Author Topic: Songs DT haven't yet played live with the current line-up that you want to see?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline The Letter M

Piggy-backing off another thread idea I made earlier, I was thinking about which songs the current line-up haven't yet played (and released live versions of), and it got me looking back at the 3 live releases we've gotten so far. Taken all together, they feature good chunks of IAW (every song but "Take The Time"), most of Awake ("Innocence Faded", "Erotomania" and "Voices"), and about half of SFAM.

This got me thinking - for Awake, they haven't played Erotomania/Voices in 2009/2010, as part of the Prog Nation Tour and the small BC&SL tour - which makes me think it's about time that this pair of songs is revived for tour as it's been nearly a DECADE since they've last performed them! I think it'd be easier for them to pull it off than to try "Innocence Faded", which has some tricky vocal parts and hasn't been played live since 2006!

As for other albums, I think "The Glass Prison" or "Blind Faith" could make a return to represent SDOIT, and perhaps "In The Name Of God" from TOT. We haven't gotten many songs from those albums yet, so they'd be good to see again, especially "The Glass Prison" as it hasn't had any official live release from the band, weirdly enough (the only live version I can think of is from their club CD Live At Graspop Festival 2002). Anything after those albums would be a treat, though I'd love to see them pull out the older stuff while they still can!

What do you all think? Which as-of-yet played live songs would you like to see this line up perform and/or release? Despite MM having only been in the band for about 8 years, he's covered a good chunk of the band's material, and even performed songs with them for their first time (like "Space-Dye Vest", "The Shattered Fortress", and "Don't Look Past Me", all songs no one thought we'd ever hear them play live!). Even with all of that under his belt, there are still plenty of more songs the band has yet to play with MM!

EDIT: Here's a complete list of the songs that the band hasn't yet played live with the current line-up (after doing some extensive research on setlist.fm, so if I put one down that WAS played live, please correct me!). The songs are in order of most-played to least-played under each album.

When Dream And Day Unite:
The Killing Hand
Only A Matter Of Time
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Light Fuse And Get Away
Status Seeker      (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)

Images And Words:
All Songs Played Live

Awake:
Erotomania
Voices
Innocence Faded      (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)

Falling Into Infinity:Lines In The Sand
New Millennium
Just Let Me Breathe
Hollow Years
Anna Lee
Take Away My Pain
You Not Me      (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)

Cleaning Out The Closet (B-Sides):
Eve
Speak To Me
Raise The Knife
Cover My Eyes
The Way It Use To Be
Where Are You Now?   (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)

Scenes From A Memory:
All Songs Played Live (as of the DOT Tour)

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence:
The Glass Prison
Misunderstood
Solitary Shell
Blind Faith
About To Crash (Reprise) + Losing Time/Grand Finale
Goodnight Kiss
Disappear      (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)
(Overture)

Train Of Thought:
In The Name Of God
This Dying Soul
Stream Of Consciousness
Honor Thy Father
Vacant         (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)

Octavarium:
Never Enough
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
The Answer Lies Within   (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)

Systematic Chaos:
In The Presence Of Enemies (Parts I and II)
Prophets Of War
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
Repentance      (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again)

Black Clouds & Silver Linings:
A Rite Of Passage
A Nightmare To Remember
The Best Of Times   (Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live...EVER!)

A Dramatic Turn Of Events:
All Songs Played Live

Dream Theater (12):
Surrender To Reason   (Never Played Live)
(False Awakening Suite)

*Both "Overture" and "False Awakening Suite" are in parentheses because they haven't actually ever been played by the band, technically speaking. As far as I'm aware, they were just tape-rolls before the band came on stage, and in the case of SCORE, the orchestra played "Overture" and not the band, so it doesn't technically counts.
**I've included notes about which song from each album is least likely to be revived, mostly because that song has 10 or less performances EVER, so it's likely never to return to the stage.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:20:38 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MirrorMask

I'll answer generally, it's not that I want / hope / assume that ALL these songs would be played next time. Any of these would make me happy.

The Killing Hand
Voices
The Glass Prison
Disappear
I Walk Beside You
Octavarium

Surrender to Reason is pratically a given that it's gonna be played anyway. They always said they were gonna play the songs left off the Along for the Ride tour in future tours and they did that with 2 of the 3 remaining songs and I don't see them stopping.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
And Score did not feature the current line-up.

Also I'm curious about some of the songs, why they're "highly unlikely to be performed again". I'm guessing Innocence Faded because of the high vocal part in the 2nd verse, and You Not Me because it's really unpopular with the fans. But Disappear? The Answer Lies Within?

Offline krands85

Also I'm curious about some of the songs, why they're "highly unlikely to be performed again". I'm guessing Innocence Faded because of the high vocal part in the 2nd verse, and You Not Me because it's really unpopular with the fans. But Disappear? The Answer Lies Within?
I believe they've only performed Disappear once or twice, I think it's quite a difficult one for JLB because of the subject matter.

Tracks I'd love to see:
Octavarium
In the Name of God
In the Presence of Enemies
The Ministry of Lost Souls
Sacrificed Sons
The Glass Prison
Lines in the Sand

With the set on the next tour comprising of Scenes plus presumably a good chunk of DoT, I'd probably be lucky to get 2 of those played.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline DTA

I would love to see You Not Me, Disappear, Light Fuse And Getaway, and Speak To Me mainly because I haven't seen them live at all.

Offline Mladen

Why is The Answer Lies Within highly unlikely to be played live again?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I believe they've only performed Disappear once or twice, I think it's quite a difficult one for JLB because of the subject matter.
When JLB was asked about the lyrics of Disappear, he said they were purely fictional - he saw a young couple in a mall and wondered what it'd be like if one of them was struck by a fatal illness and their lives were shattered by that (cheerful imagination right there :lol). Vacant, on the other hand, is a personal song, because it's about his daughter's seizure.

In fact, I vaguely seem to remember that Disappear was one of the songs he namechecked in an interview when he was asked which songs he'd like to bring back live, but I may have got it mixed up with some other ballad.

Offline DTA

Why is The Answer Lies Within highly unlikely to be played live again?

I have no insider info to support this, but I would imagine that any of their ballads are less likely to be played than their normal songs. Maybe two per show. Considering that their new album might have a ballad that will be played, and the relative non-importance of TALW within the entire scope of their catalog, I'd say it's very unlikely to reappear. If they do choose a ballad, I could see them literally picking any other one over this one.

Offline EPIC Outro

I don't see how you can argue the "relative non-importance" of TALW or any song in their catalogue. It's entirely subjective. I have a friend who made an incredibly passionate Facebook post about how much that particular song means to her, so clearly it has value to someone. And it's a good guess there is at least one member of the band who feels the same way.

I don't think there is any DT song that is "highly unlikely to be played again" or at all. This band has continually surprised and impressed me throughout their career and I imagine they will continue to do the same with their setlists.

Offline DTA

I don't see how you can argue the "relative non-importance" of TALW or any song in their catalogue. It's entirely subjective. I have a friend who made an incredibly passionate Facebook post about how much that particular song means to her, so clearly it has value to someone. And it's a good guess there is at least one member of the band who feels the same way.

I don't think there is any DT song that is "highly unlikely to be played again" or at all. This band has continually surprised and impressed me throughout their career and I imagine they will continue to do the same with their setlists.

I'm talking more about songs that are popular amongst their fanbase and likely contenders for underplayed albums. If you were to do a poll of favorite DT songs, I can guarantee you TALW would fall within the bottom 20. Sure that doesn't mean that it's never going to be played live, but I'm guessing that when they make a song choice to include in the setlist from 8VM, they're going to pick one that is more appreciated like the title track, Root Of All Evil, Panic Attack, or Sacrificed Sons. With their extensive catalog, they're going to have to rotate their back catalog and leave certain albums out of the setlists thus making 8VM songs (and all their back catalog albums really) probably appear on every other tour or even every third tour from now on. If they're only playing one Octavarium song every few years, it most likely won't be the one that is the least popular. I'd say Never Enough has the same likelihood of never appearing again.

It hasn't been played since 2006, so that could make them pick it up as a "rarity" of sorts, but I don't think it's the type of rarity that would make fans go nuts. Don't Look Past Me had even less likelihood of being played live, but they did it. But that was specific to that era so it makes more sense in hindsight.

Basically unless they do an Octavarium tour playing the entire album, I think the likelihood of them playing it is extremely low. I personally like the song, but would rather them play virtually anything else off that album and I bet most fans feel similarly.

Offline krands85

When JLB was asked about the lyrics of Disappear, he said they were purely fictional - he saw a young couple in a mall and wondered what it'd be like if one of them was struck by a fatal illness and their lives were shattered by that (cheerful imagination right there :lol ). Vacant, on the other hand, is a personal song, because it's about his daughter's seizure.

In fact, I vaguely seem to remember that Disappear was one of the songs he namechecked in an interview when he was asked which songs he'd like to bring back live, but I may have got it mixed up with some other ballad.
Whoops, I always thought it was about the death of his mother.  :facepalm: Surprised that it has been played so rarely then.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline As I Am

• Banned
Only A Matter Of Time
Status Seeker
Light Fuse And Get Away
Voices
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee
You Not Me     
About To Crash (Reprise) + Losing Time/Grand Finale
In The Name Of God
Octavarium
In The Presence Of Enemies (Parts I and II)
Behind The Veil (not played in N.A.)
Surrender To Reason   

Offline The Letter M

With regards to the songs I had marked "Highly Unlikely To Be Played Live Again", I marked those MOSTLY because they were VERY underplayed, 10 or possibly even less than 5 performances of each song, and for the most part, were only ever performed on the tour they were debuted. In the case of "The Answer Lies Within", it only had a handful of performances during the Octavarium tour, and I think I remember reading an interview with MP or even JP saying that they always play one song per album-cycle very RARELY, if EVER, and it shows: songs like "The Answer Lies Within", "Repentance" (1 performance, which was surprisingly released via the Fan Club), Vacant (only 2 performances), "Disappear" (whose one performance was released on LAB), "Where Are You Now?" (performed 3 times in December 98), and "You Not Me" (which only has 3 known performances).

Songs like "Vacant" and "Innocence Faded" were performed 16 and 18 times respectively, but again, it's been over 12 years since both were last played live, and in the case of the former, as said above, if they were to play a ballad and/or a TOT song, this would likely not be their choice I think (though I would love to be proven wrong), and in the case of the latter, I think the vocal parts might be difficult for JLB at this point.

With regards to epics, there's a LOT they haven't played in almost a decade, though of all of them, I think it's time for them to bring "Octavarium" back out. After reviving "A Change Of Seasons", "Octavarium" is the next-in-line to be played. Sure, "In The Name Of God" came out BEFORE hand, but it was played more recently (last seen on the BC&SL Tour), and has been played 44 more times than the 60 or so performances of "Octavarium", so I feel it has potential to be the encore on the DOT Tour.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

When JLB was asked about the lyrics of Disappear, he said they were purely fictional - he saw a young couple in a mall and wondered what it'd be like if one of them was struck by a fatal illness and their lives were shattered by that (cheerful imagination right there :lol ). Vacant, on the other hand, is a personal song, because it's about his daughter's seizure.

Whoops, I always thought it was about the death of his mother.  :facepalm: Surprised that it has been played so rarely then.

Someone said in other thread it was basically because MP liked some songs to be rarities and that's it :facepalm:

The songs I'd like to see being played next are:
Surrender to Reason (will most likely be played this year)
Stream of Consciousness
In The Name of God
Voices
Blind Faith
Solitary Shell
Octavarium
The Killing Hand

EDIT: I completely forgot to put TKH before, so it's fixed now :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:28:01 AM by gzarruk »
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

Same answer as when Bosk asked basically the same question (excluding the "current lineup" aspect of the question) a month or two ago:

Assuming they can work up vocal melody alterations that work:

1. The Killing Hand -- Saw it the first two times I saw DT in '92 and was unfamiliar with the song.  Haven't seen it since.

2. Octavarium because I haven't seen it since 2005!

3. 6DOIT -- I'd love to see the whole thing, but that isn't realistic, so as much of it as possible (with Goodnight Kiss being the lowest priority).  They did SS, AtCR and LT/GF when I saw them open for Yes in 2004, but I haven't otherwise seen any of it.

Honorable mention:  Scarred and Anna Lee
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Always want to see songs I haven't seen, whether the band has played them or not:

Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun
Only a Matter of Time
You Not Me
Burning My Soul
Take Away my Pain
Anna Lee
Regression (guaranteed on the next tour)
Through Her Eyes (guaranteed on the next tour)
The Great Debate
Disappear
Repentance
The Best of Times
Far From Heaven
Behind the Veil
Surrender to Reason

I'll also always take any B-Sides I haven't seen
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline bill1971

The Glass Prison was on the Gigantor CD live from 2005 I think. I don't think it's been played live since, so that is my number 1 choice.

Offline gzarruk

The Glass Prison was on the Gigantor CD live from 2005 I think. I don't think it's been played live since, so that is my number 1 choice.

It’s also on the Bucharest official bootleg.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

To be honest, I had forgotten about these two. I haven't watched the Bucharest show in a LONG time, though I had ripped the audio to make a 3CD version of the show (still wished DT/MP had done it themselves as I would have gladly paid for a professionally mixed/mastered soundboard of that show, or SDOIT tour show). And I've never owned the Gigantour 2005 album, so I had completely forgotten that there were two DT songs on that, including "The Glass Prison", which I guess is the only officially released, wide-spread version of that album (as the Graspop show was a Fan Club disc, and Bucharest is an official bootleg).

I think "The Glass Prison" stands a very good chance of being performed live this coming tour, and in the main DOT thread, a lot of folks suggested it as the encore, and I would be fine with that decision, using the "Finally Free" outro static as the bridge between the end of the 2nd set/main show into the encore. How epic would it be if the band finished "Finally Free", then we got the cut-scene from the album on screen and it ends with the static, which played for a few minutes, then the band come back out on stage to play "The Glass Prison"! If they REALLY wanted to amp things up a little, they could couple it with "This Dying Soul", and make for a super heavy encore! After all, they've already played "The Root Of All Evil" and "The Shattered Fortress", might as well play the first two songs in the Twelve-Step Suite as well (especially since I don't ever see them playing "Repentance").

-Marc.

Offline MirrorMask

I know it's not gonna happen, but after the end of The Glass Prison I think it would be cool to have a mini medley of sorts, some musical passages to speed very quickly through the other songs of the suite, just to arrive at the "I am responsable" ending section of The Shattered Fortress which is a nice concert closer as any.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

To be honest, I had forgotten about these two. I haven't watched the Bucharest show in a LONG time, though I had ripped the audio to make a 3CD version of the show (still wished DT/MP had done it themselves as I would have gladly paid for a professionally mixed/mastered soundboard of that show, or SDOIT tour show). And I've never owned the Gigantour 2005 album, so I had completely forgotten that there were two DT songs on that, including "The Glass Prison", which I guess is the only officially released, wide-spread version of that album (as the Graspop show was a Fan Club disc, and Bucharest is an official bootleg).

I think "The Glass Prison" stands a very good chance of being performed live this coming tour, and in the main DOT thread, a lot of folks suggested it as the encore, and I would be fine with that decision, using the "Finally Free" outro static as the bridge between the end of the 2nd set/main show into the encore. How epic would it be if the band finished "Finally Free", then we got the cut-scene from the album on screen and it ends with the static, which played for a few minutes, then the band come back out on stage to play "The Glass Prison"! If they REALLY wanted to amp things up a little, they could couple it with "This Dying Soul", and make for a super heavy encore! After all, they've already played "The Root Of All Evil" and "The Shattered Fortress", might as well play the first two songs in the Twelve-Step Suite as well (especially since I don't ever see them playing "Repentance").

-Marc.

At the Gigantour show I was at (Albuquerque), they did exactly that. Opened with The Glass Prison and went right into This Dying Soul. Wasn't really a big fan then, but I do remember that transition was amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD