Author Topic: Reunions that will never happen  (Read 2934 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Reunions that will never happen
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »

And on that note, I will add the VH1 line-up...I sincerely hope/pray that I am proven wrong (rumors are swirling), but I sincerely think that I will never VH with Michael Anthony.

I think Anthony and Roth would do it, so it's just a matter of the brothers pulling their heads out of their asses and swallowing their egos and doing it before they are all too old.  I know it's been said many times, but it's unbelievable to think of what a waste the last 20 years have been when you think of how much more new VH music we could have gotten.

I don't disagree with that last sentence; unless we're due for an 86-CD box set of all of Eddie's legendary studio tapes I can't think of a more legendary musician with less actual musical output.  No solo albums, no solo pieces, no "orchestral works"... having said that, none of any of that has anything to do with Michael Anthony.   I get it, taste is taste, and I'm not criticizing anyone for wanting that, but for me, begging for Michael Anthony to be back in Van Halen is - again, TO ME - like begging for Pete Willis to be back in Def Leppard.  I saw Van Halen with both Michael and Wolfie, and I'm sorry; if I didn't know better (and if it wasn't for the solo spot with the Jack Daniels bass) I'd never have known the difference. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »
I wouldn't rule out a PT tour. SW won't be going back to them full time, but he might get a wild hair and want to play with them again. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

While I like your optimism, I don't see why this would happen. Steven Wilson is a larger act than he's ever been and he can play whatever the heck he wants with his current (solo) band. He's been playing PT songs with this line-up as well, so I don't see any 'need' for him to reunite his old band.
Is he a larger act now? I saw him 2 weeks ago at the same venue I saw PT tree play, and the crowd was about the same. A PT reunion, especially if a very temporary thing, would generate some hype. Something definitely lacking when he played here. Moreover, his band's not as good and they're not the same. Yeah, he can play Muzak and it sounds alright, but it's definitely not the same. Also, there are plenty of people, myself included, that prefer PT's music to his solo output. Even though he most certainly disagrees I suspect he understands that. Lastly there's the nostalgia aspect. As far as I know he got along fine with his mates, and liked the music they were playing. A short tour commemorating the 20th anniversary of In Absentia might be something he'd just enjoy.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2019, 10:13:01 AM »
There's a possibility that Rush could get back together to do something in the future, not a full album and tour, but something on a much smaller scale. The three of them still get along, so while it's unlikely, it's not in that unlikely.

It's incredibly unlikely.  When they finished the last tour, I thought that they left the door open for some sort of "one week at Radio City Music Hall" or something like that, but it's not going to happen.  Neil isn't going to perform again unless he can do so at top level, and he isn't going to work his chops back up to that level for some sort of "smaller scale" thing.  Could they maybe do "Rush Unplugged" for 20 dates or something like that?  I suppose, but I don't really see the point.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2019, 10:29:42 AM »
Fish with Marillion isn't about "bad blood", but a very simple logistical fact:  Fish has been candid that he cannot sing those first four albums in the original keys, and Steve Rothery has refused (to date) to change the keys of any of those songs (though I believe they did tune down a song or two for Hogarth on this last tour, so who knows?)

The stumbling block for Kiss isn't about "bad blood" either; I have zero doubt that Ace will perform with the band at some point in this Final Tour.   The problem is Peter Criss; he literally cannot do it physically at this point.  This is the "Bill Ward" problem; I love Bill, and his jazz drumming is a CRUCIAL part of the early Sabbath sound (listen to the first album, or better yet, the Live From Paris material, partially released on "Past Lives"), but he COULD NOT perform what I saw in Massachusetts on that last tour five nights a week across three continents.   

...my question is why would the core band members disrespect the replacement to bring back a reunion lineup - Dream Theater being the prime example.

Can't speak for DT specifically, but while there is undoubtedly cases where the incumbent is pissed off, there are just as many cases where the new guy is like "dude, if you think I'm standing in the way of Slash/Rob Halford/Tom Petersson coming back, you're sniffing too much glue."   Even Steve Morse, who has been in Purple almost twice as long as Blackmore, has made it clear that if he wants back on stage with the band, he would gladly step aside (though this is suspect, because he's not the hurdle, Ian Gillan is).   This is a dated reference now that Chris has passed, but you don't become the singer or keyboard player of Yes without some understanding that you're keeping a seat warm for Jon and/or Rick. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
So, Mangini is just keeping the drum stool warm for Portnoy?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2019, 10:35:53 AM »

I'm not saying that at all, but as a general proposition, Mike M. doesn't live under a rock.  Having said that, who knows what the conversations were like (if any were even had)?   

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »

I'm not saying that at all, but as a general proposition, Mike M. doesn't live under a rock.  Having said that, who knows what the conversations were like (if any were even had)?

Probably not...haha. Given how it played out, JM and JP likely didn't expect him to say he wanted a break, and leave. But Damn, the way he made it seem is its HIS band. They called his bluff. But I know darn well they felt bummed.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2019, 10:43:14 AM »
As I have said before, I do believe that Mike M. will at some point decide to leave DT of his own accord. I don't think JP or any of DT would ask him to leave to bring back MP. However, if MM DID leave to do something else, I think it's a certainty MP would be back, and I think MM knows that. But to-date, it appears (in the limited exposure of MM in interviews I have seen) that MM is content with his role in DT, and has no plans to leave. Which means -- no MP.

As a fan, I do miss the looseness and spontaneity DT had with MP. MM is incredible, but he and MP are very different in their approach to drums, and I while I like both, I do miss MP from that perspective.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2019, 10:45:59 AM »
As I have said before, I do believe that Mike M. will at some point decide to leave DT of his own accord. I don't think JP or any of DT would ask him to leave to bring back MP. However, if MM DID leave to do something else, I think it's a certainty MP would be back, and I think MM knows that. But to-date, it appears (in the limited exposure of MM in interviews I have seen) that MM is content with his role in DT, and has no plans to leave. Which means -- no MP.

As a fan, I do miss the looseness and spontaneity DT had with MP. MM is incredible, but he and MP are very different in their approach to drums, and I while I like both, I do miss MP from that perspective.

There is no way MP is coming back. Imagine MP trying to play MM songs...haha :rollin
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2019, 10:59:17 AM »
Opeth  :P

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 11:57:13 AM »
There is no way MP is coming back. Imagine MP trying to play MM songs...haha :rollin
IF it were to happen, he'd play the songs his own way, just as he played Apocalypse 1470 BC (from Derek's first solo album, which had Virgil Donati drumming) his own way. And don't forget that MP was never one to play the songs he recorded exactly the same anyway in the live setting.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »

I think the first paragraph is probably right, with the exception of the word "certainty."  I wouldn't go that far -- especially given all of the legal undoing of things that certainly occurred in the year or two post-Sept. 2010.

As for the second paragraph, I guess I miss MP's personality, but I don't otherwise see much difference with MM.  The stuff that I hear most folks saying that they miss about MP was stuff that never interested me in the first place.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
From the outside it looks like the only frustration Mike ever had of his tenure is not being able to contribute as much as he wanted to. First he comes with the album already written, then the next album is done more or less in the same way, then the next album again is a concept album and JP and JR write it all on their own... this time around he got exactly what he wanted (a full band collaboration, he even contributed some lyrics) and by all accounts everybody was happy about it, so I can't see him leave for musical reasons anytime soon. Only other situations external to the band, such as family priorities, could make him walk away.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2019, 06:18:46 PM »

And on that note, I will add the VH1 line-up...I sincerely hope/pray that I am proven wrong (rumors are swirling), but I sincerely think that I will never VH with Michael Anthony.

I think Anthony and Roth would do it, so it's just a matter of the brothers pulling their heads out of their asses and swallowing their egos and doing it before they are all too old.  I know it's been said many times, but it's unbelievable to think of what a waste the last 20 years have been when you think of how much more new VH music we could have gotten.

I don't disagree with that last sentence; unless we're due for an 86-CD box set of all of Eddie's legendary studio tapes I can't think of a more legendary musician with less actual musical output.  No solo albums, no solo pieces, no "orchestral works"... having said that, none of any of that has anything to do with Michael Anthony.   I get it, taste is taste, and I'm not criticizing anyone for wanting that, but for me, begging for Michael Anthony to be back in Van Halen is - again, TO ME - like begging for Pete Willis to be back in Def Leppard.  I saw Van Halen with both Michael and Wolfie, and I'm sorry; if I didn't know better (and if it wasn't for the solo spot with the Jack Daniels bass) I'd never have known the difference.

I mostly agree, although Anthony is integral when it comes to the VH harmonies.  Pretty average bass player, for sure.  That aside, EVH's shabby treatment of him over the years has elevated his status in the eyes of many fans.  And I think many fans (not me) would rush to the bank to take out a loan to see Van Halen if the original lineup got back together to tour.  Many fans (not me) want to be able to say, "I saw this band with x-lineup," so they can check it off their bucket list.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 06:36:58 AM »
From the outside it looks like the only frustration Mike ever had of his tenure is not being able to contribute as much as he wanted to. First he comes with the album already written, then the next album is done more or less in the same way, then the next album again is a concept album and JP and JR write it all on their own... this time around he got exactly what he wanted (a full band collaboration, he even contributed some lyrics) and by all accounts everybody was happy about it, so I can't see him leave for musical reasons anytime soon. Only other situations external to the band, such as family priorities, could make him walk away.
Yeah. But I can see MP playing some guest spots for DT in the future.

DS and KM, no fucking way.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
Strapping Young Lad

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2019, 11:22:04 AM »
Skid Row.  Bach is dead to the rest of the band.

While there's the issue of band situations like these where the members hate each other so much they'd 'never' have a reunion, my question is why would the core band members disrespect the replacement to bring back a reunion lineup - Dream Theater being the prime example.

That's one that I will never understand. Not even for a 'one off' ala Rocklahoma?

Both sides come off as a bit nutty, but I am kinda confused they have never been able to bury the hatchet.

Saw this thread and immediately thought of Skid Row... man Bach could command that stage with them.  I wish they would bury the hatchet and get back together for something... can you imagine the anger in that studio!  We'd probably get a monster album out of it (Subhuman is underrated I think and there's anger all over those songs because they couldn't stand each other).  Not to be though I don't think.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »
Strapping Young Lad

Why?

Devin Townsend has said time and time again that he doesn't feel a connection to that music anymore and he's not interested in revisiting it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2019, 11:57:01 AM »
Strapping Young Lad

Why?

Devin Townsend has said time and time again that he doesn't feel a connection to that music anymore and he's not interested in revisiting it.

Indeed. I think that time a few years ago (maybe more than once?) when the guitarist joined DTP on stage for a few SYL songs is as close as you will get.
fanticide.bandcamp.com