Poll

Would you like them to release...

Return To Budokan (Sept 11, 2017 show) feat. IAW Live + ACOS
Distance Over Time Tour show feat. SFAM Live
Kevin Moore
No More Live Albums Please

Author Topic: For DT's next major live release, would you rather they release...  (Read 3608 times)

Offline The Letter M

In the revived thread about the keyboard-based pattern found DT's album releases, it was brought up that perhaps the band might still release the Budokan show from 2017 AFTER they release DOT, which got me thinking....

If the band released a live album after DOT came out, which would you rather have? Both have a full album played live (IAW at Budokan, and SFAM from the DOT tour), and will feature another set of other songs.

For the Budokan show, this means some fan favorites, but only four songs that have yet to be released live by the band (The Bigger Picture, Hell's Kitchen, The Gift of Music, Our New World). Otherwise, if you're a longtime fan, you've got most of these songs already, and even 7 of the 8 IAW songs have been released with MM playing on them (between Live At Luna Park at the free Christmas digital album they released from that same tour).

For the DOT Tour, we're not quite sure what we'll get in the first half of the show, though we can assume it will mostly feature NEW songs from the upcoming album, along with a couple of others from their back catalog. Set two will feature SFAM played live in its entirety, which hasn't had as many of its songs released with MM live as IAW (only 7 out of the album's 12 tracks between LALP, Happy Holidays, and BTFW), so we'll finally get live renditions of "Regression", "Through Her Eyes","Beyond This Life", "Home" and "One Last Time" with the current line-up, which should be a treat! Then there's also whatever the encore might hold, which could be any of their epics that they haven't played in a decade (Octavarium, ITPOE, ITNOG...who knows!).

So which live show would you rather see them release after DOT?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online geeeemo

Re: For DT's next major live release, would you rather they release...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:26:35 AM »
DOT. More new stuff, the encore, and I like Scenes better than IaW.
Maybe, if according to the pattern for more live albums, there is still a chance for a TA live...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:08:55 AM »
DOT. More new stuff, the encore, and I like Scenes better than IaW.
Maybe, if according to the pattern for more live albums, there is still a chance for a TA live...

Agreed about the "more new stuff" part - undoubtedly, the first set of the upcoming tour will feature a good amount of the new album (which isn't even an hour long anyway), and hopefully a couple of songs they hadn't yet played live on previous tours.

With regards to SFAM over IAW, as much as I personally love both albums, I am a bit sick of IAW in comparison. Granted, the band DID release LSFNY, which features the album in its entirety, but a lot of die-hard fans have heard most of IAW so much over the years between the Live In Tokyo and Marquee shows, many of the songs appearing on LSFNY, the IAW 15th Anniversary show from the Fan Club, and 7 of the 8 songs being released after the ADTOE Tour (between LALP and Happy Holidays 2013). Give SFAM some more love, and lay the IAW songs to rest for a tour!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 08:39:33 AM »
Granted, the band DID release LSFNY, which features the album in its entirety
This is a big reason why I don't know how I would vote. If the SFaM they perform on the upcoming tour is significantly different from the album and live version on LSFNY (similar to the alterations they made for IaW on the IWaB tour), I'd be more likely to vote for the upcoming tour. But if it's gonna be very close to the album or what they did for LSFNY, I'd prefer the Return to Budokan release, with bonus tracks of DLPM and TLF from the North American tour.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
I would rather wait and see what they do after the SFAM2 tour. If they do another leg where it's a mixed bag + a bunch of D/T, I'd rather they release that than any "full album" tour. Of course, they could release The Astonishing Live, Back to Budokan, LSFAM2, and a D/T mixed bag show and I would buy all four releases. So I don't care, really. The more the better.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:39:32 AM »
My vote is for whichever performance sounds best...which will probably be the upcoming one.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
How bout a live release where they pick performances from different tours/shows/nights? That way they could cover some tracks or even have a section for the Astonishing, new stuff from DoT and any other tracks that they particularly enjoyed or maybe haven’t been documented live that much. Be a good way to cover a bit of ground, plus get the better performances.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 09:09:10 PM »
I have Budokan 2017 downloaded, and also in audio format (I took the audio from the video download, and the spoken parts between songs are taken from the bootleg). SFAM 2000 is my least favourite DT release (below Marquee and even A Sort Of Homecoming), so, SFAM without the rushing tempo would be a bless for me; I'm not a fan of Teresa doing Victoria parts in TSCO, also.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 10:33:17 PM »
I mean I don't know what would happen if they release Kevin Moore, but I'm curious.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 01:37:20 AM »
I don't have that interest for live release anymore so I voted for no more live albums. I found myself watching live dvd's once nowadays and then it just goes to shell gather dust.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 03:31:36 AM »
I found myself watching live dvd's once nowadays and then it just goes to shell gather dust.

I feel you. The nice thing about a live DVD is that you see a concert you haven't witnessed, or reliving one you've been at but with the comfort of your own house and nice and clear images. Once you've seen that concert, the novelty of it wears off and there are only so many times you can see the same songs and the same show and the same moves and the same crowd banter before getting "bored" with it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 05:02:39 AM »
How bout a live release where they pick performances from different tours/shows/nights? That way they could cover some tracks or even have a section for the Astonishing, new stuff from DoT and any other tracks that they particularly enjoyed or maybe haven’t been documented live that much. Be a good way to cover a bit of ground, plus get the better performances.
On paper, such an idea sounds great. But in practice, not so much. I guess I'd be fine if they did a live release picking out the best performances of individual songs from a single tour (like what was done on Chaos in Motion 2007-2008), but not when songs are included from multiple tours - then it feels more like a live compilation than a live album.

The other caveat is that going this route will make shooting a proper video cost prohibitive for a band of DT's stature, which is not a major issue for me (see below), but I'm sure would be a sticking point for many fans.

I found myself watching live dvd's once nowadays and then it just goes to shell gather dust.
I feel you. The nice thing about a live DVD is that you see a concert you haven't witnessed, or reliving one you've been at but with the comfort of your own house and nice and clear images. Once you've seen that concert, the novelty of it wears off and there are only so many times you can see the same songs and the same show and the same moves and the same crowd banter before getting "bored" with it.
This is one of the reasons why I'm more of a fan of live albums (as in, without video) - the chances of me sitting down to watch a concert video are pretty much nil. If I'm gonna sit down to watch something for a few hours, it will be a movie or TV show. On the other hand, listening to the audio of a concert is something that I do regularly.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »
Live videos made more sense when seeing performances was rare. Like the G3 shows - my first exposure was the video, and it's an experience I couldn't possible get to (at that point in time). Now I can just go to youtube and see just about any performance from any band ever... It's taken away from the uniqueness of concert dvds.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 09:55:35 AM »
Live videos made more sense when seeing performances was rare. Like the G3 shows - my first exposure was the video, and it's an experience I couldn't possible get to (at that point in time). Now I can just go to youtube and see just about any performance from any band ever... It's taken away from the uniqueness of concert dvds.

Except for when you are a Tool fan. I would absolutely love a Tool DVD. But I guess it will never happen.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
plenty of bootleg recordings though

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 10:23:10 AM »
Whatever they do next for a live album, I just want it to sound less processed. BTFW and LALP honestly don't even sound like live albums.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 12:58:23 PM »
Rather have a full Astonishing show, but failing that a recording of the upcoming live show will do.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
I selected "Kevin Moore" because none of the others really fit.  I don't need another live album anytime soon, but I wouldn't say no more live albums ever.  If The Astonishing ever clicks with me, that would probably what I'd want.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »
I would rather them feature Distance Over Time if they do a second leg with a new set list,  with a nice mix of songs from their catalog.  That would be cooler to me rather than having all of Scenes as the second set.  Also, include some songs from TA such as Ravenskill, Chosen, and Moment of Betrayal.
Final Encore:  Maybe Octavarium in its entirety ?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online geeeemo

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 07:25:57 PM »

EeeGad!  I can't imagine Octavarium being played, but not in it's entirety  :omg:

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 09:47:35 PM »

EeeGad!  I can't imagine Octavarium being played, but not in it's entirety  :omg:

Schmedley Wilcox
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »
There's already two releases with Octavarium in its entirety; Score and Romavarium. There's a bunch of songs I'd rather have on a live release than that song...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 05:53:11 AM »
I fully agree with you, noxon. I voted for a D/T tour release btw because I'm excited about the album and the tour. (I wouldn't mind for them to release the Budokan concert, but for now, I'll focus on what will happen soon(-ish)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 09:02:25 AM »
I'd say a release of the new D/T tour.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »
Return to Budokan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 10:24:12 AM »
I voted no more live releases.

Upon further reflection, I'd like a live release of newer material. Especially Distance Over Time material. I think we've got plenty of older material released live.

I'm not interested in SFAM live in 2019 on Blu-Ray. I enjoy Live Scenes From New York and I'm not sure that can be topped in 2019.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 01:09:55 PM »

I get what you are saying, but there isn't a youtube video out there that matches a well done concert blu ray (well of course besides the videos on youtube from these releases, but still then it's not going to be the best audio/video quality on youtube compared to the blu-ray).  The uniqueness may be gone, but the quality is still there.   Also, now a days, many bands when releasing a live video usually have something about it that you aren't going to find on youtube, maybe guests singers or songs not performed and bands are getting smarter too by not allowing people to use phones if they are recording a concert so that you don't get the leaks on youtube. 

as for the question, I don't see an option for TA so I'll go with DOT tour since that would be new live material. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 01:21:41 PM »

Not The Astonishing  :'(

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
I'm not necessarily talking about officially recorded footage. There's obviously live footage on youtube for The Astonishing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 03:51:28 PM »
Nothing on YouTube could ever even come close to enjoying a concert bluray on a high def TV with a kick-ass stereo sound system!   :metal :corn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »
I'm not necessarily talking about officially recorded footage. There's obviously live footage on youtube for The Astonishing.
True. But with DT's heavily enforced no camera policy during that tour, there is significantly less footage of shows from that tour, and in fact, I think there's only 1 show in video form that's relatively close to being complete.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »
True. But with DT's heavily enforced no camera policy during that tour, there is significantly less footage of shows from that tour, and in fact, I think there's only 1 show in video form that's relatively close to being complete.

That's exactly that I find the most astonishing part of this situation, the band just enforced a goddamn policy of no recording in the shows.
Many of us complied for 2 reasons: The band asked for it and we, in a way, agreed, it was better for the experience and I actually enjoyed it a lot, and secondly because we expected we'd have a live release anyway, which we don't have, now we have no way of enjoying it.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 01:41:32 AM »
I can see why they had a no camera policy for that tour,  it really was a unique experience seeing it live without any distractions from audience members holding their stupid phones in the air during the show. Good on DT for not allowing that! 
  However,, I wonder if they have kick-marks for not professionally documenting this most exceptional show and having it immortalized?!?!   

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 01:45:52 AM »
I can see why they had a no camera policy for that tour,  it really was a unique experience seeing it live without any distractions from audience members holding their stupid phones during the show. Good on DT for not allowing that! 
  However,, I wonder if they have kick-marks for not professionally documenting this most exceptional show and having it immortalized?!?!

Yes, I think everyone could understand why, regardless if they agreed or not.
And I can't do anything but giving a shoutout to your last sentence, which is, again, a big let down.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 02:01:11 AM »
It's not likely, but maybe they will remedy that someday with a one-off performance of TA with a big production in NYC, or espcially LA,, where the orchestra and choir is from.    I know, wishful thinking!  :chill