Author Topic: The 2020 Election Thread  (Read 41717 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Inventory!
    • Overhaul
Re: The 2020 Election Thread
« Reply #1680 on: May 15, 2020, 12:52:09 PM »
Another point people are avoiding is that Biden has always been a lousy speaker. This was well known even when he was chosen as Obama's running-mate and often made him the butt of jokes.

While this is true.....there's no denying the majority of his televised interviews lately he's looked really confused and tired. He may have bee gaffe proned in the past....but now he truly looks and sounds....well.....old and tired.

Yup. It's gonna be really sad watching him debate Trump. No one actually discussing anything of any value, both being dicks to each other, sounding completely insane.

Bet it'll get the highest ratings ever.

:lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline emtee

« Reply #1681 on: May 15, 2020, 01:20:34 PM »
Intrigued about the Revil hacker story. They upped the ransom to 42 million. They claim to have a trove of dirty laundry on Trump. The law firm they hacked also reps Madonna, Lady Gaga and U2 as well as many other celebs.

This ransom hacking is out of control.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1682 on: May 15, 2020, 01:30:43 PM »
Another point people are avoiding is that Biden has always been a lousy speaker. This was well known even when he was chosen as Obama's running-mate and often made him the butt of jokes.

While this is true.....there's no denying the majority of his televised interviews lately he's looked really confused and tired. He may have bee gaffe proned in the past....but now he truly looks and sounds....well.....old and tired.

Yup. It's gonna be really sad watching him debate Trump. No one actually discussing anything of any value, both being dicks to each other, sounding completely insane.

Bet it'll get the highest ratings ever.

It's going to be a freaking train wreck. One I won't miss  :lol   I lay even odds Biden punches Trump in the nose. He'd win in a landslide if he did
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1683 on: May 15, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
My dad is at the stage where he recognizes the issues and yes, it depresses him terribly.

My concern.with Biden is the regularity with which he struggles. It's not an occasional blunder, it's a high percentage of the time. I think there may be some merit to the fact that he tries to be so pc all the time--finding the words which seem less likely to cause any unwanted backlash-- that it trips him up. Or, maybe, like my grandma when she was still alive, she was full of so many prescription meds, she didn't know up from down.

As we get closer to the election he will be called upon to speak more frequently. It will be telling.

If it matters to anyone, my dad is going through that, and he's very similar in terms of his cognizance.  He is (was?) one of the smartest people I've ever known, and a renaissance man in the true sense of the word.  Now, there are moments when I'll call him with a question on my car, and he'll walk me through the fix, over the phone, from memory.   There are other times he'll call me and have trouble articulating the "banking transaction" he was concerned about.   Some times he'll launch into a story and stop and say "I know I've told you this, but I just wanted to go over it again".  Other times he'll launch into a story and forget that he told me entirely.   But he DOES know he's not where he used to be, and I see anger from him like I've never seen in 50-some-odd years of knowing him.

I agree that it's foolhardy to give medical/psychological analysis over soundbites and video snippets, but on the same token, fair is fair.  Whatever criteria merits scorn for one ought to merit the same scorn for the other, all things being equal. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:45:02 PM by Stadler »

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1684 on: May 15, 2020, 01:33:25 PM »
Remember when Hillary was too sick and frail to be president (when she had walking pneumonia) and she was dying?  Those are the same people claiming Biden has dementia.

That said, as we all age we all lose some amount of cognitive functioning/acuity.  I wouldn't be surprised that both Biden and Trump sufferer from that.

And don't politicians have to pass basic physical exams which would presumably include at least a baseline cognitive exam?  Yeah, yeah, I know...Trump's personal physical said he was perfect in ever possible way so we should take all of that with a grain of salt.  But a physician knowingly given the an a-ok for a patient with an obvious neurological disease like dementia to run the country would be hard to believe.  Even if they were paid off to do so, keeping it a secret for long would ultimately show the physician's duplicity.  No doctor I know of would risk that kind of malpractice or publicity debacle.
I'm (literally) old enough to remember when 3,000 people died in New York City and the whole country treated it like an attack on the whole country

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1685 on: May 15, 2020, 01:41:01 PM »
Don't forget about those who basically said in 2012, "Don't vote for McCain! He could die at any time and then Sarah Palin would be the president!"  A scary thing back then for sure :lol, but throwing shade at the health of a presidential candidate is not something either side has a monopoly on.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1686 on: May 15, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »
Don't forget about those who basically said in 2012, "Don't vote for McCain! He could die at any time and then Sarah Palin would be the president!"  A scary thing back then for sure :lol, but throwing shade at the health of a presidential candidate is not something either side has a monopoly on.
Hell, McCain's gotten it from both directions. Bush Jr was far more vicious about him than Obama was, hinting that he'd left his marbles in Hanoi. Then Trump really went to town on him. Yeah, there was speculation about his health during his race against Obama, but his own side hit him with it a lot harder than the democrats.

Man, that's fucked up.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1687 on: May 15, 2020, 01:48:37 PM »
Hell, McCain's gotten it from both directions. Bush Jr was far more vicious about him than Obama was, hinting that he'd left his marbles in Hanoi. Then Trump really went to town on him. Yeah, there was speculation about his health during his race against Obama, but his own side hit him with it a lot harder than the democrats.

Man, that's fucked up.

Pretty much, yeah.  Dirty pool is pretty much Politics 101.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1688 on: May 20, 2020, 07:51:35 AM »
You wanna see Pelosi and company tied up in knots...Trump should wake up one morning and declare that he's decided that the Dem platform is better for America and that he is going to fully implement their ideas.

Pelosi be like..."we don't agree with our platform any longer. We're joining the Reps now!."

They are genetically incapable of agreeing with each other.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1689 on: May 20, 2020, 12:57:32 PM »
You wanna see Pelosi and company tied up in knots...Trump should wake up one morning and declare that he's decided that the Dem platform is better for America and that he is going to fully implement their ideas.

Pelosi be like..."we don't agree with our platform any longer. We're joining the Reps now!."

They are genetically incapable of agreeing with each other.

Pelosi doesn’t like trump or republicans, but she’s not stupid.  She’d say thank you and take it all.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline emtee

« Reply #1690 on: May 22, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
Joe the gaffer stepped in it again. He was being interviewed on a black radio program Charlemain Tha God or some such, and the guy said black people were having difficulty choosing between him and Trump. His snarky response was, "If you're having trouble choosing then you ain't black."

Apparently it was tense for a while but they patched things up and The Gaffer agreed to come back on the program. He needs a gaff modulator. Hopefully somebody close to him will invent one or try a ventriquilist act.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1691 on: May 22, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
Snarky, yeah, but not much of a gaff. That's exactly what he meant to say and he's pretty much correct. Sounds like a Charlemagne problem and not a Biden problem.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #1692 on: May 22, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »
Snarky, yeah, but not much of a gaff. That's exactly what he meant to say and he's pretty much correct. Sounds like a Charlemagne problem and not a Biden problem.

Correct? Whoa. Black people shouldn't have trouble deciding? It should be an auto-vote just because he's a Democrat? Interesting .

Well, I'm not black but I'm sure having a hard time deciding. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1693 on: May 22, 2020, 09:59:37 AM »

Correct? Whoa. Black people shouldn't have trouble deciding? It should be an auto-vote just because he's a Democrat? Interesting .

I think he was saying that Trump is a pretty obvious bad choice for black folk. I don't care or agree, but as Barto said, he said what he meant to say.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #1694 on: May 22, 2020, 10:18:19 AM »
I don't disagree that he meant what he said. The media, left and right are jumping all over this and demanding an apology. We'll see where it goes. How he said it--the tone and slanty dialect--is part of the issue.

Online Adami

« Reply #1695 on: May 22, 2020, 10:20:22 AM »
I don't disagree that he meant what he said. The media, left and right are jumping all over this and demanding an apology. We'll see where it goes. How he said it--the tone and slanty dialect--is part of the issue.

Oh yea. Dude is responsible for a lot of palms hitting a lot of foreheads.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1696 on: May 22, 2020, 10:41:01 AM »

You're half correct. It shouldn't be automatic, but it should be obvious. And for the vast majority of black folk it is. They already lean democrat in huge numbers, and Biden is more popular than most other democrats in the black communities. 
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #1697 on: May 22, 2020, 10:50:04 AM »
The problem for me is that any statement of this sort presupposes that adherence to tribalism is more important than ones individuality. That regardless if your circumstances are different than others in the tribe--your lot in life, your upbringing, education, belief system, etc.--you better fall in line,. It's a truly arrogant and destructive default mindset.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: May 23, 2020, 08:12:34 AM »
it's also yet another sign - to me - that Democrats have not learned the lesson (one of them) of the Trump era.   To some, the perception was we were spending too much time on the specifics of identity politics, and not enough time on the country as a whole, sowing divisiveness.  We had Hillary not helping matters lumping those that thought differently than her into the morally judgmental category of "deplorable".   

The primary criticism of Trump is his divisiveness; not wrong, mind you, but how in God's name do you expect to cultivate unity by implying - no, outright STATING - that your cultural and racial identity isn't authentic if you don't believe what Joe is selling?   I'm already having a hard time getting behind Biden as a true relief for the things we're facing (I still just view him as an "our guy" response to a President some don't like) and this - in my opinion, an example of his version of "deplorable" - isn't helping. 

Online Adami

« Reply #1699 on: May 23, 2020, 08:20:48 AM »
The problem for me is that any statement of this sort presupposes that adherence to tribalism is more important than ones individuality. That regardless if your circumstances are different than others in the tribe--your lot in life, your upbringing, education, belief system, etc.--you better fall in line,. It's a truly arrogant and destructive default mindset.

Strict individualism is a value that not everyone shares. There’s nothing arrogant or destructive about a collectivistic mindset. It’s just not the norm in Western societies. 
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1700 on: May 23, 2020, 08:53:34 AM »
Don't disagree, but when a fundamental component of your chosen form of government is the power of the individual, it's an uncomfortable fit.   And - and I'm repeating myself - when you as a candidate have make inclusiveness and unity part of your platform, it's a bum note in the symphony. 

Online Adami

« Reply #1701 on: May 23, 2020, 04:27:37 PM »
Don't disagree, but when a fundamental component of your chosen form of government is the power of the individual, it's an uncomfortable fit.   And - and I'm repeating myself - when you as a candidate have make inclusiveness and unity part of your platform, it's a bum note in the symphony.

Totally. I wasn't really trying to discuss democrats or what Biden said (which was super dumb), just at the idea of people who value collectivism being arrogant and destructive. That's a dangerous mentality.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emtee

« Reply #1702 on: May 24, 2020, 03:28:52 AM »
"You ain't black" is going to stick to Biden like a fly on manure. It's going to become one of those moments in a campaign that has a life of its own.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1703 on: May 24, 2020, 07:09:49 AM »
"You ain't black" is going to stick to Biden like a fly on manure. It's going to become one of those moments in a campaign that has a life of its own.

Nah. That's already been forgotten about.