Author Topic: 'Hidden by Design' (some interesting stuff I learned while treasure-hunting)  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

Hi, everyone.

Back in October, I was honored to be trusted by Noxon the task of putting together a walkthrough of Freddy's 'treasure hunt'. As bonus content, I included some stuff I had recently researched and compiled (with help from several key people involved in the band's online presence).

A few days ago, Noxon posted this bonus content. You can read it here:

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2018/12/31/dream-theater-treasure-hunt-walkthrough-pt-6/

The article consists of the following:
  • Ciphers: a description of 5 of the ciphers used by Freddy, and how they work.
  • Easter Eggs: a compilation of funny stuff we discovered while treasure-hunting.
  • Summary: the key details/dates regarding the hunt, and a table with all the codes/ciphers/games involved.
  • A short history of Dream Theater online fan communities, going back to 1993 (or, possibly, 1992).
  • A short history of Dream Theater online, going back to 1996.
  • Distance over time timeline
  • 2019 anniversaries
  • Sources and resources (i.e., the tools I used when writing.)

As you can see, some of the content is not related to the hunt. If that's the one you'd like to read, you can simply search for Bonus tracks with your browser, and read what's below that title.

I hope this (particularly, the histories of the band's communities and websites) is of some interest.

Thanks once again to Noxon, Bosk, Weymolith, Mark Bredius, Setlist Scotty, Bogie, Rob Webster, Rudy van Ijzendoorn and Steffen Barabasch, for their help and suggestions. Thanks also to Darko Böhringer and Mark Maryanovich for their pictures and never-ending kind words. Finally, thanks to all the fellow Discord users for allowing me to use screenshots of their tweets. :)

PS: To anyone who would like to print and read the complete document (a 115-page PDF file), I can send you a link to my Google Drive.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:20:11 AM by Sebastián Pratesi »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Hi, everyone.

Back in October, I was honored to be trusted by Noxon the task of putting together a walkthrough of Freddy's 'treasure hunt'. As bonus content, I included some stuff I had recently researched and compiled (with help from several key people involved in the band's online presence).

A few days ago, Noxon posted this bonus content. You can read it here:

https://dreamtheater.club/blog/2018/12/31/dream-theater-treasure-hunt-walkthrough-pt-6/

The article consists of the following:
  • Ciphers: a description of 5 of the ciphers used by Freddy, and how they work.
  • Easter Eggs: a compilation of funny stuff we discovered while treasure-hunting.
  • Summary: the key details/dates regarding the hunt, and a table with all the codes/ciphers/games involved.
  • A short history of Dream Theater online fan communities, going back to 1993 (or, possibly, 1992).
  • A short history of Dream Theater online, going back to 1996.
  • Distance over time timeline
  • 2019 anniversaries
  • Sources and resources (i.e., the tools I used when writing.)

As you can see, some of the content is not related to the hunt. If that's the one you'd like to read, you can simply search for Bonus tracks with your browser, and read what's below that title.

I hope this (particularly, the histories of the band's communities and websites) is of some interest.

Thanks once again to Noxon, Bosk, Weymolith, Mark Bredius, Setlist Scotty, Bogie, Rob Webster, Rudy van Ijzendoorn and Steffen Barabasch, for their help and suggestions. Thanks also to Darko Böhringer and Mark Maryanovich for their pictures and never-ending kind words. Finally, thanks to all the fellow Discord users for allowing me to use screenshots of their tweets. :)

PS: To anyone who would like to print and read the complete document (a 115-page PDF file), I can send you a link to my Google Drive.

All of you guys have made a tremendous amount of work to make the wait so much fun and interesting! Thank you in particular Sebastian! What's more, you seem to be such a nice guy! And yes, I would like to read the whole PDF file. So give me the link, Goddammit!!! :metal :biggrin:

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Im just as confused as when the Treasure Hunt was happening, but I appreciate all the hard work and time spent on this!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline dream75

Good job, Sebastian  :tup

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

All of you guys have made a tremendous amount of work to make the wait so much fun and interesting! Thank you in particular Sebastian! What's more, you seem to be such a nice guy! And yes, I would like to read the whole PDF file. So give me the link, Goddammit!!! :metal :biggrin:

B.Lee
Thanks for the kind words.  :)
I'm sending you the link to the PDF as a PM.
Anyway, Noxon has posted almost all of the document in 6 installments at DT World's website so, if you have trouble viewing/downloading the PDF, you can check it out there too.

Im just as confused as when the Treasure Hunt was happening, but I appreciate all the hard work and time spent on this!
Thanks. The "Treasure Hunt" happened from July until early November. It was so much fun.
I haven't checked, but maybe you can still try the puzzles out.
Start here: https://www.facebook.com/TheDreamTheaterWorld/photos/a.977563095652365/2048953791846618

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Just read the anniversary stuff. Oh, thats why they decided to really celebrate Scenes. It's also Jordans 20th anniversary with the band.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)

B.Lee
Thanks for the kind words.  :)
I'm sending you the link to the PDF as a PM.
Anyway, Noxon has posted almost all of the document in 6 installments at DT World's website so, if you have trouble viewing/downloading the PDF, you can check it out there too.

Thanks, my man! :tup
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael