Author Topic: The 2020 Election Thread  (Read 41722 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The 2020 Election Thread
« Reply #1435 on: March 18, 2020, 08:57:04 AM »
Those are exactly my thoughts as well. Until the past week, I thought a Trump second term was a certainty. Now it's merely likely.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1436 on: March 18, 2020, 08:58:40 AM »
You know, I'm starting to re-think my idea that Trump would destroy any pick.

Given the economy and his awful response to everything currently, this might be enough to actually get him out of office.

Granted, I still think he has an 80% chance of winning, but that's mostly because democrats are SO picky about who they vote for, that, at this point, it's ideal or nothing at all. And Biden can easily screw this up.

But yea, I've moved Trump's chances of winning from 100% to 80%.
People thought the same thing about Bush after Katrina. Moreover, republicans seem to be gushing over Trump's handling of this thing. First his total disregard for it, and now his serious "let's get tough" approach.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1437 on: March 18, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »
It happens every single presidency. You always pick somebody that'll fill in one of your deficiencies.

Oh yeah....completely agree. And I personally hate it every time. It's just how blatant they are about it. It's like they're just patting us on the head like children.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1438 on: March 18, 2020, 09:06:16 AM »
It happens every single presidency. You always pick somebody that'll fill in one of your deficiencies.

Oh yeah....completely agree. And I personally hate it every time. It's just how blatant they are about it. It's like they're just patting us on the head like children.
It's certainly superficial pandering. At the same time it's probably the best thing, too. Obama picked Biden specifically because of his foreign policy experience which he was seen as lacking. Whether or not you liked his FP handling, it was a sound move to have somebody with complementary knowledge and experience. Cheney was the wise elder. Quayle was the cute Beatle. HW Bush was the economic guru. In this case Biden would be adding a female perspective to his candidacy, and that's not a bad think in and of itself.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1439 on: March 18, 2020, 09:08:29 AM »

That's exactly what they're doing, and we - collective - feed that every election cycle.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: March 18, 2020, 09:12:15 AM »
Also, it's not him choosing Warren that would turn me off, that's an obvious political ploy, but rather Warren accepting the offer that would.

I understand your point in saying that, but do you have ANY indication that she has the integrity to say no?  She's as nakedly ambitious as Hillary was.  Her thirst for power is palpable.  (And no, I cite Hillary only as the last Democratic candidate, not as a woman; there are plenty of candidates on both sides of the gender divide that exhibit that lust for authority; I got the same sense from Ted Cruz last time around.  I wouldn't be surprised if Pence falls in there as well.)

And Biden would never go with Haley. He doesn't want to bring left and right together. He wants to bring the left together.

Spot on.  100%

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1441 on: March 18, 2020, 09:37:35 AM »
Also, it's not him choosing Warren that would turn me off, that's an obvious political ploy, but rather Warren accepting the offer that would.

I understand your point in saying that, but do you have ANY indication that she has the integrity to say no?  She's as nakedly ambitious as Hillary was.  Her thirst for power is palpable.  (And no, I cite Hillary only as the last Democratic candidate, not as a woman; there are plenty of candidates on both sides of the gender divide that exhibit that lust for authority; I got the same sense from Ted Cruz last time around.  I wouldn't be surprised if Pence falls in there as well.)
I have no idea, which is why I mentioned her accepting would be a turning point. That said, I haven't seen the naked ambition of Hillary. Far from it, actually.

Moreover, I'm lowering my threshold for naked ambition being a turn off. It applies to all of the candidates. I rarely agree with my mother's feminist leanings, but I think she's right about one thing; we tolerate terribly ambitious males far better than we do terribly ambitious females. While a lack of ambition was one of the key selling points for Bernie in my book, I have to accept a significant lust for power in the rest of the candidates to varying degrees.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1442 on: March 18, 2020, 06:00:55 PM »

I have no idea, which is why I mentioned her accepting would be a turning point. That said, I haven't seen the naked ambition of Hillary. Far from it, actually.

Can I respectfully ask that everyone, following my post, refrain from using the words "naked" and "Hillary" in the same sentence? :P :P

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1443 on: March 19, 2020, 12:30:58 AM »

Can I respectfully ask that everyone, following my post, refrain from using the words "naked" and "Hillary" in the same sentence? :P :P

I have photoshop, and I'm very good with it. I'd only have to find your email account details and then I could make your life very interesting...   :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1444 on: March 28, 2020, 06:04:54 PM »
So who's the next guy at the plate when the DNC realizes it rigged the primaries for the wrong guy? Surely they have to be realizing that Biden is a lost cause. Is it too late for them to do anything about it? They still can't let Bernie get the nomination, they'd prefer Trump, but it seems like they've got to be working on some better option than him or Biden. Doesn't it? I have to wonder if Cuomo has political ambitions beyond being governor of NY (which is probably a much, much greater gig than being POTUS, if we're being honest).
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #1445 on: March 28, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »
It will be an interesting few months for sure.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1446 on: March 28, 2020, 06:26:36 PM »
So who's the next guy at the plate when the DNC realizes it rigged the primaries for the wrong guy? Surely they have to be realizing that Biden is a lost cause. Is it too late for them to do anything about it? They still can't let Bernie get the nomination, they'd prefer Trump, but it seems like they've got to be working on some better option than him or Biden. Doesn't it? I have to wonder if Cuomo has political ambitions beyond being governor of NY (which is probably a much, much greater gig than being POTUS, if we're being honest).

I donít think the DNC sees why Biden is an issue.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1447 on: March 28, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
I think they do, but like all compulsive gamblers are in too deep and are now having to bet it all on blue.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline emtee

« Reply #1448 on: March 30, 2020, 07:54:10 AM »
Don't know how long this Covid-19 crap will last but I can't imagine
any sane person wanting to be president. Joe and Bernie are old.
Dealing with stress at such a high level would certainly shorten their
lives.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1449 on: April 01, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »
I am pretty sure Richard Pryor said it best...

Online Adami

« Reply #1450 on: April 01, 2020, 08:33:12 AM »
So what are your guys' thoughts on Trump saying that if the democrats had managed to change the voting laws that would've allowed easier voting this election, that a republican would never get elected?

I admit I don't know much about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: April 01, 2020, 09:16:58 AM »
 :corn

Online Adami

« Reply #1452 on: April 01, 2020, 10:04:26 AM »
:corn

You don't have to wait for the anti-Trump stuff to jump in. I am honestly not super familiar with the topic, but his statement was a bit odd. I'd love your thoughts.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: April 01, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »
I've only found one source that reports that statement, and it doesn't give great insight into the details of the Democrat-led proposal, other than it would have essentially made it possible for every American to vote by mail (it would have required sending mail-in vote packets to every registered voter as a matter of course), and allowed for relaxed time lines for voting (up to 15 days before the actual election). 

I think it was typical Trump vagueness, alluding to popular wisdom (the higher the turnout, the better the Democrats do in the election, at least nationally) and quasi-conspiracy theory-level analysis (our elections are rigged).  I think the truth is probably where it usually is, somewhere in the middle.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: April 01, 2020, 02:35:48 PM »
At least CNN isn't politicizing the COVID-19 pandemic:  Gavin Newsome basically apologized to Jake Tapper for admitting that Trump was actually responsive to the State of California in recent weeks in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, then immediately following that segment, they ran a political ad (I couldn't read the fine print, but I presume it was paid for by a PAC) that essentially tied the unemployment and layoffs on Trump, ending with a picture of the President and the word "FAILURE" written in.

Online Kattelox

• I'm Dale, but you have to call me Dragon.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • This is a house of learned doctors.
« Reply #1455 on: April 01, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »
Water is wet, the sky is blue, watching CNN is bad for you.
Quote from: Katt's friend
I've accepted that the journey through Michael's musical likes and dislikes is at the level of erratic I imagine is only otherwise achieved by doing a full length mirror's worth of coke and then trying to play Mario Kart.
Nothing could ever make me happier than defeating Katt with East of the Wall. That's it. My entire roulette career has reached its peak. Goodbye everyone.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1456 on: April 01, 2020, 03:52:10 PM »
I don't think I've ever watched so much CNN.  I've called them fake news in the past, but I feel their coverage lately has been solid. 

Anyway, as much as people shit on Trump and he's got a lot of to answer for with his handling, every day that goes by I just don't see how Biden beats him.  Like the optics of Biden in his basement and Trump out there every day really make a difference in my mind. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1457 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:42 AM »
Water is wet, the sky is blue, watching CNN is bad for you.

You know the drill, by now.  It's not about CNN itself; it's about offering information that counters the tropes that still, to this day, prevail about the media and specific outlets.   For those that actually do "assemble facts then draw a conclusion", as opposed to "reinforce their existing opinions", maybe it will resonate.  Maybe not.  Either way, I feel like I've offered something tangible for consideration.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1458 on: April 05, 2020, 12:48:37 PM »
Poor Joe. He struggled putting together sentences. He looks tired,
uninterested and unconvincing. Damn I wish Cuomo was running.
I truly believe Joe can't make 4 years. Despite a 50% hatred of Trump,
Joe can't beat him. He's out of gas.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1459 on: April 05, 2020, 01:48:31 PM »
Fuck Joe. Poor us. We're the losers in this shit-show.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #1460 on: April 05, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
Fuck Joe. Poor us. We're the losers in this shit-show.

Yup....when it comes to the whole 'elections always come down to two shitty choices' school of thought, I think we've reached the summit of that mountain. You'd be hard pressed to find two shittier options.

Online Kattelox

• I'm Dale, but you have to call me Dragon.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • This is a house of learned doctors.
« Reply #1461 on: April 05, 2020, 04:15:38 PM »
2016: They couldn't have picked a worse candidate than Hillary

DNC 2020: hold my beer
Quote from: Katt's friend
I've accepted that the journey through Michael's musical likes and dislikes is at the level of erratic I imagine is only otherwise achieved by doing a full length mirror's worth of coke and then trying to play Mario Kart.
Nothing could ever make me happier than defeating Katt with East of the Wall. That's it. My entire roulette career has reached its peak. Goodbye everyone.

Online Harmony

« Reply #1462 on: April 05, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »
I'd vote for my neighbor's dog over Trump at this point.  He's certainly smarter. 
I'm (literally) old enough to remember when 3,000 people died in New York City and the whole country treated it like an attack on the whole country

Offline emtee

« Reply #1463 on: April 08, 2020, 10:17:02 AM »
Bernie is out.

Like I mentioned earlier--I don't know why Joe would want the gig
at this point in time. Too many stressors. Too demanding mentally
and physically. A part of me wonders if he will find a way out that
makes it appear as though he had no choice, thereby, paving the way
for someone younger.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: April 08, 2020, 10:40:01 AM »
Bernie is out.

for someone younger.

I've got just the guy!   

Seriously, though:  this kind of idea was floated around September/October of 2016 too, but has this ever happened?  I mean, we're not even at the convention yet, so ANYTHING can happen, but has a candidate (at least in modern times) ever been swapped out at this point of the proceeding? 

(This is a legit question; I'm going to go find out if I can, but I'm asking because I don't know.)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1465 on: April 08, 2020, 10:59:59 AM »
Bernie is out.

for someone younger.

I've got just the guy!   

Seriously, though:  this kind of idea was floated around September/October of 2016 too, but has this ever happened?  I mean, we're not even at the convention yet, so ANYTHING can happen, but has a candidate (at least in modern times) ever been swapped out at this point of the proceeding? 

(This is a legit question; I'm going to go find out if I can, but I'm asking because I don't know.)

It'd be interesting to see that play out. I could totally see Bernie trying to jump back in if that were to happen.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1466 on: April 08, 2020, 11:01:10 AM »
Bernie is out.

for someone younger.

I've got just the guy!   

I believe I saw that it's happened a couple of times. Don't remember the specifics. I do remember that it worked out badly each time, though.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: April 08, 2020, 11:34:26 AM »
Bernie is out.

for someone younger.

I've got just the guy!   

It'd be interesting to see that play out. I could totally see Bernie trying to jump back in if that were to happen.
I would hope for Andy C. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1468 on: April 08, 2020, 03:58:49 PM »
Water is wet, the sky is blue,

Careful using this on Stads - argued me on both points as to why this was a matter of perspective, and could be proven wrong.

:biggrin:  Luv ya Bill.   ;)
Looking at my most recent posts, it almost seems like I'm trying to become the Common Sense of DTF :lol
You'd have an easier time trying to bring the internet to the Amish.
Turns out chlamydia tastes pretty good.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #1469 on: April 08, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »
What's literally cracking me up (and not in a good way, but more in a "is this really happening?" kindof way) is the completely lack of.....anything.....at all from the Dems.   Maybe I've just got my nose stuck in a book too much, but I try to keep half an eye out and it seems like the ONE GUY who may have the Dems nomination laid at is feet has become a complete ghost during of the greatest crisis' of my life.    And it's AN ELECTION YEAR.   

Where is Joe?   Is he even alive?   When was the last time he said anything?  Is he just getting buried in the news?   Wouldn't this be a moment to at least TRY to poke your head out and remind people that you're not dead?   Am I missing something?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude