Author Topic: TRUE DETECTIVE - Season 3  (Read 4814 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
TRUE DETECTIVE - Season 3
« on: January 14, 2019, 07:35:57 AM »
Anyone planning to watch? I watched the first episode last night....it was pretty good. It has a very cool vibe going on....definitely more of a vibe in the line of season 1.

The way they are telling this story is pretty neat....it's taking place in three different stages of time. There are (2) episodes available to view but I got sleepy.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: TRUE DETECTIVE - Season 3
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 07:49:12 AM »
I'll definitely watch, but I don't think I am gonna renew my HBO sub until the whole season is done. Netflix has spoiled me, where I just want to watch the whole season at once.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 08:22:24 AM »
Netflix has spoiled me, where I just want to watch the whole season at once.

Totally get it. I think it's spoiled a ton of people. It's nice to be able to watch a whole season of 'whatever'. But, I don't mind going back to the 'normal' way of watching every now and then 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:44:37 AM »
Honestly I gave up on S02 and never finished it. It never really clicked for me like S01 but i'll give this a chance.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:55 AM »
Honestly I gave up on S02 and never finished it. It never really clicked for me like S01 but i'll give this a chance.

As I mentioned....I've only watched (1) episode BUT.....it has the 'feel' of season 1. The way they're telling this story gives me the sense that this is going to be a pretty good season.

Season 2 felt 'forced'....the story was pretty bland.....it just never felt 'real'. Season 1 felt 'real' and that is what I sense from even just one episode of season 3. It feels 'real' and it's grabbed me right off the bat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
I didn't watch but I plan on checking it out. 

Totally get it. I think it's spoiled a ton of people. It's nice to be able to watch a whole season of 'whatever'. But, I don't mind going back to the 'normal' way of watching every now and then 

I like both, sure it's fun to watch an entire show quickly, but also some shows are just great to watch and over analyze until the next episode.  Game of Thrones is a good one and so is True Detective.  There's typically a lot going on so I like to rewatch and then read into it.  You typically don't take the time to do that when you binge watch and therefore often miss out of the small details.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 09:24:30 AM »
You typically don't take the time to do that when you binge watch and therefore often miss out of the small details.

Yep. This is one of the downsides of the binge watch. SO much info. at once it all kind of muttles together and you may miss some of the finer nuances of the writing/acting etc. etc.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »
Saw the first two episodes and while it's trying to get back to the feel of Season 1 the leads just aren't as interesting as Rusty. The story feels a bit tame at the moment and I'm not really drawn to the backstories. I'll likely check out another episode or two but if it doesn't really pick up I'm not sure I'll continue with it.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:17:56 PM »
I enjoyed the first two episodes. After the first episode I though they were loosely basing the story on the West Memphis Three case but after the second episode that seemed less certain. Interested to see what develops.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 06:37:30 AM »
Saw the first two episodes and while it's trying to get back to the feel of Season 1 the leads just aren't as interesting as Rusty. The story feels a bit tame at the moment and I'm not really drawn to the backstories. I'll likely check out another episode or two but if it doesn't really pick up I'm not sure I'll continue with it.

Aw man....I’m the opposite. Not that I think that there’s a character on the show that’s on par with Rust Cohle.....that was a performance that will never be matched.....but I do think the story is interesting and the actors/actresses are doing an excellent job.

The tone of the show is much better than season 2. I accept the fact that Season 1 is the gold standard to which any season will be compared to....but this season thus far has held it’s own quite well.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
The way they let Wayne Hays break the 4th wall during the flashbacks, was that something they did in previous seasons because I can't remember but somehow it's feels familiar?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online faizoff

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »
First two episodes were amazing, Ali and Dorff's acting was flawless. I'm a little hesitant to speculate anything on how events unfold since I find most of the joy of watching this show is not having that much of an idea of how things will unfold. I like the story tidbits we have so far and am very intrigued with the timelines. Great start so far.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 03:23:52 PM »
The way they let Wayne Hays break the 4th wall during the flashbacks, was that something they did in previous seasons because I can't remember but somehow it's feels familiar?

No....this show hasn’t done that. But I like it.....it drives home the fact that we’re seeing a memory and not ‘reality’......which also adds the aspect of everything we’re seeing there may not be 100% accurate. Which...I think is an underlying theme. A lot has been made of memories and recalling those memories.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 03:31:35 PM »
Ah ok, yea I like it too. Only seen one episode but I enjoyed it.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »
Three episodes in, and though it's not as good as the original, that's an awfully high bar to reach.  So far, it's coming pretty close.

btw...was there a season 2? ;)  Made it through five episodes, which was at least two too many.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 11:18:21 PM »
Three episodes in, and though it's not as good as the original, that's an awfully high bar to reach.  So far, it's coming pretty close.

Agreed. It’s a foregone conclusion that Season 1 was just an incredible show/effort by all involved. Gonna be tough to ever top it.....especially since it’s greatness has now compounded with the ‘lore’ surrounding it.

That being said, this season thus far has been right up there with it. I love the feel and tone of the show.....the acting by all 8nvolved has been on point......and I’m very intrigued by the story.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »
Pretty awesome. There's no way the series will ever reach season 1 levels of intrigue and cohesion. A lot of people don't realize that a huge force behind season 1 was Cary Joji Fukunaga. Having an entire season (or series) directed by one man makes such a massive, incredible difference that it's night and day. Directors are fucking assholes, they control and/or want to control EVERYTHING. Sometimes....only sometimes, giving a man who is talented enough that kind of control is the magic recipe, and that is the kind of director that CJF is. We'll never have that kind of synchronicity again, that might as well be a fact. To me, it is; because there's no two people in this world that have the same mindset or ideals. You can come close, but that slight difference in thought processes is going to change things. A lot.

That said, this season does it's best to replicate the utterly, painfully original and isolated experience that True Detective S1 was. S1 might as well hold the mantle for the TD name, and to many it does (myself included). This won't get there for the reason alone that it has different ideals and perspectives on what it "should" be behind it, referring to the directors. It's kind of like trying to replicate a menu of meals created by a singular genius chef by taking a bunch of really good chefs that all have different backgrounds. That one chef has such a mindset that no one can come close to creating his own very experienced, very delicate menu. Those other chefs...sure, they're good, but they're all different minds with different tastes and styles and ideals behind what they want to create. It's just not going to happen. It's not even that it "can" happen. It fuckin' WON'T.  :lol

Anyway, it's interesting and fun, for sure. I just don't get why HBO can't pay up to get Fukunaga back. But I'm saying that as an ignorant outside source. Fukunaga probably has a lot more integrity than to be swayed by money and if he doesn't have the innovation or motivation, he'll say fuck it (is what I'm thinking). Or someone else of that calibur. But having different directors for a multitude of episodes IMMEDIATELY kills my hope for the series, quite honestly. After S1, it's just so painfully obvious that the need for a singular mind, a singular vision and very concentrated view is absolutely necessary. This is just an imitation. Probably. But I'd LOVE to be proven wrong. It's hopeful so far though! It's got my interest and that's more than what S2 had in even the halfway point. (Actually by the halfway point I was like "Okay this is American Horror Story all over again"  :facepalm: )
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 07:57:31 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 04:41:12 AM »
Also heavily into season 3. Great acting and the story is interesting enough. Noticed in the credits  both Harrelson and Mc Conaghey are involved in this show as executive producers.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 02:55:23 PM »
I didn't watch but I plan on checking it out. 

I like both, sure it's fun to watch an entire show quickly, but also some shows are just great to watch and over analyze until the next episode.  Game of Thrones is a good one and so is True Detective.  There's typically a lot going on so I like to rewatch and then read into it.  You typically don't take the time to do that when you binge watch and therefore often miss out of the small details.
Completely agreed. :tup

Need to catch up, only watched first episode so far but it was brilliant. Season 2 was so meh for me overall, but this had everything I loved about season 1. Excited for the rest of the season.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 08:06:45 AM »
Another fantastic episode!

Why do I get the feeling the killer/kidnapper is staring us right in the face?

Online faizoff

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 08:10:31 PM »
Such an amazing set of episodes so far. Goes without saying that I hate waiting so long between episodes.
Not sure if it's just me but when you're so engrossed in the dialogue and just paying attention the entire time, the episode just flies by even though this was the longest one yet.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 04:57:26 AM »
Such an amazing set of episodes so far. Goes without saying that I hate waiting so long between episodes.
Not sure if it's just me but when you're so engrossed in the dialogue and just paying attention the entire time, the episode just flies by even though this was the longest one yet.

Agreed, loving this season so far. Whod'a'thunk? that waiting 7 days is a long time between episodes. Thanks a lot streaming sights, now we're all spoiled. When I'm into a show that's sitting there, I can't even think about waiting a week to watch the next episode....it's BOOM done, unless something of higher priority arises.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:02 AM »
I'm not reading through the recent comments, just coming back in to say I watched Episode 1 last night and immediately liked it more than season 2. I'm in, I like the 3 way time line in this so far and while sure the missing teenagers seems like something we've seen before, I'm intrigued for sure.  I expect to catch up by the end of the week and then I'll come back so I am not spoiled.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 03:14:30 PM »
Damn this season is such a great return to form. Everything about it is so compelling.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 12:41:37 AM »
Watched 5 episodes this week and now I can't wait for the next to be released.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 05:49:39 PM »
Watched 5 episodes this week and now I can't wait for the next to be released.

Going to watch the 5th tonight, but damn I am loving this after watching the first 4 last week.  Actually gave me something to look forward to while returning to my hotel each night on my business trip. 

Absolutely loving the 3 time lines and now seeing more characters, Roland, and his progression through the timelines.  It's a story that is pretty interesting and intriguing.  Feels much more like season 1 and the actors are great so far.  Really makes season 2 feel like it's not only in the past, but the forgetful past.  THIS is what True Detective is all about IMO.  Fantastic TV.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 08:17:31 PM »
I had legit tears in my eyes from the last 10 minutes of this recent episode (ep 5) so freaking good.

Mahershala Ali has been awesome as Wayne BUT can we give some love to Stephen Dorff as well? That dude has been incredible as Roland. They’ve both been great together and that’s why this shoe feels like it’s returned to form. Harrelson and Mconahay were a perfect fit and Ali and Dorff have been as well.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 12:04:33 AM »
I had legit tears in my eyes from the last 10 minutes of this recent episode (ep 5) so freaking good.

Mahershala Ali has been awesome as Wayne BUT can we give some love to Stephen Dorff as well? That dude has been incredible as Roland. They’ve both been great together and that’s why this shoe feels like it’s returned to form. Harrelson and Mconahay were a perfect fit and Ali and Dorff have been as well.

Yeah, that was an awesome scene, finally together at that age timeline. Great episode in all! Can't wait see what's coming. :tup

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
Yup, was looking forward to seeing those two in the latest timeline, definitely an emotional meet up.  Now that I am all caught up I just want to keep watching and not have to wait for another episode

Online faizoff

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
The acting by everyone has been through the roof this season. Scooty McNairy is fantastic, goes without saying the two detectives are outstanding and their chemistry together is a joy to watch.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »
Is it even necessary to come into this thread and say how awesome this show has been this season? Another fantastic episode....they'd dropped enough clues thus far to where the reveal at the end of the last episode wasn't unexpected....but still a bit of a 'wow...ok' type moment.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2019, 01:52:58 PM »
Is it even necessary to come into this thread and say how awesome this show has been this season? Another fantastic episode....they'd dropped enough clues thus far to where the reveal at the end of the last episode wasn't unexpected....but still a bit of a 'wow...ok' type moment.

Yeah.... just saw the sixth episode. Why do we have to wait another week for the next!!!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2019, 08:22:27 PM »
^
To let it sink in, so that we have time to think and dwell on it a bit more.  It deserves it.

A+++++++

A recap for the season up through Episode 6 (no spoilers for those who are caught up).  It helps put some of the pieces into place.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/tv/2019/2/10/18217465/true-detective-season-3-episode-6-recap
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:13:07 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:17 AM »
^^^ That's a great breakdown of the season thus far.

If I had to guess I'd say Wayne and Roland figure it out that it's the Hoyt family....get to the pink room.....kill Harris and hide him and set Julie free....free to run away and hide from it all. That'd explain why 'modern day' Roland is so worried/curious as to why Wayne still wants to figure this out after 'what they did'....and why he's always asking about what he's told the camera crew.

All I know for certain is that this show has completely washed away the bad taste I had for it after season 2....this feels like the second season....a perfect compliment to season 1.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 11:37:50 AM »
Watched last night and just loving it, another great episode.  One thing I haven't done since I watched quickly instead of every week, is read into each episode so I didn't pick up all the clues to have a good idea going into that episode, but I'm reading some stuff this morning and it all makes sense.  Looking forward to seeing the last two episodes and having it all wrapped up.  A fantastic season of this show, I hope Pizzolatto has more stories up his sleave like this and season 1 to make a 4th.