Poll

Would you like them to release...

Return To Budokan (Sept 11, 2017 show) feat. IAW Live + ACOS
Distance Over Time Tour show feat. SFAM Live
Kevin Moore
No More Live Albums Please

Author Topic: For DT's next major live release, would you rather they release...  (Read 3614 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: For DT's next major live release, would you rather they release...
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 02:11:16 AM »
From the perspective of a musical lover, I guess I'm just accustomed to the fact that shows like that are made to be experienced live. Filmed performances is a rarity when it comes to musical theatre. And when they do get filmed, it's often in different settings than the actual play. Like, there's a really good version of Phantom of the Opera out on blu-ray, but it's not the stage performance - it's a super extravagant royal albert hall performance. Same with Les Miserables - there's actually two different performances, one in the royal albert hall and one from the O2, neither of which are the stage performance, but rather a concert setup (typically the songs are just performed standing at a microphone instead of acted out).

Or they're specially made for TV productions - or even worse, proper film productions that bear little to no resemblance to the actual stage production.

Point is; the norm is actually to not film those types of productions.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2019, 06:42:24 AM »
It's not likely, but maybe they will remedy that someday with a one-off performance of TA with a big production in NYC, or espcially LA,, where the orchestra and choir is from.    I know, wishful thinking!  :chill

From the perspective of a musical lover, I guess I'm just accustomed to the fact that shows like that are made to be experienced live. Filmed performances is a rarity when it comes to musical theatre. And when they do get filmed, it's often in different settings than the actual play. Like, there's a really good version of Phantom of the Opera out on blu-ray, but it's not the stage performance - it's a super extravagant royal albert hall performance. Same with Les Miserables - there's actually two different performances, one in the royal albert hall and one from the O2, neither of which are the stage performance, but rather a concert setup (typically the songs are just performed standing at a microphone instead of acted out).

Or they're specially made for TV productions - or even worse, proper film productions that bear little to no resemblance to the actual stage production.

Point is; the norm is actually to not film those types of productions.

The thing is, I wouldn't want a big special production of a live recording of The Astonishing show. That seems bloated. I'd rather just have a single concert recorded as presented.

I still cannot believe that the band did not record these shows, or even film at least one. Seems with all of the work put in on this project, to not have it documented live simply does not make sense to me. Not so much for a release, but simply for the band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2019, 06:58:21 AM »
I'm not necessarily talking about officially recorded footage. There's obviously live footage on youtube for The Astonishing.

There's not a single good recording of anything from that tour.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
I voted Kevin Moore, because I'd rather have their next live release to be a non-anniversary tour.

Hopefully they'll do a 2nd leg where the set is open to anything. Like how A Dramtic Tour was.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 09:42:33 AM »
It's not likely, but maybe they will remedy that someday with a one-off performance of TA with a big production in NYC, or espcially LA,, where the orchestra and choir is from.    I know, wishful thinking!  :chill

Yea, when I read the thread title I kind of thought this would be an option although I don't think it's realistic at this point.  It would be a big effort to do and the fan base is really split on whether they would even want to buy such a product.  I'd love it and I think the album/tour kind of deserves it, but at this point, it's just a huge effort and risk.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2019, 03:49:52 PM »
Except musicals are performed multiple times through the years, and indeed, most of them are recorded live.
Good luck finding a full performance of TA after DT retires by a local band at home.
Jatruccyundessgini

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 06:50:25 AM »
Except musicals are performed multiple times through the years, and indeed, most of them are recorded live.
Good luck finding a full performance of TA after DT retires by a local band at home.

The Book of Mormon has never been recorded live. I really hope it gets a filming eventually as it's one of my favorite musicals. I've seen it three times.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 07:06:35 AM »
I think you'll find that most broadway / west end musicals are not recorded live.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 10:29:17 AM »
Voted for Budokan, because
-it's been filmed already, so it'd basically be just a matter of putting it out
-we already have Live Scenes
-I personally prefer Images to Scenes by a significant margin
-I saw the IW&B tour and a live DVD would be a nice memoir of it

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2019, 05:34:17 AM »
Nothing on YouTube could ever even come close to enjoying a concert bluray on a high def TV with a kick-ass stereo sound system!   :metal :corn

I won't disagree, but at big festivals like Wacken for example they live stream entire shows that are professionally filmed so it's not that you get a product that much distant from an official release.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »
Nothing on YouTube could ever even come close to enjoying a concert bluray on a high def TV with a kick-ass stereo sound system!   :metal :corn

I won't disagree, but at big festivals like Wacken for example they live stream entire shows that are professionally filmed so it's not that you get a product that much distant from an official release.

True, but even then you aren't getting the quality of audio/video of a blu ray,  but the live streams are usually really good to watch if they havent been taken down on youtube.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 02:17:28 PM »
TBH a live performance seen in person is so much better than any video release. Just being there is another type of sensory experience that can't be captured on camera. However, there are those who can't make it to a show and the live release helps them gain some of the experience. The nostalgia factor needs to be considered also. If you were at the Roseland Ballroom show for LSFNY, you have vivd memories of that performance and the DVD helps to take you back.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 09:40:08 PM »
The problem for guys like me though is that I'm not willing to spend around $100.00 for a good spot in GA for a DT show nowadays, but I am willing to spend around $20-25 for a well-produced well-mixed Live DVD/CD bundle (and if they decided to throw a 15-30 minute behind the scenes about the respective tour, that's a bigger bonus as well).  I couldn't be there for those tours like the Astonishing tour, Images, Words and Beyond, and the upcoming DOT tour for various reasons (have family obligations, couldn't afford the tickets, think the tickets are too expensive for what I'm willing to spend).

It would nice if they find a tour that's meaningful enough that it deserves to have a DVD release and I think DT hit the mark on those quite well as the live releases they have done have that sorta "big-time" show feel to it.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 03:46:49 PM »
Yea I think there's lots of people who would love a video of a tour when they can't make it for whatever reason.  What is interesting though, for me in NJ I see tickets for the show at $25.  I think that's the cheapest I've seen DT tickets for a theater.  Might be different for other areas (I know NYC prices are not near that low for example) but at least I was able to find a very affordable ticket to see DT.