Author Topic: What was your No.1 musical discovery of 2018?  (Read 4946 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: What was your No.1 musical discovery of 2018?
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2019, 11:28:01 AM »
Dirt Poor Robins.

Some of their music is absolutely mind-blowing.

In a lot of ways, it's like having a 2nd The Dear Hunter, with their own Story/Conceptual world and the songwriting is as well composed and crafted, it's on a similar level.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 12:12:51 PM »
Didn't really discover much this year. Discounting bands that put out their first record this year, there are only 2 that I can think of.

Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly - Beardfish leader's other works. Bought the boxset and new record. Still listening to them, especially the new album Friendship. That ended up as my album of the year.

A Light Divided - An indie band that has self-released all of their material. Really enjoying their music. They keep evolving.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
do you have a number 1 musical discovery of 2018?

YYNOT.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpF9KnCcZM9KWovxn3TtZ9Q and https://yynot.bandzoogle.com/home

YYNOT was formed when its guitarist (Billy Alexander) came across a bass player (Tim Starace) who was posting Rush covers to YouTube.  They connected and started working together (remotely).  They recruited a young female singer named Rocky Kuner based on a Deep Purple cover video she had posted while she was attending the Orange County (CA) High School of the Arts.  A drummer was added, and they began posting full band covers of Rush songs (primarily from the Rush through Signals era).  They also began working on original material and released a self-titled debut album in 2018.

YYNOT's Rush covers are the best I've ever heard -- primarily because Rocky's voice can handle the high-range Geddy Lee vocals of the era.  Their cover of the entirety of side 1 of Hemispheres is simply amazing.  The originals are fairly heavily Rush inspired, but they manage to blend virtually the entirety of Rush's various sounds into something cohesive.  Their songs aren't as "proggy" as 1970s Rush and not as GUPpy as the "synth era," but they incorporate elements from both eras, and the result is really well done.

The band is currently working on playing gigs throughout the U.S. and (probably) trying to find a label to release the debut album on a wider basis.

They are good, but my god do I hate that name.   :tdwn

I see where you're coming from, but I don't really have a problem with it.

I'll be curious to see where things go with the band given (1) the significant age difference between Rocky and the other members of the band, and (2) the fact that the band began its existence as a "tribute band" -- indeed, the band's name is derived from the name of a Rush song.  I think it could be hard if/when they get to the point that they want to stop playing Rush covers as a significant element of their live shows.  I also have a feeling that, at some point, some manager or agent is going to get in Rocky's ear and talk about her moving out on her own since, from an "optics" perspective, she doesn't really "fit" with the other band members.  The fact that half the band lives in Socal and the other half in Florida (I think) may cause problems.  I'll enjoy the music while it lasts.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2019, 12:23:29 PM »
TesseracT
Fates Warning - Live over Europe really got me into their albums before Theories of Flight
Soen
The Ocean

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 12:26:09 PM »
Black Peaks - English band from my wifes hometown
Deafheaven - Love the music, but cannot hear one word from the vocalist - I am not sure there are any words.
Karmakanic - From Everminds recent top 50
Rivers of Nihil - Awesome band from Pittsburg
Caligula's Horse - Great band from Australia
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 12:34:56 PM »
Soen

They were pretty cool at ProgPower this year, I didn't know anyhting about them but seemed very similar to Tool.  Spoke to the singer very briefly at the bar as well, told him I enjoyed their set.

Caligula's Horse - Great band from Australia

They are on my list to check out this year as they are playing Progpower this year.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »
Got quite a few via my Roulette, and subsequent conversations with participants and subsequent branches from there.

It would be hard to pin down a top spot among:

Avantasia
Shadow Gallery
Allen/Lande
Vandroya
Pagan's Mind
Masterplan

But if I had to pick one, I might have to go with Ghost. They aren't near the top of my current rankings, but I've probably listened to them more than any other 2018 discovery and would have bought tour tix price unseen - would they have hit the PNW.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »
Ghost definitely seemed to win a lot of fans over in the US by opening for Maiden and then releasing a really awesome album.  I definitely started liking them much more this year, but my exposure was from the Iron Maiden tour in 2017.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
I'd say my biggest finds this year were...
Ostura- Album of the year stuff, just blew me away and really hasn't been out of rotation for more than a few days.

Amorphis- I'm later to this party, but a combo of having them sent in my roulette, seeing them live, and Queen of Time being a close second for AOTY really helped them make a deep mark on me this year.

Alien Weaponry- A discovery from the top 50 list of Glenn of PPUSA, this unique combo of raw metal and a Maori Haku fucking amazed me. Trust me guys give this one a spin.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 03:08:06 PM »

- Loverboy

WUT? :lol

This was my Top 10 albums for 2018:
1. Tribulation-Down Below
2. Lost Domain-...In The Waiting Room Of Death

3. Judas Priest-Fire Power
4. Lords Of The Trident-Shadows From The Past
5. Redemption-Long Day's Journey Into Night
6. Euphoreon-Ends Of The Earth
7. Structural Disorder-..And the Cage Crumbles In The Final Scene

4 of my Top 7 albums were by bands I had never heard of a year ago.
All four are fantastic albums.

2018 is a year that I really opened up to harsh vocals and female vocals. I think I had just grown somewhat bored. I ran my second roulette, but did it, not with the usual suspects, but with young guys that I had pretty much zero interactions with beforehand. They were all cool enough to participate, and I've participated in most of theirs since. It's been quite a journey.

I also went back in time and discovered Blind Guardian, a band that I had pretty much never followed. Really impressed.

1. Lost Domain - ...In the Waiting Room of Death

TAC suggested this band, and I was blown away how good the record was (and their previous EP). The best way to describe them, at least for me, is to call them a hybrid of Queensryche and Fates Warning, with a commanding female lead vocalist, and a very riff-oriented vibe. It's not as proggy as Dream Theater, but the prog is there. Tons of great drama on the record, without being melodramatic.

Yeah, Sam, this is a fantastic album. It's addictive. I wish it was a double album. The vocalist is ridiculously strong. There's a confidence in her voice. And holy shit the production is amazing. Might have the best drum sound I've ever heard.
I was listening to it one night, and for some reason, you popped into my head. Knowing you're a riff guy, and there are QRish moments and transistions, I PM'd you.

As for Tribulation, their earlier albums are more straighforward death metal kind of thing, but Down Below is moody and the vocals don't really bother me. More like a "heavy" Lemmy. They are a cross between Thin Lizzy and classic Fields Of The Nephilim. This album gives me goosebumps all over.

Ostura- Album of the year stuff, just blew me away and really hasn't been out of rotation for more than a few days.

I need to give this album a second chance. I dropped the needle on it when you started pimping them, but for slme reason it didn't resonate. But that song you sent Indiscipline was awesome.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2019, 03:11:56 PM »
Amorphis- I'm later to this party, but a combo of having them sent in my roulette, seeing them live, and Queen of Time being a close second for AOTY really helped them make a deep mark on me this year.

Another band on my list for 2019.  I'll be seeing them with Delain and Anneke Van Giersbergen in September so I've been telling myself to check them out sometime.

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »
Dir en Grey - Probably one of my favorite artists that I've discovered this year and the creators of the only album I gave a 5/5 this year (Dum Spiro Spero). Unlike a lot of metal bands I've heard, they have a great, unique sound and the most impressive vocal performance that's not by Ella Fitzgerald or an opera soprano singing The Doll Song or something.

CHVRCHES - Another favorite. Some great electropop with three consistently solid albums.

Kendrick Lamar - I still need to be in the mood to listen to rap, but when I am Kendrick Lamar has got to be one of my go-to's. So glad I finally decided to check his stuff out!

Justice - Another really great electronic band. Audio Video Disco has been one of my mainstays this year.

Gojira - One of the grooviest freakin' metal bands of all time. Really solid stuff all around.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »

Another band on my list for 2019.  I'll be seeing them with Delain and Anneke Van Giersbergen in September so I've been telling myself to check them out sometime.

Just give their latest a spin, you won't regret it bro.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 05:40:14 PM »
Dir en Grey - Probably one of my favorite artists that I've discovered this year and the creators of the only album I gave a 5/5 this year (Dum Spiro Spero). Unlike a lot of metal bands I've heard, they have a great, unique sound and the most impressive vocal performance that's not by Ella Fitzgerald or an opera soprano singing The Doll Song or something.

I'm sure I played you a Dir en Grey song, from Dum Spiro Spero, in a plug.dj session. I don't think I love the band as much as you've obviously grown to love them, but DSS is great!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 06:22:17 PM »
I would go with either Ostura or YYNOT or Imperial Triumphant. Cant decide....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2019, 09:56:18 PM »

I'm sure I played you a Dir en Grey song, from Dum Spiro Spero, in a plug.dj session. I don't think I love the band as much as you've obviously grown to love them, but DSS is great!

You might have! If you did tho, it was probably a long time ago because I don't remember lol.

And how much I like the band depends on the album. DSS? Masterpiece. Arche? Excellent, but sadly not on Spotify. Uroboros? Good, but not as good as Arche. Withering Death? Alright. The most recent one? Eesh.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2019, 05:18:31 AM »
- Loverboy
WUT? :lol

That was my reaction too!

Couple bands that impressed the hell out of me from my Roulette ... Cell15, and The Ralph are ones that I instantly bought the discography.  Got some more exploration to do still.

As for the 2018 releases where I'm gonna check the back catalog, I'll throw out:

Divine Ascension - thanks TAC!  Aussie ... female-led.  Right up my alley.
Voodoo Circle - Herbie Langhans takes over vocals, and this is a nice old-school hard rock album
Saffire - another old-school straight up rock 'n' roll
Walls of Babylon - not enough superlatives for their release this year
Ethernity - if you're a fan of Magali Luyten, check this out.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2019, 05:29:21 AM »
I've been pimping Saffire and The Ralph (one of very few "djenty" projects I can enjoy)  in roulettes for years so I might've been indirectly involved in those :)

I remember sampling Ethernity and can't say I thought she was in Magali territory in terms of vocal power - will revisit.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 05:31:48 AM »
I've been pimping Saffire and The Ralph (one of very few "djenty" projects I can enjoy)  in roulettes for years so I might've been indirectly involved in those :)

I remember sampling Ethernity and can't say I thought she was in Magali territory in terms of vocal power - will revisit.

Saffire... most definitely your submissions of them got me on the hook.  If you gave The Ralph to Bolsters, then yes, I suspect you are indirectly responsible.   ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2019, 05:46:04 AM »
If you gave The Ralph to Bolsters, then yes, I suspect you are indirectly responsible.   ;)
Correct.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2019, 08:25:10 AM »
I feel like I should give a few of their albums a listen because I have their Greatest Hits (fond memories of my dad playing it at home when i was younger) and there's some really good songs on it. I guess I always feel a bit bad when coming off a greatest hits as my starting point as it kinda ruins the chance to go into the albums 100% blind. :P
I definitely recommend checking them out! I'm with you on compilations, as I prefer to get the full picture of each band instead of mere hits. My folks actually have Automatic for the People on CD, but Murmur was the first one I listened to, since it happened to be available when I was browsing CDs in the city library.
REM, good call! I know and like Around The Sun quite a bit, but the album that I've been listening to for around 15 years (yes, since I was 10) is Automatic For The People. One of the best 90s albums for me!
I know I already called Document my favorite, but Automatic is up there too - I love the introspective vibe of the whole record, and Try Not to Breathe, Sweetness Follows and the last few songs in particular are great tunes.

I haven't heard Around the Sun yet, but it's interesting that you mentioned that album, because I read that it was widely regarded as a disappointment at the time and the band even thought about breaking up afterwards.
Have to throw some love to Murmur, one of my favorite debut albums ever, and still a unique record in their catalogue (they never quite made another just like it).
Oh yeah, Murmur has that jangly sound that I like about The Smiths too, and it's also special to me for being the first REM album I listened to. Great debut!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2019, 08:32:31 AM »
Depends on the criteria we're using... brand new artist you've never heard of, or new artist you've heard of but never listened to?

For a brand new artist, for me, it's a two-way tossup between Mystery's The World Is A Game and IQ's The Road of Bones. They were two of the first entries in my first roulette here and they still get regular play and I listened to them so much last year. Definitely turned me into a big fan of both bands.

For a new artist I've heard of but never listened to I think it's another toss-up between Closing Time by Tom Waits and Eye In The Sky by The Alan Parsons Project. Both were also sent in my roulette and I can't stop listening to either of them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2019, 09:49:33 AM »
Without a doubt my answer would have to be Cardiacs. I had seen the name before, never bothered to check them out, but I am so glad LordCost sent them in my roulette this year. As for other discoveries, I think Swans (again), Dvne (only one album), The Hirsch Effekt (only listened to one album I think, but it was in heavy rotation) and Perihelion Ship are up there, along with lots of bands I discovered through my own roulette (especially the bands I bought albums from) and by playing in roulettes.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline romdrums

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »
Night Verses.   Their album From the Gallery of Sleep has been one of my favorites from 2018.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »
check out toska and poly-math if you want more instrumental math rock-y stuff imo

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2019, 05:51:18 PM »
Night Verses.   Their album From the Gallery of Sleep has been one of my favorites from 2018.

Just dropped the needle on that. Pretty cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2019, 07:35:29 PM »
check out toska and poly-math if you want more instrumental math rock-y stuff imo

I grabbed Toska when that came out, need to get Poly-math.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2019, 12:10:45 AM »

Blur - One of those bands I was familiar with the name but other than Song 2 (which I don't care for that much) was unfamiliar with their music. Became a really big surprise for me as their discography had tons of variety and quality, and I put a lot of time into listening to all their albums and I was really pleasantly surprised. I think Song 2 still remains a bit meh (decent 2 min song but nothing mindblowing) but Blur overall has really become one of my favorite bands and I would rank them higher than a band like Radiohead who are from the same country and have been active kinda the same time period.

Nice.  They've been my favorite since 1991.  There's only a handful of songs since then I don't care for.  Have you listened to their b-sides?

I'm still buzzin on the spacey disco funk of RAH Band's Mystery album.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2019, 12:41:55 AM »

I haven't heard The Ralph since my old laptop decided to freak on me. Need to get the albums again.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2019, 01:09:44 AM »
Aww man, forgot all about The Ralph...I'll have to give them a whirl tomorrow, good stuff there.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2019, 06:09:28 AM »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2019, 06:17:33 AM »
The Dear Hunter, Blue Food, Snarky Puppy, Beardfish.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2019, 07:09:50 AM »
Without a doubt my answer would have to be Cardiacs. I had seen the name before, never bothered to check them out, but I am so glad LordCost sent them in my roulette this year. As for other discoveries, I think Swans (again), Dvne (only one album), The Hirsch Effekt (only listened to one album I think, but it was in heavy rotation) and Perihelion Ship are up there, along with lots of bands I discovered through my own roulette (especially the bands I bought albums from) and by playing in roulettes.

Cardiacs needs more love! Definitely my favorite band together with Oceansize.  :hat

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2019, 09:37:11 AM »
The Dear Hunter, Blue Food, Snarky Puppy, Beardfish.
i helped!  :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2019, 06:24:15 AM »
There's a couple I can think of

Bend Sinister
John Wesley
Mystery
North Atlantic Oscillation
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.