Poll

What rating do you give to Untethered Angel?

A
B
C
D
E
F

Author Topic: (POLL) What rating do you give to Untethered Angel?  (Read 5848 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: (POLL) What rating do you give to Untethered Angel?
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
Based on only 3 listens and the track sounding like they took an old homework assignment, switched a few things around and turned it in as something new just won't do.

I gave it a D.

That a very apt analogy.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
I gave it a D as I've got to practice for hangman for my upcoming roulette.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2018, 11:18:28 PM »
If you go by the comments, you would have thought that the overwhelming grade is D.  :lol

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2018, 06:49:07 AM »
Based on only 3 listens and the track sounding like they took an old homework assignment, switched a few things around and turned it in as something new just won't do.

I gave it a D.

You mean Dream Theater sound like Dream Theater? Wow, who’d have thought...

Offline Woodworker1

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2018, 07:10:44 AM »
UA started out as a "B" for me, then transitioned to a "A" after about 10 plays.

Sure, the song is a little predictable, but given the amount of music DT has recorded, it's hard to critisise them for sounding like themselves!

As someone stated in another thread, there is more going on in the song (Beneath the Surface) then is apparent in the first listen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2018, 07:11:08 AM »

I gave it a D.

I do not believe that is what he meant.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline T-ski

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2018, 07:20:45 AM »
C.

but C's get degrees. whatever that has to do with anything I'm not sure.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2018, 07:21:53 AM »
C.

but C's get degrees. whatever that has to do with anything I'm not sure.

Not graduate degrees they don't.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
But they dropped out of Berkley?

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »

I gave it a D.

I do not believe that is what he meant.

Good for him.

Offline pretorios

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2018, 09:34:57 AM »
I give the song a solid B. Love the vocal harmony and the solos. If there's a few things I can criticize: 1) very familiar opening, 2) The drums allow very little space for the other instruments to breathe.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2018, 12:03:17 AM »
2) The drums allow very little space for the other instruments to breathe.

How so? I think Mangini's restraint especially in JP and JR's solos allowed the other instruments to shine.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2018, 03:24:30 AM »
If you go by the comments, you would have thought that the overwhelming grade is D.  :lol

This applies to youtube videos and facebook posts as well.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2018, 03:42:28 AM »
Just another proof of the silent majority.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2018, 03:56:52 AM »
noxon, just a question considering you hear the album before most of us. Do you think they could choose another song for the first single for the positive feedbacks or UA is still the best for promote? If you can't answer I undertand.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2018, 04:29:10 AM »
At this point I don't think it matters what they release, there's going to be people bitching regardless. It's impossible to please everyone at this point, as DTs fanbase is so diverse and schizophrenic. I've heard people comment completely opposite things. "Best drum sound by Mangini so far" - "Still crappy drum sound by Mangini". "Finally a good sounding mix" - "This is the worst mix by DT yet". "Perfect, sounds just like DT" - "Shitty, sounds just like DT". How can you even navigate these kinds of comments?

Online nikatapi

« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2018, 05:35:07 AM »
At this point I don't think it matters what they release, there's going to be people bitching regardless. It's impossible to please everyone at this point, as DTs fanbase is so diverse and schizophrenic. I've heard people comment completely opposite things. "Best drum sound by Mangini so far" - "Still crappy drum sound by Mangini". "Finally a good sounding mix" - "This is the worst mix by DT yet". "Perfect, sounds just like DT" - "Shitty, sounds just like DT". How can you even navigate these kinds of comments?

That's true, you'll always have people loudly voicing their opinion. And unfortunately, many people are still bitter about MP leaving the band and find opportunities to negatively comment on anything they do.

The production problems on previous releases are not to be ignored, but UA indeed is an improvement.
The body of work that DT have released and the many changes they've been through will inevitably trigger both negative and positive reactions with everything they do. People are still complaining about JR and how he is not KM, so nothing new i would say.

Offline JLa

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:39 AM »
C. Stretching towards a B, but ... they can do better. And C is still great.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2018, 06:43:11 AM »

I wonder if someone bitched like that back when SFAM came out.

Btw, I did get the Walk beside the band thing.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2018, 06:46:00 AM »

:lol So true.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2018, 06:56:28 AM »
"Perfect, sounds just like DT" - "Shitty, sounds just like DT".

Reminds me of that flowchart about The Last Jedi that was around on the web... it had the question "Do you like the latest Star Wars movie?" and both the YES and NO option pointed as a result to "You're not a true Star Wars fan"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2018, 01:31:27 PM »
C. Just average.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
C

Doesn't really have a "wow" factor, but there's nothing wrong with the song either (though I do wish JLB's vocals weren't so effect-laden).

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »
I'm still thinking if the other songs in the album will have as many effects on the voice as this one, in that case, that would be shitty as hell.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline TL

« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2018, 08:45:13 PM »
Probably a C. The mix is super frustrating because when I really focus in, there are parts that I quite like. But if I'm just listening to the song normally, a lot of those cool and interesting bits fall by the wayside. Basically, they've recorded a pretty good song, but they put the pieces together in a way where it's difficult to appreciate.

The mix and mastering certainly aren't terrible, but they leave a lot to be desired. Some elements sound muffled, and it leaves a decent song sounding less impressive than it could. I'm still super excited about the new record. I just wish it sounded better (I remember having similar feelings about DT12, Good music stifled by sub par production. Though this isn't as bad at least). It's especially frustrating because as complicated as my thoughts were on The Astonishing, I felt the production on that album was a big step in the right direction. This song sounded less clear than that.

I was listening to the song on a streaming service I subscribe to. After it finished, a DT song from the early/mid 90s came on. The clarity of the mix was night and day. Nuances and details were just so much clearer, and this was from the same source, so it wasn't a matter of low quality online video versus local FLAC or anything. It really struck me, and bummed me out a little bit since it made it pretty clear that Untethered Angel would probably sound leaps better with a slightly better mix.

I'm still greatly looking forward to the rest of the record. It's just a bummer that the mixing is what it is.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2018, 05:51:54 AM »
Standing firm in my decision to listen to the album as a whole, I have to say it's easier than expected to just wait.

The hardest part is the day when the single is out - new music is officially out there and you're there biting your nails thinking that if only you'd want it, you could just listen to it like anybody else.... once the first 2 days have gone, it's all back to normal (as in "the new album isn't out yet"), and it's way easier to just wait  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2018, 06:29:41 AM »
Standing firm in my decision to listen to the album as a whole, I have to say it's easier than expected to just wait.

The hardest part is the day when the single is out - new music is officially out there and you're there biting your nails thinking that if only you'd want it, you could just listen to it like anybody else.... once the first 2 days have gone, it's all back to normal (as in "the new album isn't out yet"), and it's way easier to just wait  ;D

The same here. I even tend to forget there's an album coming out in February.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »
I was initially kinda disappointed, but like so many of their songs have, it grew on me like moss on fallen trees.

Went with B, because I'm sorta thinking about the scope of the whole album. This won't be the best song, but it will still be a solid track at the end of the day.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2018, 09:26:33 PM »
DoT is not the album we deserve, it's the album we need.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »
But they dropped out of Berkley?

Which one?
Berkeley, or Berklee. Sorry, I know, but I just had to in good spirit. :tup

I’ll give it an “A”, can’t wait for the rest of DoT.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 10:50:43 AM »
It's D for me.

+
*Clearer drum sounds comparing Mangini's era albums.
*Audible bass sound.

-
*Overproduced vocals. (Not that James is bad but the production is so bad.)
*Unnatural solo duelling between Jordan and John.
*It's more than just a resemblance that it sounds like Outcry, especially the first half.
*Clearer drum sound but yet again it's so ordinary nothing exciting.
*So generic guitar tones.
*I simply don't love Jordan solos anymore. They were great on Scenes and SDOIT but then... I mean they are so long and sounds out of place most of the time. Guess it's not my cup of tea.

Totally agree.  No improvement about the drums and bass sound.  And about the song, to me it's repetitive, déjà vu melody.  I'm curious about what will be the album.  And until I heard about the setlist they will perform, I'm not buying any tickets.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »
I think that the bit between the first and second chorus is absolutely outstanding. Hopefully, that is a good enough a description that people know what I am taking about. It makes me think about Ravenskill, where my favorite part of the song - the banging riff near the end - is only played for like 30 seconds. Stop teasing me, dammit!

Interestingly, I played the song in my car the other day and felt like the bass was kind of low. But there are people saying the bass is actually really audible. Maybe I just have a personal problem...
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2019, 10:56:50 AM »
I think that the bit between the first and second chorus is absolutely outstanding. Hopefully, that is a good enough a description that people know what I am taking about. It makes me think about Ravenskill, where my favorite part of the song - the banging riff near the end - is only played for like 30 seconds. Stop teasing me, dammit!

:lol  Yup.  You've seen my posts about my exchange with JP over that bit in Ravenskill, right?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2019, 06:38:08 AM »

:lol  Yup.  You've seen my posts about my exchange with JP over that bit in Ravenskill, right?

Ah, yes. I think I have. Did he agree that the riff was really good, but they just wanted to keep it short, or did he have no idea that it would hit people the way it did?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »

I didn't!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol