In the Air Tonight
In Too Deep
I Wish It Would Rain
Throwing It All Away
Don't Lose My Number
Anything She Does
Mama

Voting closes: October 21, 2024, 07:34:28 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite of these songs by Phil Collins/Genesis  (Read 2381 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Your favorite of these songs by Phil Collins/Genesis
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 04:43:58 PM »
TAC can go all night with Winger.  Or so I've heard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 06:25:08 PM »
TAC can go all night with Winger.  Or so I've heard.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 10:40:30 PM »
I actually see TAC as more of a Damn Yankees fan  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 11:17:18 PM »
I was never a Collins/Genesis fan, never owned any of their albums, but damn if I didn't watch a lot of Collins/Genesis videos on MTV. I don't know why that never translated to me liking the music more.

Actually, yes I do. It's because the videos were usually entertaining and the music was usually crap. But as music videos were new and shiny at the time, video quality trumped music quality. What I call the "Sledgehammer Syndrome."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 11:48:43 PM »
I was never a Collins/Genesis fan, never owned any of their albums, but damn if I didn't watch a lot of Collins/Genesis videos on MTV. I don't know why that never translated to me liking the music more.

Actually, yes I do. It's because the videos were usually entertaining and the music was usually crap. But as music videos were new and shiny at the time, video quality trumped music quality. What I call the "Sledgehammer Syndrome."

So you consider songs like Mama or Easy Lover crap?

What does the word "snub" mean? I'm really asking.

When Stadler wrote that Phill Collins "and Robert Fripp are the two largest snubs in the RnRHoF right now," he is pointing out that neither of them are in the RNRHOF, and he believes that is unreasonable/unfair/unjust.  To say they have been "snubbed" is to say that they have been unjustly excluded.  For what my opinion is worth, I can't see why Fripp would get in, except as a member of King Crimson.  As for Collins, he's at least as deserving as any number of folks who have been inducted, but the RRHOF is a joke that includes innumerable inductees who never played a note of "rock and roll (e.g., Linda Ronstadt, Laura Nyro, NWA, etc.), so if you take precedent into account, then I suppose Collins should get in.  On the other hand, if you don't take precedent into account, then I would not agree that Collins belongs in.

Thanks for the explanation! But isn't Collins in the Hall Of Fame with Genesis?
I agree that Fripp deserves to be in there, although I imagine he wouldn't care about it at all.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:26 AM »
Amazing.  Having said that, "That's All" is one of my least favorite songs by any artist, ever.  Hate that song. 

Wrong.  Objectively.

Hell...there are at least a couple songs on the list are that worse than "That's All."

If "by a couple", you mean "none", I agree wholeheartedly.  :)   To be fair, it's my opinion only, but it just rubs me the wrong way (and  by the way, I LOVE the album it's on).

When Stadler wrote that Phill Collins "and Robert Fripp are the two largest snubs in the RnRHoF right now," he is pointing out that neither of them are in the RNRHOF, and he believes that is unreasonable/unfair/unjust.  To say they have been "snubbed" is to say that they have been unjustly excluded.  For what my opinion is worth, I can't see why Fripp would get in, except as a member of King Crimson.  As for Collins, he's at least as deserving as any number of folks who have been inducted, but the RRHOF is a joke that includes innumerable inductees who never played a note of "rock and roll (e.g., Linda Ronstadt, Laura Nyro, NWA, etc.), so if you take precedent into account, then I suppose Collins should get in.  On the other hand, if you don't take precedent into account, then I would not agree that Collins belongs in.

I think Fripp should be in because he's every bit the innovator and transcendent musician that the Hall ordinarily loves, ala Lou Reed.   He almost single-handedly created a genre, and while that genre is despised by the Hall generally, he's got the sort of integrity that the Hall claims to look for.  He's got the idiosyncracy of a Neil Young or a Peter Gabriel (with whom he's worked numerous times), which the Hall loves.  Those guys are supposed to be the smartest, most knowledgeable of musical critics, and if they are, Fripp is everything they should be embracing.   And yet...

As for Phil, he's one of only three artists to sell more than 100 million records as BOTH a solo artist and a member of a group, so his bona fides are set.  He's played with everyone from Led Zeppelin to Jethro Tull to Sting to Peter Gabriel to... it's just a snub based on pettiness and personality than anything tangible. 

As for his "1985", well, that's around the time he just got overexposed.  The Live Aid thing, the acting thing, the hits thing (he started to make a name for the cheesy ballad, ala "One More Night", when that is perhaps the least indicative song on the record).

Online pg1067

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 10:51:48 AM »
Amazing.  Having said that, "That's All" is one of my least favorite songs by any artist, ever.  Hate that song. 

Wrong.  Objectively.

Hell...there are at least a couple songs on the list are that worse than "That's All."

If "by a couple", you mean "none", I agree wholeheartedly.  :)   To be fair, it's my opinion only, but it just rubs me the wrong way (and  by the way, I LOVE the album it's on).

The "couple songs" in particular to which I was referring are "Mama" and "Illegal Alien," but I'd probably also include "Land of Confusion" and "Against All Odds" in the "worse than 'That's All'" list, and probably half of the list are on the same level (the safe, completely unoffensive, not bad, but nothing special level).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:53 AM »

Wrong.  Objectively.

The "couple songs" in particular to which I was referring are "Mama" and "Illegal Alien," but I'd probably also include "Land of Confusion" and "Against All Odds" in the "worse than 'That's All'" list, and probably half of the list are on the same level (the safe, completely unoffensive, not bad, but nothing special level).

I love Mama, and I have a real soft spot for Illegal Alien (I find it a fun song), but if I tried to tell you that "Against All Odds" or "Land of Confusion" are that much better than "That's All", I'd be arguing for the sake of arguing.   (Though LoC was more ruined by that stupid video than the song itself). 

Online pg1067

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »

Wrong.  Objectively.

I love Mama, and I have a real soft spot for Illegal Alien (I find it a fun song), but if I tried to tell you that "Against All Odds" or "Land of Confusion" are that much better than "That's All", I'd be arguing for the sake of arguing.   (Though LoC was more ruined by that stupid video than the song itself).

Good point about LoC (and I think the "Illegal Alien" video is pretty bad too).  I wonder how the song would be perceived if it had a more bland video.  Part of this is that some of the mid-80s Genesis material was very intentionally comedic at a time when I was looking for my music to be more serious.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2019, 12:08:09 PM »

Wrong.  Objectively.

I think Fripp should be in because he's every bit the innovator and transcendent musician that the Hall ordinarily loves, ala Lou Reed.   He almost single-handedly created a genre, and while that genre is despised by the Hall generally, he's got the sort of integrity that the Hall claims to look for.  He's got the idiosyncracy of a Neil Young or a Peter Gabriel (with whom he's worked numerous times), which the Hall loves.  Those guys are supposed to be the smartest, most knowledgeable of musical critics, and if they are, Fripp is everything they should be embracing.   And yet...

As for Phil, he's one of only three artists to sell more than 100 million records as BOTH a solo artist and a member of a group, so his bona fides are set.  He's played with everyone from Led Zeppelin to Jethro Tull to Sting to Peter Gabriel to... it's just a snub based on pettiness and personality than anything tangible. 

As for his "1985", well, that's around the time he just got overexposed.  The Live Aid thing, the acting thing, the hits thing (he started to make a name for the cheesy ballad, ala "One More Night", when that is perhaps the least indicative song on the record).

So much truth in this, Stadler. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2019, 12:41:47 PM »
I voted a few days ago, but hadn't posted my votes yet, so here they are:
That's All
Take Me Home
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Another Day In Paradise
Land of Confusion
In The Air Tonight

When I think of Phil (with Genesis or not), these are definitely most of my favorites that come to mind. I also think og Sussudio, but that song gets on my nerves after awhile...most of the rest are pretty good (though I could care to forget a few of them, like Illegal Alien), but those six above are the ones that struck me as essential Phil!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
I've always liked Illegal Alien, and the video is a hoot, with Collins hamming it up like he did so often back then.

I get that many dislike the way he went the total pop route, eventually doing songs for Disney, but the hatred so many have for him now is disturbing.