Author Topic: Dream Theater MVPs - Per album  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

Dream Theater MVPs - Per album
« on: December 20, 2018, 10:41:55 AM »
Who is the MVP on each album? The one who goes above and beyond and gives it that extra something?
Here's my list:

WDADU -      JMX     (He's audible in the mix, and sounds great)
I&W -           MP      (Drum parts are written so well and are so fun to focus on)
Awake -        KM      (Songwriting)
ACOS -         JLB      (Showcases variety and "early career" power)
FII -             DS       (Songwriting and sound)
SFAM -         JP        (He elevates this album, IMO)
6DOIT -        MP       (Inventive drumming)
TOT -            JP        (Riffs are so heavy)
8VM -            JR       (Many different instruments)
SC -              MP       (Influential)
BC&CS -        JP        (Some great guitar)
ADTOE -        ??        (I just can't decide)
DT12 -          MM       (Best MM album so far)
Astonishing - JLB       (Showcases "late career" variety)

What do you think? Who is MVP on ADTOE? Maybe that's another one for JMX.
What does your list look like?

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Dream Theater MVPs - Per album
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
I would say JLB for Images and Words!   The drumming is good but the electronic/triggered sound is a bit awkward..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 11:30:47 AM »
Great thread idea!
WDADU: JMX, no question about it, I would love him to revisit this style again, it's as if he was having the time of his life playing, just going insane.
I&W: JLB, it's amazing he managed to pull off such a poorly written album vocally (which can be understood, since it was done without a singer, hence it's so punishing and lacks proper breathing times.
Awake: Tough one, but perhaps I'll go with JP, I love his guitar work and lyrics too. And yes, JLB also absolutely nailed this record.
ACOS: Tough one, because this song is barely audible for me in its original form, while in Live Scenes it's so much better. However, I can't really decide on this one, guess I'll just skip it.
FII: Am I the only one that finds JMX's bass in this album particularly strong?
SFAM: MP, his drumming here is arguably the best in his career.
6DOIT: JR, no question about it.
TOT: JP once again, crazy ass guitar work.
8VM: JR, album features some of the best solos he's done for the band in my opinion.
SC: This one is incredibly hard, because if something has made SC stand out for me is the fact that everyone seemed to shine a lot. This album has some of the best riffs JP has ever done, MP's drumming is great, JR features massive keyboard work and styles, but perhaps I'll have to go with JP, he literally shines in every song.
BC&SL: JR. Seriously, have you ever heard the isolated keyboard tracks from this album? Altho this album has JP's best solo in my opinion.
ADTOE: This album so weird, I don't think if the OP's comments kind of biased me to this, but I can't really say who's MVP here. This seems to me like a rather consistent record, play-safe and very very weird overall.
DT12: MM, Illumination Theory is basically my favorite drumming in DT.
TA: James, no question about it.

Jatruccyundessgini

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
Interesting...

WDADU:  I don't disagree with the sentiment expressed about JM, but based on what I like from the album, I'd probably have to give KM the edge.

I&W:  This one is REALLY hard, but I'm going with JM by a nose over JP, KM and MP.

Awake:  Definitely some of my favorite JP guitar work, so he gets the nod by a nose over JLB.

ACOS:  Another really tough decision, but I'm going to give it to MP.

FII:  No one.

SFAM:  JR, because his presence elevated the band to an entirely new level.

6DOIT:  JR goes back to back.  The title track wouldn't exist without him.

ToT:  JP for the guitar work, but it's another very strong JLB album.

8VA:  JLB finally gets one.  Having to deal with different keys for every song and pulling it off with what sounds like relative ease makes this probably his best overall performance.

SC:  I'm inclined to say no one, but I guess I'll go with JP.

BC&SL:  Based on what I like from the album, I'll go with a JLB/JP co-MVP situation.

ADTOE:  JP, for shepherding the band through a somewhat tumultuous time.  Honorable mention to JM for his bass work on BAI.

DT12:  Probably JR.  Some very diverse keyboard work.

I'm not including TA for the same reason I don't include it in my album rankings.

BC&SL: JR. Seriously, have you ever heard the isolated keyboard tracks from this album?

Not sure where one would get access to such a thing, but I imagine I'd get bored to tears after about two minutes.  I only listed to the complete instrumental tracks maybe once or twice for a couple of the songs and probably not at all for for most of them.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 12:02:15 PM »
You kiding right? BC&SL is literally the most remixed/sampled record because DT released the isolated tracks for every instrument
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline pg1067

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
You kiding right? BC&SL is literally the most remixed/sampled record because DT released the isolated tracks for every instrument

I'm neither kiding nor kidding, I wasn't aware they had done that, and I've never heard any of the songs remixed or sampled.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
I highly doubt you've never seen the mashups they do with Wither, for example, but whathever.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline pg1067

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 12:11:26 PM »
I highly doubt you've never seen the mashups they do with Wither, for example, but whathever.

I recall hearing a jazz version of Wither, but I had no idea how it was created.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 12:30:47 PM »
WDADU - Moore or Petrucci
I&W - LaBrie or Moore
Awake - Petrucci or LaBrie
ACOS - Petrucci
FII - yuck, Myung I guess
SFAM - MP or JP
SDoIT - Rudess or MP
ToT - Petrucci
OV - Rudess
SC - Petrucci
BCSL - Petrucci
ADTOE - all 5
DT - Petrucci
TA - LaBrie
D/T - Mangini hopefully

Offline romdrums

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 12:38:23 PM »
WDADU -     JP.  JMX is a close second, but I'm not a fan of his tone on this record.
I&W -          MP. Lots of top performances here, but MP's performance influenced me heavily as a drummer.
Awake -       KM and JP.  Kevin's songwriting on this is top notch and JP's solos (Voices in particular) are god tier.
ACOS -        DS.  Seriously love his performance on this.
FII -            DS.  I like this album, and the keyboard parts and sounds have a lot to do with that.
SFAM -        JP and JR. JP finally found his worthy foil in JR, and they both shine on this album.
6DOIT -       JR. His patch choice has never been better, and I feel he really got to stretch out on this record.
TOT -          JP.  Riffs for days.
8VM -          JR. Mostly for the interludes.
SC -            JP. Great playing.
BC&CS -      JR. I don't like this record, but Jordan is not the reason why.
ADTOE -      JP and MM. JP for holding the band together and writing some great songs. MM for bringing a calming  influence to the band.
DT12 -         JM. Love his tone, and his bass lines are pretty tasty.
Astonishing - JLB.  He had a lot to do on this record, and he pulls it off quite well.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 12:53:06 PM »
WDADU: Kevin Moore

I&W: James Labrie

Awake:  John Petrucci/Kevin Moore (I think Kevin's thoughts on leaving really contributed to the darker feel for the record, and JP's playing is outstanding. Great balance of shred and feel)

ACOS:  Mike Portnoy. For obvious reasons

FII:  Derek Sherinian. I feel his presence really brought out the soul in Dream Theater's playing, particularly with JP.

SFAM:  Jordan Rudess. His ability level just pushed Dream Theater into another level of technicality and spontaneity.

6DOIT: Undecided.

ToT:  Undecided

8VA:  I dislike the album, generally, and feel like Portnoy sort of drove the direction.

SC:  Not a huge fan of it, not sure.

BC&SL:  Ditto

ADTOE:  Petrucci

DT12: Labrie - I felt the songs here really were shaped well for his voice.

TA: Again, not a fan, and it was Petrucci's baby, so I'll say JP.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »
WDADU: JMX - Not a big fan of this record overall, but the bass lines really do shine.
I&W: JLB - No long explanation needed, unreal vocal performance.
Awake: JP - Love his guitar work on this record, tried some different things to push forward (quad tracking, seven string, etc....).
ACOS: MP - Lyrically and drumming-wise, top notch stuff here.
FII: DS - Maybe it's because it's his only full length album with the band, but his style and playing on this record was killer and really sticks out in the catalog.
SFAM: JP - Killer riffs and solos on this one. JR gets a close second for his immediate impact on the band, but I'm still going with JP.
SDOIT: MP - Another tough call (I could easily say JP or JR) but SDOIT is the peak of MP's drum work, IMO.
ToT: JP - Heavy, guitar driven album and the guitar player shines.
8V: JR - Some of JR's most tasteful playing and tones on this record, awesome stuff.
SC: MP - Great drumming highlights throughout the record.
BC&SL: JP - Really strong guitar riffs on this record, including killer solos (one that literally saves the song).
ADTOE: JP - For steering the ship largely after MP left and producing this solid, well-thought out record.
DT12: MM - Best performance on a DT record by MM, snare sound isn't great, but the playing is killer.
TA: JLB - Huge undertaking for the vocalist to cover all the ground needed here, and James was great.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 02:03:32 PM »
Hmm...  Some of these are tough.  But here's my take:

WDADU:  I'll go with Myung, for reasons others have stated.  His bass lines are pretty cool here.  This is an album of lots of hits and lots of misses, so it is hard to pick an MVP.

I&W: JLB, it's amazing he managed to pull off such a poorly written album vocally (which can be understood, since it was done without a singer, hence it's so punishing and lacks proper breathing times.
^nailed it.

Awake:  I'm going to have to go with James.  He is out of this world on the album, going from soaring to aggressive and back again all over the album.  Honorable mentions to JMX for some really groovy bass lines, especially Scarred, JP for some nasty guitar riffs and awesome writing, and MP for writing and excellent drum chops.  DIShonorable mention to KM for almost ruining the album.

FII:  JMX.  He stays in the pocket and does his thing, and it is glorious.  His bass lines really make some of these songs shine.

SFAM:  MP.  He was drumming like he had something to prove, and it really worked.

SDOIT:  Jordan.  His piano parts are especially good, but he provides a lot of atmosphere and ambiance as well.  Honorable mention to James.  I feel like his vocals showed a lot more diversity here than on previous albums, which would continue to be expanded upon.

TOT:  MP.  I was tempted to go with JP for the riffs and heaviness.  But Mike's drumming really provides the power and foundation for that heaviness, and there are times when I feel the drumming really drives the songs.  JM and Jordan are not inaudible, but their parts are frequently much more understated and support the music rather than taking the forefront.

8VM:  Toss-up.  I guess I'll give this one to Jordan.  He pulls out a lot of new gadgets ("big red slidy thing," slide guitar, etc.), but they really, really work.  And his "regular" keyboard work adds a lot to the songs as well.

SC:  JP.  The riffs.  Man, the riffs!  And just his writing in general.  MP really provides a lot of the power here, which is also on display.  But JP edges him out for me.

BCSL:  I'll go with JP again.  Great riffs.  Great soloing.  Great lyrics.  This kinda feels like his album.

ADTOE:  JP yet again.  He really drove the writing on this album, whether a given song is heavy or soft, and it all just works.  Honorable mention to James for, despite not having a lot of singular jaw-dropping moments, sounds inspired and fully committed to making his vocals the best they could be. 

DT12:  This one is tough.  I think I'm going to have to go with Mangini.  Although I am REALLY happy with him in DT, the one things I will say I miss about not having Portnoy is all the constant accents, ghost notes, etc. that Portnoy would bring from all the different instruments on his kit.  That said, there are so many cool drum parts on this album that I don't find myself missing Portnoy on ANY of these songs.

TA:  James.  This and Six Degrees are where he took the two biggest leaps to bring a lot of new and interesting vocal diversity to the table.  He just nails everything on this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 07:10:16 PM »
Great comments! I think I might have to go back and listen to DS on ACOS!

Now, for DoT, I am predicting Mangini. It might be wishful thinking.
At this late stage of DT's long career, maybe it's not too unreasonable to think it would be 4 albums before you really hit your stride.

If I'm way off, I think the safe bet is JP.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:21:51 PM by Mark Levinson Jr. »

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 08:02:41 PM »
WDADU -  John Myung
I&W - Kevin Moore
Awake -  John Petrucci
ACOS -  Mike Portnoy
FII -  Derek Sherinian
SFAM - Mike Portnoy
6DOIT - Mike Portnoy
TOT -  John Petrucci
8VM -  Jordan Rudess
SC - Mike Portnoy
BC&CS - John Petrucci
ADTOE -  John Petrucci
DT12 - John Petrucci
Astonishing - Jordan Rudess

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:11 AM »
WDADU - John Myung
Honorable Mention: Mike Portnoy

I&W - James LaBrie
Honorable Mention: John Petrucci

Awake - James LaBrie
Honorable Mention: Kevin Moore

FII - John Myung

SFAM - Mike Portnoy

SDOIT - Jordan Rudess
Honorable Mention: James LaBrie/Mike Portnoy

ToT - Mike Portnoy
Honorable Mention - John Myung

Octavarium - John Petrucci
Honorable Mention: James LaBrie /Jordan Rudess

SC - John Petrucci
Honorable Mention: James LaBrie

BC&SL - John Petrucci
Honorable Mention: Mike Portnoy

ADTOE - James LaBrie
Honorable Mention: Mike Mangini

DT - John Petrucci
Honorable Mention: James LaBrie

Astonishing - James LaBrie

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 10:52:44 PM »
How about Live Albums?

Live At The Marquee -        James LaBrie
Once In A Livetime -                Mike Portnoy
Live Scenes From New York -    John Petrucci
Live At Budokan -              Jorden Ruddess
Score -                          JLB
Happy Holidays -              JMX

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 12:27:13 AM »
In BTFW it's totally Mike Mangini.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 08:09:31 AM »

Offline Bertie_Wooster

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 12:47:33 PM »
JP on all of them

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 08:57:30 PM »
1. WDADU: John Myung
Same reasons mentioned by others, his playing just pops up there. His bass lines are very cool and different to what JP is doing. We haven't seen any other DT album with JM playing this way.

Honorable mention: John Petrucci
He was still developing his sound and technique at the time, but we can see his influence as primary songwriter/lyricist and the songs definitely have a guitar-oriented feel.

2. IAW: James LaBrie
Performs flawlessly the crazy vocal lines he was given and made the band stand out and gain worldwide success.

Honorable mention: Kevin Moore
Huge step up in his playing from WDADU. With the exception of a couple spots where his patches sound dated (now), his performance is as good as it gets.

3. Awake: Mike Portnoy
I feel like Awake is the album where Mike developed the creativity to come up with amazing drum parts that made him the standard for prog metal drumming for over a decade. I think this is one of his best drum albums to date.

Honorable mentions: James LaBrie, John Petrucci and Kevin Moore
Sorry to pick three members here, but it had to be done.

James, again, proved he was the best fit for the band, having to sing in a much different and more agressive way than on IAW, and he totally delivered. Some of his best "early DT" moments come from Awake.
John pretty much drives the whole album with his massive guitar riffs and unreal solos (Voices an Lie, enough said :hefdaddy).
And Moore's work, while very different from what he did on IAW, is responsible for creating Awake's dark atmosphere, which is unique to this album and I completely love it. Just listen how he sets up the mood on tracks like LSOAD... perfection.

4. FII: John Petrucci
This album isn't one of their best, but JP's guitar playing isn't the reason why. He explored a completely different side of his playing, with jazzier solos like Trial of Tears or just pure feeling with songs like LITS, TAMP, etc.

Honorable mention: John Myung
The songs from this era have very cool bass lines by JM, his playing is super solid and spot on.

5. SFAM: Jordan Rudess
He came to de band and changed the keyboard game completely. Took the band to a higher technical level and challenged Petrucci to constantly up his game (and vice versa).

Honorable mention: John Petrucci
Like I just said, Jordan's style forced JP to get on an even higher technical level, and it shows here with all the crazy unisons and runs they do here.

6. SDOIT: Jordan Rudess
Again, Jordan gets the credit for making this album one of their best. He experimented a lot with different sounds and textures, and every patch he uses is perfect for every section of every song. His playing is pure magic through the whole album.

Honorable mention: Mike Portnoy
As with Awake, he got to create some of his best drum lines for SDOIT.

7. TOT: Mike Portnoy
Great drumming on this album. He played very aggressively and it gave the songs a lot of energy :metal

Honorable mention:  John Petrucci
Heaviest album demanded the heaviest guitar sound and playing, and he nailed it from start to finish.

8. Octavarium: James LaBrie
He had to cover a lot of ground with his vocals and performed perfectly on each song.

Honorable mention: Jordan Rudess
The first album he used more stuff than just keyboards (continuum and lap steel guitar), which worked really well, and also played THAT solo on the title track.

9. SC: John Petrucci
THE RIFFS! :metal :metal :metal no explanation needed here.

Honorable mention: Mike Portnoy
To me, the last GREAT drumming album by MP. Yes, he used his same old bag of tricks, but man, did he use it right.

10. BC&SL: John Petrucci
Everything with his playing is spot on. The solo work is excellent.

Honorable mention: Jordan Rudess
Very tasteful playing, he doesn't need to be in the front all the time, but he's doing an amazing job throughout.

11. ADTOE: Jordan Rudess
I remember he commented at the time that he had felt restrained with DT many times before, during the last couple years/albums (at the time), with Portnoy trying to stir the ship and musical direction. ADTOE felt like he got free again and played his tail off, like we hadn't heard him do in a long time.

Honorable mentions: John Petrucci and Mike Mangini
John for stepping up as the clear leader of DT and producing everything just by himself, and Mike because he took one of the hardest jobs on the biz and he nailed it.

12. DT: Mike Mangini
This is the ultimate Mike Mangini drumming album for me (probably untill DOT drops :biggrin:). Say what you want about the snare sound here, no one can deny the mastery of the drum parts.

Honorable mention: John Myung
Showcased an amazing chemistry with Mangini, with some amazing bass/drums grooves and his overrall lines and tone are great :metal

13. TA: James LaBrie
His best album vocally, he just does everything here. Flawless performance.

Honorable mentions: JP, of course, for coming up with the concept and producing this monumental project; and Jordan for writing everything along with Petrucci.

Phew, that was a long post :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ninjabait

• XBOX is a God to Me
  • PR permission
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2018, 06:32:00 PM »
WDADU: Myung, tho honestly I don't really listen to it ever.
I&W: JLB. Some of his best vocal performances ever.
Awake: JP, I guess.
FII/ACoS: DS. There's a lot of really cool synth sounds and piano parts on these two.
SFaM: Everybody firing on all cylinders. Can't really pick one.
SDoIT: JR. Probably some of the coolest keyboard parts.
ToT: Either Portnoy or Petrucci. Fitting giving that it's their heaviest album.
8varium: Like SFaM, they're firing on all cylinders here so it's hard to pick. Maybe Portnoy or Rudess?
SC: Petrucci. Portnoy is a close second.
BCSL: JR. Hands down some of his best keyboard work that unfortunately got buried in the mix.
ADToE: JR, easily.
DT12: Myung. Probably one of my favorite bass tones ever. MM has some cool drum parts too, even if the production is terrible.
Astonishing: David Campbell. Then JLB, then Petrucci and JR. Everyone basically gets an honorable mention here.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 07:10:07 PM »
D/T: Mike Mangini :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 07:56:07 PM »

I agree! (But Petrucci really sounds SO great on those Majesty guitars!)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:21 PM »

I agree! (But Petrucci really sounds SO great on those Majesty guitars!)

Definitely!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 03:57:57 AM »
I wanted to make somewhat of an all-encompassing list including the fact that we have good writers in the band. This is reflected by the fact that I focus on the players only here, as IMHO the songwriting has always been nice, except FII as indicated. MVPs are based purely on technical aspects to me.
WDADU: none
I/W: James
Awake: James and JM
FII: none (bad songwriting to top it all off, exceptions may apply)
Met2: Jordan
6D: Jordan and James
TOT: none
Octa: none
SC: none
BC/SL: none
ADTOE: everyone (but especially Jordan, JM and Mike)
DT12: everyone
TA: Jordan, James, JP (or possibly everyone, depends on your POV)
D/T: everyone (Mike gets the special mention though here, for obvious reasons, and Jimmy T for great collaboration on the drum sound with him)

bonus (as it were): ACOS: JM, James and JP
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 04:04:21 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline adamack

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
TA: Jordan + James
DoT: The exact inverse - MM, JP and JM

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 12:23:59 PM »
Mike Mangini on D/T, hands down.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 12:53:24 PM »
Mike Mangini on D/T, hands down.

I guess, but JP ALWAYS delivers the goods.

Offline BeatriceNB

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 07:00:37 PM »
WDADU: Dominici
I&W: LaBrie
Awake: LaBrie
FII: Sherinian
SFAM: Petrucci
SDOIT: Rudess
TOT: Portnoy
Octavarium: LaBrie
SC: Rudess
BC&SL: Rudess
ADTOE: Mangini
DT12: Mangini
TA: LaBrie
D/T: Petrucci

Offline Imacer

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2019, 07:09:42 PM »
WDADU: Petrucci
I&W: Petrucci
Awake: Petrucci
FII: Petrucci
SFAM: Petrucci
SDOIT: Petrucci
TOT: Petrucci
Octavarium: Petrucci
SC: Petrucci
BC&SL: Petrucci
ADTOE: Petrucci
DT12: Petrucci
TA: Petrucci
D/T: Petrucci

Offline fischermasamune

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2019, 07:49:29 PM »
I think Petrucci is the MVP of the band. So he is always a very strong contender for the MVP of each album. Because of that, let's do this list removim him from the pool.

WDADU: JM
I&W: JLB
Awake: JLB
FII: JM?
SFAM: Rudess
SDOIT: Rudess
TOT: Portnoy
Octavarium: Rudess
SC: Portnoy?
BC&SL: Portnoy
ADTOE: Rudess
DT12: Mangini?
TA: JLB
D/T: Mangini

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2019, 12:08:50 AM »
WDADU: JM (by far my least favorite record but I'm a bassist and his lines are :hefdaddy)
I&W: JLB (turns an otherwise excellent record into an absolute all-time classic)
Awake: KM (largely responsible for how dark and atmospheric the album sounds)
FII: JM (Sherinian is a close second but I love what JM has done here in every aspect, probably the best he's ever sounded on any record)
SFAM: JP (so many great leads and melodies)
SDOIT: JR (his best performance IMO)
TOT: MP (hard to choose someone here but his playing stands out to me and I think between SDOIT and this one is when he hit his peak as a drummer)
Octavarium: JR (incredible palette through and through)
SC: MP (just for the drumming, the vocals are another story...  ::))
BC&SL: MP (see above)
ADTOE: JR (back to 100% after taking the backseat for 2 albums, just makes the tracks sound full and epic)
DT12: MM (his playing is incredible but man does his kit sound awful at times)
TA: JLB (the super-obvious choice)

As for D/T it's really close between JP and MM so far. Time will tell...

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2019, 01:37:44 PM »
WDADU - Myung
I&W - LaBrie & Petrucci
Awake - I honestly can't make my choice, brilliant effort by everyone involved
FII - Myung, with Sherinian close behind
SFAM - Rudess, but again the whole band is on fire
SDoIT - Portnoy
ToT - Portnoy & Petrucci
OV - Rudess
SC - Petrucci
BCSL - Petrucci
ADTOE - Rudess & Petrucci
DT - Petrucci & Mangini
TA - LaBrie
D/T - Myung & Petrucci, with Mangini really close behind, his finest effort with DT so far

Offline V_R11

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »
There are only two answers I'm 100% sure about:

TA: LaBrie
D/T: Mangini
Seasons change and so can I