Author Topic: Tim Bowness - Butterfly Mind - NEW Release Date August 5th, 2022  (Read 1271 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Produced by no-man, “Flowers At The Scene” is a vibrant collection of 11 strikingly diverse songs. Against a backdrop of propulsive Art Rock, heartbreaking ballads and more, Tim Bowness distinctively delivers cinematic storytelling and disarmingly direct confessional lyrics on his strongest solo album to date.

Representing the duo of Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson’s first joint production in over a decade, the album features stunning performances from an extraordinary cast of players including Peter Hammill (Van Der Graaf Generator), Andy Partridge (XTC), Kevin Godley (10cc), Colin Edwin (Porcupine Tree), Jim Matheos (Fates Warning/OSI), David Longdon (Big Big Train), co-producer Brian Hulse (Plenty), Australian trumpeter Ian Dixon, and drummers Tom Atherton and Dylan Howe. The Curator, David K Jones, violinist Fran Broady and Charles Grimsdale also guest.

Mixed by Steven Wilson and mastered by Steve Kitch (The Pineapple Thief), the album’s poignant artwork is by Jarrod Gosling.
Tim Bowness is primarily known as vocalist/co-writer with no-man, a long-running collaboration with Steven Wilson. In addition to releasing six studio albums and a documentary DVD with no-man, Tim has worked with popular Italian artist Alice, Mercury Prize nominated Banco De Gaia, Robert Fripp, Peter Hammill and Roxy Music's Phil Manzanera (amongst many others).
Tim recorded the album “Flame” (1994) with Richard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree/ex-Japan), and co-produced/co-wrote “Talking With Strangers” (2009) for Judy Dyble (ex-Fairport Convention).

Release Date: March 1March 1 st , 2019

Bowness’s critically acclaimed recent trio of solo releases on InsideOutMusic/Sony have entered the official UK Top 10 Rock, Progressive, and Vinyl charts and 2017’s “Lost In The Ghost Light” appeared in several end of year lists and was the recipient of a Prog Magazine award.

TIM BOWNESS – Flowers At The Scene (42:57)
1. I Go Deeper (4:15)
2. The Train That Pulled Away (4:04)
3. Rainmark (feat. Jim Matheos) (04:15)
4. Not Married Anymore (feat. Dylan Howe) (03:30)
5. Flowers At The Scene (feat. Jim Matheos) (03:04)
6. It's The World (feat. Peter Hammill, Jim Matheos, Steven Wilson) (03:03)
7. Borderline (feat. Dylan Howe, David Longdon) (03:45)
8. Ghostlike (05:08)
9. The War On Me (03:47)
10. Killing To Survive (feat. Peter Hammill) (03:59)
11. What Lies Here (feat. Kevin Godley, Andy Partridge) (04:00)

Line-up (on this recording)
Tim Bowness - vocals, backing vocals, ukulele, trumpet and guitar loops
Guests:
Brian Hulse - synth/keyboards, guitar 1, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, drum programming 1, 4, 8, 9
Peter Hammill - guitar and vocals 6, backing vocals 10
James Matheos - guitar 3, 5, 6
Andy Partridge - guitar 11
Ian Dixon - trumpet 3, 7, 8
Aleksei Saks - looped trumpet 6
Colin Edwin - bass / double bass / fretless bass 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10
David K Jones - bass / double bass 4, 5, 8
Tom Atherton - drums 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 10
Dylan Howe - drums 4, 7
Charles Grimsdale - drums 8
Kevin Godley - vocals 11
David Longdon - backing vocals, flute, melodica 7
Steven Wilson - synth 6, additional drum programming
Alistair ‘The Curator’ Murphy - string arrangement 2
Fran Broady - Bridge 5 string electro-acoustic violin, octave violin 2, 10

Online:
http://timbowness.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/timbowness/
twitter.com/timbowness

With No-Man:
Loveblows And Lovecries (1993)
Flowermouth (1994)
Wild Opera (1996)
Returning Jesus (2001)
Together We’re Stranger (2003)
Schoolyard Ghosts (2008)

As solo artist:
My Hotel Year (2004)
Abandoned Dancehall Dreams (2014)
Stupid Things That Mean The World (2015)
Lost In The Ghost Light (2017)
Flowers At The Scene (2019)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 04:50:41 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tim Bowness - Flowers at the Scene - Release Date March 1st
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »
If anyone it's interested on reviewing this one, send me a PM

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
Is there really a need to start individual threads for all of these? Maybe we need a single "MinistroRaven's Call for Reviewers" thread.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 06:36:03 AM »
Watch the video for ‘I Go Deeper’, the first single from the album, here: https://youtu.be/ptY7m76xAps

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 07:17:47 AM »
There don't seem to be too many Tim Bowness fans here, but I'll post this anyway:

Tim Bowness will release his sixth solo recording, Late Night Laments (Inside Out Music / Sony), on August 28th, 2020.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and mastered by Calum Malcolm (The Blue Nile, Prefab Sprout), the album was co-produced by Bowness and Brian Hulse.
Richard Barbieri, Colin Edwin, Kavus Torabi, Tom Atherton and Evan Carson are amongst the guest musicians.
The artwork is once again by the award-winning Jarrod Gosling.
An emotionally charged and tightly focused album, LNL presents a collection of lush, atmospheric songs with a wide lyrical scope making it the most intimate yet universal of Bowness’s solo releases.

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/104777310_3474342965927687_5983942169101303810_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=2v9DpYlGIFIAX_71121&_nc_ht=scontent-vie1-1.xx&oh=c3c0dd90b72afd97511143534ad4c43e&oe=5F10FC9E

I love that it's ONE LP again. And the cover is amazing, as always when it comes to Tim's albums. I think he is one of the few people who connect their albums with the same layout, meaning f.e. that the artist and album name are always at the same spot.

I can't wait for this album!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline HOF

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »
I really enjoyed Bowness’s Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. I’ve been meaning to pick up Ghost Light, which I’ve liked from what I heard. Flowers at the Scene didn’t strike me when I listened to it. I don’t love his voice, so the music really has to hit me for me to want to listen to him. I’m sure I’ll at least stream this a few times to see if it connects with me.

Edit: Also Calum Malcolm mastering this is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 08:39:07 AM by HOF »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:01:25 AM »
I really enjoyed Bowness’s Abandoned Dancehall Dreams. I’ve been meaning to pick up Ghost Light, which I’ve liked from what I heard. Flowers at the Scene didn’t strike me when I listened to it. I don’t love his voice, so the music really has to hit me for me to want to listen to him. I’m sure I’ll at least stream this a few times to see if it connects with me.

Edit: Also Calum Malcolm mastering this is pretty cool.

Flowers consisted of incredibly well-crafted art pop songs. My favourite is probably the title track, with its strange ternary rhythm and the great guitar solo by Jim Matheos.

Lost In The Ghost Light was more melancholic and introverted and had that great underlying concept. It was somewhat more on the "prog-side" maybe, with the two 9 minute tracks.

I think Tim is very under-appreciated. His albums are always so well thought-through.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 09:44:54 AM »
Posted yesterday morning by Tim:

Due to logistical issues associated with the shipment of the new album, Butterfly Mind's release date has been pushed back to August 5th in order to provide more time to address this and get the album sent out in a timely manner. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause, but look forward to you finally hearing the record.
To tide you over before release, there will be 2 new tracks to hear in advance, as well as a special interview series where I will discuss the new album in detail.

Must be a huge issue to be delayed 8 weeks, but hopefully it all turns out okay.

-Marc.

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 08:18:08 AM »
Tim just shared that today is the 28th Anniversary of the no-man album Flowermouth, and a fan asked about older album re-issues. Here's what Tim had to say:

Yes. There'll be a comprehensive 'OLI Years' reissue programme in 2023. A box set (with copious extras) plus new LP, cassette and CD versions of the individual albums.

Looks like no-man fans will have something to look forward to next year!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 08:39:55 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 08:23:57 AM »
That's great to hear! Some no-man albums are really hard to find on 12".

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 04:49:35 PM »
News from June 15th:

“Today sees the launch of ‘Only A Fool’, the third track to be taken from the album. Written and produced by Tim and Brian Hulse (from Tim’s Liverpool-based 1980s Indie band, Plenty), the song is a dramatic and driving Post-Punk flavoured Electro-Rock piece about the dehumanising and divisive nature of social media discourse. Uncompromising and accessible, grand yet direct, Bowness says of the song, “Lyrically and musically, it’s a sometimes fractious and sometimes playful exploration of contradictions.”

The track features Magazine’s Dave Formula on synth and piano and a rhythm section comprising Richard Jupp (ex-Elbow) and Nick Beggs.”

Listen to the track here: https://youtu.be/k0ZJiIK1W5w

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tim Bowness - Butterfly Mind - NEW Release Date August 5th, 2022
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 04:51:46 PM »
Listen to the previously released singles below.
Always The Stranger: https://youtu.be/PbCkXmliRJE
Dark Nevada Dream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWZ7ABPAa5I 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 04:52:25 PM »
Butterfly Mind will be available as a Limited 2CD Edition (incl. alternative mixes and outtakes), as well as a Limited Edition 180g LP+CD featuring a striking die-cut artwork by Carl Glover. Burning Shed have an exclusive green vinyl edition, and you can pre-order now here: https://timbowness.lnk.to/ButterflyMind

Tim’s seventh solo album - his sixth for InsideOutMusic / Sony - features the rhythm section of Richard Jupp (ex-Elbow) and Nick Beggs alongside a spectacular guest list including Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull), Dave Formula (Magazine), Peter Hammill (Van Der Graaf Generator), Martha Goddard (The Hushtones), Gregory Spawton (Big Big Train), Mark Tranmer (The Montgolfier Brothers / GNAC), Saro Cosentino (Franco Battiato), Italian Jazz musician Nicola Alesini, US singer Devon Dunaway (Ganga), Stephen W Tayler (Kate Bush) and, marking his first studio work with Tim for nearly three decades, former No-Man violinist Ben Coleman

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2022, 08:52:58 AM »
Today (YESTERDAY) sees the launch of ‘Glitter Fades’, the fourth track to be released from the album. Watch the video here now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cwUBwOOloE