Author Topic: The Punisher - Season 2 airs on Netflix January 18th, 2019  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Punisher - Season 2 airs on Netflix January 18th, 2019
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2019, 03:55:50 PM »
Yeah but as a stereotypical therapist she's perfect. :p

I actively despise her character and her entire story arc thus far.

It's dragging this season down. I really enjoy the rest of it. Though, as of now (episode 8 or something) they really need to figure out the story lines. It's like two different stories just kind of happening. The evil Christian dude seems totally unrelated to Russo. Season should have focused on one or the other. Doing both is not working out.

Also as far as the therapist, I liked her much more as a lesbian cop on Supergirl. MMmmmm.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
Therapist going full blow villian is just mind numbingly stupid.

Sorry, this god damn character.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 01:09:01 AM »
I actually agree with the two story arc thing... I'd imagine they didn't want to commit a full 13 episodes to Jigsaw so that's where the Bishop arc came in. I had no big issue with her going villain, though it was a bit predictable and silly tbh. Even her backstory didn't fully justify that level of insanity. Crazy yes, but damn man.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »
Finally wrapped up season two. All in all I liked it but I agree that it’s not quite as good as season 1 level. Something was ‘off’ for me and I think it was Russo’s character and the way they handled him. I never really got on board with his arc. It was fine and all but I just didn’t like it very much. I almost wish they’d have just ignored Russo’s character.....left him in the hospital or a coma or whatever and let that be that and given Frank a different Foe in his place.

Because, I didn’t mind the two arc story approach.....I liked the other assasin John....and can understand why Frank didn’t kill him. He was just another ‘killer’ manipulated by men/women of power so Frank gave him a pass and a chance with his kids.

I’d watch a third season if they had one but as we’ve seen.....I can’t imagine they green light another one especially if they canned the very popular ‘Daredevil’

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »
I finally talked to my kid about this season, and she hated it (her words). She felt that they wasted Punisher's main foe by diluting him with the other story arc. I'm curious now, I wonder if they ran with both arcs because they knew it was going to be their last season and wanted to bring closure to Jigsaw? And maybe they didn't want to do another whole season of Billy being the main villain so they added the Bishop arc.

Just speculating out my ass here.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
I don't wanna be a downer but i'm really struggle with this season, i'm 6 episodes in and my interest keeps dwindling the more I watch sadly.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 06:40:30 PM »
I don't wanna be a downer but i'm really struggle with this season, i'm 6 episodes in and my interest keeps dwindling the more I watch sadly.  :-\

I still enjoyed the season but it's fair to say that season 1 was much more enthralling from start to finish.

My two cents as stated in my above post is that they missed the mark with Russo's character this season....on multiple aspects. I didn't 'believe' his arc at all (as much as you can believe these types of stories/characters)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 11:51:24 AM »
WIthout looking at the above posts, I'm nine episodes into the second season. I can say that at least up to this point, I thought Season One was better. But I still like this season.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Adami

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »
Yea, as much as I really like general portrayal of Billy, they could have left him out of this season completely. That would have allowed a much more intense look at Pilgrim, who had a lot of potential but was largely pushed aside for more Billy.

And that GOD DAMN THERAPIST! UGH!

Never seen a character drag something down so far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »
And that GOD DAMN THERAPIST! UGH!

Never seen a character drag something down so far.

Yeah....she was a part of the whole thing that didn't jive well with Russo's character. She made no sense. Outside of being soldiers....Billy and her Father had nothing in common. Billy was a cold blooded murderer....from what you could glean from her recount of her story her Dad and mom were splitting up cuz the dude was probably F'd up from serving in a war....but never hinted at being near the level of a murderous killer like Billy was. So why was she so intent on 'fixing' or helping Billy when he was a pretty horrible person?

Let alone the issues pertaining to her being a 'professional' therapist (which I'll take your word on) where she seemed to be a pretty manipulative one at that....taking advantage of the trust people placed in her.

I agree that letting Russo's character 'simmer' for a season to eventually get back to and develop better/further in later seasons. Give Castle a primary foe....like Pilgrim.....and really flesh that out over the season. Again, I just think the mismanaged story line and arc of Billy took away from this season....it was pretty sub par, especially after the first season where the show was pretty well done.

Offline Adami

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
I think the most depressing thing about these Netflix shows is that (with exceptions) they did perfect casting and now won't have anything to do with the MCU.

They're not going to find a better Matt Murdock, or Luke Cage, or Frank Castle (not even counting Wilson Fisk and Kilgrave). And if we want to see these characters in the movies, they'll probably be new actors. A real shame.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2019, 02:41:39 PM »
I think the most depressing thing about these Netflix shows is that (with exceptions) they did perfect casting and now won't have anything to do with the MCU.

They're not going to find a better Matt Murdock, or Luke Cage, or Frank Castle (not even counting Wilson Fisk and Kilgrave). And if we want to see these characters in the movies, they'll probably be new actors. A real shame.

SO True! Netflix has had a pretty good eye for casting. (Not counting Birdbox)

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »

I don't track things closely, but are you sure that the actors playing the characters wouldn't be in movies if Disney went that route? Because I agree, hard to deny great casting, and its just a matter of signing the particular actors to contracts.

I just finished Punisher Season 2 last night. Good run up to the end. I did feel like it dragged a little bit, and then they went nuts the last two episodes. But overall, I really enjoyed it, and felt it was a great ending (?) if it doesn't ever continue on-screen. I think they did a great arc with Frank Castle, in establishing his character and making him human, but still maintaining who he is and who he has become. Great writing. Sounds easy to do with an established character, but in some ways, I think it is harder on a writer to "get it right" with an existing character, as opposed to a new one.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!