Method of Modern Love
Say It Isn't So
One on One
Adult Education
I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)
Family Man
Rich Girl

Voting closes: October 19, 2024, 09:58:51 PM

Author Topic: Your favorite of these songs by Hall & Oates  (Read 1108 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Your favorite of these songs by Hall & Oates
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »
You can vote for up to 4.

I went with:

Maneater
Out of Touch (especially when preceded by Dance on Your Knees)
Family Man (the rock mix with the extended instrumental section, as seen in the video)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your favorite of these songs by Hall & Oates
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:04:27 PM »
I just realised Private Eyes is on there twice after I voted for it.

Other two I went with was Out of Touch and I Can't go for That.  A fourth would probably be Maneater.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:56:29 AM »
I just realised Private Eyes is on there twice after I voted for it.

Damn it.  That was supposed to be Say It Isn't So.  Fixed.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:38:46 AM »
Out of Touch
Maneater
Private Eyes
I Can't go for That.

this was a very tough decision.

also, a couple of years ago I found out "Family Man" was a cover of a Mike Oldfield (Tubular Bells) song..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwg5-_6ezGs
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 08:02:28 AM »
ALL OF THEM!     :lemmeseeurwarface:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »
Maneater
You Make My Dreams
Method of Modern Love
Adult Education

Hard to choose only 4.  I think I had 8 selected until I saw the limit.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »

Hard to choose only 4. 

No kidding. It was hard to choose 1! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 08:51:27 AM »

Hard to choose only 4. 

You're out of touch, TAC.
 ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »
Family Man, and I only voted for one out of respect for that song, it's so good.

By the way, shameless (though I don't know why, since I have nothing to do with it!) plug for "Live At Daryl's House".   That guy is the real fucking deal.  He literally can sing anything; that show is also good for showcasing artists you'd never otherwise suspect were pretty good   Ben Folds REALLY impressed on that show, as did the dude from Fall Out Boy (Patrick Stump).  I also elevated Joe Walsh into the elite status as a guitar player after watching him on that show.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »

Hard to choose only 4. 

You're out of touch, TAC.
 ;)

Say it isn't so.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »
:gene: is on my list.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
Gene Smile?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 09:35:44 AM »
Maneater
Private Eyes
Family Man
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »
We need to alert Fritzy from Dan Patrick's show to the existence of this thread.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 11:36:06 AM »
Much more difficult than I thought! I went with:
Out of Touch
You Make My Dreams
Adult Education
Kiss on My List

But I gotta give honorable mention to:
Private Eyes
Maneater
Method of Modern Love
Say It Isn't So
Family Man
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
Rich Girl
She's Gone
Sarah Smile
Kiss On My List

Perfect songwriting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 06:21:48 PM »
Having grown up in the early 80's watching MTV and seeing all of those Hall & Oates videos, I found Sara Smile and She's Gone both kinda bored when I eventually heard both (neither had the pop sheen the 80's hits did), but over time I have really grown to like both a lot. Neither got a vote from me here, but that is no shame. Every single one of these songs is not only really good, but aged really well, which cannot always be said about songs from those years.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 01:17:34 PM »
Oh, dear Kev, I'm going to show my age.

I remember hearing the above listed tracks on Top 40 radio when they were released.  Even bought the 'Bigger Than Both Of Us' LP when it was in the charts :omg:  Even got dragged to The Auditorium (or was it Jenison Fieldhouse?)  at Michigan State for one of their concerts in the late 70s.

Songs that should ALWAYS be in their Top 20 (from that album) that you did not list:  'Crazy Eyes', 'Do What You Want, Be What You Are', and 'Fallin''.  Best to listen to them in order, late at night, with head phones on.  You will be more than pleasantly surprised.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline romdrums

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »
Method of Modern Love deserves more votes just for spelling out the song title in the chorus.  You gotta have confidence to pull that off..  Also, that song has a tasty groove.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 08:53:28 PM »

Songs that should ALWAYS be in their Top 20 (from that album) that you did not list:  'Crazy Eyes', 'Do What You Want, Be What You Are', and 'Fallin''.  Best to listen to them in order, late at night, with head phones on.  You will be more than pleasantly surprised.

Not sure I am familiar with those, as I never dug into any deep tracks by Hall & Oates, although I am sure there are some good ones.

One thing I thought was always cool about their videos is how they would often have slightly different arrangements from the album version or even the single version:

Family Man video - was the rock mix, featuring a long instrumental section (mostly) in the second half, which was nearly 6 minutes long.
Out of Touch video - featured a shorter and slightly different version of Dance on Your Knees (which precedes and then runs into Out of Touch on the album).
Method of Modern Love video - opened up with a keyboard melody featuring a melody from the song which then cross faded into the normal intro.
I Can't Go for That video - the intro was slightly different in that there is at least one instance of Hall turning a keyboard knob and making a cool feedback sound that is not heard on the album or single version.
Say It Isn't So video - the intro was extended and then there was an added instrumental section between the first chorus and second verse.