but not the latter, and certainly not both.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »
Right, Heyman doesn't address the years in his reporting. He's a puppet for Boras.

He's obviously not getting the contract he's looking for, so lets float that a number of teams are offering $30M. I call bullshit.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
Machado to the Padres. 10 years 300 million....which of course averages out to 30 a year ..

You're up Harper

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:58:20 AM »
That's fucking crazy. I cannot believe he got that.

Over/Under on how many years before the Padres are regretting this deal. 3.5

Shame on me. I just didn't see it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 11:08:59 AM »

Good Lord. The dude is a good player and all but nowhere near ‘worth’ that. His attitude alone should’ve cut into his worth.

any bets that he gets ‘hurt’ this season?

I understand why you’d want to live in San Diego for 10 years....but playing in that ballpark for 10 years is a tough call as a player. Not statistically nice to the power numbers.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pg1067

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2019, 11:23:11 AM »

I'll take the over, but not by much.  That's just crazy.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2019, 12:30:02 PM »
Looks like there's an option after year 5. Not sure if it is player or team, or both. So, there's separation if its not working out.

But hey, if you're a 26-year-old and was told that you could spend at least 5 years, and up to 10, making 30 million a year and living in San Diego, you take that.

However, if Manny got this, you gotta believe that Harper is going to command 10/350. But who's gonna take that plunge? The Phillies? They seem to be the only logical team left, given that San Diego likely wouldn't put two 300+ million contracts on the payroll.

I could see the Yankees doing a 10/350, but ONLY with multiple team options. But that'd be overkill for sure. But hell, I'm just glad the Bombers didn't sign Manny. Harper at least hustles. My guess is he heads to Philadelphia or Chicago (White Sox). But I'd be ok if he wanted to come to the Bronx...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »
Red Sox

Tim, the only reason Mussina is getting in and Schilling isn’t is lib politics (no I’m not turning this into a pol/rel thread!). Schilling has expressed conservative views over the years and that’s a big no-no today. Curt was one of the 5 greatest post-season pitchers of all time. Baines election was a travesty, proven to be pure cronyism on the part of LaRussa et al.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2019, 08:31:54 AM »
Post-season numbers can help but only get you so far and I don't think the politics has anything to do with Schilling. Looking at the numbers he was a very good, borderline great at times, regular season pitcher but never crossed into that amazing territory. He had longevity and some defining moments (bloody sock) but he was just a sturdy workhorse that I wouldn't complain if he got in I just don't see a case where he has to get in.

Offline cygnusx1jg

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 02:17:44 PM »
Not a huge MLB fan, but there will be months where it's the "only game in town", so I think playing in a fantasy league will help. Should I go Yahoo Fantasy Baseball or is there a better one (for free) out there?
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 11:07:36 AM »
Tim, the only reason Mussina is getting in and Schilling isn’t is lib politics (no I’m not turning this into a pol/rel thread!). Schilling has expressed conservative views over the years and that’s a big no-no today. Curt was one of the 5 greatest post-season pitchers of all time. Baines election was a travesty, proven to be pure cronyism on the part of LaRussa et al.

Ummm...what?

Schilling is is a top-ten all-time postseason pitcher in wins and win-loss %.  Obviously, wins are skewed toward pitchers who have pitched since 1994 (only Whitey Ford and Dave Stewart are in the top 10 and didn't pitch into the wild card era (Dave Stewart ended his career in 1995 but didn't pitch in the postseason that year.  He's also died with about a billion others for 6th on the all-time shutout list with 2.

He is not top ten in ERA or WHIP or K9.

I'd rank tons of guys ahead of Schilling:  Rivera, Ruth, Koufax, Mathewson, Smoltz, Verlander, Clemens, Ford, and even Andy Petitte (I refuse to recognize a certain pitcher for a certain team in Northern California), to name just a handful.  Maybe Schilling cracks the top 10.

That said, if Mussina is in, Schilling should be too.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »
Fuck Machado

That is all.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 12:15:55 PM »
Red Sox

I think "conservative views" is underselling it a little bit. He's compared Muslims to nazis, trafficked in absurd conspiracy theories about school shooting survivors being crisis actors, and promoted transphobia. If he spent his retirement espousing run of the mill conservative ideas then we wouldn't be having this conversation because he would already be in. He clearly warrants inclusion based on his talent/career, but part of me doesn't blame the Hall for being leery of having "professional baseball hall of famer" attached to the next headline he generates.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2019, 01:17:36 PM »
I'm a Yankees fan, and a fan of Mike Mussina. Honestly, Moose is not a HOFer. I know he's in, but he shouldn't be. And neither should Schilling. Both of them are very good pitchers, particularly for their eras. But the Hall has been watered down so badly, it's not the Hall of Fame any longer. It's the Hall of Very Good.

Given THAT, if Moose is in, given the statistical comparisons, then Schilling should be in (although he can shove that bloody sock up his ass).

As for Schill's mouth and politics...I don't get into that shit. The guy was a fucking ace pitcher. I hated it when he was on the mound, as did most batters. He should be in, given today's watered down criteria (and Mattingly should be too, given who the Hall has put in recently - I honestly don't think Donnie baseball is Hall worthy, despite him being my favorite player...but the Hall is "Fame-light" these days, so why not).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
Phillies get Harper for 13 years 330 million!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 01:48:06 PM »
Phillies get Harper for 13 years 330 million!

Harper is a superstar for sure....and I don't even mind the yearly Salary that he'd be getting.....but 13 years guaranteed is just dumb. Plus, have fun with those fans Bryce when you're in a two or three game slump.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »
Dude has to have like five opt-outs in that deal. If he does't have at least a couple, he's dumb.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online T-ski

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 02:06:48 PM »
I'm sure Philly fans will be kind when he plays 87 games due to injury and bats .256 with 16 HR and 49 RBI's
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?