Nil By Mouth
3 (15.8%)
Host
0 (0%)
A Cell Divides
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: December 28, 2018, 01:36:09 PM

Author Topic: The HAKEN Survivor 2018 - Vector: Round 1!  (Read 683 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
The HAKEN Survivor 2018 - Vector: Round 1!
« on: December 27, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
Vector Results:

---

Haken Survivor Main Thread

---

After this short Christmas break, let's continue with the Haken Survivor 2018!

Vector, Haken's latest release, was met with mixed reviews, I would say. Although most of the reviews I've seen for this album were fairly positive, I've also seen some negative ones, but mostly the negeativity was coming from within the fanbase. Obviously, for a band to follow up The Mountain and Affinity would prove to be difficult, and the slight change of style on this album was too much for some fans. I've seen reactions ranging from people saying it's the best thing they've done, to people saying it's the worst by far - and I think that's quite an achievement in and of itself. Yes, on Vector the band has changed their style, but when hasn't Haken done that with a new record? That's all part of the deal, I believe.

Honestly, I personally think this is Haken's weakest studio album to date as well, because while it does all sound like Haken, the songs get into low-string riffing far too often, and some of the transitions on this record are especially jarring (yes, Veil at the 7:00 mark, I'm looking at you). ALso, as far as I'm concerned, this album doesn't have nearly enough memorable melodies or solos'something the other Haken albums have in abundance. I guess the short length (their shortest studio album to date by far) doesn't help either.

Anyway, I don't have a lot to say about this album, since it's still fairly new. Let's see how these songs will do against the established Haken tunes.

My vote goes to what I consider the worst Haken 'song': Nil By Mouth. Here we go.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The HAKEN Survivor 2018 - Vector: Round 1!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »
I will definitely vote anything else than NBM because that song kicks ass. It's me second favourite of the album.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 03:41:42 PM »
Clear obviously. This is a great album for me. I love that heavy side of Haken, I'm more metalhead than proghead so You know ;)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 03:57:12 PM »
I'm not really into this album at all, but NBM is an okay song. Definitely better than Clear, The Good Doctor and that ballad thing atleast.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 04:02:25 PM »
host has grown on me a little since the last comment i made but it's still going out after nil by mouth for me

obvious pick for this round is obvious tho

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 04:30:39 PM »
I love this album from start to finish, so my vote goes to the intro track that while great, isn’t really a song.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2018, 05:21:59 PM »
I love every minute of this album. I have a clear favorite, but after that, I like everything just about equally. Should be interesting.

Love the intro, but it's the Clear choice here.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2018, 09:50:35 PM »
Nil by Mouth
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 12:28:27 AM »
Clearly Clear is the clear choice. Are we clear on that?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 04:40:54 AM »
Clearly Clear is the clear choice. Are we clear on that?
Beat me to it, and then some. Brilliant.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 08:56:13 AM »
Well, to everyone saying Clear is the obvious choice.. I sincerely disagree. I think it's a perfect track for setting up the mood of the album, the atmosphere in the track is great. It's exciting and engaging, while all Nil By Mouth does is bore me, hence my vote for that one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »
Clear obviously. This is a great album for me. I love that heavy side of Haken, I'm more metalhead than proghead so You know ;)

Same here on the vote and opinion

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 12:39:01 PM »
Well, to everyone saying Clear is the obvious choice.. I sincerely disagree. I think it's a perfect track for setting up the mood of the album, the atmosphere in the track is great.

This can just as easily be said of affinity.exe. That's a perfect track for setting up the mood of Affinity. The atmosphere on that track is great too.

But, in both cases, as good as they are, they are merely introduction tracks. Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »
Well, to everyone saying Clear is the obvious choice.. I sincerely disagree. I think it's a perfect track for setting up the mood of the album, the atmosphere in the track is great.

This can just as easily be said of affinity.exe. That's a perfect track for setting up the mood of Affinity. The atmosphere on that track is great too.

But, in both cases, as good as they are, they are merely introduction tracks. Nothing more, nothing less.

This, actually, makes it more hilarious for me. One of the actual album tracks is worse than the introduction track, that's something I did not expect from Haken.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.