Author Topic: Meta-Album  (Read 2823 times)

Offline Donmac1989

• "Our deeds have traveled far."
Meta-Album
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
What is everyones thoughts on the whole Meta Album thing? Where the albums from Scenes to Octavarium pretty much run like one whole album. One album ends with a noise or something that begins the next album.
This feeling inside me
Finally found my love, I've finally broke free
No longer torn in two
I'd take my own life before losing you

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Meta-Album
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »
It was pretty cool, for the most part.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
It was pretty cool, for the most part.

Yeah, they ended before it became a parody, also because they mainly used quickly all the possible tricks.

Static noise going on... cool.
Fade out becoming a fade in... cool.
Last note being played louder... already a stretch.
Closing the loop was good with Octavarium, with the song theme presenting the perfect excuse.

I wonder if the initial idea was just "hey since the static is going on, how about we start the album from that?" or they already decided it would be cool to do it for some albums more, and planned the ending of the records in advance, or in a way that could be logically constructed into the beginning of the next song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
I wonder if the initial idea was just "hey since the static is going on, how about we start the album from that?" or they already decided it would be cool to do it for some albums more, and planned the ending of the records in advance, or in a way that could be logically constructed into the beginning of the next song.
I can't remember at what point MP came up with the idea - if it was before or after they had done SFaM - but by the time they got to doing SDoIT, I'm pretty sure he already had the idea. He was inspired by a little snippet at the very end of VH's Women and Children First album that is referred to as "Growth" that he thought would start off VH's next album. And then it didn't. So he thought it would be cool to actually link the next album with the previous one. Whether he decided at that moment that they should continue that idea for several albums, I don't recall.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 01:35:25 AM »
When I discovered DT back in 04, before Octavarium came out, the idea was still fresh at the time, having only been used twice between SFAM and SDOIT, and again between SDOIT and TOT (though that was was probably less obvious unless you heard the albums back to back - you'd think it was just some chord fading in for effect). When Octavarium came out, it was REALLY awesome to hear how they used that VERY FAINT final low-F from the end of "In The Name Of God" to open "The Root Of All Evil".

What's the MOST brilliant thing about 8VM looping back in on itself is that "Octavarium" has 5 parts and then it loops back into TROAE, which has the 6th and 7th movements of the Twelve Step Suite, so even the movement numbers loop back in order (5 at the end of the album into 6 at the start).

I am glad they did end it with 8VM, though, and I know MP said he wanted it to be closed so that they wouldn't have any loose ends going into SC, and they could start fresh without having to find some way to connect it to the previous album, and the way it starts off, I can't imagine them having used any bits of the end of 8VM to open SC with without re-treading what they had already done with the other connections.

It was a great way to encapsulate that period of DT, as a way to signal the introduction of Jordan Rudess into the band, and it creates a very unique four-album-run that is very popular with a lot of fans (both SFAM and SDOIT still rank very high last I recall, and TOT and 8VM do pretty well, at least to me).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 01:43:29 AM »
Well, originally octavarium didn't actually loop back to the beginning of the album - it ended with a flute repeating a theme from the song itself. It was rather late in the production process that they changed it - people had already received promos. Which is why it's possible to find versions pirated with the original ending out there.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
Well, originally octavarium didn't actually loop back to the beginning of the album - it ended with a flute repeating a theme from the song itself. It was rather late in the production process that they changed it - people had already received promos. Which is why it's possible to find versions pirated with the original ending out there.

Mindblown :omg:
I like that they ended it with Octavarium, though, it worked perfectly with "this story ends where it began", and it let them write albums without having to connect everything with the previous and the next one.

Btw, and I know this wasn't necessarily intentional, the intro of OTBOA sounds very similar to the last part of TCOT.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 12:40:34 PM »
I honestly would’ve loved for Octavarium to finish with ticking clocks from SFAM’s Regression.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 12:52:58 PM »
I think the idea was really cool. People have argued with me about this on here, but I'm still convinced that the running water/birds chirping sound at the end of TCOT returns in the beginning of OTBOA, just slowed down a bit which is why it sounds lower.
Check out my various music projects - I’ve got concept albums, singer/songwriter, rock, metal, prog, and more coming soon:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 01:27:56 PM »
I think the idea was really cool. People have argued with me about this on here, but I'm still convinced that the running water/birds chirping sound at the end of TCOT returns in the beginning of OTBOA, just slowed down a bit which is why it sounds lower.

I’m convinced of this too

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 03:17:47 PM »
All I hear is a voice saying Scooby Doo
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 04:02:39 PM »

Wow, never thought/knew about this and just listened that I have a version with flute outro on cd but listened the Spotify version and it was different. Interesting!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
All I hear is a voice saying Scooby Doo

Actually Scooby dooby doo*

That ruined the whole feeling of the song when somebody mentioned about it!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »

Same thing happened to me with Wither after I heard the version mixed with the Gangnam Style vocals, now I hear PSY singing every time the song starts :facepalm:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 12:47:37 AM »

Same thing happened to me with Wither after I heard the version mixed with the Gangnam Style vocals, now I hear PSY singing every time the song starts :facepalm:

Yeah, this too!  :facepalm: :iagree:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »
What is everyones thoughts on the whole Meta Album thing? Where the albums from Scenes to Octavarium pretty much run like one whole album. One album ends with a noise or something that begins the next album.

I never even knew about this. It seems like a cool idea.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 08:23:07 AM »
I honestly would’ve loved for Octavarium to finish with ticking clocks from SFAM’s Regression.
That would have been sweet.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 01:40:31 PM »
That's also why it's possible to find the rare super secret original idea for the start of Systematic Chaos, where ITPOE Part 1 starts with a blistering flute solo version of the opening riff before the guitar comes in.

This can be found in the same place you can find the full ending to Pull Me Under.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2019, 02:32:23 PM »
What a coincidence that I heard this version for the first time today. I was so freaked out that I actually though that had been there for the whole time and I've noticed it just now.  :lol

Offline rab7

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
That's also why it's possible to find the rare super secret original idea for the start of Systematic Chaos, where ITPOE Part 1 starts with a blistering flute solo version of the opening riff before the guitar comes in.

This can be found in the same place you can find the full ending to Pull Me Under.

Fun fact: quoting entire comments completely ruins any "fine print" bamboozle attempts.

I was about to argue with you until I saw it