Author Topic: TRUE DETECTIVE - Season 3  (Read 4817 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: TRUE DETECTIVE - Season 3
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 01:24:17 PM »
Just one more episode now.... last one was soo good I didn't want it to end.... espescially when it did

Love how it tied in too

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 10:05:16 PM »
Just one more episode now.... last one was soo good I didn't want it to end.... espescially when it did

Love how it tied in too

I’m gonna be that guy and say it......this season is arguably better than season one. I love season one....it was incredible......but this season has been just as good if not better. The way they are telling this story with the different eras of time tied in to Wayne’s dementia.....it’s pretty friggin awesome.

Plus the acting is as every bit as good as season one.....and I’m giving the edge to the combo of Ali and Dorf. Mconahay and Harrelson were good but Mconahay carried them. Both Ali and Dorf are freaking amazing in this season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
you're missing one, no make that two, very important arguments in favor of season 1

:biggrin:
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2019, 10:39:42 PM »
you're missing one, no make that two, very important arguments in favor of season 1

:biggrin:

That was an incredible scene. But alas......I’d still give the nod to this season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
Tonight.....can't wait  :metal    I love the fact they've crafted this season in such a way to where we kind of 'know' what's going on and what happened....but still have no concrete idea as to the how's and why's.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2019, 09:33:33 AM »
Well put...looking forward to this with great anticipation. I hope ALL of the ‘hows’ and ‘whys’ are covered.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »
Since people will be checking in here a bit this week....we know of Mahershala Ali in 'Moonlight' 'Green Book', 'House of Cards', etc...

Well, we had a pleasant surprise last night:  we watched 'Backbeat' from 1994, focusing on The Beatles of 60-62.  It centered around Astrid Kirchherr, played by Sheryl Lee, and Stuart Sutcliffe, played by none other than Stephen Dorff.  Damn well done, mostly accurate (maybe an event or two were slightly combined due to time constraints), and something I wish 'Bohemian Rhapsody' had been. 

Highly recommended.

(will watch the finale tomorrow night....damn Oscars!)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2019, 08:30:51 PM »
I knew I was gonna be disappointed by the ending...
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »

Aw man..... I totally dug the ending. Loved the finale episode as well.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2019, 07:39:39 AM »

Aw man..... I totally dug the ending. Loved the finale episode as well.

I thought it was a really cool way to wrap up everything. I quite enjoyed the entire finale episode too. Don’t want to elaborate more due to spoiling.  :tup

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
I liked the fact that:

Hayes 'solved' the case.....even though he doesn't 'know' he did. I thought that was really well done. I think that Julie 'knew' who he was as they hinted at that with a couple of her facial expressions....but all in all I thought that was a perfect way to handle this. Ameliea's 'ghost' or memory or whatever that helped Wayne work out what actually happened was pretty neat. And, I liked the second to last scene of Wayne on the porch with everyone. That final scene was a bit chilling as well and kind of perfect....Wayne back in the jungle...alone....kind of symbolic of his condition. I'm taking that to mean that the final zoom in on his eye meant the disease overtook him and he may never know anything ever again?

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2019, 07:58:22 AM »
As I come across more individuals directly affected by Alzheimer's, this series did something that should be highly praised.  They led on with a despicable undertone of pedophilia and trafficking.  They took a whole different approach to a 'scary' situation.  They scared us with the ultimate, realistic mindf*ck.....that of losing one's own mind.

And hat's off to Ali and Dorff.  Hays and Roland are characters that will never be forgotten.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2019, 08:12:05 AM »
And hat's off to Ali and Dorff.  Hays and Roland are characters that will never be forgotten.

They're performance's were every bit as good....I'd argue better.....than McConaughey's in Season 1. Dorff especially surprised me with that performance. I had no idea he had that type of ability.

As I come across more individuals directly affected by Alzheimer's, this series did something that should be highly praised.  They led on with a despicable undertone of pedophilia and trafficking.  They took a whole different approach to a 'scary' situation.  They scared us with the ultimate, realistic mindf*ck.....that of losing one's own mind.

And, I think that is why we got the 'resolution' we did with the actual Purcel case. Even Haye's says to Roland after they found out...."I don't feel like I have any closure". It's because like you mentioned....this season wasn't about a police case.....it was about a horrific disease that slowly murders someone...taking all they've ever had.

Online faizoff

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2019, 08:38:47 PM »
Spoilers for the finale...

I completely understand if a majority of people felt underwhelmed by the finale. The buildup was so great throughout the entire season that I'm sure everyone was hoping for either a dark twist or major confrontation of sorts in the end.
I definitely loved the happy ending. There were quite a few red herrings thrown in especially with two cliffhanger episodes, I think sometimes there isn't much to the story and while that can seem like an easy way out or not a satisfying conclusion I personally don't mind it. And on reflection, not everything is happy since Julie's dad seemed to have suffered so much and I don't know if it really was suicide or a staged one. I'm unclear on what happened to Scooty McNairy after he saw Julie in the pink room.

On the other hand we were treated to an amazing season of top class acting by the two main leads. I personally think Stephen Dorff is the silent MVP of the season, we all know Ali can act so no real surprise there, but Steven Dorff and Scooty's performance was off the charts and also on another level.

All in all I'm satisfied with the season, I look forward to rewatching it and grab the boxset when it comes out.

Favorite part of that episode was Roland getting into a fight in the bar. The dialogue was hilarious!
Another thought I had was that that last part of zooming into Hays' eye was him dying and the last couple of things he remembered was his proposal to Amelia and the exit to the door with the bright white light sorta alludes to it. I do wonder though if the shot of him being in Vietnam was a nod to his personal hell.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:57:09 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 09:08:05 PM »
I definitely believe that shot that zoomed into his eye at the end was the disease taking it’s final hold on him....it was written on his face......and I too believe that memory of him proposing to Amelia was his final memory.

I think the jungle shot was both his personal hell as you said and a symbolic gesture of that hell.....just him.....alone.....wandering in a strange unfamiliar land.....

And there’s no doubt that Steve Dorf was the MVP. As I said earlier.....I had no idea he had those type of acting chops. He freaking killed it. That’s why I put this season above Season 1. You had three actors....shoot four if you count Amelia’s actress.....that just were incredible this season. Season 1 was all McCanoughey and stellar action. Harrelson was OK but he basically played the same character he plays in 90% of his movies. Dorf was fantastic in this.....as was Ali.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
My coworker had been bitching about the finale saying he thought it was anti-climatic and I hadn't had a chance to watch so during lunch today we watched it.  I enjoyed the ending.  It made sense and I was a bit surprised honestly with the "shes dead" and "well no she's not dead" kind of shift there and of course the whole memory loss part was just icing on the cake on how good of a story this was and how well it was portrayed by the actors.  :clap: bravo True Detective, fantastic season

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2019, 04:54:19 AM »
Yeah totally loved the ending and the whole series. Finally ready to start into season two, I guess.   :biggrin:
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »
Finally ready to start into season two, I guess.   :biggrin:

Good luck with that. I hope you dig it....it’s got a whole different vibe that Season 1 and Season 3.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2019, 08:48:40 AM »
Gotta admit, upon first watch, I was underwhelmed with the finale.

But after pondering it a little, and rewatching it, I liked it a lot more.

Kudos to Michael Rooker, who is always good in everything, no matter how small his role.

And someone give an award of some kind to Stephen Dorff.  He did an incredible job in this role, especially compared to his previous body of work.  When he called that guy a cyclops in the finale, I almost lost it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2019, 09:00:45 AM »
Kudos to Michael Rooker, who is always good in everything, no matter how small his role.

And someone give an award of some kind to Stephen Dorff.  He did an incredible job in this role, especially compared to his previous body of work.  When he called that guy a cyclops in the finale, I almost lost it.

Agreed on both points here. Michael Rooker pretty much nails whatever role he’s cast in.

And I wholeheartedly agree that there needs to be some sort of widespread recognition for what Dorf did with this character he played. He was every bit as on point as Ali was....maybe even better at times given Roland West’s range of emotion was ‘different’ than Wayne Hays.

I still love yet am haunted by the way they seemingly tied in the last scene of the flashback to Hays in Vietnam...alone on scout patrol to the (presumably) Alzheimer’s finally taking complete control over Hays mind on the porch. That was chilling.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
Okay folks, I've got a probably stupid question here. I haven't read the latest posts because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, so if anyone can answer this without getting into details, that'd be great.

I watched Season 1 (someone from DTF recommended it to me, I usually don't watch TV shows, I think it was Tomislav) and it was fabulous. Really well-executed and fantastic show. I've heard a lot of bad things about Season 2, so I didn't watch it.

Now I'm hearing a lot of praise about Season 3, so I think I might actually dive into it, so here's the question: are the seasons completely separate or should I watch S2 before getting to S3? Or can I just start with Season 3? How does this show work in this regard?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
The seasons are totally separate. You do not have to see season 2 (or season 1) to enjoy season 3.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
The seasons are totally separate. You do not have to see season 2 (or season 1) to enjoy season 3.

Yep. Fire away on Season 3. Upon further reflection I still stick by my opinion Season 3 is ‘better’ than Season 1.

Season 1 was incredible but it was carried by Mconahay. Season 3 has multiple different characters that are fantastic....both phenomenal seasons and stories but the edge goes to S3 for me.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 03:14:43 AM »

Yep. Fire away on Season 3. Upon further reflection I still stick by my opinion Season 3 is ‘better’ than Season 1.

Season 1 was incredible but it was carried by Mconahay. Season 3 has multiple different characters that are fantastic....both phenomenal seasons and stories but the edge goes to S3 for me.

IDK, I'll give the slight edge to season 1..I thought Woody was really good in that too. I think as a whole, the pairing in season 3 was stronger, but the stories for both were soooo strong. :hefdaddy

I didn't hate season 2 and would recommend it.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2019, 06:31:22 AM »

IDK, I'll give the slight edge to season 1..I thought Woody was really good in that too. I think as a whole, the pairing in season 3 was stronger, but the stories for both were soooo strong. :hefdaddy

I didn’t ‘hate’ season two either.....it just missed the mark for me. Had that been the first season it’d have been received better I think. Thing is....that first season was SO good that S2 was in a tough spot right off the bat because the comparison to S1 was inevitable...and it fell short of those expectations.

Why I give the (slight) edge to S3 was the way they incorporated telling/showing the story of the Alzheimer’s taking over Hayes. I think it was so well done....especially that final scene....that’s what gives S3 the photo finish victory in my eyes.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2019, 08:41:21 AM »

I didn’t ‘hate’ season two either.....it just missed the mark for me. Had that been the first season it’d have been received better I think. Thing is....that first season was SO good that S2 was in a tough spot right off the bat because the comparison to S1 was inevitable...and it fell short of those expectations.

Why I give the (slight) edge to S3 was the way they incorporated telling/showing the story of the Alzheimer’s taking over Hayes. I think it was so well done....especially that final scene....that’s what gives S3 the photo finish victory in my eyes.

Definitely agree with you, that last seen was quite thought provoking as a viewer, and as a whole, the Alzheimer’s storyline was an added depth. Great season!! The only reason I give season 1 a nudge above is because they had nothing before it......it was so original and I just find that once something is created, it’s there for improvement or just change which is why I wish S3 was S2, but would S3 be as good if not for them falling a little short on S2? I just want an S4. ;)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2019, 01:27:41 PM »
Season 1 has star power but I like the story of season 3 better, acting in both are superb either way.  Season 2 was alright.  I didn't hate it, but it was too complicated, sort of like how the last season of West World got too complicated that it takes away from the enjoyment.  I enjoy complicated plots, I like reading about it and analyzing and trying to understand.  I know we all did that here when season 2 aired, but it felt like it was just too much and in the end, the season as a whole was less interesting.  And looking back, I have no desire to ever rewatch it where as seasons 1 and 3 would be great to rewatch.