Author Topic: My ranking of the Dream Theater albums  (Read 12448 times)

Offline MHStrawn

Re: My ranking of the Dream Theater albums
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2021, 10:09:23 AM »
Everything after 6DOIT is "For collectors"?   That seems a bit harsh, even for a non-fan.  Even if it's not your favorite, just the title track makes Octavarium more than just "for collectors".

I find it odd that 74/100 only qualifies as "meh - for collectors."  Even more odd is that albums scoring 65, 75, 85 and 95 would fall, simultaneously, into two different categories.  In other words, an album scoring a 75 is both "meh - for collectors" AND "good - worth having."  Awake is, at the same time, both "good - worth having" and "very good - must have for DT fan."

FII and SDOIT are only 1-2 points into the "good - worth having" range.  Otherwise, MHStrawn seems to think only three albums (plus side 1 of ACOS) are worth much of anything.

You:  So, what do you think of the new (name your band) album? 

Me:  It's good!  Definitely worth having! 

You:  Oh, so you don't think it's worth much of anything. 

Me:  Um....that's pretty much the opposite of what I said but....if that's what you take from it. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
Everything after 6DOIT is "For collectors"?   That seems a bit harsh, even for a non-fan.  Even if it's not your favorite, just the title track makes Octavarium more than just "for collectors".

I find it odd that 74/100 only qualifies as "meh - for collectors."  Even more odd is that albums scoring 65, 75, 85 and 95 would fall, simultaneously, into two different categories.  In other words, an album scoring a 75 is both "meh - for collectors" AND "good - worth having."  Awake is, at the same time, both "good - worth having" and "very good - must have for DT fan."

FII and SDOIT are only 1-2 points into the "good - worth having" range.  Otherwise, MHStrawn seems to think only three albums (plus side 1 of ACOS) are worth much of anything.

Me:  Um....that's pretty much the opposite of what I said but....if that's what you take from it.

I'm not sure snark is warranted; you've got two pretty smart people (well, one and me) and we had questions.   You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but rest easy, if it was that clear one of us would have figured it out on our own.  ;) 

Online Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2021, 06:32:39 AM »
With Dream Theater is it so hard to rank albums, because... the ones I do not enjoy that much, are obviously ones that I don't listen to enough. Listening carefully is the perfect cure to raise the value of an album. Having said, if I had to rank them now, I'll throw them in some groups, to follow a perfect example from the first page.

Good: Falling into Infinity / Systematic Chaos / The Astonishing / Distance over Time
Great: When Dream and Day Unite / Images & Words / Awake / Scenes from a Memory / Octavarium
Brilliant: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence / a Dramatic Turn of Events / Dream Theater
Perfect: Train of Thought & Black Clouds & Silver Linings

The EP Change of Seasons would be 'good', the song thought, is perfect. If I had to rank live albums, it would be like this...

Good: Live at the Marquee / Once in a Livetime
Great: Live Scenes from New York / Score / Chaos in Motion / Distant Memories
Brilliant: Live in Budokan / Breaking the Fourth Wall
Perfect: Live in Luna Park
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #108 on: July 12, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »
Perfect: . . . Black Clouds & Silver Linings

There's two things that have rarely, if ever, been put together.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2021, 09:57:50 AM »
Perfect: . . . Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Ya, that got a major Spock eyebrow from me as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2021, 01:15:15 PM »

Actually it's more like:

Forum: Rank The Dream Theater Albums

You: 6+7x(24 x 8)-(24x7)=7/8∞450 > 11 = Good  --but-- 6+7x(24 x 8)-(24x7)=7/8∞450 > 11 = Meh

Forum: wut?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2021, 11:48:54 PM »

Not totally on topic here, but for the most part, for newbs to this kind of music I only recommend I&W and Scenes- at that point you’re either a fan or not. If someone actually likes those albums I would recommend they check out the entire discography, because it’s all worth a listen. If they aren’t digging it, then it’s unlikely any of the other albums will convert them.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2021, 05:54:46 PM »
I’ve been a fan since IAW was first released, and I think 8V is their masterpiece. I always refer newbs to that album specifically. It is the perfect cross-section of every facet of the band’s sound.

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »

I know they're not much out there who feel the same. But to me a Nightmare is a absolute masterpeace. A Rite of Passage and Wither are great songs, but especially the Shattered Fortress brings a perfect closure to the Twelve Step Suite. And than, the Count of Tuscany will forever be in my top 3 Dream Theater songs. So therefore, this album is truly special for me. Only Best of Times I do not like that much, althought that fact that Portnoy played it for his daddy close before he died, is very nice and emotional.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2021, 06:11:24 AM »
I’ve been a fan since IAW was first released, and I think 8V is their masterpiece. I always refer newbs to that album specifically. It is the perfect cross-section of every facet of the band’s sound.

I agree with you that Octavarium has a lot of variety, but if I can push back just a bit ;), even though I like (not love) both songs, I don't think I would want The Answer Lies Within and I Walk Beside You to be two of the first four songs a potential new fan hears by Dream Theater, which is why 8V is not an album I'd recommend as a starter, but that's me.  First impressions are always important, IMO.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2021, 10:44:23 AM »

I agree with you that Octavarium has a lot of variety, but if I can push back just a bit ;), even though I like (not love) both songs, I don't think I would want The Answer Lies Within and I Walk Beside You to be two of the first four songs a potential new fan hears by Dream Theater, which is why 8V is not an album I'd recommend as a starter, but that's me.  First impressions are always important, IMO.

I like TALW, but I think IWBY is probably a bottom 10 DT song, so I agree with that and would also add Never Enough (if for no other reason than it would necessitate talking about all of the history behind the crybaby lyrics).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline darkshade

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2021, 06:23:12 PM »

I know they're not much out there who feel the same. But to me a Nightmare is a absolute masterpeace. A Rite of Passage and Wither are great songs, but especially the Shattered Fortress brings a perfect closure to the Twelve Step Suite. And than, the Count of Tuscany will forever be in my top 3 Dream Theater songs. So therefore, this album is truly special for me. Only Best of Times I do not like that much, althought that fact that Portnoy played it for his daddy close before he died, is very nice and emotional.

I'm with you. I actually think TBOT is great, and I actually find BC&SL to be a flawed masterpiece, and like a bad movie that's so bad it's good, I like BC&SL for its flaws and for its greatness, whereas I really do not like the flaws of Mangini-era albums. My main issue with BC&SL is it's the hardest album to hear the bass, and many of the vocal melodies run parallel to what the other instruments are playing, instead of being independent of what everyone else is playing. This album is the last classic JLB album, as after this his vocals have become drenched in effects on the studio albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2021, 07:56:39 PM »

I like TALW, but I think IWBY is probably a bottom 10 DT song, so I agree with that and would also add Never Enough (if for no other reason than it would necessitate talking about all of the history behind the crybaby lyrics).

I don't have the energy to litigate the validity of the lyrics in Never Enough again :lol, but I will just say that a first time listener likely wouldn't figure out immediately what the song is about, unless they somehow knew the backstory beforehand.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2021, 08:00:35 PM »
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the lyrics to Never Enough.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2021, 10:37:10 PM »

I think they are important. Not only to the album, but as a part of what Dream Theater IS.

One of the first things that completely hooked me about this band was the 1-2 “punch” of Pull Me Under to Another Day.  If you are going to like this band, you need to know right out of the gate that you are going to get “Metallica” one minute, and “Kenny G” the next.

Going from TROAE, to TALW, to TW, to IWBY is a perfect cross section of all the different sounds that DT is capable of manifesting.

EDIT - in fact, I challenge you to name a DT album with more variety in the first four songs than the one I just mentioned. IAW comes close but still isn’t quite as varied as the first 4 from 8V

Offline emtee

« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2021, 04:20:27 AM »
For me, even though I love 8V,  they not only overutilized inspiration corner, they actually tried to mimick other bands. Even in the way James was asked to sing.  Mike was mesmerized by Muse back then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2021, 06:15:19 AM »

I think they are important. Not only to the album, but as a part of what Dream Theater IS.

One of the first things that completely hooked me about this band was the 1-2 “punch” of Pull Me Under to Another Day.  If you are going to like this band, you need to know right out of the gate that you are going to get “Metallica” one minute, and “Kenny G” the next.

Going from TROAE, to TALW, to TW, to IWBY is a perfect cross section of all the different sounds that DT is capable of manifesting.

EDIT - in fact, I challenge you to name a DT album with more variety in the first four songs than the one I just mentioned. IAW comes close but still isn’t quite as varied as the first 4 from 8V

I am not challenging the variety, but variety for variety's sake when the songwriting isn't very good is not necessarily a good thing.  Pull Me Under and Another Day work as a great 1-2 punch as a starter because both songs are awesome (and the fanbase by and large agrees).  The "Kenny G" song on 8V, The Answer Lies Within, is not highly regarded by the fanbase (by and large).  I totally get the logic of giving a new potential fan an album with lots of variety, but I think high quality is needed as well, and, IMO, you don't get that on a consistent level at the start of 8V.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 06:21:55 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2021, 06:19:16 AM »
For me, even though I love 8V,  they not only overutilized inspiration corner, they actually tried to mimick other bands. Even in the way James was asked to sing.  Mike was mesmerized by Muse back then.

Very true. Actually I think the first 4 songs from ADTOE has amazing variety. That would be my #1 pick on that topic.

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2021, 06:22:06 AM »

I don't know if it's actually more variety, but Six Degrees, with Glass Prison / Blind Faith / Misunderstood and the Great Debate - to me - is splended variety as well. Every aspect of the band is involved in these four songs.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2021, 08:22:15 AM »
As much as I like Octavarium, the variation on that album comes off to me as more imitation than integration, in regards to how it connects to the band's wider sound. If I was trying to recommend Dream Theater to someone, I wouldn't go with a song like Never Enough because that wouldn't really show if they like Dream Theater, it'd probably show if they like Muse instead. It's like their Hail to the King in that sense. I think albums like ADToE and SDoIT strike closer to the band's signature identity as a band, while still remaining broad.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2021, 09:20:06 AM »

I don't have the energy to litigate the validity of the lyrics in Never Enough again :lol, but I will just say that a first time listener likely wouldn't figure out immediately what the song is about, unless they somehow knew the backstory beforehand.

I'm not suggesting the feelings that led to the lyrics weren't valid.  The verses display all the maturity of a teenage YouTuber, and that's apparent whether or not one knows the back story.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2021, 07:43:02 PM »
Scenes from a Memory A++
Images and Words A+-
Awake A+
Train of Thought A
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence A-
Octavarium B++
Falling into Infinity B+
A Dramatic Turn of Events B
Systematic Chaos B-
Black Clouds and Silver Linings B--
When Dream and Day Unite C
Dream Theater C-
Distance over Time C--
The Astonishing F-----------------------------------

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2021, 07:44:47 PM »
Welcome to DTF DTwwbwMP!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2021, 07:45:48 PM »
Been away a long while ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2021, 07:53:23 PM »
Were you someone else before?

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2021, 05:43:07 PM »
hmmmm....perhaps ;) :P :laugh: :justjen :huh:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: August 03, 2021, 03:25:19 AM »
Great :

1. Octavarium
2. Scenes From A Memory
3. Six Degrees
4. Distance Over Time
5. Train Of Thought

Good :

6. The Astonishing
7. Dream Theater
8. A Dramatic Turn of Events
9. Falling Into Infinity
10. Images And Words

Not my favourites :

11. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
12. Awake
13. Systematic Chaos
14. When Dream & Day Unite

The 'Epics'

1. Octavarium
2. Six Degrees
3. The Count Of Tuscany
4. Illumination Theory
5. In The Presence Of Enemies
6. A Change OF Seasons

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2021, 03:39:02 PM »
Great:
1. Scenes From A Memory
2. Images & Words
3. Awake
4. Train Of Thought
5. Six Degrees

VERY Good:
6. Octavarium
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. A Dramatic Turn of Events

Good:
9. Systematic Chaos
10. Black Clouds and Silver Linings

Average:
11. When Dream and Day Unite
12. Dream Theater
13. Distance over Time

DO NOT LIKE AT ALL (other than 3 songs - TGOM, ANB & ONW)
14. The "un" Astonishing :facepalm:

The 'Epics'
GREAT:
1. A Change OF Seasons
2. Octavarium
3. Six Degrees

VERY GOOD
4. The Count Of Tuscany
5. In The Presence Of Enemies
6. Illumination Theory

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2021, 03:39:52 PM »

He was Nicholas.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2021, 03:48:26 PM »

He was Nicholas.

....or maybe Victoria :P

Offline BlacklistJones

« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2021, 08:18:29 PM »
Scenes From a Memory
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Awake
Images and Words
A Dramatic Turn of Events
Falling Into Infinity
DT12
Octavarium
Distance Over Time
A Change of Seasons
Train of Thought
Systematic Chaos
Black Clouds and Silver Linings
The Astonishing

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2021, 11:17:29 PM »
Slightly off topic, but went for a run yesterday, and just shuffled my DT library. A bunch of songs came up in random order from "The Astonishing", and I thoroughly enjoyed them. All good if some don't connect with it, but for me, that album really has some great music on, with some real gems.

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2021, 11:26:25 PM »

This is what I love about the band. Black Clouds is at the bottom of the rankings for me: I find Nightmare a hot mess other than the beautiful agony section, A Rite of Passage and Wither are real bottom tier "mailing it in" tracks for me, Shattered fortress is not bad if a bit unnecessarily bloated and long, Best of times I never revisit and just does zero for me other than the Rush-inspired solo intro and I have always loved the Count. I dont write this to be argumentative or negative, just to point out that what doesn't work for me, someone else sees beauty in and there are so many stories like that from so many DT albums. It's terrific we can all get some joy out of the band in so many different ways and through different songs/albums  :tup

Online Wim Kruithof

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2021, 12:18:33 PM »
jayvee3, couldn’t agree more. There’s so much out there to (re)discover. To me, I’m currently more into the lyrics and that brings a whole new level of beauty in some tracks. For example the Ministry of Lost Souls, beautiful writings in there.

The more I find out and discover, the more my respect and love for the band have grown.