Author Topic: Fall Into Light / Lyrics  (Read 4935 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: My Initial Thoughts On "Fall Into the Light"
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
I'll re-ask my question. Does JLB write all of the vocal melodies?

No.

I'm not sure how this has changed though with this "everybody in the room" setup. They may have jammed together, James sang over it, and that then became the vocal line for the song.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:08 PM »

Traditionally with DT, the person who writes the lyrics also writes the melody of those lyrics so I don’t think people can blame JLB for the vocal melodies not being very strong so far on these two tracks.  Whether that tradition holds on this new album, I’m not sure. Does Mangini have experience in writing song melodies?

I would guess the whole all being in one room thing was writing the instrumental tracks for the vocals to sit on top of.

Offline danidogma

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
Listened to it again.

Sadly, it seems I'm just not a fan of JP's writing anymore. Shame. Ah well.

+1.

After five listeners, I think it's Dream Theater's single that I like the least by far.
The first 50 seconds are very good...from there the song is over for me...
Both the verse and the choruses are "meh", and the central part I find a little unconnected, apart from sounding like Metallica in a brazen way ...
This song makes Unthetered Angel good, and my first impression is that it was quite normal for what I expected from Dream Theater.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 02:45:57 PM »

No.

I'm not sure how this has changed though with this "everybody in the room" setup. They may have jammed together, James sang over it, and that then became the vocal line for the song.

Maybe, but considering how the vocal melodies for FITL sounds sooooooo much like vocals from songs that JP wrote, I'm just going to assume JP wrote them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 05:11:23 PM »

No.

Maybe, but considering how the vocal melodies for FITL sounds sooooooo much like vocals from songs that JP wrote, I'm just going to assume JP wrote them.
I would assume that the principle songwriter does the vocal melodies, as well. I was just curious if that had changed since they've become so formulaic. In this case JP apparently wrote a song very different than what we've been hearing from DT and yet made the vocals sound like every other thing he's written in the last 10 years. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 06:27:03 PM »
Thoughts after a first listen: filthy. That's a good thing. Production doesn't do it justice, though: it's nowhere near heavy enough. And, goodness, James doesn't do the song any favours. The music itself is stellar, though. Such a relief after The Astonishing. Gosh, I'd take an album of this. The music is beautiful, especially the breakdown.

Edit: forgot to say, it's a blisteringly quick seven minutes. Goes past in the blink of an eye. Oh, and Mangini's outro is, well... obvious. And a little dull.

Second edit: The Spirit Carries On has come on following Fall into the Light and the production is night and day. It's caressing my ears. It sounds a million times better than either of the first two tracks from Distance Over Time.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 06:33:12 PM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline pcs90

Re: Fall Into Light / Lyrics
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 11:42:58 PM »
"Fall Into The Light is about the quest towards enlightenment that exists in life. It is more about the underlying themes of life’s journey and less about what happens once you get there. It is a song of introspection; about looking inside to find your individual happiness." - John Myung

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2019, 05:23:03 AM »
After having listened to the song a couple of times: This is a pretty strong showing. I dig it. Untethered Angel was alright, but it did not really do much for me. But this one actually makes me a little excited for the album. I just wish they would've found a more elegant way to transition from the soft middle section back into the heavier part. As it is, this transition is a little jarring.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 06:25:13 AM »
Instrumentally, I like the song. I dont like the vocals.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2019, 06:58:12 AM »
I have heard the song like 20 times and I don't remember one line from chorus (and the rest of vocals), I think it's by far DT's worst chorus.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 07:40:35 AM »
I think it's by far DT's worst chorus.

This might actually be true. It's incredibly unmemorable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 07:43:43 AM »
I've always found JM to be pretty insightful with his lyrics and I always look forward to his contributions.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 10:34:59 AM »
I wouldn’t go that far and would also say that DT aren’t really the greatest band for big catchy singalong choruses. They’re not like an Iron Maiden where they have these huge choruses that the crowd belt out live. There are exceptions of course such as Pull Me Under but not too many that I can think of. This chorus starts well and then doesn’t really go anywhere. The verses though just sound like stock DT verses that they didn’t put much effort into. It’s like they had this awesome instrumental backing track and just threw the most basic DT by numbers vocal melody over the top of it.

Overall I really enjoy the song because the riffs and instrumental stuff is awesome and the vocal melody, while not particularly strong, is inoffensive enough that it doesn’t actually detract from the song as a whole.  It would’ve been nice though if it actually enhanced the song.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:16 AM »
Vocal melodies are fine...

They remind me of Moment of Betrayal.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:31 AM »
Several posters have already mentioned how this song gives off a certain DT12 vibe and I can only concur.

Somehow the 'feel' of the verses is very similar to Surrender to Reason - I think it's the combination of the tempo, time signatures and (less so but still) the riffing. The fact that Myung has penned the lyrics for it and is thematically similar (love, uncertainty, and resolve) just reinforces it.

Then again the chorus itself instantly reminded me of the bridge in These Walls, both by the tempo and time signatures - combination of 5 and 6.

By the way that fill and lick at the end - I'm getting LTE's When the Water Breaks mid-section ending fill vibe, anyone else?

Other than that, cool, groovy, and tasteful riffing; and well that mid-section really is...extremely beautiful.

Also, I like both Jordan's solo and the transitions, especially the rapid snare drum pounding - an MM specialty for sure, reminiscent of IT.

I think the song has many angles to it and might be a grower for some who don't dig it yet.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »
I just listened for the first time. I had a few distractions but what I could tell it was awesome!  I really dig the vocals and the production sounds good for listening on little phone speakers. The song has a epic feel with a nice melodic break section. Pretty much everything I like to hear from DT, and that sick unison run at the ending!!!  :omg:
 That run almost gave me the runs!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 02:12:16 PM »
@erik16:
By the way that fill and lick at the end - I'm getting LTE's When the Water Breaks mid-section ending fill vibe, anyone else?

Had exactly the same feeling.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
I wouldn’t go that far and would also say that DT aren’t really the greatest band for big catchy singalong choruses.

Are we listening to the same band? Feels to me like every DT chorus wants to be as singable as possible.  :lol

Offline adamack

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »
Thoughts after a first listen: filthy. That's a good thing. Production doesn't do it justice, though: it's nowhere near heavy enough. And, goodness, James doesn't do the song any favours. The music itself is stellar, though. Such a relief after The Astonishing. Gosh, I'd take an album of this. The music is beautiful, especially the breakdown.

Edit: forgot to say, it's a blisteringly quick seven minutes. Goes past in the blink of an eye. Oh, and Mangini's outro is, well... obvious. And a little dull.

Second edit: The Spirit Carries On has come on following Fall into the Light and the production is night and day. It's caressing my ears. It sounds a million times better than either of the first two tracks from Distance Over Time.

Agreed. From what I've read so far here and elsewhere online, I think the majority consensus is that the vocals are the weak link, the song overall is better than UA, and the breakdown/instrumental section is awesome.

That same phenomenon you had with Spirit, I always have with Learning To Live and Take The Time. 80's reverb aside, whenever I pit LTL against any newer DT song, LTL sounds SO fresh, so well mixed and balanced, The tone achieved by James' voice and every instrument is phenomenal. I would love to hear modern DT with a similar mix, with the verb toned down a tad.

I think it's by far DT's worst chorus.

This might actually be true. It's incredibly unmemorable.

For me personally, I give that award to TDEN. And You Not Me, but that's cheating  :lol  It does make a nice "pop" hook though I suppose

Their best IMO is Home. I must've listened to that song 500 times and still get goosebumps when the chorus kicks in

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2019, 07:08:41 PM »
Finally getting around to posting my thoughts.

I freakin' love the new song.  I listened to it a few times in the car and then finally at home. I got a bluetooth speaker so I can actually listen to youtube releases in decent quality.  Still not an ideal way to listen to it.

When I finally sat down at home and listened after the few times in the car, towards the end of the song I checked the time of the clip and was shocked it was 7 minutes.  I honestly thought the song was 4 minutes.  It flew by.  Superior to Unthethered Angel. More psyched for the album.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
It is somehow a really, really good song, without being memorable in any particular way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
Just saw the whole lyrics and this has to be one of the songs with the least amount of lyrics ever by them in proportion to song length.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:18 PM »
Just saw the whole lyrics and this has to be one of the songs with the least amount of lyrics ever by them in proportion to song length.

Where a re the lyrics?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »

BAI is a good contender.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:49 PM »
Really dig both tracks but I'm already bummed by song length..FITL could be even more epic and we already know there won't be any 15 to 20 minute tracks.. That's what I have always loved about this band..the musical journeys..this disc will just have some short to medium little escapes ..DT will always be my favorite ..as a fan just wanting more I guess

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2019, 06:24:57 AM »
I've been listening to a lot of Amorphis and Nightwish recently. Bands that really focus on writing catchy/melodic choruses. Switching right over to Dream Theater reveals a pretty stark contrast, at least to me. Their vocal melodies don't sound as... I don't know... Important to the song. They're not bad, but they don't sound as memorable to me. Just my two cents, of course.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
I keep relistening to this tune.  Man, the middle instrumental part gets me everything, especially when it starts to rock a bit more with the dual guitar sound. I'm really feeling this song more than UA.

Is anyone else overwhelmed by the compression? It's pretty strong.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »
Actually I’ve had my full quota of DT songs that come to a crashing halt for an ambient section (Count of Tuscany, Illumination Theory, Nightmare to Remember) and now this one. Blind Faith did it right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2019, 08:39:49 PM »