Author Topic: Woodstock 50th anniversary - August 16th  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Woodstock 50th anniversary - August 16th
« on: January 09, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »
50th anniversary happening on August 16-18. Artist haven’t been confirmed but apparently some hip hop and pop will be included.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Woodstock 50th anniversary - August 16th
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »
Five bucks says this will be a total farce.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 06:45:33 PM »
Five bucks sa………

Oops, sorry, I fell asleep.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 08:12:28 PM »
I would say get ready for $500 tickets, high temperature weather, food and water prices will be over the roof, subpar bands/musicians, and security would have no idea how to contain it.  Woodstock 1999 is a good example of disaster and I don't see any convincing reason so far that this would go without a hitch.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
And people will payout their asses to attend because it will be hyped like crazy and they will want to be a part of it.

I wasn't there, I wasn't alive at the time, I wasn't part of the culture, and I get all that. But I sometimes feel Woodstock '69 is one of the more overblown events in pop culture history.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:42 AM »
The Who have said that they're not interested in participating.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 06:24:43 AM »
Five bucks says this will be a total farce.
Exactly
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 09:48:31 AM »
Hey!  It's a year ending in a "9."  Let's try to recreate a once-in-a-lifetime cultural event!

This sounds like the worst thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qt2P8cWoqY

Pretty much.

The Who have said that they're not interested in participating.

Are Pete and Roger really still calling themselves "The Who"?  I guess if the Frankie Banali Band can call itself "Quiet Riot," anything goes, but still....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »
I think Pete and Roger have every right to call themselves The Who. It's not like they're playing musical mix and match with their members like Yes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 10:05:35 AM »
"I hope I die before I get old..."

That lyric pre-dates Woodstock by four years. :lol :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 10:13:39 AM »
I think Pete and Roger have every right to call themselves The Who. It's not like they're playing musical mix and match with their members like Yes.

Nor was there a contentious, litigious band split a la Queensryche.

Pete has aged pretty darn well and can still deliver on stage.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 10:47:04 AM »

Exactly.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 11:04:44 AM »
Woodstock 1999 is a good example of disaster and I don't see any convincing reason so far that this would go without a hitch.

Yup.  They could name all my favorite bands and I don't think I'd have interest in going and supporting this.  I like the idea of paying homage to the original woodstock, but 99 showed that us humans are just terrible and this is not a good idea.  That goes around to everyone, the promoters the fans and the performers (cough limp bizkit cough). 

Having said that, I'd probably definitely pay to watch a live stream of that shit show (assuming the bands were something I'd be interested in too).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 11:15:54 AM »

Nor was there a contentious, litigious band split a la Queensryche.

Pete has aged pretty darn well and can still deliver on stage.

Yup, the old boy still kicks some ass live, and tore up pipes aside, Roger is holding up pretty well too.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
This sounds like it'll be just a bigger Choachella. Mostly mainstream bands, with some lesser knowns.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
Getting around in the mud with my walker would be a real pain in the axe.  No thanks.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »
I guess they just want to give Millennials a chance to ruin Woodstock like the Gen X'ers did in 94 and 99. :lol I do wonder if the grounds will end up being trashed like they were back in 99 or if they'll enforce a lot of groundskeeping rules.

Hopefully they are better prepared this time (proper water supplies, more ATMs and better ways to pay for food, etc.).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 02:09:08 PM »
I guess they just want to give Millennials a chance to ruin Woodstock like the Gen X'ers did in 94 and 99. :lol I do wonder if the grounds will end up being trashed like they were back in 99 or if they'll enforce a lot of groundskeeping rules.

Hopefully they are better prepared this time (proper water supplies, more ATMs and better ways to pay for food, etc.).

-Marc.

I'm going to guess they will be better with the water and food, learn from their lesssons, but I wonder about the new issues that will arise.  The amount of raping and sexual harrassment in 99 is something that concerns me.  Today we have the #metoo movement and you'd think people would cut this out, but what about when that doesn't stop rapes?  What about all the phones that will record every little wrong thing that happens? 

I watched some of Limp Bizket's set from 99 today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR64uNeFuIk) and you can see a few girls without tops and one gets groped, she smiled and pushes the hands off (at the 41 minute mark).  But what happens when that happens today?  Do you think that guy gets the shit kicked out of him? (and deservingly too maybe but that's still not OK).  I just wonder what NEW obstacles they will have to overcome to make this a successful festival.

Offline DTA

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »
It's probably just going to be a bunch of bullshit rap/hip-hop acts and a few token, bland rock bands like Foo Fighters and Imagine Dragons.