Author Topic: My ranking of the Dream Theater albums  (Read 6535 times)

Offline MHStrawn

Re: My ranking of the Dream Theater albums
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2021, 10:09:23 AM »
Everything after 6DOIT is "For collectors"?   That seems a bit harsh, even for a non-fan.  Even if it's not your favorite, just the title track makes Octavarium more than just "for collectors".

I find it odd that 74/100 only qualifies as "meh - for collectors."  Even more odd is that albums scoring 65, 75, 85 and 95 would fall, simultaneously, into two different categories.  In other words, an album scoring a 75 is both "meh - for collectors" AND "good - worth having."  Awake is, at the same time, both "good - worth having" and "very good - must have for DT fan."

FII and SDOIT are only 1-2 points into the "good - worth having" range.  Otherwise, MHStrawn seems to think only three albums (plus side 1 of ACOS) are worth much of anything.

You:  So, what do you think of the new (name your band) album? 

Me:  It's good!  Definitely worth having! 

You:  Oh, so you don't think it's worth much of anything. 

Me:  Um....that's pretty much the opposite of what I said but....if that's what you take from it. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Re: My ranking of the Dream Theater albums
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »
Everything after 6DOIT is "For collectors"?   That seems a bit harsh, even for a non-fan.  Even if it's not your favorite, just the title track makes Octavarium more than just "for collectors".

I find it odd that 74/100 only qualifies as "meh - for collectors."  Even more odd is that albums scoring 65, 75, 85 and 95 would fall, simultaneously, into two different categories.  In other words, an album scoring a 75 is both "meh - for collectors" AND "good - worth having."  Awake is, at the same time, both "good - worth having" and "very good - must have for DT fan."

FII and SDOIT are only 1-2 points into the "good - worth having" range.  Otherwise, MHStrawn seems to think only three albums (plus side 1 of ACOS) are worth much of anything.

You:  So, what do you think of the new (name your band) album? 

Me:  It's good!  Definitely worth having! 

You:  Oh, so you don't think it's worth much of anything. 

Me:  Um....that's pretty much the opposite of what I said but....if that's what you take from it.

I'm not sure snark is warranted; you've got two pretty smart people (well, one and me) and we had questions.   You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but rest easy, if it was that clear one of us would have figured it out on our own.  ;)