Author Topic: Fall Into Light / Lyrics  (Read 4893 times)

Offline wideworldofmike

• DTF.org Alumni
Fall Into Light / Lyrics
« on: January 11, 2019, 05:39:45 AM »
Chorus didn’t hit me at 1st, didn’t get it but was memorable. Was listening on headphones on my phone, second time around was scrolling through social media and looking at what everyone was posting and it was suddenly kind of an intense ah-ha moment for me. Babies, nature, sports, parties, memories, selfies, art general awesomeness all in bite sized little bits passing by every moment with a now super intense background theme song. “Too much love is not enough for us”. Could be very positive or maybe even kind of dark.

Not sure if that was the intention or not, just my experience. What is everyone’s 1st vs second impression of lyrics?

Offline adamack

My Initial Thoughts On "Fall Into the Light"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
After 3 listens, I can say I definitely like it better than Untethered Angel.

Great opening riffs by JP as usual. MM's drums sound good to me, and his fills on this song are really nice.

A couple issues with James' vocals - neither his fault. I'm not crazy about the verse vocal melody. It's definitely not bad, but it just sounds very predictable and safe. Almost sounds like I've heard this exact melody in another MM-era DT song. (Which leads me to think - this song sounds like it would fit right in on DT12.)

The main thing I don't like about James' vocals though is the choices of effects. Again, not his fault. James has an incredible studio voice, but the effects used makes him sound so...plastic and distant. AKA too much Chorus and Reverb. Same problem on Untethered Angel. I wish we could just hear James' natural voice once in awhile, with a touch of reverb and compression, maybe some inaudible delay, and that's it.

Anyway, back to the good. The structure is very cool. It's like a 7 minute epic, structurally, how the song comes to a halt and builds back up. I love the Floydian section around 3:20. I feel that acoustic melodies that JP has created here will be very memorable, and this part really lifts the song. Instead of a technical solo, he opted for a more simple, repeating melody that's really effective IMO.

More good - I LOVE that Jordan is rocking the hammond! I've always much preferred the organ sound to his more synthesized sound, and he really kills that solo.

Even more good - I like the hook. It's far from my favorite, but I think it will continue to grow on me.

My one biggest fear with this song is that it'll come down with DT12 syndrome. That is - being awesome at first, but in the grand scheme of things, becoming somewhat forgettable. Forgettable when compared against DT's classic songs, that is. But only time will tell, and for now I really like this song!

I'd probably give it a B, possibly a B+

Offline adamack

Re: My Initial Thoughts On "Fall Into the Light"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:17:40 AM »
Wanted to add: Just listened again but on headphones, and James’ vocal mix sounds better than my computer monitors

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 08:42:59 AM »
Almost sounds like I've heard this exact melody in another MM-era DT song. (Which leads me to think - this song sounds like it would fit right in on DT12.)

Exactly what's happening for me with these recent songs - the vocal melodies and effects just take me back to Bigger Picture/Surrender To Reason and I realise I like those songs better  :lol

Plenty to like in the new songs (in parts) but I find the DT12 material more cohesive in songwriting terms.  The midsection in FITL , awesome as it is , seems to come from nowhere for me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline GandL

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:00:56 AM »
That middle section made me think of Space Dye Vest

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:19 AM »
After 3 listens, I can say I definitely like it better than Untethered Angel.

Great opening riffs by JP as usual. MM's drums sound good to me, and his fills on this song are really nice.

A couple issues with James' vocals - neither his fault. I'm not crazy about the verse vocal melody. It's definitely not bad, but it just sounds very predictable and safe. Almost sounds like I've heard this exact melody in another MM-era DT song. (Which leads me to think - this song sounds like it would fit right in on DT12.)

The main thing I don't like about James' vocals though is the choices of effects. Again, not his fault. James has an incredible studio voice, but the effects used makes him sound so...plastic and distant. AKA too much Chorus and Reverb. Same problem on Untethered Angel. I wish we could just hear James' natural voice once in awhile, with a touch of reverb and compression, maybe some inaudible delay, and that's it.

Anyway, back to the good. The structure is very cool. It's like a 7 minute epic, structurally, how the song comes to a halt and builds back up. I love the Floydian section around 3:20. I feel that acoustic melodies that JP has created here will be very memorable, and this part really lifts the song. Instead of a technical solo, he opted for a more simple, repeating melody that's really effective IMO.

More good - I LOVE that Jordan is rocking the hammond! I've always much preferred the organ sound to his more synthesized sound, and he really kills that solo.

Even more good - I like the hook. It's far from my favorite, but I think it will continue to grow on me.

My one biggest fear with this song is that it'll come down with DT12 syndrome. That is - being awesome at first, but in the grand scheme of things, becoming somewhat forgettable. Forgettable when compared against DT's classic songs, that is. But only time will tell, and for now I really like this song!

I'd probably give it a B, possibly a B+

Agreed about the melody.  The middle instrumental is amazing but I personally feel the verses and chorus are a let down.  God I love the middle part.  The way that the vocal parts are written though are not catchy or memorable to me though unfortunately.  Dream Theater choruses used to be memorable on albums like Images and Awake.  That is my biggest problem with these two songs so far

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
James sounds really good indeed.

I'm on the opposite side regarding structure. I feel like this song was 2 shorter songs that were merged into one. The transition to the softer part doesn't  flow smoothly and doesn't make much sense. I could see it working in a longer song that is more developed, but here it just seems like they threw it in there just for the sake of it. The transition back to the heavier section is done quite well though.
Other than that, the song is pretty cool and has some great riffs, great singing and awesome DT instrumentals. Jordan stands out so much bringing in different sounds and textures. JP and JMX just rock the hell out of the song. The bass sound is more audible than it was in the previous records, at least to me and that brings a somewhat heavier dimension to some sections of the song.
I get a little bit of a Maiden vibe here and there which is interesting, but that may just be me.
I was pleasantly surprised by the intro as well, much more old school rock/metal than we are used to hearing from these guys.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 11:03:58 AM »
Really liking the song so far.  It's just the vocals that I don't care for, and it was the same thing on Untethered Angel.  I actually love James' voice, but so far on these two songs he sounds tinny and far away, and it really takes away from the song for me.  I hope the whole album isn't like that.  Because what a shame it would be to have an album that's top 5 material, but ends up being far down the list because of the vocal effects.

But yeah, I really like this song.  Everything leading up to the first verse gives me a real Megadeth vibe, so badass.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks at the very end they are about to go into another slow section? I think it could have worked really well as an outro.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline smegolas

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 01:24:48 PM »
So great...until the singing starts.  Then its just meh...another avg DT metal song.  I sure hope we get to hear them with another singer before they retire.  Maybe that Pilipino guy from Journey.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »
So great...until the singing starts.  Then its just meh...another avg DT metal song.  I sure hope we get to hear them with another singer before they retire.  Maybe that Pilipino guy from Journey.

I wish we could hear more of JLB's true voice and not this processed version. His voice is one of my favorite (and there are many) aspects of DT. I don't mind it like this, and when mixed with his natural voice - really cool. Personally, if there were another singer, I would not like DT as much.  I love JLB's voice - even now. :heart

Offline adamack

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 03:12:54 PM »
Almost sounds like I've heard this exact melody in another MM-era DT song. (Which leads me to think - this song sounds like it would fit right in on DT12.)

Exactly what's happening for me with these recent songs - the vocal melodies and effects just take me back to Bigger Picture/Surrender To Reason and I realise I like those songs better  :lol

Plenty to like in the new songs (in parts) but I find the DT12 material more cohesive in songwriting terms.  The midsection in FITL , awesome as it is , seems to come from nowhere for me.

Yes exactly, I think I'm with ya there. - so far I like TBP and STR better than these two, though it is still very early. I actually didn't care for Moment of Betrayal at all when I first heard it, but listening to it as part of TA, it became a favorite. So hopefully they grow on me more.

Agreed about the melody.  The middle instrumental is amazing but I personally feel the verses and chorus are a let down.  God I love the middle part.  The way that the vocal parts are written though are not catchy or memorable to me though unfortunately.  Dream Theater choruses used to be memorable on albums like Images and Awake.  That is my biggest problem with these two songs so far

Yes, it seems like so many new-era DT vocal melodies are so bland, particularly verses. Like, James is just singing a monotone line, moving it up or down a half step for the next line, and so on. It does really make me miss their creativity back in the I&W days. Not to mention, James just sounded much better mix-wise back then. It's always interesting when elements of a band can sound amazing in 1992, and take a big step down in 2019 with so many advances at the recording studio.

James sounds really good indeed.

I'm on the opposite side regarding structure. I feel like this song was 2 shorter songs that were merged into one. The transition to the softer part doesn't  flow smoothly and doesn't make much sense. I could see it working in a longer song that is more developed, but here it just seems like they threw it in there just for the sake of it. The transition back to the heavier section is done quite well though.
Other than that, the song is pretty cool and has some great riffs, great singing and awesome DT instrumentals. Jordan stands out so much bringing in different sounds and textures. JP and JMX just rock the hell out of the song. The bass sound is more audible than it was in the previous records, at least to me and that brings a somewhat heavier dimension to some sections of the song.
I get a little bit of a Maiden vibe here and there which is interesting, but that may just be me.
I was pleasantly surprised by the intro as well, much more old school rock/metal than we are used to hearing from these guys.

I listened again 3 more times on my walk, and I actually agree with the structure thing now. It does come from out of nowhere, and seems a bit out of place for a 7 minute song. It is giving me some vibes of Illumination Theory, when the song just quickly winds down into the orchestral section. It's funny, because the orchestral section in IT and the softer part of this song happen to be my favorite parts of each song, but they would both also sound better in a different arrangement.

And no you're not alone with the Maiden thing - that was one of the first things that came to mind when I first heard it. And yep that intro is really cool. I think the old school type sound of it is due to the riff having that bluesy vibe

Really liking the song so far.  It's just the vocals that I don't care for, and it was the same thing on Untethered Angel.  I actually love James' voice, but so far on these two songs he sounds tinny and far away, and it really takes away from the song for me.  I hope the whole album isn't like that.  Because what a shame it would be to have an album that's top 5 material, but ends up being far down the list because of the vocal effects.

But yeah, I really like this song.  Everything leading up to the first verse gives me a real Megadeth vibe, so badass.

Exactly, very distant sounding! But not in a floody-reverb way, more so in a chorus-y way.

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
Sounds better mixed then Untethered Angel. Sounds a better composition too than the aforementioned.

Some thrash metal again I see. The verse/chorus isn't that interesting, sounds like DT12 - very closely actually. The instrumental section (with solos) and the outro though  :hefdaddy That's what I want more of  :metal

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 03:51:34 PM »
On my first listen I wondered if this would be an instrumental. I was sorta disappointed when the vocals kicked in. Kinda hard to tell with all the processed echo-centric vocals, but my guess is that this is one of the songs JM penned the lyrics to. Has a deeper feel to it. That solo section is really refreshing and beautiful. And the end solo blew me away.  :hefdaddy  Unfettered Angel kinda felt uninspired to me, though a welcome change finally hearing Mangini in the mix. This is an order of magnitude better. Hopefully the rest of the album continues to improve from this.

Oh, and am I wrong, or are the words "Fall into the Light" not actually in the song?
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 04:08:00 PM »
Everything that wasn't JLB singing or a keyboard solo was actually really cool and different and good. The intro was exciting (those drums, wow), all of Petrucci, cool outro and middle section.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »

Oh, and am I wrong, or are the words "Fall into the Light" not actually in the song?

I’m sure I heard it in one of the verses.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »
On my first listen I wondered if this would be an instrumental. I was sorta disappointed when the vocals kicked in.

You can totally tell that this song is 100% JP, and that it originated from G3. The slow section features 3, maybe 4 guitars at the same time.
I get a bit the impression that DT took this G3 snippet, and merged a separate idea onto it to make it a song.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 05:53:56 PM »
I think this is the mix we've been looking for.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 06:39:04 PM »
For once I actually agree with the crowd. I was coming here specifically to ask about the vocal melodies. Does JLB do them all now (excluding TA, I suppose)? If so when did that start? The OP said it was safe and predictable, and that's exactly what I thought, but simply because it sounds like all of the vocal melodies from the last few albums. I'm just really tired of them. The music falls somewhere between pretty good and kick ass. Great, old school intro and entertaining middle part. It's actually a pretty unusual song for modern era DT, which is something I've been wanting. Just the vocals bring it down (and not because I don't like JLB's voice).

Enjoyable video, to boot. Normally I don't pay attention to such things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
Listened to it again.

Sadly, it seems I'm just not a fan of JP's writing anymore. Shame. Ah well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2019, 06:45:22 PM »
The artwork needs to be on a vinyl release!
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »

You can totally tell that this song is 100% JP, and that it originated from G3. The slow section features 3, maybe 4 guitars at the same time.
I get a bit the impression that DT took this G3 snippet, and merged a separate idea onto it to make it a song.

I just listened to the song, and I'm wondering how JP is going to try and do that particular section in a live setting. It's overdubbed quite heavily.

First impression is very solid. The video helped put me in a good zone to absorb the song and its many colors, some of which are new for Dream Theater.
JP is dominant through most of it, and he flexed his guitar playing muscles well. JMX is distinctly audible and has a great tone. I would have liked to hear more JR, because it felt like he stepped back in some parts to let JP's riffs take the spotlight. His solo was awesome though. MM is wonderful at anything that is thrown his way and he proves it again. I think there is even more to his drumming on this album though. We won't hear his best work until the whole thing is released.

EDIT: forgot to mention JLB. his work is what I would say is a solid B+, and again, these two songs won't be his best work either. I really think there'll be something that strips things down and shows off his voice in a more personal setting. It can't all be chorused and/or double-tracked, can it?
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »
DT definitely needs to spend WAY more time creating more interesting vocal melodies. As far as riffs go, some really good ones here. I’m probably in the minority here in that I don’t think JP is the greatest riff-writer, especially when compared to Hetfield or Mustaine. His leads rule of course.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:33 PM »
I dig this song a lot! Right from the first listen. Different yet still familiar in a good way. Comparatively, Untethered Angel took a few listens to grow on me, but now I really enjoy that one as well.

Offline DT1138

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2019, 10:45:33 PM »
I've played it 3x in a row now.  Overall, I like this WAY better than Untethered Angel.  The intro is badass, the band is tight and dynamic, I can hear James much better, and it sounds more metal. 

I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, but the most glaring part to me is that section at roughly 3:19 where everything stops, JP's guitar rings out and then the acoustic part starts - after all that charged up playing, it's like hitting the brakes and going headfirst thru the windshield.  There should have been some kind of accented stops/drum hits over that acoustic section....or, at least a more gentle transition into it.  Would have made a great intro also.

The music that follows when the drums kick back in is cool though, and the solos are great (JP's solo before the harmonized parts reminded me of Master of Puppets).   JR's solo is awesome, and I also welcome the organ sound versus the synthy ones. 

I like the rest of the song but it feels almost unfinished to me in some ways, almost like they said "Ehh, F it, we'll just end it here"....POOF!  Drum fill, chugging guitar, done.

B+ for me.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 11:00:28 PM by DT1138 »

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2019, 11:09:18 PM »
So great...until the singing starts.  Then its just meh...another avg DT metal song.  I sure hope we get to hear them with another singer before they retire. 

AGREED 100%

Offline pcs90

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2019, 11:57:26 PM »
I definitely prefer this to UA. Middle section is very cool, I was expecting a really soaring JP solo, but in a way I like that he took a different aproach since it's not what I was expecting. The mix seems more open than on UA for some reason. I do wish James had less effects on his voice, but oh well. As far as the length of the song I don't think it's too short, it seems to be the right length in my opinion. Also happy to hear more organ from JR.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2019, 01:34:03 AM »
Musically this is some of the best sounding material I've heard from the band in a long time. I know that likely could be controversial but something about it just really does it for me. There are some issues, slightly disjointed (sounds like there are 2 great songs trying to come out of this one) and the vocal melodies could be a bit more interesting but its not bad at all. I'm really excited about this song. I'll let the rest of the album speak for itself. Great work DT!  :metal

Offline Pettor

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2019, 04:05:11 AM »
I love the song! Can't see what fans are missing from it knowing what to expect from DT over the years. It's inspired, groovey and has wonderful instrumentals and that middle section. Both UA and FITL has some of the best riffing they have done in years!

Offline JoeMLennon

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2019, 06:32:50 AM »
Agree with much of what is said hear.  I am digging all the music.... and then the vocals come in.  It feels like they just don't focus on the vocal melody that much.  Its like how about
"blah blah blah blah blah     blah blah     blah blah    blahhhhhhhhh".   Yeah thats good lets move on :).  I wish the verses were more memorable.  The performance is good, but it just want something catchier in the verses.

Offline adastra

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2019, 10:03:08 AM »
Am i missing something with the middle section? :(
Almost everyone says its so amazing but it does nothing for me ._.
But its great that people like it!
The song in its whole is kinda standard metal dt, with forgettable vocal melodies.
I hate to sound like im bashing dt or the song but the vocal melodies on the verses almost sound like they didnt even try.
Still waiting for the album! Yeah!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »
I'll re-ask my question. Does JLB write all of the vocal melodies?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »

No.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »

No.

Correct but I don't think there has ever been a clear answer about how much he actually writes. It appears that Petrucci and Portnoy used to write many of the vocal melodies, especially to the songs they wrote lyrics to. That isn't to say that James wouldn't have input but how much is unclear.

James has stepped up in many ways since Portnoy left, specifically in regards to vocals, such as recording ADTOE and TA on his own with minimal input from JP. So does he write more vocal melodies now? I've always wondered.