(Love Me Like Music) I'll Be Your Song
What About Love
Even It Up
Back on Black II
All I Wanna Do Is Make Love to You
Who Will You Run To
Never

Voting closes: November 02, 2024, 09:52:53 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite of these songs by Heart  (Read 1030 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorite of these songs by Heart
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:52:53 PM »
You can vote for up to 6.

I went with:

Mistral Wind
Magic Man
Dreamboat Annie
These Dreams
Dream of the Archer
There's the Girl

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favorite of these songs by Heart
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 08:56:13 PM »
I went with:

Black on Black II (note the correct title)
Crazy on You

And for nostalgia's sake:
Alone (probably one of my favorite middle school era ballads).
Never
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
Barracuda
Crazy On You
Alone (amazing performance even though it's a cover)
These Dreams
Black On Black II

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 09:14:42 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:12:36 PM »
Missing their best song IMHO..."Love Alive" :hefdaddy

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 01:55:01 AM »
Oh, I love Heart. I couldn't choose, I just picked 6 at random. They're all good.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 02:12:36 AM »
You all should hear Floor Jansen's (technically, After Forever) version of Alone. Seriously.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 02:25:11 AM »
You all should hear Floor Jansen's (technically, After Forever) version of Alone. Seriously.
:tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 02:57:11 AM »
I'll add an obscure one.  The ending track on 'Bebe le Strange' titled 'Rockin' Heaven Down'. 
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 08:35:30 AM »
I picked "Dream Of The Archer" and "Mistral Wind", but I could have picked any six.   Even the "poppy" stuff, Ann Wilson elevates every single time.

I get it, there are only so many spaces, but you missed a really egregious one:  "Wait For An Answer" off Bad Animals.  I've heard that song 100 times and it makes the hair on my arm stand up to this day.  That vocal performance is just... breathtaking.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 01:25:14 PM »
Magic Man
Barracuda
Crazy on You
These Dreams
What About Love
Never

The first three rock, and the last three are a combo of nostalgia for a particular time in my life and they're just really well done songs.  I remember being really surprised when I learned that Nancy had done the lead vocals on These Dreams.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 02:13:46 PM »
Magic Man
Barracuda
Crazy on You
These Dreams
What About Love
Never

The first three rock, and the last three are a combo of nostalgia for a particular time in my life and they're just really well done songs.  I remember being really surprised when I learned that Nancy had done the lead vocals on These Dreams.

Exactly that. 

On a side note, I have never really understood the fawning over Ann's vocals.  I mean, there's nothing wrong with her vocals.  I think she's a very good singer.  But I would never go beyond "very good" to describe her.  Not sure what the deal is.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 06:46:22 PM »

I get it, there are only so many spaces, but you missed a really egregious one:  "Wait For An Answer" off Bad Animals.  I've heard that song 100 times and it makes the hair on my arm stand up to this day.  That vocal performance is just... breathtaking.

Good tune, but, yeah, there was only room for so many songs.  I had Bad Animals on cassette back then and listened to Side 1 more times than I can remember.

I remember being really surprised when I learned that Nancy had done the lead vocals on These Dreams.

I love the fact that she had a cold when recording the vocals; it added character to her vocal.  The first chorus when she hits the word "second," you can totally tell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »
Magic Man
Barracuda
Crazy on You
These Dreams
What About Love
Never

Exactly that. 

On a side note, I have never really understood the fawning over Ann's vocals.  I mean, there's nothing wrong with her vocals.  I think she's a very good singer.  But I would never go beyond "very good" to describe her.  Not sure what the deal is.

It's like trying to explain why a girl is hot.   But I know for me, she always seems to have another 'gear' when the song needs it.  "Wait For An Answer"; at the end you can understand that she's hurt and in pain, and just when you're starting to accept that, she kicks in to that last chorus - "Where are you? ..." and you can just FEEL it.  Few singers - I mean three or four, tops - can give me goose bumps, but she's one of them.  I also point to her version of Stairway... from the Kennedy Center.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
I am not one to be KEV YOU LEFT OFF MY FAVORITE SONG!!! and I respect that he left it off possibly because it is a cover, but my favorite Heart song is The Battle of Evermore.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 06:15:48 PM »
I try not to include covers in these polls, although I will on very rare occasions.  Heart has enough good songs of their own without having to waste a spot on a cover. ;)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 06:19:52 PM »
I try not to include covers in these polls, although I will on very rare occasions.  Heart has enough good songs of their own without having to waste a spot on a cover. ;)

Alone is a cover - originally released on i-Ten's album Taking A Cold Look  ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 06:22:06 PM »

See the bolded above. :P

And if a cover is a big hit for the band I am featuring, like Alone was for Heart, I will make that exception nearly every time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
I only knw Heart from the radio growing up. I don't know any album cuts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 06:39:24 PM »

See the bolded above. :P

And if a cover is a big hit for the band I am featuring, like Alone was for Heart, I will make that exception nearly every time.

All good  :D   A lot of people don't realise that Alone is a cover of an already released song (as distinct from just outside writers involved)  so I wasn't sure the context in which it was listed.   I quite like that i-Ten album but Alone isn't one of the better songs on it - based on their performance.   Of course Heart's version takes it to a whole new level.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 12:22:28 PM »

Don't forget the John Stamos/Valerie Stevenson version!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung