Author Topic: Reunions that will never happen  (Read 2950 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Reunions that will never happen
« on: January 07, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
In the word of rock n' roll it seems that for a reunion it's not a matter of "if", but "when".

Black Sabbath reunited, Van Halen reunited, Kiss reunited, Iron Maiden reunited, Helloween reunited... there are so many examples of band that "would never reunite" and yet they did.

What bands do you think, however, will NOT reunite and why?

For this potentially short list, I propose Nightwish. Everyone in the band and in the fanbase is in love with their current singer, Floor Jansen, and the original one, Tarja Turunen, was unceremoniously fired with an open letter that in short said basically "Hi, we feel you're a spoiled bitch and your husband is an asshole, you're out. PS: all the internet knows about it", and I don't think she will ever forget that. So I can't imagine a scenario when Nightwish reunites with Tarja.

Other bands you think will never do the inevitable? (btw, until it actually happened, I would have included Helloween in the list.... so really, never say never I guess)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Reunions that will never happen
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:26:54 PM »
Tool

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »
Porcupine Tree
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 02:28:39 PM »
Dream Theater

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 02:34:24 PM »
Jellyfish
XTC
Peter Gabriel with Genesis
John Deacon with Queen
Kevin Moore with Dream Theater

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 02:34:36 PM »
The Beatles...because John and George are dead.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:36:28 PM »
I mean if we're doing this kind of impossible reunion might as well throw Lynyrd Skynyrd up there

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 02:40:53 PM »
I'll never say "never," but I'd say the likelihood of the original lineup (DeGarmo, Jackson, Tate, Rockenfield, Wilton) of Queensryche getting back together is pretty minuscule at best. Particularly if it doesn't happen in the next year.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »
I mean if we're doing this kind of impossible reunion might as well throw Lynyrd Skynyrd up there

Yeah, I didn't explicitly said so but I meant reunions in the realm of possibility, but that you think will not happen anyway. Otherwise we could also count the Heaven and Hell lineup of Black Sabbath and others 450 similar examples.

Also, I'm talking about "classic" / famous lineups - Blaze Bayley will never reunite with Iron Maiden, well, d'uh.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 03:25:41 PM »
Accept with UDO.
Judas Priest with KK
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 03:29:02 PM »
Journey.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 03:52:04 PM »
Helloween with...OH WAIT

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 03:54:38 PM »
Do you mean full on reunion or a one on off thing?

I'd add Metallica (Jason) to that. Or Megadeth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
I was being a wiseacre with my prior answer. ;)

I agree with the XTC and Porcupine Tree mentions, and would also throw in:

Styx (with Dennis DeYoung)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 04:19:03 PM »
Styx (with Dennis DeYoung)

Unfortunately....

Also, Rush.  The most that I think we might get is some sort of Lee/Lifeson project with a lyrical contribution from Peart.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »

I'd add Metallica (Jason) to that. Or Megadeth.

I think if Rob Trujillo ever walked away, Metallica wouldn’t hesitate to bring Jason back. Of course, Rob seems happy in the band and the other guys seem happy to have him on board.

Also, since Nick Menza died three years ago, Megadeth’s classic lineup can’t reunite.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 05:01:06 PM »
I can't see Metallica moving backwards and asking Jason back if Rob were to leave.

And my Megadeth comment was more aimed at Marty Friedman.

And to add to the list. Pain of Salvation. I'm talking One Hour - Be lineup.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 05:36:46 PM »
Rush is the winning answer. Hell freezes over all the time. People who hate each other personally or musically reunite despite all odds. Maybe for money, or maybe for the fans. Usually for money. Live Nation guarantees him enough money and Friedman will tour with Megadeth in a heartbeat. Newstead happens to be in San-Fran next time Metallica does one of those birthday gigs he'll play Whiplash and Creeping with them. Neil's retired, though, and he's not the flaky type. He's staying retired. By all accounts he doesn't even own a kit anymore.

Dream Theater won't reunite, but it's not because of Portnoy. At some point finances will dictate that they tour and/or record together. Moore ain't coming back, though.

I wouldn't rule out a PT tour. SW won't be going back to them full time, but he might get a wild hair and want to play with them again. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 05:54:26 PM »
I can't see Metallica moving backwards and asking Jason back if Rob were to leave.

Eh, I don't know. I feel like since Rob's been on board, Metallica has turned into a "family" unit. And Jason's a part of that. He's made multiple appearances with them since the split, and I think if Rob decided to walk away (I don't he will), that the other three would LOVE to play with Jason again, and vice versa.

As has been said, Dennis ain't coming back to Styx. But I'll still hold out hope until they die.

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »
Journey.

It is with a heavy heart that I am forced to agree with you.

And on that note, I will add the VH1 line-up...I sincerely hope/pray that I am proven wrong (rumors are swirling), but I sincerely think that I will never VH with Michael Anthony.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 06:28:21 PM »
Tool

This is not the "Albums that will never happen again" thread.  Tool still tours occasionally.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:03:06 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »

And on that note, I will add the VH1 line-up...I sincerely hope/pray that I am proven wrong (rumors are swirling), but I sincerely think that I will never VH with Michael Anthony.

I think Anthony and Roth would do it, so it's just a matter of the brothers pulling their heads out of their asses and swallowing their egos and doing it before they are all too old.  I know it's been said many times, but it's unbelievable to think of what a waste the last 20 years have been when you think of how much more new VH music we could have gotten.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »
Tool

This is not the "Albums that will never happen again" thread.  Tool still tours occasionally.

yeah but they'll never get together in the studio again

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 10:43:58 PM »
^^ All right, fair enough.  Can we throw System of a Down in the mix as well?  It seems like everyone is not on the same page in terms of making new music as well.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 10:52:17 PM »
Marillion with Fish.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »
^^ All right, fair enough.  Can we throw System of a Down in the mix as well?  It seems like everyone is not on the same page in terms of making new music as well.

You'd think?

And I'll say...

Mudvayne...I don't see chad and Greg joining anytime soon. Even though that band was rhythm based
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 01:03:57 AM »

I think we should consider, for the purpouse of funny speculation, full reunions, like a classic lineup reuniting and touring or releasing albums. It's too "easy" for anyone to bury the hatchet for a couple of hours just for an encore song at a local show.

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 01:33:09 AM »
I'd say Mr. Bungle is a pretty safe bet. But then I'd have said that about Faith No More a few years ago too and look what happened there.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 02:02:06 AM »
There's a possibility that Rush could get back together to do something in the future, not a full album and tour, but something on a much smaller scale. The three of them still get along, so while it's unlikely, it's not in that unlikely. Ditto Fish invited the other 4 members of Marillion to join him on stage a few years ago, there's no reason something like that couldn't happen again.

The bands I can't see reuniting are ones where there is bad blood between the members. I can't see the classic line-ups of Kiss or Van Halen getting back together, for example, and after last year's shenanigans, I can't see Lindsey Buckingham rejoining Fleetwood Mac anytime soon. Neither can I see Waters, Gilmour and Mason kissing and making up.

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 03:54:07 AM »
I wouldn't rule out a PT tour. SW won't be going back to them full time, but he might get a wild hair and want to play with them again. In fact, I'd be surprised if he didn't.

While I like your optimism, I don't see why this would happen. Steven Wilson is a larger act than he's ever been and he can play whatever the heck he wants with his current (solo) band. He's been playing PT songs with this line-up as well, so I don't see any 'need' for him to reunite his old band.

I'd say Mr. Bungle is a pretty safe bet.

Mr. Bungle is definitely a safe bet, unfortunately.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 04:09:56 AM »
With PT I would lean mostly towards no, but I could see it happen for like a special anniversary show or something. I don't think we'll get another PT album, or a full tour, but could see some sort of special Royal Albert Hall anniversary show happen. Not for money (as I think SW has other, better ways of earning that) but maybe just for a one off.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 05:07:37 AM »
Skid Row.  Bach is dead to the rest of the band.

While there's the issue of band situations like these where the members hate each other so much they'd 'never' have a reunion, my question is why would the core band members disrespect the replacement to bring back a reunion lineup - Dream Theater being the prime example.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ruba

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:24 AM »
The Smiths. There was the lawsuit about royalties and it seems Morrissey and Marr aren't willing to share a stage.

Kyuss. Josh Homme is a massive dick about that, with the lawsuit against Kyuss Lives! and all.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »

Eh, I don't know. I feel like since Rob's been on board, Metallica has turned into a "family" unit. And Jason's a part of that. He's made multiple appearances with them since the split, and I think if Rob decided to walk away (I don't he will), that the other three would LOVE to play with Jason again, and vice versa.

They have turned into a family unit, and they have had Jason play with them (30th Anniversary of the Black Album), but I'm with Adami here. If Rob walked away and they needed a bass player, I'm not sure they would go back to Jason. That said - I'm also with Adami in that I'd love to see Metallica reunite with Jason and tour. Just last night some random YouTubing took me to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyZHjFXv6ZI

It made me miss Jason so much, his stage presence and mostly his backing vocals here are soooooo great.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2019, 08:44:24 AM »
Skid Row.  Bach is dead to the rest of the band.

While there's the issue of band situations like these where the members hate each other so much they'd 'never' have a reunion, my question is why would the core band members disrespect the replacement to bring back a reunion lineup - Dream Theater being the prime example.

That's one that I will never understand. Not even for a 'one off' ala Rocklahoma?

Both sides come off as a bit nutty, but I am kinda confused they have never been able to bury the hatchet.