Poll

Does Tony Iommi deserve to be among the guitar greats?

Yes
57 (82.6%)
No
9 (13%)
Unsure
3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Does Tony Iommi deserve to be among the guitar greats?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Does Tony Iommi deserve to be among the guitar greats?
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2018, 03:56:16 AM »
nevermind.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2018, 04:19:26 AM »
Yes someone would have come along, down tuned, invented metal, but they didn't, Iommi did.
He also has played with a significant handicap of two fingertips missing.
The most unique thing about Iommi is, nobody and I mean not one other guitarist sounds like him.
They can play his riffs, his signature guitar, his amp, but that sound is his and his alone.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2018, 05:28:42 AM »
They can play his riffs, his signature guitar, his amp, but that sound is his and his alone.

This is what makes him stand out above the rest.  This trumps technical ability.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2018, 07:38:48 AM »
Saying Iommi's playing isn't technical is like saying Alexander Graham Bell's telephone isn't technical.

Not bad actually. Compared to what was happening at the time, the telephone was very technical. Compared to Iphones, however, not so much. Similar to Tony.

Exactly my point.

"Hoy, hoy.   Bell here.  This is number one.  You want number two."   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2018, 07:44:04 AM »
I get it, about the technical ability; I can play just about anything from the first four records, and that should tell you all you need to know.   But I think it's more than that.   The way he put disparate pieces together (look at War Pigs; there isn't just the main riff, there are like five or six cool, independent pieces in there that all fit together nicely).    Plus the material in the later Ozzy years was, in my humble opinion, very prog, and when you consider that most of that was made by two guys - Geezer and Tony - it's pretty miraculous.

We forget, too, that he was the guy in Tull for a while (well, two weeks) so at some point he was considered by his peers to be a player of some note and capability.

I'm loathe to judge players by what goes on record.    There are guys - Iommi is one of them, Angus Young is another - that I just think have a bigger picture in mind.   I have no doubt that they COULD play other things, but if you look at the sort of troubled history of Sabbath post Mob Rules, what was the incentive to do anything different?   If anything, at that point he doubled down on the "Riffmaster General" crap (especially when Dio was in the band) and I think it hurt him.  It's not what you think of when you think "SABBATH" but I think some of the stuff on Never Say Die! is really, really interesting playing.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 10:32:52 AM »
WildRanger, can you please give me an explanation in why he wouldn't be a guitar great?

Creator of metal as we know it.  A riff machine where riffs like Children of the Grave, Into the Void, Under the Sun, Black Sabbath, Symptom of the Universe, Iron Man etc. are still heavier than anything released today.

While not being a full blown shredder, his leads are melodic with lots of feel and purpose, with a jazz background that shows at times.  I look at Tony's guitar career more like the Ozzy era is where his riffs are dominant and then from Heaven and Hell through to the end of the Tony Martin era is where while his riffs still are Godly, his lead playing really started to shine.  Lonely is the Word, Over and Over, Born to Lose, Kill in the Spirit World, Keep It Warm, Devil and Daughter, Glory Ride, Jerusalem plus many more all have some of my fav solos ever.

Amen, Brother.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
Thankfully guitar isn't played in a vacuum.

You sound like no one else and write music unheard before, you get to join Iommi and roughly 250 other immortals.

You reach the peak of technicality and you join 25000000 anonymous finger athletes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 03:05:06 PM »
Thankfully guitar isn't played in a vacuum.

Say what?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
You sound like no one else and write music unheard before, you get to join Iommi and roughly 250 other immortals.

You reach the peak of technicality and you join 25000000 anonymous finger athletes.

And half of them are 10 years old kids whose YouTube account have more followers than your Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages combined, who are better than you anyway.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
Obviously he does, and we've yet to hear from any of the [now 6] no votes. I will say I agree about his technical limitations, and they actually do matter, though. To go back to what Kev wrote, no, you don't need to be able to play 4600 notes per minute. It does help if you're able to if that's what the song calls for, though. Tony got by incredibly well by not needing to do that. Were he able that might well have made him an even better guitarist. It's another tool in the box and therefore counts as a limitation.

Also, since Wolfking made his list, I was always fond of the Ancient Warrior solo. It has a wonderful Gilmouresque quality.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 05:14:04 PM »
We forget, too, that he was the guy in Tull for a while (well, two weeks) so at some point he was considered by his peers to be a player of some note and capability.

I never knew that!

Actually, I suppose it's possible that I did know it at one time and then forgot it, which would be the same as thinking I never knew it in the first place.  Interesting...  Maybe I did forget it, and then forgot that I forgot it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 06:52:07 AM »

I never knew that!

Actually, I suppose it's possible that I did know it at one time and then forgot it, which would be the same as thinking I never knew it in the first place.  Interesting...  Maybe I did forget it, and then forgot that I forgot it.

Find the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus; he appeared with Tull (though if memory serves, he mimed). 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »

I never knew that!

Apparently he did two appearances with them right around the time they began in 1968. Not sure I'd read a whole lot into that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2018, 05:15:20 AM »
Also, since Wolfking made his list, I was always fond of the Ancient Warrior solo. It has a wonderful Gilmouresque quality.

How the hell did I miss this?  That harmonic minor section right at the start of the solo is all class, and shows a bit more to Tony's playing and knowledge than what we are used to.

I agree too, technical limitations can be somewhat of a disadvantage at times escpecially on the type of album like Dehumanizer where some nice shred would probably work well, but for the most part, I haven't really thought that Tony's lack in that area has hurt the band or their sound in any way. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2018, 07:00:10 AM »
Honestly - and I'm not making the case for Iommi technically here - but that he DIDN'T shred there is why I still LOVE Sabbath and yet don't listen to very many of the imitators.     

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2018, 11:59:41 AM »
I will say I agree about his technical limitations, and they actually do matter, though. To go back to what Kev wrote, no, you don't need to be able to play 4600 notes per minute. It does help if you're able to if that's what the song calls for, though. Tony got by incredibly well by not needing to do that. Were he able that might well have made him an even better guitarist. It's another tool in the box and therefore counts as a limitation.

But they never wrote songs that called for shredding, thus it wasn't ever an issue. Greg Maddux didn't have a 98 MPH fastball in his toolbox. Was it a limitation? Maybe, Did it hamper his career, possibly, but not to any large extent. Tony could have been an "even better guitarist" but only marginally.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2019, 04:41:10 PM »
I voted yes....a thousand times yes. If just for the riffs alone......they are so haunting and compelling.

But I think wolfking explained his depth as a guitarist as well. So many of his solos are top notch.......seeing him live completely confirmed that for me. There are only certain guitarists who can move me emotionally....he is definitely one of them. So from where I stand, that puts him in the elite guitar-playing stratosphere.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2019, 02:16:45 PM »
Yeah, that was a cool little read.