Author Topic: The Grocery Store Thread  (Read 4243 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Grocery Store Thread
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2020, 04:08:45 PM »
Tim, a little scenario.

You're checking out and each cashier is 3 deep with full carriages.   You could go to the self checkout with 4 registers and the line us only 2 deep.

Where do you check out?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »
The Service Desk! ;D

It depends. I'll have to scope the people in line. An old lady is likely to use cash or a check.

I don't have an issue using a self check out if I have an express order. But I'm not ringing up myself if it's a large order.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »
This still goes against your belief of service. I was thinking who hasn't used them because,  like you said you can get out quick with a small amount of groceries.

It just made me giggle thinking of you doing this and not the carriages. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2020, 06:40:25 PM »
I don't do the shopping. The Market Basket basically across the street, where I'll run into to grab a few things doesn't have self checkouts.

But when I go to Lowes, I'm usually buying one thing. If there's a cashier available, I'll definitely use them. If not, I'll buzz through the self checkouts.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2020, 06:19:11 AM »
I work part-time in retail, not a grocery store, but experiences are the same. As a store leader I will usually do whatever it takes to appease the customer who is making a big stink, almost always with the understanding that they are being a Nozzle, and I just want to get them out the door. Even if it is a legitimate complaint, there are proper ways to handle yourself and treat others. Rarely is it the Associate's fault, more than likely it is a store policy, like trying to return something without a receipt or ID.

Also, the earbud thing never bothered me, it's the person that steps up to the checkout talking on the phone, and not putting their conversation on hold for the two minutes that I am ringing them up. That's just rude.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2020, 08:28:17 AM »
Two things:  one, I'm that sketchy guy with five things in his arms, moving back and forth behind the checkout lines, looking to see which line is moving (you look at the cashiers just as much as the patrons; you look to avoid that dead-eye'd robot look or the cashier who's gums are flapping like their reading one of my posts in P/R out loud).   

Two, to New World Rushman, regarding the comment about "understanding that they are being a Nozzle", there must be a LOT of idiots in grocery stores asking a lot of dumb-ass questions, because while I do not often complain or even involve management, when I do it's 99% of the time a "do you have?" question.  More often than not I get that little flash of "okay, idiot, I'll do the hard work of looking past eye level for you".   I've actually taken to going to the Service Desk for any questions, because usually that person is in cooperation mode and is at least pleasant if I inadvertently ask a question that turns out to be obvious.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2020, 09:03:02 AM »

Two, to New World Rushman, regarding the comment about "understanding that they are being a Nozzle", there must be a LOT of idiots in grocery stores asking a lot of dumb-ass questions, because while I do not often complain or even involve management, when I do it's 99% of the time a "do you have?" question.  More often than not I get that little flash of "okay, idiot, I'll do the hard work of looking past eye level for you".   I've actually taken to going to the Service Desk for any questions, because usually that person is in cooperation mode and is at least pleasant if I inadvertently ask a question that turns out to be obvious.

I never mind those kind of questions, because they are understandable. We get a lot of customer education type questions, and are educated to have the answers most of the time (Like I said, not a grocery store. It's actually one of the larger pet supply chains, so questions range from how to take care of my ferret, to what kind of dog food should I get, to will this fish get along with my other fish, etc.).

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2020, 09:21:42 AM »
Also, the earbud thing never bothered me, it's the person that steps up to the checkout talking on the phone, and not putting their conversation on hold for the two minutes that I am ringing them up. That's just rude.

Yeah, this bothers me way more than the earbud thing for sure.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2020, 10:52:02 AM »
My dad was a grocery store manager for 30 years.

I worked in grocery throughout my college career.

I will just say that stocking on 3rd shift (this was before every store was open 24/7) was pretty awesome.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2020, 11:24:21 AM »
I work in a grocery store on Staurdays and Sundays. I'm a cook in their kitchen. It's pretty okay.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: January 23, 2020, 12:05:29 PM »
My mom went to grocery stores for most of her life, and still does to this date.

Her parents also went to grocery stories until they died.

I also regularly go to grocery stores.

I hope that, one day, my future children will also go to grocery stores.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: January 23, 2020, 12:11:23 PM »
My mom went to grocery stores for most of her life, and still does to this date.

Her parents also went to grocery stories until they died.

I also regularly go to grocery stores.

I hope that, one day, my future children will also go to grocery stores.

With online shopping. Traditional grocery shopping will be a thing of the past. Apparently my local shop has online ordering and then you can pick up the bag of groceries. I'm not ready for that, I still enjoy going in and looking for my food, but I can see one day these shops are just warehouses like amazon.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #82 on: January 23, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »
I wouldn't want go with Amazon or something like that for a lot of my food shopping, but other household supplies like paper towels I might as well have delivered to my door and cut down on what I actually need to get at the store.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »
I wouldn't want go with Amazon or something like that for a lot of my food shopping, but other household supplies like paper towels I might as well have delivered to my door and cut down on what I actually need to get at the store.

There were a couple of grocery services around the turn of the century that my wife and I used a few times when the kids were babies.  Those services seem to have disappeared for about a decade, and now the concept is coming back.  I agree that it makes a lot of sense for non-food items, but no way I'd do it for most food items.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2020, 12:20:05 PM »
People like my sister who lives in NYC already use amazon for lots of basic grocery shopping because its just easier and it's already super expensive to shop in NYC so it's not much of a difference to just use amazon and save time and effort.

I already use amazon for everything else including papertowels and toilet paper.  Just easier to have it shipped than for me to carry it all around and spend an hour in a store dealing with people.  Food itself I haven't done yet, but I just can totally see that being a thing.  I mean, there's already those meal plans for fresh weekly meals delivered to you for you to cook.   Brick and mortar stores will mostly die out in the end  I think. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2020, 12:27:17 PM »
BJs does the same. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2020, 12:29:43 PM »
My ex hasn't bought groceries in about 6 months. She's got some app and does all her shopping on that. Two hours later, someone shows up (like ordering an uber) with all your stuff.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2020, 12:53:27 PM »
We have the stuff that we regularly get week-in and week-out delivered.  We then make a trip to a store about once a week or every other week to pick up random stuff.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2020, 01:21:00 PM »
I buy groceries on an as-needed basis, so I might make ten 5-10 minute trips to the store a week. As long as I'm not there for long, and I'm in a decent store in a decent neighborhood, I don't mind it at all. I know my way around the stores better than the people who work there. I know what's cheaper where. I rarely buy stuff that'll go to waste. Plus, I'm a 5 minute walk from two very good stores, and 15 from another. And living in a neighborhood full of hot college girls (sorry, Bill) and well-to-do twenty-somethings certainly doesn't hurt.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2020, 01:27:52 PM »
I buy groceries on an as-needed basis, so I might make ten 5-10 minute trips to the store a week. As long as I'm not there for long, and I'm in a decent store in a decent neighborhood, I don't mind it at all. I know my way around the stores better than the people who work there. I know what's cheaper where. I rarely buy stuff that'll go to waste. Plus, I'm a 5 minute walk from two very good stores, and 15 from another. And living in a neighborhood full of hot college girls (sorry, Bill) and well-to-do twenty-somethings certainly doesn't hurt.

No apologies necessary.  Six months ago and three and a half years from now, I'll agree with you.   :tup

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2020, 01:41:22 PM »

I'm the same way. I end up wasting so much food if I buy a bunch of stuff at a time and just pack my fridge and cabinets. I run out to the store and grab enough for two nights worth of dinner or so.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »

You bring up a good point on a reason why I enjoy doing grocery shopping.  There's always a few babes in yoga pants that is just as appetizing (if not more) as the food I'm looking to buy.  :lol

However, I'm not the type to make grocery runs often.  Once a week at most and if I don't have what I want during a weeknight, well thats a good reason for me to eat some old stuff that I've avoided.  I've gotten very good with not wasting food and also not spending too much on food the last 8 months or so since I've been living solo which makes my grocery runs pretty simple as I keep a running list on my phone that never gets too big.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »
8 years in grocery and I have a story of tackling a dude stealing beef.

So many more to tell.
I can hear it now...

"STOP, beef thief!" :rollin

So long as he didn't  try to steal bacon. :biggrin:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2020, 09:02:31 PM »
Two things:  one, I'm that sketchy guy with five things in his arms, moving back and forth behind the checkout lines, looking to see which line is moving (you look at the cashiers just as much as the patrons; you look to avoid that dead-eye'd robot look or the cashier who's gums are flapping like their reading one of my posts in P/R out loud).   

This got a legitimate LOL out of me.

As for the line... when at Costco, I always go for the line BESIDE the cashier with the hottest body.  Luckily, mrs.jingle despises Costco shopping, so I'm usually there on my own.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2020, 06:53:55 AM »
^^ This is why we're friends. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion