Author Topic: Death Comes In Threes  (Read 1360 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Death Comes In Threes
« on: January 02, 2019, 08:36:09 PM »
2019 starts off with three celebrity deaths. I know that people have been discussing Mean Gene in the Wrestling thread, but I thought I'd make a thread with all of the celebrity deaths today.

RIP "Mean" Gene Okerlund

RIP Bob Einstein aka Super Dave

RIP Daryl Dragon from Captain and Tennille

All three died today at the age of 76. They're all sad deaths and icons in their field, but for me Super Dave hits the hardest. I always enjoyed watching his show and loved his appearances on Norm MacDonald's podcast and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Really sad. I also learned today that Albert Brooks is Super Dave's brother.

Let's hope 2019 isn't like this. And this is only Day 2.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline masterthes

Re: Death Comes In Threes
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 07:18:46 AM »
Wait, Albert Brooks real name is Albert Einstein?!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 07:30:58 AM »
Funkhouser was one of the best characters on Curb IMO.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 08:28:55 AM »
I really loved Bizarre as a kid. I'm sure the T&A had nothing to do with it. Super Dave was certainly a big part of the show, and Byner was, of course, legendary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:51 AM »
I didn't even hear about Funkhouser; that sucks.  He was a big part of Curb.   I love that episode where his nephew hurt his arm opening the pickle jar for Larry.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 09:56:24 AM »
Funkhouser was one of the best characters on Curb IMO.

Yea, he was great in that show and will be missed.  I didn't know him from anything else though.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »
Wait, Albert Brooks real name is Albert Einstein?!

Yup (Albert Lawrence Einstein), and I didn't know that he and Super Dave were related.

I really loved Bizarre as a kid. I'm sure the T&A had nothing to do with it. Super Dave was certainly a big part of the show, and Byner was, of course, legendary.

That show was on when I was in my teen years, so the stupid comedy and T&A had a LOT to do with me liking it.

2019 starts off with three celebrity deaths. I know that people have been discussing Mean Gene in the Wrestling thread, but I thought I'd make a thread with all of the celebrity deaths today.

RIP "Mean" Gene Okerlund

RIP Bob Einstein aka Super Dave

RIP Daryl Dragon from Captain and Tennille

All three died today at the age of 76. They're all sad deaths and icons in their field, but for me Super Dave hits the hardest. I always enjoyed watching his show and loved his appearances on Norm MacDonald's podcast and Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and on Curb Your Enthusiasm. Really sad. I also learned today that Albert Brooks is Super Dave's brother.

Let's hope 2019 isn't like this. And this is only Day 2.

I don't know the wrestling guy, but I've been saying this for a while:  For those of us in our 40s and 50s, there are a LOT of deaths coming our way for entertainers we grew up with.  The two surviving Beatles and Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are in their late 70s.  Three-fourths of Black Sabbath are 70.  Jon Anderson is over 70.  These guys aren't gonna live forever.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 11:19:42 AM »
Three greatest living musicians right now: ____, ____, ____

My vote:
1. McCartney
2. Springsteen
3. Toss up between Brian Wilson/Mick Jagger/Bob Dylan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »

My vote:
1. McCartney
2. Springsteen
Um, OK?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 11:37:31 AM »

My vote:
1. McCartney
2. Springsteen
Based on the thread, I assume you want all of them to die?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »

My vote:
1. McCartney
2. Springsteen
Based on the thread, I assume you want all of them to die?
Following
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 12:21:57 PM »
You guys need help.

No, someone mentioned that at our age, we can expect a LOT of our favorite musicians to pass in coming years, and I took that as a chance to ask, who are, in your opinion, the three greatest living musicians right now? 

Yeah, it'll be sad when Jon Anderson passes, but it will be a global event of epic proportions when Sir Paul passes. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 03:33:54 PM »
I imagine if someone managed to go through life without hearing a note of rock music they would still know who Paul McCartney was.

Man I hadn't thought of Super Dave in I can't imagine how many years. And did someone mention Bizarre? I remember as a kid once playing in the TV room and glancing up at the TV and seeing the biggest pair* of coconuts and her yelling at my dad to change the channel.

*at that point they might have been the only pair other than my mom's. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 08:14:16 PM »
I didn't even hear that Super Dave died. Man, he was hilarious.  Just a couple of months ago, I was binge watching his old Carson and Letterman clips on YouTube.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 01:37:53 AM »
I didn't even hear that Super Dave died. Man, he was hilarious.  Just a couple of months ago, I was binge watching his old Carson and Letterman clips on YouTube.
I did that last night after I heard he had passed away. It really put a smile on my face. I figured I’d watch Curb Your Enthusiasm this weekend.

Stadler brings up something that I’ve been thinking about since 2016 when a bunch of musicians died. In my head, I keep reminding myself of all these musicians I want to see in concert before they pass away. Steve Miller was in town last summer and I made it a point to go see him since he’s getting older. Still need to see Gordon Lightfoot as well. There’s a list in my head and it keeps growing as artists come to mind. When Prince died, that’s when I started thinking about it more. For the record, Prince is still mentioned at least once a month here on the news in Minnesota.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 07:01:44 AM »
I did that last night after I heard he had passed away. It really put a smile on my face. I figured I’d watch Curb Your Enthusiasm this weekend.

Stadler brings up something that I’ve been thinking about since 2016 when a bunch of musicians died. In my head, I keep reminding myself of all these musicians I want to see in concert before they pass away. Steve Miller was in town last summer and I made it a point to go see him since he’s getting older. Still need to see Gordon Lightfoot as well. There’s a list in my head and it keeps growing as artists come to mind. When Prince died, that’s when I started thinking about it more. For the record, Prince is still mentioned at least once a month here on the news in Minnesota.

Not to steal your thunder, but my ex- was something of a... whatever word you want to use.  I'd say "hey, Iron Maiden is coming in the spring, I'm going to try to go".   So the show would come closer and it'd be like "what are you doing that for?" or "Oh, you're going out AGAIN?" (I rarely went out, at least without her).  Some nonsense, and so shows became a low priority (though that's when I really started going by myself; it was just better).  So when I remarried, one of the conditions for both of us was, we get to do those things that are important to us.   And seeing shows like you mention above is part of that.  I've seen Schenker (FINALLY!), Billy Squier, The Dixie Dregs, Shattered Fortress, Gene Simmons solo, a ton others.  While my days of seeing Aerosmith in an arena are probably over (I've seen them 7 times and paying $200 to sit in the lower bowl halfway across the arena just doesn't excite anymore) I'm making it a point to see people/bands that aren't doing 200 dates a year, every year.   I got to see Temple of the Dog only a couple months before Chris Cornell passed.  Springsteen on Broadway.   Ritchie Blackmore from the front row (even though I wasn't dressed for it, but I got to shake hands with the Man In Black, my favorite musician of all time, and say thank you to Candace, who is even more beautiful in person. She is shockingly pretty.), Billy Squier in  his solo show with GE Smith (that was a-MAZ-ing), Myles Kennedy in New York on HIS solo tour...

This year, Lennon-Claypool is coming, and I'm going.  Might see Schenker again.   Might go see Queen with Adam Lambert.  Going to see Maiden again. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »
Stadler, I am with you too.  My x was not cool with me going out to concerts a lot.  Sure I could go to a few a year, but it would be with a bunch of BS from her.  Once that was over and I was more free, I started going to more and more shows.  And my current GF started dating me and it was already established that this is what I like to do and you kind of have to accept it, which not only she does but she likes to tag along too sometimes.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 08:43:04 AM »
This isn't a celebrity related story, but there was a triple homicide in my area just before New Years. The town of Port Angeles Washington on the outskirts, three people were found dead in their home shot multiple times.
 What really bothers me is that they were nice people trying to help out others by giving them a place to stay.  It's evident that it was one of those people they were trying to help that felt entitled and probably got angry when he didn't get what he wanted. The killer is still at large and the investigators are hoping someone can step forward with information on who did this.  It's rare that anything like that happens around here but it just goes to show that you can't trust anyone, even if you're trying to help them..  >:( :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP